Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on April 28, 2014
If you are thinking of adding a second hard drive, or a second dvd burner to this computer, forget it, there's no room in the case.
There is one vacant memory slot, so doubling the amount of memory is an option.
This desktop comes with Windows 8, and can easily be upgraded to Windows 8.1. Now, if you can't stand not having a start up selection like Windows 7 had, then search for StartMenu 8, download and install this free program and you will have a Windows 7 startup icon in the task bar just like Windows 7.
on June 5, 2014
This is great hardware hobbled by the Windows 8 operating system. This computer has a faster processor and more RAM than the Windows 7 machine that it replaced, and it should be much faster. Instead it is significantly slower. Since the OS comes with the computer as an integral part, how the two operate together is critical. I don't find Windows 8 difficult to use. Since I have 8.1, I boot into a Windows 7-like desktop. However, the Windows 8 interface takes up resources that slows down the computer. A tablet or phone interface is not useful to me on a computer. I use my computer primarily to get work done, not to browse. (And by the way, this machine is also slow on the internet. My Chromebook loads pages and downloads twice as fast.) This slowness is also obvious in the Windows Explorer file manager where image icons take a very long time to update and frequently don't completely update at all. Since I use the machine for image editing and managing a large number of image files, this is a big disadvantage. Also, attached external drives are frequently timed out, and it takes a while for them to restart. What were simple and strait-forward menus in former versions of the File Explorer have become a hodgepodge of unintelligible new choices. Nowhere in the documentation does it indicate which 7 card formats the 7-in-1 reader recognizes. I am still recommending this machine because the faults have nothing to do with the hardware, and you'll be stuck with the same problems on any computer that runs on Windows 8. But if you can find this computer with Windows 7 instead, you'll probably be much happier.
on June 11, 2014
I have had a few weeks to get used to my computer and I love it!
It was a little disconcerting not to have Office pre-installed or supplied with the unit, but once I downloaded it I was able to do everything, and so much faster. Very satisfied
on May 8, 2014
Replaces my 8 year old HP with Windows Vista. Twice as fast so I'm happy to make the change. Windows 8.1 is fairly easy to learn. Will pair it up with an HP touchscreen which makes sense. Hardware is five stars, however, not very happy with the Microsoft log-in process.
on March 17, 2014
All good with this PC. Fast as lightening. Everything just as advertised. Windows 8 definitely takes some learning. HP makes a solid computer!
on September 21, 2015
After the warranty has expired, H P wants 199.99 dollars every year for helping you in case of trouble with your desktop. If I knew that I will have never buy a HP pavilion desktop. I'll never buy an HP anything again.
on July 13, 2015
I recently replaced an aging HP Pavilion I purchased in 2009 with this unit. It came with Windows 8.1. Setup was easy and the unit has functioned wonderfully since I installed it several weeks ago. Boot-up time is around 30 seconds or so. We leave it in 'sleep' mode after 30 minutes of inactivity. Once we press a key or move the mouse the unit wakes up and is ready for use within a second or so.

As I am an IT professional already working with Windows Server 2012, the new OS interface with the tiles was already familiar to me so it didn't take too long to get the hang of things, to configure, etc.
on January 25, 2016
Support is AWFUL...this company cannot service equipment or help a user even under contract!!! This is my first HP and it will be my last. I purchased a 2 year service contract because I understand that things break. I just wanted to make sure that if something broke it could be fixed relatively quickly. Something did break and the HP support response has convinced me this will be my LAST HP computer. The hard drive started issuing blue screens with failure messages. I called support. I was still under contract and the HP system showed that when I signed in to open the incident. After about 30 minutes of transfers I was finally sent to the tech who was to help me. He spent the better part of an hour telling me I was not under contract. In between those discussion we ran diagnostics which said the hard drive was failing so we ran more diagnostics, he found I was under contract and then said he could not order a drive until the 2 hour long detailed diagnostic was completed. He promised to call me back to discuss in 2 hours. In 2 hours I was called back, sat on the phone for 30 minutes while the automated system transferred me to someone who would schedule a call for me to talk with a tech the NEXT day. Mind you the diagnostics said: REPLACE HARD DRIVE. I set up a call to speak to a tech the next morning between 8:30 and 10:30. Stayed around the house all morning. That afternoon they called me back. I told the person the whole background again and read him the diagnostic message. He said...we will need to replace the drive. I will need to pass you to someone to handle that. So back on hold again. On to person who schedules drive to be sent out. Another person schedules the tech to replace the hard drive. The drive did arrive the next week a day before the scheduled tech arrived to do the replacement (covered in my contract) BUT recovery disks were not sent with the drive. The repair person expected them to be there. He called to order some and left saying they were to be sent in 24 to 48 hours. It is now more than 2 weeks later. I have made two additional calls to follow up with HP as recovery disks have NOT been delivered. Every call takes over an hour because of hold and transfer times. Many times it is more like two hours. All techs are from a foreign country and English skills are VERY limited. I am still being transferred on my third followup call in two weeks to get my RESTORE Disks. I believe now I will never get them. I should have bought an Apple where I always get help and it is always with a solid and usually a native English speaker and my machine gets fixed. BUYER BEWARE!!!!
on April 24, 2014
The hardware is excellent. HP makes a good and fast computer.

Windows 8 is the worst. Microsoft decides what the consumers want and then forces them to take it.
on January 15, 2016
I bought this not expecting much beyond an affordable instant upgrade to my slowly dying Windows Vista era machine. It manages to run a few games at low settings and is generally well suited to the derping and Minecrafting I spend my time on. However! I am slowly collecting parts as I build my spouses new PC and got the genius idea of giving the old NVidia card we have a go as it could boost me into Rift territory. There is NO expandability in my machine whatsoever. No extra hard drives, nothing.. The power supply is proprietary and only has the connectors for the things they installed in the factory.. If you are satisfied with the bare specs and don't dream of any upgrades (beyond a single RAM stick, that really should have been installed in a pair of 4gig sticks rather than a solo 8gig but I digress) AT ALL, this will work fine.

Thanks HP! I can't imagine a use for another hard drive or adding another card of any kind! /s

It has satisfied my usual usage for the past year or so and is worth the 3.5 stars I'd give it. I didn't expect to break it out of the box and play Assassins Creed Unity or anything, but did sort of expect to be able to add -some- things to it as I went along.