5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!
Published on February 13, 2013 by Jason Lo

Published 19 months ago by RON VARSHAY

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, February 13, 2013
This review is from: HP Pavilion G6-2235us 15.6" Laptop (2.7 GHz AMD A6-4400M Accelerated Processor, 4GB RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, SuperMulti DVD Burner, Windows 8) (Personal Computers)
I would highly recommend this product. Honestly, I wasn't expecting much with the amount of money I spent on it,and boy, was I surprised. It's nicely built and runs fast. Well done, HP!This is my first Windows 8 PC, it took some time getting used to, but I'm digging the OS so far. Also, I just wanna mention what a bargain it was, it was a whole 30 bucks cheaper than the similar 2210us model which has lower specs. I'm extremely happy with this purchase, worth every penny!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little laptop for the price, June 11, 2013
Overall, this is a great laptop, especially at this bargain price. I'll go over point by point the features and their pros and cons so people know what they're getting and if it's right for them.

Appearance and size: The laptop is pretty compact and very lightweight. Really easy to carry around. It's glossy black, which is prone to smudging, but is easily cleaned with a microfiber cloth. The keyboards is a good size. The finger pad for the mouse, however, I find a little too wide, as I find that my hand naturally rests in the area when I'm trying to move the mouse which got a little irritating, but I overcame the problem by watching my hand placement as I work on the PC.

Screen resolution: It's crystal clear for basic things like webpages and pictures. Videos are a little less clear. Not bad, just not as clean as it could be. It is capable of 1080HD.

OS: Since this is a review for the laptop and not the OS, I won't talk to much about Windows 8. I'll just say it is quite easy to get the hang of, and the regular desktop is still easily accessible. The start menu can also be brought back by purchasing and downloading Start8 from Stardock for $5. Another thing I'll say is because Windows 8 was really meant for tablets, default settings make it so you can swipe to access different apps you have open. This is annoying on a laptop, as too fast a move on your mouse pad swipes you to another app. This can be turned off in your settings.

Movies and TV: As I said, videos aren't the cleanest picture they could be, but aren't bad either. A Netflix app is preinstalled on the PC, which I personally love and use all the time. DVDs play about the same as other media. The DVD drive can sometimes be a bit loud.

Gaming: I should note that while this is not intended to be a gaming PC, this should not scare off occasional gamers. The PC is more than capable of handling the preinstalled games, as well as other more involved games. So far, I've played The Sims 3, Portal, Zoo Tycoon, and BioShock with no problems, save for the occasional slow load.

Microsoft Office: The PC comes with Microsoft Office 2010 preinstalled (however you have to purchase the key code). If you, like me, already have Microsoft Office 2007 or an earlier version, these apps will be useless to you. You can still access Microsoft Office in either the desktop mode or the Windows 8 user interface. Just open the ones you installed rather than the preinstalled.

Security: It comes with Norton. Delete Norton. Download your preferred security software.

Overall usability: The first few days I had the laptop, it ran a little slow, but I think that was due to all the file transfers and program downloads I bogged it down with. Also, the PC is equipped with 4GB of RAM, but is upgrade capable up to 8GB. I highly recommend upgrading the RAM to 8GB to max out the PC. After installing the RAM and adjusting the PC setting accordingly, it ran fast and smoothly. The RAM is easy to install yourself. Thanks to the built in air conditioner and CoolSense app, the PC doesn't get hot and stays cool even while plugged in. The PC also has a whopping 750GB of storage space, incredible for the PC's price and size (however it actually translates to 672GB with the OS). The 672GB should last a long time.

Bottom Line: This PC is excellent for the price, and should suit the average user's needs. It's cheap, efficient, and pretty sweet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Replacement PC, March 28, 2013
Just ordered, and received this laptop from Amazon. Ordered it on a Sunday morning, and it was sitting at my front door on Tuesday by 11:00 a,m,. Really enjoy my Prime membership. Great job Amazon.

As for the computer itself, I've only had it a few days but it is exactly what I wanted. Not a high performance machine by any stretch but it's no slouch either, A lot of computer for the money. It came with 4GB of RAM and I ordered an additional 4GB memory card which should be in soon and then this machine will be maxed out. Screen view is excellent. Start up is quick after removing some of the crap ware that came with it. After reading all the hate reviews on Windows 8 I was a little leery. Although it is different, I'm beginning to like it. Windows 7 desktop can be brought up easily if desired. Not a gamer or laptop movie viewer so I can't really comment on these aspects. I haven't even tried the optical drive yet; not sure I'll really ever need it. Went 3 1/2 years with the laptop this one replaced and never needed one. I like the looks of it in sparkling black (finger prints will be an issue but easily wiped away). Having the side numeric touch pad is a definite plus on a laptop at this price. This is my sixth HP computer and I 've never had a single issue with the first five which is why I stayed with HP. The only concern I have with this machine, and I might be picky, is that the scrollable mouse pad is very sensitive and can cause you to move you cursor very easily and unexpectedly if touched by accident. I added a wireless mouse to remedy this. For the money I paid I'm a happy camper and see no reason why I can't get many years of enjoyment from the machine

5.0 out of 5 stars Just What I Have Come To Expect From Amazon, April 13, 2013
When my laptop bit the dust, I scoured the internet for a replacement - looking for the best value. I'm retired, and am very frugal with my money. I read reviews, compared specifications, and came down to about 4 laptops. When I realized one of them was the same brand and model that my daughter was using, that made my decision. My daughter's HP Pavilion is several years old, but working great - and she shares hers with her 3 children. It's taken a beating, and still performs. My only worry was the new Windows 8 operating system. Other reviews indicated the operating system was difficult to learn and hard to understand. It looked to me like I had no choice. All new laptops were Windows 8.
The laptop was delivered exactly when Amazon said it would be (they are VERY dependable about delivery!). I opened the box, hooked up the laptop and began copying the data from my old computer. I've had the new laptop for only 4 days now, but so far have not found anything to complain about. I love the touch of the keyboard, and really like the numeric keypad. I'm not a fan of the keyboard mouse, preferring to use the traditional mouse instead, but I've been using the keyboard mouse pad occasionally, and find it less sensitive than others I've used. (My main complaint previously was that even when I didn't want the mouse to move, it would move because my sleeve touched it or something else random brushed against it.) This mouse pad is not smooth, it is a little bumpy, which I think makes it easier to use.
And Windows 8? Yes, it's new, a little confusing - but even at my old age, I've managed to adapt to it. I know it hasn't even been a week yet, but I am completely satisfied with this purchase, and pleased with the value for my money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely wrecked LCD screen and neither Amazon, HP, Flower-Electronics nor Chase Credit card will warrant the computer., July 31, 2013
This HP computer was sold by Flower-Electronics thru Amazon. They shipped the computer in the store box (only 3 months earlier I purchased an HP computer from a different company and it was shipped with a 2nd outer box - it was undamaged). This store box had a 2" gash in it upon arrival. I did not see any damage but I did not use a magnifying glass. After 4 days, upon opening the computer, the LCD screen was totally wrecked. At a point near the bottom of the screen emanated multiple lines and patterns like an inkblot. No apparent reason. I repacked the computer in the box and was able to verify what happened. The position of the gash on the store box matched exactly the center of the emanating lines and patterns on the LCD screen. It was then obvious that the damage to the flimsy store box caused enough damage to the LCD screen so that this failure would eventually occur. I started with HP who said that it was shipping damage and that the shipper should warrant the computer. HP would not warrant it. The seller, Flower-Electronics, delayed me enough to reach 30 days so that Amazon would not warrant the product under the A-to-Z Guarantee (I was unaware of a 30 day time limit - although I did everything requested to process the guarantee before the 30 days). Because 4 days passed between delivery and complete wreckage, my credit card company would not warrant the product. Flower-Electronics would not take responsibility for the poor shipping method and also did as much as possible to delay so as to not cover the computer under the A-to-Z Guarantee. I have a computer for 4 days and I'm out nearly $400. Amazon was not interested in helping. Flower-Electronics is deceptive and not responsible enough to ship the product properly. I have spent thousands of dollars with Amazon. No longer. Beware when it comes down to warranty with a remote store such as Amazon and Flower-Electronics.

4.0 out of 5 stars For anyone who runs a lot of programs/games!, August 27, 2013
I have had this computer for 6 months to a year. It still runs well. I upgraded to 8gb of RAM and I highly recommend you do too.
Windows 8: I can't really say much about Windows 8 except that I, personally do not like it and think it was made for only touchscreens computers/tablets. I just use the desktop app and totally ignore Windows 8.
Gaming:
I am a gamer and use this computer for many games (about 12)on a regular basis. It runs everything from Skyrim (on medium to high quality) to Dota 2/League of Legends to Minecraft. I rarely have problems running any of them and it does its job. It's a great computer if you are on a low budget, but if you can, buy a computer really made for gaming so it runs completely smooth. I can also run a game like League of legends and talk to my friends on Skype at the same time. It has pretty good graphics too.
Art:
I use a very large amount of art programs also like photoshop, GIMP, Autodesk Sketchbook Express and use my bamboo capture tablet on it. No complaints, works great.
Netflix:
The HDMI port on the side hooks into my tv and I can watch netflix, no problem.
Overall:
On a small budget, this computer is great and will do its job even if you want to run a few games but beware, it will slow down your computer. I also recommend you invest in a mouse, because the touch pad on the bottom can be annoying and not even close to Apple's touch pad. If you have any other questions, comment. I'll try to get back to you ASAP.

1.0 out of 5 stars Born on Friday and died on a Thursday, September 12, 2013
The service was great and very fast and prompt. I can't take that away from seller. However this is by far the worse experience with a laptop I've ever had and I had several( all HP). This computer did not run smoothly. It would open other programs while I was surfing the internet. I received it on a Friday and it shorted out forever on a Thursday. Took 6 days to die. This is the last time I will be dealing with HP.

1.0 out of 5 stars Jumpy Cursor Problem, October 26, 2013
This is a beautiful machine. It has nice features. However, my HP Pavilion also has a jumpy cursor problem. Whenever I am in Word, e-mail or PowerPoint, the cursor randomly jumps to an earlier point in the document, sometimes deleting everything in between in the process. HP has unsuccessfully attempted to repair my machine three times and refuses to give me a fair refund. I will never buy another HP computer again!

2.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't buy it again, June 23, 2013
It's not a very good buy. It keeps cutting out on me. If Ihad it to do over I wouldn't have bought it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish I Could Take it Back, September 2, 2013
*1 Year Update* Two weeks ago I opened my laptop to find horizontal and vertical lines all over the screen. Luckily it was still covered under warranty so I sent the laptop in for a free repair. I was called a week later by HP explaining that the internal LCD screen was cracked, which could have only been from the result of damage, which is not covered under warranty. I couldn't believe it! I had done nothing to it what-so-ever. It wasn't dropped, sat-on, or otherwise abused or damaged in any way. It just broke! I suspect from the normal opening and closing of the monitor. Then they tried to charge me $350 for repair, which is nearly what I paid for this piece of junk in the first place. Owning this laptop has been a nightmare. The problems I mentioned in my initial review still plague me, and HP and Microsoft act like they don't even care. I've always been anti-mac but now considering spending an arm-and a leg to buy one if that's what it's going to take to get a good product. I just feel totally had.*

This is my 3rd HP, and after buying this laptop, I won't be purchasing an HP product again. So I'll just break down my complaints to specifics for any perspective buyer.

Screen Resolution - The color on this screen sucks. The colors aren't vivid or bright. In fact, the screen resolution is worse than my phone, and even my old Compaq Presario that I purchased about 4 years ago. What sucks about this is that I do a lot of photo-editing for my website, and I've noticed then when I visit my site from my phone or my Knidle the photos appear over-edited simply because of the dull coloring on the laptop.

Keyboard - Right out of the box some of the keys stuck. Stupidly, I didn't return it then.

Sometimes it does not recognize my devices. This is particularly frustrating because I have a Windows 8 Phone, and this Windows 8 Laptop wont recognize it.

Lousy wireless network drive. I'm not a computer geek, so I don't know the technical terms, but I lose my connection constantly. In fact as I am typing this, I looked down to notice that I just lost my connection. The network is fine. Other devices in the house work fine, but not my brand new HP Pavilion (oh, now I'm connected again). I updated the driver for the network card, but it hasn't helped.

The most frustrating part about this laptop is that neither HP nor Microsoft customer service will help me. I've spent hours on the phone with both, and they just give me the run around. HP says that because it's not a hardware issue they can't help. Microsoft says that because Windows came pre-installed, they can't help either, and that I should call HP. I've explained this too them, and they still wont help. Microsoft has offered to troubleshoot connectivity issues over the phone FOR A FEE! I, of course think this absolutely insane since the laptop is brand new. What makes it even more annoying is that the people I have spoken too are all overseas, and speak broken English, and can't seem to deviate from their script. They have no independent critically thinking skills, and just repeat the same drivel over and over.

The worst part is that these two main issue (not recognizing devices and wifi connectivity), didn't reveal themselves until about 2 months after I bought the laptop, so I can't return it to Amazon. I guess I'm stuck with this laptop, with absolutely no support from HP or Microsoft whats-so-ever. I've always been a Microsoft guy. I have A Windows Phone, an XBOX, a ZUNE, and subscriptions to various Microsoft services, and I feel like they should care a little more about someone so invested in their products... Its no wonder that HP and Microsoft are losing so much ground in the PC market.