1,376 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing printer for the price
Did not expect a lot for a printer this inexpensive, but needed on to replace an old monster for which printer cartridges have become hard to find (and expensive). Picked this one based on the promise of easy print from phone/tablet. I have tried other mobile print options and they have never worked to my liking but for this price, what the heck.

Set up was...
Published 17 months ago by Midmofan

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice footprint, nice look, but loud!
Published 16 months ago by Amazon Customer Since Amazon S...

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing printer for the price, October 1, 2013
This review is from: HP Envy 4500 Wireless Color Photo Printer with Scanner and Copier (Office Product)

Set up was easy - never even opened the picture book or the instruction guide. I used the USB cable option to the computer since I had one from the old printer that fit and just assumed it would be a more reliable connection but you can hook it to computer either through a wireless network or directly with the printers own wi-fi.

On screen prompts easy to follow. the Disk that comes with the printer, after you load it, gives you the option of loading everything from the disk or from the web. I chose the web option as it promised to have the latest updates if any. Again no problem on the set up. HP does walk you through a lot of screens to get you to sign up for things and watch what boxes you are checking if you don't want email ads or data checking. One thing you will want to do is give the printer its own email address. You do this during the set-up and have to print out a special code from the printer you will type into a field.

After all hooked up it prompts you to print off a test page then have the printer scan the page. The initial print quality was not very good but assumed that could be from ink that has been sitting in the box for a while. Ran the clean cartridge option and tried again and the print quality was very very good for a unit this size and price. You need to do the scan so it can fine-tune the print quality.

Printer allows you to print, copy, scan. You can scam a photo or document to file, directly to an email or in TIFF format.

The real star of this is the mobile printing option. You have to download a free app to phone or tablet and then you can print any document or photo to the printer from your phone one of two ways. First, you can connect to the printer over its own wi-fi connection (not sure what the range on this is yet, so far been right next to the printer) or you can send the doc or photo to your printer via the printer email address you set up. That way you can have something spit out of the printer from anywhere. Works great so far.

It has two ink cartridges that are not very big. One for Black one Tri-color. Printer will take photo paper but have not tried that yet. Photos printed on plain paper look like.....photos printed on plain paper.

Only negative I have run across so far is that you have to adjust print options (draft/normal/best quality, paper type, etc) from your computer not from the printer itself. Would be much easier often to just be able to hit a button on the printer for that. Other than that, nothing bad to speak of.

It is not going to be as fast or as razor sharp as a $1,000 office printer but I cant see anyone that would not be happy with this for 99% of what you would ever want to do at home except perhaps if you want to do lots of professional quality photo printing. I imagine a dedicated photo printer with separate color ink cartridges would be better for that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice footprint, nice look, but loud!, October 15, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This printer is super sleek, and set up was a breeze. It found my network and hooked itself up and updated itself online. It even walked me through the online set up of the HP account, so it would auto-update. It sets up a personal account on hp.com and they will send you things to your printer (at your direction) like Disney color pages for the kids, or Sudoku pages, or news...there are SO many options! It has preprogrammed pages for Sudoku, too, along with graph, music, fax cover sheets, etc. I love it.

I went from a Canon Pixma 450 to this, and the Pixma's footprint was much larger, and was much taller. It had fax, and this doesn't, but aside from that, I prefer this printer's look. The height is nice, too. I had no idea how "full" my desk looked with the Canon until I replaced it with this.

It prints much slower than the Canon. It takes twice the time. It's loud. MUCH louder than the Canon. If I had a lot of printing, that would be a major drawback, as the printer sits right next to me, and if I have to take a call, it would interfere.

It's a great price for the work done. The prints are clean and crisp, even with recycled (not the best) paper.
HP's ink is easy to find, too. Unlike the Canon's.
It holds the same amount of paper (about 1/2" tall).

When you go online, you can set up an account that will automatically send you refills for your ink (charged to your account, of course). I thought this was terrific, as I live far from any store that carries office supplies. I'm not sure how the pricing compares, but they do give you a "percent off" coupon when it's time to refill...

Oh--this is the BEST part--
I had to ditch the Canon after just a few months because it had a paper jam, and after it was cleared, it never printed aligned again. I tried everything. This HP opens up so much that you can clear a paper jam without worry of misaligning the print heads.
I wish it had Fax...but aside from that, it's not a bad deal, provided you're not printing a ton (unless you have lots of time) and don't mind the noise.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME printer, easy setup, print wirelessly without local wifi! Iphone/Ipad friendly!, July 20, 2013
I use this as a mobile printer inside of my truck. This printer has a "wireless direct" feature where the printer creates its own wifi signal so you can print off your iphone/ipad very easily. I print directly off my iphone 4, easily, and wirelessly.

It has clear directions, software that is simple and effective, and takes 10 minutes to set up.

It has a very easy to read LCD screen to let you scroll through it's menu, and to let you know what's going on.

Awesome! Buy this, and not a Canon. I bought a Canon MG3220, and found out it requires local Wifi, and even when I set it up, it worked intermittently.

CHEAPEST SOLUTION FOR REPLACING YOUR BLACK INK CARTRIDGE: Buy an InkTec HPI-1061D refill kit intended for Hewlett Packard printers. I've used their black refill kit, which at the time of this writing is only $11.95 through Amazon Prime. I've easily refilled my black cartridge ten times over with this $12 kit. That's $1.20 per cartridge vs. $30 per HP cartridge. Sure, your printer and computer might say it has low ink in the black cartridge, but it will still print fine. I am completely sold on the Do-it-yourself Ink refill kits.

5.0 out of 5 stars A five star gem!, September 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Envy 4500 is # 4 in Amazon electronics which says a lot for its performance. Geek Roger Meyer has tested and reviewed Envy. Here is his report:

The HP Envy 4500 has a very appropriate name (Envy). Other printer manufacturers should be envious of this printer. I would like to think I am being objective, but there are so many great things about this printer, this review may seem to be biased. It looks good, works as advertised, is feature rich, and the user manual (on line and downloadable) is one of the best I've read.

The printer is elegant in appearance and has an LCD interface that is easy to read and operate. The menu items are easy to understand and are intuitive. There is an auto-off function that powers down the printer after a preselected time that is supposed to aid in saving ink by parking the print heads. All the functions, print, copy, and scan, were tested and worked flawlessly. Print times were quick and the quality was excellent. The same can be said of the copy and scan functions.

One of the things I liked most about this printer was the ease of setup. With a history of laborious hardware and software installations that involved extensive interactive dialogs, I was impressed with the simplicity of this setup - even the wireless functions. It was painless, and everything worked as advertised upon completion. I especially love the ePrint capability. With the free HP ePrint app downloaded onto my Android phone, I was able to print directly to the printer through my home WiFi network. Also, since the desktop PC I was using had wireless connectivity to my network, I could print wirelessly to the printer. One less cable to clutter up the desktop! The printer can be connected to a PC via USB cable also (not supplied).

I find it difficult to find any big negatives. It does have a larger footprint than some other compact all-in-ones. The ejected paper holder slides out of the paper tray "pocket knife" fashion. The little flip up paper stop seems a little flimsy, but during the evaluation, I did kept it closed and let the paper eject onto the desktop.

For the price (less that $100 at Amazon) this printer can't be beat. It looks good, has great features, works well, and is built by a company with a long history of quality printer manufacturing.

Roger Meyer
Life is not about how fast you run or how high you climb but how well you bounce.

1.0 out of 5 stars I "ENVY" those that have printers that don't suck up the ink, April 11, 2014
I have had my HP Envy 4500 since December 5, 2013, and have only gone through less than a half ream of paper, yet I just installed my FOURTH cartridge of Black ink, and my THIRD of colored ink today. And I have only made TWO color copies since this printer was set up. So where is the colored ink going?

According to the HP site, the black cartridge is supposed to print up to 190 pages, and 165 pages of color. Well, based on those calculations, I should have TWO FULL REAMS of printed pages already--which I don't.

I am using their "genuine" HP ink cartridges, which I think contain less than an eye dropper full of ink. If I hadn't had prior bad experiences with using reconditioned cartridges, I would certainly try them in this machine because the overall ink costs, so far, are RIDICULOUS!! I have already spent more money on ink than the machine initially cost. And it makes me angry to think that I had read a lot of reviews on this printer before ordering it, and I never saw one user mention about the ink problem--if I had, I certainly would not have bought this at all.

SAVE YOUR MONEY!! Unless you own an ink factory, this printer will make you poor.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, but $79.99 might turn into $100 out of the box., December 31, 2013
fredhoffmann3 (Thomasville, NC) - See all my reviews
Let me begin this review by saying that this is a great printer. I originally purchased it as an upgrade from an older HP Photosmart to use with Google Cloud printing services. It works fantastic as a Google Cloud printer (can now print from my HP Laptop, HP Chromebook and Android phone if and when necessary). I do a lot of shopping on Amazon (return labels), print out chord charts for songs that I play on the guitar and print out the occasional photo to put in a frame. It does all of these things very well. I even love that it prints two sided (but takes time as it waits for ink to dry).

So here is why I debated jumping between a 3 and 4 star rating. The setup ink cartridges (that come with the printer in box) were incompatible and would not allow me to finish the setup process. This was said by another reviewer as well (A. Landry ... search "incompatible" in reviews here). I had to go back to a retailer to purchase new cartridges (same number as those included in the box ... HP61).

Here's the frustrating part ... I called the support line and was given another number to call (1-800-474-6836). The first representative was not helpful at all and hung up the call. The second rep was much more helpful and we determined that it was only the BLACK INK CARTRIDGE that was defective. After being on the phone for over twenty minutes and being transferred to a supervisor ... no replacements are being sent however. So what was a nice deal at $79.99 here on Amazon has turned into a $100 printer since I had to buy a new black ink cartridge. Printer is great, but this is quite frustrating.

4.0 out of 5 stars Designed to Suck Ink, July 25, 2014
BillAdams (Tucson, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
HP printers are like Gillette shavers -- the hardware is well-priced, but they get you on the razor blades. You have to be careful when you install the printer software. If you acquiesce to the defaults, you'l get all sorts of ink-sucking "features," like a service that will automatically print off 10 pages of news headlines every day, "for your convenience." Who would want that? HP would want it, because it's going to burn through a lot of ink! Likewise there are all kinds of games and puzzles -- printed of course -- that you can get, FREE! You can have a crossword puzzle printed out for you every day! Think of all the black ink that will use. This printer is designed to sell ink -- keep that in mind.

When you do install a new ink cartridge -- and it better be genuine HP -- the printer will automatically print an elaborate, multi-colored "test page" that you then have to scan "for accuracy." There may be some technical rationale for this, but it certainly is yet anothe ink sucker.

Then there's the spam. Every few days you get an unsolicited, large HP notice on top of your work (that is a definition of malware right there -- HP basically installs a virus in your computer under the guise of "service.") The notice invites you to buy more ink from HP (at a high price) and to claim your "rewards" for using HP ink -- these rewards are ink-hungry, multi-colored coupons you can print out, yes, print out. The discount coupons are for meaningless products that have nothing to do with anything; they're pure ink-suckers.

You can disable most of these HP viruses by going to C:\Program Files\HP\HP ENVY 4500 series\Bin\ and renaming the files HPRewards.exe and HPSmartDeals.exe. Just put an 'x' at the front of the file names. You'll need administrator privileges.

There are also some accidentally-on-purpose design flaws in the software calculated to suck ink. For example, if you change the "Number of copies" on the printer panel, say to 8, then whenever you use the "Quick Print" function in Windows after that, you get 8 copies of everything. Ooops! Accident or diabolical scheme? You can correct the situation by using the File/Print menu and setting the number of copies to 1, but until you discover this little trick, you're going to burn some ink.

On the plus side, it's a small, attractive printer that prints, scans, and copies flawlessly. It's wireless, which frees up a precious USB port on the computer (although the printer can also be run on a USB cable if you have wireless problems). If you have strong Wifi coverage, there is no problem in wireless mode. It's a bit of a challenge, but not too difficult to enter the network SSID and WEP code into the printer's front panel.

With the right HP software app, you can also print directly from your phone. I haven't done photo printing (who prints photos anymore?). Another plus is that the ink, #61, is slightly cheaper than the ink for other printers (The XL size black being about $25 at Costco).

The printer only holds 100 sheets of paper at a time. Double that would be better, but actually, I think most people print a lot less than they used to. Printers may soon become obsolete. One more strong plus: it prints 2-sided copies automatically and flawlessly. No re-loading the paper to get the second side. Just choose 2-sided and like magic...a wonderful feature. Over all, I'm happy with the printer; very unhappy with HP for its deceitful and greedy marketing practices.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy setup, August 4, 2013
Russell R. Cason "RC" (San Antonio, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
I found the Envy easy to setup. The wireless connection automatically detects your router and sets up.... and it works! Good print quality. Don't know about the ink usage rate yet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Update ruined my printer, January 5, 2014
This printer worked fine right out of the box. Printing was fast until it requested an update. It now barely prints taking up to 5 mins to print a page. HP support page has no way to communicate the problem because it isn't a FAQ or listed in the problems list. Regret this purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars If it doesn't work, send it back to Amazon. HP not helpful!, January 8, 2014
Printer had manufacture defect. Insisted it be sent back to HP. Technical support was awful. Not very helpful at all.