Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on February 8, 2012
After extensive research on printers,I decided to purchase this HP Envy 114.It had the options I wanted and got great reviews from people on Amazon and from other comments elsewhere.
I have three different operating systems in my home.Mac Lion, Mac Snow Leopard and Windows 7. All three OS loaded flawlessly.All OS loaded from a single CD that came with the printer.I was able to setup the Network through my home WiFi with absolutely no difficulty at all.The software did it all.All I needed to do was follow the instructions as the disc loaded the software on all three of my computers.
You can tilt the display menu to fit your preference.You can set the printer to stay in idle mode so it's continually ready for print from any room or computer in the home.Or even set it to a timer to shut down.The paper loads from the front bottom of the printer.The tray easily pulls out when needed to be filled.The printed page spews from the front as well.The display menu and paper extension automatically recesses back inside the printer after you grab the print.It is so much more quieter than the Cannon I owed.The speed is very good also.I have not yet tried to use my iTouch through air print or the e-print feature as of yet,but I see no reason why it wouldn't be as flawless just the same.
Before you load the software on your computer,be sure to load the paper,ink and plug in the printer and follow the instructions from the printer's menu first,then proceed to load the software in your computer(s)
The instruction has a web site address that offers 20 free faxes a month.So if needed, you can fax the odd time without cost to you through the web without using a phone line.

I will gladly update in perhaps about 6 months time to review the durability.

Take care.
33 comments|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 2012
After 4 years, my photosmart 4200 decided it no longer wanted to accept its cartridges, I decided to simply buy a new printer.

The envy simply stands apart from most printers as it simply feels more solidly well built, it's much heavier than most but probably more than it needs to be - the thing IS heavy, perhaps that's why it's ultra quiet when printing.

The set up is easy if you plan to use a cable. If you plan to use it wirelessly - beware, the set up may be a bit more cumbersome. My windows computer could not recognize/discover the printer's IP address, it took me an hour with tech support to successfully set up.

THE REASON I TOOK IT BACK: If, like me, you use your printer for work related documents, beware - THIS PRINTER CANNOT PRINT ON LEGAL SIZED PAPER. Like Apple, HP has sacrificed the practical for the aesthetic. I understand what the designers wanted to do, by hiding the tray and paper under the machine, hence making it a wonderful looking living room accessory but - they could have built an opening on the tray, on the off chance one wanted to print legal-sized paper. Also, for a printer at this price point, having just two cartridge slots: black & color, will almost certainly make your ink replacement budget higher.

If you want printer that is not your typical noisy, bulky, cheaply built plastic fare - this may be the one. However, if you run a home based business, or print different sized work documents from home, beware of its limitations.
1717 comments|155 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 15, 2012
I already have one of these and we have used it for about 6 months and loved it so much, I just bought another. It takes up very little space and does what we need it to do. It is not a really high volume printer, so if you want one of those, this is not the right one for you. I wanted a wireless printer that I could print from for any of our devices: ipads, macbook pros, imacs, airbooks. And this does it without any problems.It does require attention to detail when setting this up, so try not to take any shortcuts. All in all, HP did this printer right!
on January 30, 2012
This printer is not for you if you plan to use it a lot. Access to paper is not super convenient.
HOWEVER, if you are interested in a sleek, sharp, quiet inkjet printer that is ePrint and iPad AirPrint compatible, then this is the one to get. It is heavy, it is quiet, it moves all by itself and just amazing to watch as you print something from the iPad. Then, it closes the door by itself. My family was just in awe.
on May 6, 2012
UPDATE: 11/30/12
I just wanted to provide an update. I have used this printer weekly over the last six months. Not heavy use but used with my iPhone, Macs, & iPads. It has performed flawlessly over the past six months. I also enjoy using the scanner for the occasional need. I have hid the printer within one of my media center cabinets. Hands down, this is my favorite AirPrint network printer. HP even updated the drivers to be used with Windows 8. I remain very positive about this printer & looks like I will be using it for a several years. In printer years, that is an eternity!

After reading the reviews here (mostly good) and getting a recommendation from Apple employees, I went down to Best Buy (they match a $175 price) & picked up this puppy. Just for the record, I own the following devices; MacBook Pro, two iMacs, all three generations of the iPads, iPhone 4S, HP TouchPad (use for an alarm clock), & 23" HP TouchSmart 600 All-in-One using Windows 7. Yes, I am a geek!

I already have a Brother Color Laser for high quality print jobs. But none of my mobile devices will connect to it. I wanted another printer that would work on my home network and was AirPrint compatible.First, you will notice this printer is well made with a glass scanner. The setup instructions sort of suck. But none were really needed. Out of the box, just remove all the protective tape, insert the two ink cartridges, fill the paper draw, and then plug it in. Then set it to your wifi network by following the instructions on the printer. It found my network, prompted me for my password, and connected in seconds. I then inserted the CD into my main iMac and the Windows 7 machine. Within minutes both computers were connected and printing to the HP Envy. I then took out my iPads and iPhone. Instantly the printer showed and without incident I was printing from my devices. I repeated it with HP's tablet as well. This is simply AMAZING!! All my devices now can print to this printer. The black quality is excellent and the color is very good for an inkjet. I am extremely pleased with this purchases thus far. I will let you know if I have any issues down the road. But for now, HP deserves some praise!! This is one sweet printer. Well done HP. I highly recommend this printer!
on March 30, 2012
I wanted to love this printer. It has got to be the most beautiful printer ever. The fact that you cannot tell it is a printer and that there is no paper hanging out to give it away was a selling feature to me. However, this printer is truly form over function.

PROS:
- Beautiful
- Whisper Silent
- Decent black-ink printing speed
- Ridiculously easy set up
- Smaller footprint
- Rarely feeds papers crooked
- Large touch screen with decent performance

CONS:
- Will not allow custom paper sizes
- Limited print options (cannot fine-tune print quality, about of ink used)
- Jams on heavier paper
- Slow color print speed
- Washes out colors

The worst con has got to be that after just a few dozen prints, the backs of my papers became smeared. I don't know if it's because I was using heavier/thicker paper, but it was annoying.

I wanted to love this printer, but I'm returning it today.
on March 6, 2012
I have owned several printers, and more recently a couple of wireless printers that I wanted to drop-kick out the window, when time and time again I'd encounter connection issues.

I needed a printer I could print from a Dell laptop, MacBook Pro, iPad2, and two iPhones. This was it!

Out of the box and within minutes it was installed and devices were detecting it. I did not need a USB cable to connect for setup. I love the touchscreen, and the automatic mechanism that moves the paper catch arm out when it's ready to print. It's sleek, small, and attractive. Much smaller than any printer I've had before.

Anyone looking for a printer with AirPrint ability, this is a great pick!
on July 2, 2012
This is truly a beautiful printer.

Allow me to digress. One of the saddest things in technology in the last decade has been the demise of HP. It's hard to imagine now, but there was a time when a HP product was like Apple products now. The HP name meant innovation, and it meant quality. Steve Jobs himself, among other tech greats, looked up to Hewlett Packard as the gold standard.

Sadly, HP printers and other products have fallen victim to the "disposable tech" trend. Most of what HP (and other tech titans) make now is crappy, plasticky junk that is built to be thrown out in a year.

This HP ENVY printer is different. It looks fantastic. Finally, a printer that can reside in the living room without looking like a drunken engineer's effort. It's sleek, lean, and beautiful. The touch screen works well. The way the paper fits inside, without being exposed, is perfection.
When you print with this printer, the front touch screen opens up, robotically, and the paper starts coming out the front. It even prints double sided without the monkey business of trying to stick the paper back in manually (and inevitably messing up the orientation). When you pull the sheet out of the export tray, the touch screen closes by itself.

Once you get the printer configured and on your wireless network, you can effortlessly print from any of the iPads or iPhones that live in your abode. It feels like magic to print wirelessly from an iPhone.

My only quibble about this printer is for me, it took 2 profanity-laced hours to get the software to configure on my Mac. At first, the Mac said it was downloading software, and then it said it couldn't get the software and I had to contact HP. After stubbornly using the "brute force" method of endlessly looping the process, I got it to work. You may not have as much trouble as I had- my Mac is a few years old. The annoying thing is HP as a company is so crappy that they hide their support phone number so you can't call them to get help.

But once this thing is running, it is sublime.

This is what a printer should be in 2012.
on March 3, 2012
My thoughts after about a month's use.

I bought this printer after my 10 year old HP Officejet Pro 2200 gave up the ghost. I loved that printer - built like a tank, large paper tray, the ink cartridges lasted FOREVER, fast printing, good color printer.

The Envy looks nice, takes up little space, is surprisingly heavy and the scanner works fine but is slow. (Why can't a flat bed scanner be fast?) Big plus is the wireless printing for tablets including the iPad.

However after 10 years HP is unable or unwilling to make an inkjet that is as good as my 2200 was. Sigh.

Things I am not thrilled about - It DEVOURS ink, color printing is so-so, small and somewhat difficult to open paper tray. No envelope printing guide.

Living with it but wishing I had my old printer in working condition.
on March 29, 2012
My Lexmark printer recently died. I went to look for a new printer and this printer caught my attention. Aside from being aesthetically pleasing, it is completely rectangular, without anything "sticking" out of it. I now have more space on my table which is a good thing. The paper goes INSIDE the printer which saves additional space and the printer can print on both sides (duplex).

Wireless setup was a breeze and so far (2 weeks) I don't have any issues.

The printer is heavy for its size - it is well built and NOT cheaply made. The top flap (opens to the scanner area) closes gradually and does not slam. Only thing is that the printer is on the expensive side, that is why 4 stars only.