4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but loud fan keeps it from being great
Published on September 2, 2011 by MTM

Published on October 23, 2011 by DPA

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but loud fan keeps it from being great, September 2, 2011
This review is from: HP G6-1B60US Notebook PC (Charcoal Gray) (Personal Computers)
Overall the HP G6-1b60us is a good balance of features, performance and price - only the loud cooling fan keeps it from being great. The display is bright, the keyboard has a good feel and the large off-center touchpad makes a lot of sense for anyone that operates a mouse with their right hand. The mouse buttons below the touchpad are a bit stiff, but for light usage don't seem overly difficult. Performance is about what I expected from a budget laptop model with Windows 7 being ready for use in just under 20 seconds (prior to loading any of your own programs). The computer is very easy to setup out of the box with smart and simple setup menus to guide you through initial startup of the system, and fortunately HP has left a lot of 3rd party trial software off the system - saving you time from having to remove software that just slows your system down from the start.

The one standout weakness of this computer is the constant, unwavering system cooling fan noise. If you are someone bothered by the constant "shhhh" noise of a small computer fan, this computer is NOT for you. In a quiet room the fan will be very noticeable - particularly if the laptop is on a hard surface such as a table where the sound is reflected back at you. The one setting related to the system fan (the ability to disable the fan from a setting of "Always on" in the system BIOS) seems to have no effect on the speed or time of operation of the fan in this model. The fan is louder than every high-performance laptop computer I have used at work over 10 years, and is perhaps necessary for the AMD processor in this system, but it is the only disappointment in an otherwise solid entry level laptop. A summary of pros and cons as I see them from my use of system are below.

Pros:
* Good ergonomics - Bright display, solid keyboard feel, well placed touchpad

Cons:

Other information:
Windows Experience Index ratings for the system running Windows 7 Premium 64-bit as configured out of the box are: Processor: 5.4, Memory: 5.9, Graphics: 4.6, Gaming graphics: 6.2, Primary hard disk: 5.9

In conclusion I would recommend this laptop if the price is under $500, but only for someone not annoyed by the kind of steady noise a computer fan can produce.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop value!, September 28, 2011
What Matters (Northampton, MA United States) - See all my reviews
I believe this is a terrific value for someone who wants a laptop to do more than just web browsing, email,and word processing. It's fast enough and has adequate memory to work with video and music. We've been impressed with the keyboard, screen resolution, weight and "feel". The processor does its job effectively without any lag. For anyone who needs a good laptop and does not want to spend a lot of money this one is a great choice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Deal, October 27, 2011
Awesome. Silent and smooth. Runs everything pretty fast. Perfect for casual gamming. Run most of the new games in medium settings. It's an excellent deal. You won't get anything better for this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laptop works great!, September 11, 2011
Got this laptop as my backup for when I DJ parties. My wife also uses it when I don't need it. Works & looks great. Light weight. Screen is bright. Just what I need for my basic needs. I couldnt resist the price $400 then signed up for their credit card and got $50 off of that. $350 for this laptop! Nice!

2.0 out of 5 stars I recently heard that HP stands for "Having Problems" & am now wondering if this is true, shrugs shoulders., October 23, 2011
My favourite definition of quality is "fitness for use", more importantly especially when buying a laptop, headache free use. Whilst this laptop may be many things: solid build, nice design, HP support assistant software two thumbs up and all. This laptop should also come with a note saying headache attached as the battery stated "77% available, plugged in not charging" within 48 hours of its receipt thereby turning my smile into a frown :(.

I did research some laptops before choosing this one so there are some good points about this laptop and they are as follows:

Price: Not bad, but not great, @ USD $449.99 it was sweet enough for me to say yes to, however I quickly turned sour when I saw that within 72hrs of my purchasing the item the price had dipped to $379.99 USD. I wanted to cry! That's what I would have called a great price. This however only lasted for approximately 48 hrs before skyrocketing up to $479.99 (Had even considered buying another one @ $379.99, but these hopes were quickly dashed, felt as if I was on the Fed with prices moving up and down so sudden!y)

With regards to overall build etc a previous reviewer "MTM" had a really good take on it so I'll just copy portions of his/ her review and add my own spin.

Pros:
* Good ergonomics - Bright display, solid keyboard feel, well placed touchpad (I would like to emphasize the touchpad, its like a fine metal grating, so the traction is out of this world!! (No more slipping and sliding)

* Very good sound - The Altec Lansing speakers produce very clear sound and volume for an entry level system and are placed in a smarter location than many laptops that place them on top where they collect dirt and other debris (Whilst this may be true in a "quiet environment" the speakers otherwise perform in a noisy environment,headphones will be required, but I will put a hold on blaming HP for this as I believe its a trade off due to the fact that the speakers are SRS. So for some people the sound may be a CON)

* Sturdy construction - Large display hinges feel solid, the unit doesn't flex easily and materials used in construction appear of good quality (I'll definitely agree to this!!. Like a Rock! Ok well maybe I exaggerate but it does not flex like those of another very popular Manufacturer's, when picked up by an edge.)

* Good performance - The system is reasonably quick for any standard computing needs, and could be further improved with replacement of standard 5400 rpm hard drive. (Emphasis on the word "reasonably" whilst surfing via firefox, admittedly I was seriously multi-tabbing and had an excel sheet open Total Ram usage was noted as having reached 3.53GB of a total 4GB, with CPU usage frequently reaching 100%....should I be frightened?? I believe the problem is the processor as it has a 1.9ghz base with a very dismal 1 MB level 2 cache, Phoeey!!!).

Cons:
* Loud system fan noise - Constant, unchanging fan noise can be quite noticeable in quiet rooms or on hard surfaces (Only a problem if you suffer from some sort of neurosis, or are trying to sleep with it on in the room! Didn't mind it most times.)

* Few hardware configuration options - Related to the fan in particular, no ability via BIOS or Windows settings to manage cooling fan operation even by reducing CPU performance (Not really that big of a deal except in the 2 instances noted above)

* Poor access to memory/hard drive - If you want to add memory or change to a faster hard drive or SSD in the future the access panel is snapped in by plastic tabs that are guaranteed to break off with more than one removal (Not sure haven't checked)

ADDITIONALLY:
PROS
Try connecting the lappy to a big screen via the HDMI port and maybe just maybe you may forget that the machine came with a defective battery. AMD Radeon(tm) HD 6480G Discrete-Class Graphics with up to "2037MB total graphics memory". They didn't lie at all HDMI all the way, plug and play, don't buy another laptop without it!!!!!!!!!!
-The Cam and Mic are fairly ok, no complaints!

CONS
*The laptops display has limited viewing angles as the it was built with the intention of being a power saver, this is not really a biggy unless more than on person is trying to watch a movie at the same time.

*The laptop display itself may be suspect as I've noted lots of horizontal lines flickering across it from time to time (but truth be told I was doing a windows update of the video drivers at the time so may be the reason for the isplay being antsy) and I cringe every single time....who knows maybe apart from a defective battery I got a defective display as well? Raises eyebrow.

*With regards to the DVD-RW drive it works but not so well if you're reading a disc with lots of pics or one that's been burn't for e.g. say more than 2 yrs ago the ROM starts vibrating and spinning at incredibly fast speeds. you can literally hear the disk coming into contact with the walls of the compartment an of course the explorer window freezes.

You may ask why based on the above didn't I send back the laptop.

Response I live in the Caribbean and it cost an additional $41 USD to ship it to my country. So thinking about the $41 USD to return it to the states and the other $41 USD to get another laptop with possibly of a defective everything???

Better the devil you know than the one you do not!

I contacted HP customer support and they shipped me a new battery free of charge. Paid $9 USD to ship it out of the US. I was however able to return ship the defective battery to HP free of charge via Fedex! (Good going HP at least you got that right!!)

My opinion this would be a steal of a deal at under $400 USD....saw Anthony D paid $399.99. Lucky guy!

Whats missing:
-Bluetooth
- A better processor probably one with a 3mb cache @ 2.3 ghz??
With the above this laptop could easily have sold for $480 or so.

5.0 out of 5 stars HP Has Done Well Here, August 29, 2011
For 399.99 (my purchase price) this laptop is amazing. Runs quiet, cool and fast. No issues at all thus far. The AMD dual core works very well with this laptop.

5.0 out of 5 stars friendly, October 4, 2011
Easy keyboard and easy to use. I like to play games on Facebook and this machine does this very well. The graphics are adequate for light gaming. Excellent product for the price

2.0 out of 5 stars The OVERHEATER., October 22, 2012
Erik M. Kluiber (Hollywood, Ca 90028) - See all my reviews
Bought this pc for the price. I've had it 1 year. It's been fine except for 2 issues.

1. The usb ports do not hold usb cables well. The chords are constantly falling out and unplugging my external hard drive and guitar interface. Very annoying.

2. It easily overheats. If you don't put it in sleep mode when you're not using it, the computer over heats after about 6 hours and shuts down until it cools down. I've never had a computer that i HAD to put in sleep mode when I wasn't using it.

3. edit - It overheats constantly. Can't get through an online show of Dexter streaming send to my tv via the HDMI out with out it overheating and shutting down. I have an external cooling fan underneath which is not adequate. Get an extended warranty or buy a model that isn't prone to overheating.

4.0 out of 5 stars Audio Distortion, March 3, 2012
I just bought this laptop the other day, being the first laptop I've owned (I was stubborn because I prefer CRT screens when painting digitally). Because it's fresh, I can't write an amazing review, but I'll give you the impressions I've gotten from the past few days. Mine has 320 gigs of HDD space, and 4 gigs of RAM with a Radeon HD 6000 series graphics card. Performance is really great. I have Photoshop CS5 (a real memory hog) loaded on here, and this is one of few machines I've used that didn't seem to have any kind of problem with it. Battery life is great for the screen size.

There are, of course, some cons. I'm a huge audiophile, and this computer's audio output is slightly distorted (even with headphones). I'm not sure if it's just a problem with the jack, but comparing a FLAC version of In The End on this computer (on the Zune software, Itunes, and Windows Media Player), my desktop and my Zune HD, I've definitely found that there's some distortion exclusively coming from this laptop. It's not very noticeable, and most consumers wouldn't see that as a reason not to purchase. But my Zune can't fit all of my music, and I'll be using this hours at a time for graphic work, letting my collection shuffle. I'm considering returning this model because that distortion will drive me up the wall. I'm not sure if it's just my particular model.

Also, when the screen's brightness is mid level, the brightness will jump around when I'm on the internet. I don't have this problem when the brightness is at its highest or lowest, and again it's not extremely noticeable, but it is worrisome. In complete silence, the fan and processor are almost as loud as my desktop, and I own an HP Compaq that's 11 years old.

On a better note, this laptop is relatively lightweight and portable in comparison to some models I've worked with. It's a computer, not a pillow, guys. Yes it's going to have a bit of weight to it, but it's definitely not cumbrous.

I got this computer for $379 (rounding to 400 with tax), a GREAT machine for the price, but I am considering returning this and looking at other models because of the audio problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars great laptop for the money, January 17, 2012
jim v (Indiana,usa) - See all my reviews
I have had this laptop for over 3 months now haven't had a problem yet.I was looking at many laptops but decided on this hp,I had heard from a friend that that hp laptops have cooling problems and my sister owned an hp that melted the hard drive from the heat this is not the same laptop hers was an older hp laptop she got it in 2007,but with this one they have corrected that overheating issue with a great cooling system the bottom is always cool this laptop is great no problems yet I've seen a few bad reviews but got this laptop anyway and have had zero problems with it yet.The best computer I have owned so far I also own a hp desktop so hp has done a good job on this laptop get yourself one and you will be very happy with this laptop.p.s the cooling fan is a little loud when it runs but it cools the computer good so it's ok and it only cycles about every 15 to 20 minutes so it's ok.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

HP G6-1B60US Notebook PC (Charcoal Gray)
Used & New from: $269.99