4.0 out of 5 stars Close, But Not the Dream Ultrabook
Once in a blue moon I come across a laptop that fascinates me. The HP Folio 13-2000 is surely one of the more impressive models available on the market. HP has packaged powerful components into a very elegant yet sophisticated system.

Published on June 28, 2012 by vxp

2.0 out of 5 stars HP Support is the Downside
HP Engineering provides a wonderful design with a nice layout, good screen resolution, excellent wireless and enough ports (USB2, USB3, HDMI, etc.,) to provide great flexibility to connect to almost any device.

Published on September 17, 2012 by Dave

4.0 out of 5 stars Close, But Not the Dream Ultrabook, June 28, 2012
This review is from: HP Folio 13-2000 13-Inch LED Ultrabook - Core i5 i5-2467M 4G RAM 128G SSD Windows 7 Professional (Personal Computers)

At the time of this writing, Intel had recently announced that they would be beginning their "Ultrabook" laptop initiative to place systems on the market that would compete with Apple's thinner Macbook Air series. As a disclaimer, my years of experience with computer systems have been spent in a Windows environment, so this review will focus strictly on the HP Folio rather act as a side-by-side comparison with Apple's Macbook Air products.

In the original box and packaging, the Folio is held in place by two pieces of foam on each side, with space between the Folio and the cardboard box, which I suppose is a good thing in the event it were to come into contact with some blunt force. Aside from the Folio itself, a power adapter and packet of papers are included in the box.

Upon physical inspection, the Folio is very solid to the touch. Unlike my previous Asus netbook, the laptop casing is not flimsy at all and very resistant to bending. As shown on the Specifications page for the Folio on HP's website, the Ultrabook measures 8.67 inches in width, 12.54 inches in length, and 0.7 inches in depth. Needless to say, the Folio is extremely thin. On top of that, its weight at 3.3 pounds is noteworthy. The left side has the RJ-45 (Ethernet), HDMI, USB 3.0, and SD memory card ports; while the right has a USB 2.0 port and headphone jack. Interestingly the Folio lacks a Kensington Security Slot; whatever the reason for its absence, I will assume that owners of this superb computer system will rarely leave it out of sight for any period from would-be thieves.

The top of the Folio has a very nice metallic silver finish with the HP logo embedded in the center, and the bottom contains the usual assortment of exhaust ports and stickers.

Starting up the Folio for the first time would be when things got very interesting. The startup process itself, from BIOS to the Windows loading screen, was very fast, which should not be too big of a surprise since HP as put a Samsung SSD inside. Even though I managed to finish the Windows setup without any issues, the HP registration program that followed was a complete disaster. As I tried to enter my information into the contact information fields in the registration program, the HP program suddenly froze, leaving me no choice but to abort it and register the traditional method (via HP website). Compared to my past experiences with HP computers, there is significantly less bloatware and other programs installed, but they still remain nonetheless. Certain things about HP's software was particularly annoying, notably HP including an entire program solely dedicated to opening PDF files (e.g. User manual) was totally unnecessary. For an Ultrabook that's supposedly designed for powering through the "workday," the extra software can really drag you down.

On another note, Windows 7 Professional is absolutely necessary for those needing to join Domains in business environments. With a 64-bit operating system installed, the Folio has 4GB of DDR3 SRAM; HP states on the website for the Folio that the RAM has been downgraded from 1600 MHz to 1333 MHz. The 13.3-inch LED display is marvelous to look at, without any significant strain on my eyes; changing the display settings will be necessary, as is necessary for any new computer out of its box. I was initially skeptical about purchasing this particular model due to its 128 GB SSD, but with all of the latest updates and drivers installed, there is still a significant amount of space remaining - approximately 100 GB. Returning to my point about HP's disappointing software, the Folio is configured at factory automatically for a recovery partition that is used by HP Recovery Manager. I should also point out that Recovery Manager is essentially useless for most users who have at least some experience with both Windows 7 and setting up backups. For inexperienced users, I would recommend leaving Recovery Manager installed in the event that you might need to return the system to its original factory configuration. I personally recommend installing CCleaner by Piriform after the initial setup of the computer so unnecessary files are removed automatically.

Regarding performance of the Folio, I would not recommend purchasing this system if you plan on doing any serious gaming on it. Again, I want to emphasize that this is a more business-oriented computer system, rather than one that targets mainstream consumers. While this particular Ultrabook only uses the quad-core 2nd generation Intel Corei5 processor, there will be more than enough power to get through whatever you need to in a day at the office. Unless you are running the system with display brightness set to maximum and CPU usage at 100% across the board, the Folio will fetch you several hours on battery power alone. HP estimates approximately 9 hours, but I have yet to test this out.

I will designate this last segment to what I think is the most interesting piece of hardware HP included in this ultrabook. For those who are somewhat familiar with computer security, a TPM 1.2 security chip is pre-installed on the motherboard at the factory. To minimize technical jargon and complexity, the TPM chip essentially a security chip that prevents tampering with the computer system. Its true potential is unlocked when it is paired with Windows BitLocker (available only in Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise). With BitLocker enabled, the TPM chip ensures that no hardware settings were altered between the last shutdown and next powerup. Note that BitLocker supports full-disk encryption, for those who need it.

While this is undoubtedly a superb system, a four-star rating is warranted since the shoddy HP software simply will not warrant a five-star review. However, for would-be buyers, HP's failure in producing functional software should not overshadow the many other great features offered by this ultrabook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Business Winning Ultrabook, MacBook Air Killer, Best Ultrabook So Far, June 29, 2013
This is HP Folio 13 the best Ultrabook, compared to all other brands of Ultrabook. Why is this is so good and why it's getting so many glowing reviews, an average of 4.8 stars out of 5 stars? This is why:
1. Windows 7 Professional. It's not Windows 7 Home or Windows 8 (which is horrible to run software or do usual business tasks). I was actually thinking of getting a MacBook Air but need to install Windows 7 Pro and Parallels into a Macbook Air that would set me $360.00 back.
2. It is superfast, boots up and shuts down super quick just like your smart phone (iPhone, Andriod or Blackberry). I hate laptops that that forever to boot up or shut down. Finally an Ultrabook that boots up like a Smartphone or iPad.
3. It has SSD instead of HD. I hate hard drives because it is noisy and breaks down. SSD is the way to go. Macbook Airs are all SSD.
4. Superlight. I hate heavy and bulky laptops.
5. Superlong lasting battery. The battery goes for 7++ hours!
6. Responsive mousepad and keypad. No need for external mouse. Some ultrabooks like Samsung and Acer has this problem.
7. Great Price. For $699.00 for a brand new Ultrabook, that is a $400.00 lower than a comparable MacBook Air 13 inch ($1,099.00).
8. This is an excellent Business Class laptop and even my old software such as Microsoft Office XP, works like a charm, no issues.
9. Wifi connection is easy and no problems. Some Samsung and Acer Ultrabooks has this problems.
10. Webcam works and sound is decent for a laptop this size.
11. Printing and scanning from this Ultrabook is easy.
12. Connecting to the network is a breeze.
13. Connecting to DVD drive/burner is is breeze, no issues.
14. It doesn't get hot or warm.
15. It is very thin and elegant, comparable to a 13 inch Macbook Air. Very stylish!
16. It has an internet Ethernet port (which the macbook air doesn't have). This is useful if you need to connect to the internet with a hardwire instead of wifi.

I have looked into HP Windows 8 Ultrabooks but HP Windows 8 Ultrabooks ones are crappy and I would have to downgrade from Windows 8 to 7 to meet my business benchmarks. That's too much trouble!

If you are looking for a Ultrabook that has SSD instead of a noisy harddrive, get this Ultrabook, there's no better one out there. HP is no longer making this Ultrabook, this is a pity. So get this before you can no longer buy this. I am thinking of getting an extra one as a backup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it! Super portable and excellent battery life., July 15, 2012
Dan Meyers (Dearborn Heights, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This is by far the best laptop that I have bought to-date. It is light, sleek, functional, super portable, and the battery last longer than any battery on any device I have ever had. It goes for at least 8 hours without needing to be plugged in. If you are looking for a ultrabook because of the poratablity but do not want to compromise on performance, style, or functionaly then look no further.

2.0 out of 5 stars HP Support is the Downside, September 17, 2012

The problem that we encountered was the additional HP installed software provided for customer support seems to have conflicts with the Windows 7 operating system. The result is a repeated blue screen and a system dump. The problem only worsened when we had to engage HP customer support (located in the Philippines). The agents were friendly but unlike Dell they did not really understand the configuration of the PC (e.g. Dell service tag) and as of this writing have not resolved the PC issues. After four sessions of trying to work with HP technical support and 12 hours of wasted time, I am beginning to lose interest in HP products. Their resolution finally was to send me a pre-paid box to return the PC to their repair service center with a promise that I would have it back in a week. Poor consolation for the amount of trouble that the HP product support has caused and a very weak comparison to the Dell support that we have received over the years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great computer, June 17, 2012
This computer is exactly what I was looking for in a traveling computer. It's screen and keyboard are the right size and is pretty fast. I looked at other computers and at the Ipad, but this one fits my needs much better. Now when I travel, I leave my larger laptop at home and take this one instead. The battery life is also amazing, and this computer only weighs 3.3#! Hard drive is small so I bought a couple 32 GB SD cards to store files on.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SELLER, November 1, 2013
I have never had such an awful experience with an online purchase. I bought this computer about a month ago and about a week after receiving it I opened the laptop and a black crack appeared on the LCD and the screen went to static. I took it into a specialist to get a diagnosis and he told me that the original LCD had been replaced with a cheaper, flimsier version and that such damage was really inevitable. I contacted the seller, send the computer back and they refused to fix it because of "physical damage" even though there was absolutely no physical damage anywhere on the laptop. I fought for them to at least fix the screen as this should never happen (let alone within a week of receipt) and they continued to refuse (meanwhile I was paying for a weekly laptop rental as I'm a graduate student and can't do anything without a working computer); this process went on for a few weeks. Finally I contacted Amazon who agreed to refund me but then changed their mind because the seller wouldn't cooperate. A month later I am still fighting for either Amazon or the vender to at least pay to have the screen fixed and I am still laptop-less. This vendor was unhelpful, unprofessional, rude and extremely difficult to work with. I recommend that Amazon not back companies that provide such poor customer service and take advantage of their customers, who assume that they are protected by making purchases through Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars I always seek out refurbs., June 11, 2013
Amazon Customer (Gilbet, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
Excellent product for the money. I have been a strong believer of refurbished tech for many years. Especially HP and Toshiba. Not only can you get your hands on some great tech for almost half the price, you get the same warranty as new and you KNOW the manufacturer has tested the snot out of every component.

I decided on this system since we bought one at my place of work and after I had configured and joined it to our network, but before finally handing it over to the final user, I played with it extensively. FAST boot!! Between 11 and 15 seconds from power on to the desktop (before it was joined to the domain and required a login).

My refurbished system worked great right out of the box, though the first thing I did was wipe the HDD of the Win 7 Home edition and the avalanche of HP and 3rd party bloatware. Clean install of Win 7 Ultimate and MS Office 2012 Pro, and it was flying!!
Incredibly quiet with a very nice solid feel. I especially love the backlit keyboard. Comes in very handy.

A few SMALL Cons:

This is a "Sealed System". It is built and designed almost like a smart phone. There are no rear covers for access to HDD, system RAM or any other installed components. Yes there are torx screws on the back cover, and yes I popped it open, but this option is not for the faint of heart. I've been an A+ certified hardware technician since 1998, and I'm still researching how to properly upgrade the small(ish) 128 GIG SSHDD to something a little bigger.

That's the second con; pretty small capacity HDD. Back in 1985, I would have lost my mind if I heard someone tell me that 128 Gigabytes of storage was barely enough for useful storage, but today it's true. To get around this, I purchased a 64 Gigabyte SD card and popped it into the included card reader and leave it installed as my D: drive. This I've mapped as my documents/music/etc folders. By combining these 2 media disciplines, I've be able to keep about 65% of the primary boot drive clear. Only issue is that by doing this, I am losing the benefit of the solid state drives' ability for VERY fast data access. Though what I'm storing is mostly data that is not accessed unless I specify (open a doc, play an mp3...) the delay is negligible.

Third con; no optical drive. Once again, not a big issue for me, as I have an external USB DVD/RW drive and it works great for installations and movie watching. Since this system is so slim and solid, I have no issue carrying it along with it's power supply and the external optical drive in a light "messenger" style bag.

System is at 4 Gigabytes of system RAM and can not be upgraded, so there is that also....

Overall a wonderful, extremely portable system for the money. Would I have spent $1300 for the factory model like we did at work? No. But as a refurb at almost 1/2 that cost, it's a great bargain. I love the feel of the keyboard and the screen is clear and bright while playing DVD's (via external optical drive as stated above) with clarity expected from systems of much higher cost.

If the need arose, I would not hesitate to purchase additional systems.

Hope this helps with your buying decision.

4.0 out of 5 stars Battery life is amazing (7hrs +) and the profile of the laptop is nice and thin, but feel very sturdy., March 10, 2013
I love everything about this laptop except for the fan noise that many previous people have mentioned. I also was expecting this to run faster than my HP dv6 model with a core i3 processor, since my folio has a core i5 processor, but that is not the case unfortunately. Other than that, the light weight, thin profile, sturdy built with a long battery life is hard to beat. Also, with the ssd, this thing boots up really fast!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop, May 17, 2013
It's light, thin, quick to startup, snappy performance in use. It would be nice if it had a VGA out, and I add a wireless mouse since I'm not crazy about touchpads, that's about the only slightly negative things I can think of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop, February 27, 2013
A fantastic deal for the price - not the thinnest or lightest, but PLENTY thin and light, and great build quality, particularly the keyboard. Very pleased.