4.0 out of 5 stars Love the Laptop. Windows 8, Not So Much
The two previous reviewers have given outstanding reviews on all the techie specs of this HP Envy Laptop. As such, I fear my average-plain-jane-user review is going to pale in comparison but hopefully it'll be helpful to those like me who use laptops but don't get into the nitty-gritty of the electronic.

Ok, so here goes -

I've always like the style...
Published 22 months ago by Kim Cantrell

3.0 out of 5 stars Trying to like it
Published 21 months ago by Got an A in Shopping

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the Laptop. Windows 8, Not So Much, November 14, 2012

Ok, so here goes -

I've always like the style and sleekness of HP laptops so it's no surprise that I love this one as well. It's beautifully designed with a smooth black surface that's fingerprint resistant - which I love with children in the house!

Relatively lightweight, although still a bit hefty if compared to the ultrabooks or the like.

The colors exhibited in this model are just OUTSTANDING! So bright, crisp, and clear. Absolutely fan-flippin'-tastic for photos, videos, and graphics. Even Skype is more vivid with this laptop!

But then comes the Windows 8...

Allow me to confess right up front that I am not a fan of change, especially if something is working just fine, so I will be a bit jaded in this area. But, in my opinion, Windows 8 is basically a laptop with apps. While I love apps, ON MY PHONE or IPAD, I care nada for them on my computer. Not yet anyway. I spent hours trying to familiarize myself with the app system here and came to the conclusion that I do not like Windows 8. Give me my regular old windows button in the lower left screen that pops up all my programs by name and I'm happy. Hunting for them under an "organized" app system, no way!

In all fairness, however, my 20 year-old college son, thinks it's awesome. He says he loves the apps and thinks it organizes and simplifies things for users. So, maybe I'm just that old dog that can't learn new tricks. :)

If this computer had come with Windows 7, I would have given 5 stars easily. The laptop itself is FABULOUS! But the Windows 8 just wasn't for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Business Computer, November 21, 2012
LD "Kneighthawke" (Twin Cities, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP Envy dv6-7210us 15.6-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
This is a great computer for business just because of one feature alone, the finger print reader. I like this alot, you can have it "read" any one of your 10 fingers. I suggest at least two, one on each hand in case you can't use one of the hands.

That said this is a nice laptop. The keys are easy to press and quiet. Mine luckily came with Windows 7, I had reviewed Windows 8 (W8) at a large retailer with the initials B.B. I was not impressed with W8. W8 is meant for tablets, if you aren't using a tablet or a touch screen then it's a pointless O.S. It can revert to the old W7 mode.

Right out of the box this computer looked for my Home Network Wi-Fi. Found it and set up to use it.

I own a number of laptops, I replace them fairly quickly because I don't like them for whatever reason. This one I got for business, I was unaware it contained a finger print reader for added security which is a definate plus. I got it for a new business I am starting and wanted a laptop different than the others I have. This is my second HP Laptop. I definately remind you to make a rescue/recovery CD a soon as you get it.

The sound by BEATS Audio is suberb for a laptop and of the 10 others I have this beats them all hands down. It even sounds better on the same Sharper Image headphones I was using on my Sony vaio.

I couldn't be happier with this laptop.

3.0 out of 5 stars Trying to like it, December 22, 2012
This review is from: HP Envy dv6-7210us 15.6-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
This laptop arrived extremely fast which was great and it didn't take long to get up and running. There are some features I love- the finger print reader is one of them, I appreciate the added security and it's easier than typing in a password. And the computer itself seems to be great- it's everything we were looking for. However, at this point I am completely unhappy with it and I think I have to blame Windows. Even in the desk top mode I struggle to find anything I need, then when I find it I have trouble using the program and often times can't even minimize or escape out of what I'm in. I think this software would be great if I were using it on a tablet, but I'm not and don't want to feel like I am, I have a tablet and iPhone for that- this is supposed to be my computer and I want it to run like one. I'm trying hard to get used to it and learn it, but I'm frustrated now. I'll update my review if any progress is made, positive or negative, but since I find myself avoid this laptop we might be at a standstill.
However, if you're familiar and comfortable with this software I really think the laptop itself is solid. It looks great and has more bells and whistles than I need (if I could only use them!)

5.0 out of 5 stars It's definitely time to upgrade to this faster, sexier, LED ENVY'd Laptop, November 2, 2012
Dr. M. A. Dixon "hyper-observant" (last seen singing in her ocean-view garden) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I selected this laptop through an Amazon Vine offer thinking what is not to love about this laptop, but let me tell you it has beaten all my expectations. WOW! is what I kept saying after I took it out of the box and began getting to know this HP Envy dv6-7210us 15.6-Inch Laptop up close and personal. Before even turning it on, anyone would notice how lightweight and gorgeous it is. The finish is brushed aluminum in Midnight Black and it is absolutely perfect as it looks great and feels sensual to my touch. All the hardware is placed perfectly for maximum enjoyment and ease of use. I've purchased other members of the HP Envy line but I must say this HP Laptop is first I would say all the other laptops must ENVY this HP dv6-7210us!

The next feature I am most impressed with is the LED screen which has amazing depth to it. I love viewing photos and videos as they look even better on this HP Envy dv6-7210us 15.6-Inch Laptop than on my HDTV! This in itself is amazing as my 52" HDTV is always commented on by the different cable carriers of how my tv makes their feed look the BEST they have ever seen! Well this laptop adds even more depth and crispness to the photos and videos than that with its AMD Radeon HD 7640G Discrete-Class graphics and up to 3053MB total graphics memory! Amazing! This laptop has Beats Audio with the speakers the length of the laptop on both sides of the hinge and sound very good for any portable electronic device. Underneath the speaker screens is Beats Audio quad speakers and a subwoofer. Webcam also delivers a great video chat experience. The touchpad as well feels great to touch and use and includes the normal mouse moves including double tap, 2finger scroll, pinch or stretch to zoom, top-edge swipe to display app commands, right-edge swipe to display the charms (search, share, start, devices, and settings) and left edge swipe to switch between open apps. You can quickly return to the start screen by pressing the windows logo key on the keyboard.

HP SimplePass is a plus for me and I believe the scanner on this HP Envy dv6-7210us 15.6-Inch Laptop is more durable than previous models I have owned. I set up this laptop so that when I scan my right index finger, it launches my favorite website which is Amazon! I like that I can use my fingerprints as my passwords which I believe makes my laptop more secure from prying eyes and stealing hands and just makes access easier and faster for me.

This is my first introduction to Windows 8 and of course there is a learning curve but so far I like it. I like that it is linked to my Microsoft account which means that every time I sign into a Windows 8 device, my settings and custom tweaks will come with me and be applied. Because Microsoft accounts are linked to SkyDrive storage, Office 2013 will back up automatically uploading to the cloud. Windows Media Center will not be included for free in Windows 8 but right now through January 31, 2013, you can request a free product key for it at the microsoft windows website.

FAST! FAST! FAST! Using a 2nd Gen AMD Quad-Core A8-4500M Accelerated Processor with 6GB installed memory on 750GB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection in Windows 8 really creates a fast machine. I have the fastest boot-up experience I've ever had on a laptop or desktop. Set-up was the fastest and most intuitive I've ever had. 3 of its 4 USB ports are 3.0! USB 3.0 is capable of transfer speeds of up to 5Gbps (gigabits per second); that's a little over 10 times faster than USB 2.0's 480Mbps (1,000Mbps equals 1Gbps).

The Amazon listing currently says 2GB RAMM in one place and 6GB RAMM in another place; 6GB is how much The laptop shows in the View Basic Information About Your Computer Screen.

Every place you look on this laptop is faster and better than before. Don't let the technology advances leave you in the dust.........

Stay cutting edge with the HP Envy dv6-7210us 15.6-Inch Laptop.

For a bluetooth-enabled version with a red soft-touch bottom, check out HP Envy 6-1110us 15.6-Inch Sleekbook (Black).

If I wasn't the luckiest girl in the world to receive this HP Envy dv6 laptop through Vine, it might very well be the one I would select for myself to purchase this holiday season as I am very particular about selecting the best quality at the best price and even at the full $699MSRP, this HP Envy dv6-7210us 15.6-Inch Laptop delivers more in the fast, sleek, and sexy experience than previous laptops. I've had it only a couple of days and already it has given me more than $700USD of enjoyment, fun, and pleasure.

Thank you HP and Amazon Vine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Newbie, no tech female reviews a product she doesn't understand., March 25, 2013
Rachel Himes (Pennsylvania USA) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There are 2 things I can say with certainty about this. It is FAST. It outperforms my newer Toshiba, my Dell and my generic-ish laptop on the same DSL system. I like fast. I love that I can close it, open it again and 3 seconds later I'm back to what I was working on. I don't have to leave it open and running all day long to work on a project a little at a time.

I HATE the new windows. It's designed to look, work and feel like the programs on Ipads and Iphones which I detest. If you have a touch screen, that would be fine, but mine was not touch screen enabled and it's a pain in the tooshy to deal with using a mouse. I have been using it regularly for a couple of months now and still can't figure out how to get off of some pages when I open them. Very annoying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, must get if on budget, January 12, 2013
This review is from: HP Envy dv6-7210us 15.6-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
Ok, first off, I want to say that upon receiving the package, this laptop is extraordinarily light. When I opened up the package, I was holding a very, very elegant looking machine. It is beautiful; the brush midnight finish is one of the few laptop design cover that isn't a finger print magnet; it is awesome. So, now, lets get down to review:
The dv6 is a mediocre looking machine for specs on paper; don't let that fool you.This is a capable gaming laptop. This game runs COD4 on midsettings at 50 FPS, which is really nice, and plays Planetside 2 in midsettings at 45 FPS.
I removed a couple bloat (Such as Norton and some weird game program), and freed up startups and services on the msconfiguration via run command, and it is running very smoothly. The fingerprint scanner works flawlessly; I scanned all ten fingers and it works 18 out of 20 trials. Very nice piece of security. The screen is not bad, but I do kind of wished they had it up to like 1600 x 900 like the spec identical HP Envy dv7-7230us. The Beats audio is not bad, though I was disappointed at how quiet it is. At max volume, my phone (Droid Razr Maxx) is still louder, but the quality is fine. Now, as for Windows 8: I honestly have no idea why it is criticized so much. It is not so bad; just give 5 minutes to learn. That's all; as a matter of fact, Windows 8 is more like Windows 7.75; You can still access the original Windows 7 desktop by going to the "Desktop" tile/icon on the metro app starting screen. And if you need to access the settings, control panel, power, etc., then all you need to do point the mouse to the upper or lower right corner of the screen, and it will give you those options. I believe the reason why Windows 8 is so heavily criticized is because many, many people don't realize this, and chose to run choppy emulators online. I honestly love this laptop; if you are on a budget of less than $600, than this is a MUST buy! While there are more expensive relatives to this, this is actually pretty great for the money. Value > price. If you have any questions, please, feel free to ask them on the comments below!

UPDATE: Just want to point out that I was really wrong on the framerates... On Planetside 2 it actually runs around 20-30 FPS, but the others are around right. And also, the "midnight brush" material isn't the strongest.. It is very easily scratchable, and I wish they had some kind of case available for the top. Overall the laptop is still running very well! No complaints yet other than the really scratchable material on the top!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great but.., December 28, 2012
This review is from: HP Envy dv6-7210us 15.6-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
Only issue I have with it is if the computer goes into sleep mode by itself ,the fingerprint scanner wont work to sign back in

EDIT: 12/7/13

With windows 8.1 and numerous updates this no longer is a problem!

1.0 out of 5 stars More garbage from HP, July 15, 2013
This review is from: HP Envy dv6-7210us 15.6-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
I wanted to like this computer. There's good specs on paper for a good price. It turns out, the components used by HP are junk. The touchpad is a disaster that you will probably turn off. I use a USB mouse now. The keyboard feels cheap and the numbers have worn off the keys. I could live with this computer's cheap junk heritage even with all these terrible flaws, but the computer doesn't even perform very well for the specs. It's loaded with enough junk to bog it down, and I'm not convinced the computer is well suited to any Windows version.

Conclusion: This isn't the 1970s HP. Steer clear of all laptops from HP. I don't know how they get good reviews. Maybe they pay people to write them. All I know is that best case scenario, you get a computer with decent specs that uses such cheap parts that it loses most functionality. Worst case, you've wasted $500 to $900 on a low quality lap top battery.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its Okay, March 21, 2013
This review is from: HP Envy dv6-7210us 15.6-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
Once I get past Windows 8, I may start liking it a lot better. I don't like the fact that the keys do not light up. I'm just getting used to it I guess.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this laptop, March 12, 2013
This review is from: HP Envy dv6-7210us 15.6-Inch Laptop (Personal Computers)
I'm going to start by saying that I dislike windows 8 very much, but it's unfair to take stars away from HP because of an operating system that is . in all new laptops at this point.

A review of this computer is easy, it's great. The keyboard is comfortable and not compact. It has a full number section. I love the screen clarity and brightness. The Beats audio is superb, hands down the best audio I've ever had on a laptop. It's loud enough to hear everything I watch and delivers enough bass and tremble for all of my music. There are 4 easily accessible USB ports and a CD drive. Also a card slot for photo cards.
The best feature is the finger swipe ID. This is awesome. No more will the little people in my house commandeer my laptop when I'm not looking.
The laptop is light and does not make my lap hot at all.

HP Envy dv6-7210us 15.6-Inch Laptop