5.0 out of 5 stars HP Envy 3290el
First of all be warned that I don't have this exact model, but Envy 17-3290el which shows the following differences:

- processor: Intel i7 3612QM instead of 3610QM (slightly lower power consumption)
- monitor: 2D instead of 3D
- disc: only 1Tb HDD, no SSD drive

I made the following additions to the product:

- Crucial m4 256Gb...
Published 22 months ago by Chine

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay product, awful support.
Performance is not that great, WiDi doesnt work, doesnt have switchable graphics as advertised. HP support is awful. Do not buy this (or any HP for that matter) if you will need any kind of support. I had always been a HP customer, but based on the kind of support I got this time, I will never buy from HP again.
Published 16 months ago by manyvan2000

5.0 out of 5 stars HP Envy 3290el, September 14, 2012
This review is from: HP Envy 17-3290NR 17.3-Inch 3D Laptop (Silver) (Personal Computers)

- monitor: 2D instead of 3D
- disc: only 1Tb HDD, no SSD drive

I made the following additions to the product:

- Crucial m4 256Gb mSata SSD drive: the 1Tb magnetic drive is a bad performance bottleneck and the 256Gb SSD used as system drive allows the computer to run 3-4 Windows XP or Linux virtual machines flawlessly
- matte screen protector: the glass-covered display is way too reflective, so that the matte cover improves usability radically
- wireless mouse: I just can't get used to any touchpad, but that's probably my fault

Good things:

- performances: great CPU, good GPU, fast with SSD drive
- expansion: good. 1 Sata6 2.5" bay, 1 Sata3 2.5" bay, 1 Sata6 mSata bay, 4 usb3, 1 Hdmi, 2 Display port
- battery: lasts up to 6-7 hours of my normal use (internet, writing, light web development) and 3 hours of intensive gaming. I appreciate HP battery management, as it doesn't continue to charge a full battery when connected to the network: I had this problems with Acer notebooks and it took painfully careful management or the battery would die too soon
- display: good, not an IPS one, but a TN display with good viewing angle, contrast and color rendition; just too reflective
- audio: just the greatest notebook audio I ever heard
- keyboard: good. To dim/increase backlight you should press the keyboard backlight button plus up/down arrows (this was not in the manuals and I had some issue as it was my first backlit keyboard)
- heating: none at all. Unless the battery is charging, the 120w adapter stays cold or just a little above room temperature. Putting a roof to CPU performance at 99% in battery management in order to disable turbo boost, CPU and GPU stay below 50 C even with intensive gaming and CAD/CAE

Bad things:

- display too reflective, but with a matte screen protector you wave this problem goodbye
- problems with the installation of Windows 7 from recovery discs. After several trials I even gave up trying to install from the recovery discs to SSD drive: I finally downloaded Windows 7 Home Premium 64 from Microsoft website, made an installation DVD and registered through the registration key on the bottom of the computer. However, this way I lost the Adobe Premiere/Potoshop Elements and I am still looking for a way that get those back
- support: well, the good thing is that you can find a lot of help in disussion forums. Tha bad is just too bad: at the first problem i get a "Shut down and disconnect the battery" suggestion from italian support, which doesn't fit with the integrated battery, and the support should know...
- size: well, if you choose this notebook, just remember that it's size and weight are huge compared to some more expensive or less performing alternatives, altough it's smaller than gaming laptops with similar performances

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to upgrade, December 19, 2012
I'm very pleased with this Envy. The price was great and it was easy to upgrade to 16GB of RAM, add a nice SSD and third drive (you need to get the drive carrier from another company--I used newmodeus and it was perfect).

The build quality is pretty strong and it's a fast machine. It replaced an aging Dell Studio 1745. Like others said, the battery is integrated, but I never swapped batteries in my Dell. While I wish the battery would hang on a little longer, it''s adequate enough to lug into the conference room for 1-2 meetings.

Yes, it is a large machine. It serves a niche for those of us that want a single machine that does it all. The Envy fits the bill nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great desktop replacement., December 18, 2012
Received mine from Amazon at the beginning of the month and am very pleased. Mine did come with the Norton 2 years free. The 3D works fine. System start up is lightning fast. The light up keyboard is great and the machine runs pretty quiet and stays cool. Although I'm not thrilled that the 80gb hard drive is so small, I'm happy that it's a SSD. I foresee a day not too far in the future where it will fill up quickly and at that point I plan on replacing the drive with something larger but also SSD. I just have to try to make sure everything that's non-operating system is installed on the D drive. The D drive is partitioned into two additional smaller drives for a Recovery Tool and Recovery Data.

There wasn't much bloatware on the system, which is great for once. The speakers are rather nice for a laptop, it has two headphone jacks on the left side and two display ports and an HDMI port on the right side. Unfortunately, the HDMI port is too far up on the right side. So, it's near your mouse hand if you're right handed. However, on the rare occasions I plug my computer into an HDMI cord, it's because I'm using my computer for whatever reason with my TV; so wouldn't be using my computer directly anyway..but still annoying nonetheless. I like the touchpad, which is unusual for me. It operates multi-touch kind of like an I-pad or I-pod. You can also turn it on or off directly through the touchpad by double-tapping in the corner of it. The screen is glossy and the colors are vivid thanks to the glossiness. However, this also means it reflects like crazy. But, this being a 17" laptop and not that portable--for me anyway, I don't really see this as an issue as it probably won't be leaving home. One thing that worries me is the slot drive. I can see this possibly being an issue at some point in the future but will deal with it when it happens. There's an eject button on the keyboard. Another nice thing I like is the keyboard function key locks so you don't have to hold down the function key when using a function button. Also, love the num pad. This is a great desktop replacement!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought This Laptop for My Dad, December 31, 2012
D. Holland (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
The Envy is a great line of laptops. They're built well, they look good, and they deliver straightforward computing with no surprises. I set this laptop up for my Dad before giving it to him and I'm happy to report there was very little in the way of promotional software that had to be uninstalled.

Personally, I would never buy the 17" model for myself as it really becomes more of a desktop replacement at that point and not very mobile. However, my Dad loves the larger size and he is very happy with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars HP Envy 17 3D, November 11, 2012
It is very good more then what I expected...perfect desktop replacement Laptop..
Only concern is 80GB SSD Hard Drive, it should have been at least 128GB. Overall very much satisfied.

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay product, awful support., March 7, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, December 17, 2012
This is fantastic. The laptop have everything I need, and a extra bay for another 2.5 Hard Disk. I Recommend another SSD 1 TB for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop!, June 5, 2013
Jason Arnold (Hanover, MD USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this laptop for business use - it has lots of internal storage expandability (2 internal 2.5" drive bays plus an mSATA boot SSD). So far it's worked out very well with no issues.

1.0 out of 5 stars Merchandise damaged, unprotected and does not meet the description/ Mercancia dañada, desprotegida y no cumple con la descripció, May 28, 2013
NOTE: I am writing to express my dissatisfaction and discontent with the state of the 3D glasses is the hp laptop i7 Envy 3D. Today after much waiting, when picking the goods at the branch libertyexpress of Venezuela, we observed the state of deterioration (broken) of one of the lenses of the 3D glasses, as well the protection lack All merchandise being a very delicate and expensive. The laptop also came beaten.

NOTA: Les escribo mi insatisfacion y descontento por el estado en se encuentra los lentes 3D de la laptop hp Envy i7 3D. Hoy despues de tanto esperar, al momento de retirar la mercancia en la sucursal libertyexpress de Venezuela, se pudo observar el estado de deterioro (roto) de uno de los cristales de los lentes 3D, como tambien la falta de proteccion de toda la mercancia siendo un equipo muy delicado y costoso. La laptop tambien vino golpeada.

1.0 out of 5 stars nothing to envy, December 28, 2012
The firsy dvd I put in got hung up on a piece of rubber inside the computer. The dvd wouldnt eject until I ran a paper clip inside the slot to clear the rubber gasket that had become dislodged inside the computer. On day two the hard drive became un detectable. After numerous calls to hp, all of which had a 40 minute hold before I could reach someone, I sent that piece of junk back to the seller. Not the quality I expect from a product costing as much as it did. Come on hp step your game up.

HP Envy 17-3290NR 17.3-Inch 3D Laptop (Silver)
Used & New from: $690.00