4.0 out of 5 stars Good general purpose workhorse

3.0 out of 5 stars Good machine with bad interface
Published on September 14, 2010 by Uthor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good general purpose workhorse, April 27, 2010
This review is from: HP G62-140US 15.6-Inch Laptop (Bronze) (Personal Computers)
I bought this laptop after doing quite a bit of research, looking for a replacement for the family computer at a reasonable price point. Considering the value of the computer against the price, I think this is a good deal, though this machine is not ideal for all uses. This computer is good for general use, such as surfing the net, playing the occasional game or working on spreadsheets. It's neither a heavy gaming rig nor a heavy-duty business machine, but it is sufficient for almost any everyday task that can be thrown at it. This is the ideal for which I was looking. In that capacity it does itself proud.

Having previously bought a Hewlett-Packard laptop I had hoped that this machine would have the standard media set, meaning recovery disks and documentation, but this is not the case. HP has elected to require the owner to make their own recovery media, which is a cost-saving measure for HP and a tedious annoyance for end-users. To be fair, it seems that most manufacturers have taken this route, so this should come as no surprise. Making recovery media requires 3 single-layer DVDs, and the creation tool says that either DVD+R or DVD-R platters are acceptable. I did not try dual-layer media.

On first boot, the user is greeted with a welcome/setup application that guides the user through the process of setting up wireless networking, naming the user account and of course registration. I personally think this application is very cartoony in appearance, using the image of hands to walk you through turning pages and transition screens. While it's clear HP is targeting home users with this approach, it seems out of place for more professional use. It's a personal preference, though, and it accomplishes the end goal.

Once booted up into Windows 7 the first time, the barrage of "Register Me" and "Activate this Software" popup windows began and it not only was distracting and annoying but it interfered with my personal setup. In the middle of creating the recovery media, a window popped over top of the recovery application asking if I wanted to make recovery DVDs. I would have preferred that it detect the process in progress, or at most give me a system tray notification instead. Though annoying, this can be dealt with either by activation/registration or performing an uninstall of the offending application(s).

My first order of business was to strip the extra stuff I don't want from the OS. I removed MS Office 2007 trial and I removed all things Norton/Symantec. This was mercifully very easy and quick. Now, that said, for the user that actually wants these applications (and I suspect there's quite a few people who do) having these pre-installed will be very convenient. For me, I have no intention of using any of these as I have software for which I have licenses already, so I removed them.

Some people have difficulties with the touch pad, though I have not. I personally dislike most laptop touchpads and this one is no exception though it works as it should and is flush with the rest of the plastic shell. That said, the touchpad "mouse buttons" are actually one unified rocker button that is stiff and unresponsive.

The keyboard is another matter entirely. Though I have had no issues with the keyboard, I am concerned that the wireless adapter is enabled and disabled through the F12 key, not separated from the rest of the keys on the keyboard. This is asking for trouble for people that do not use a separate keyboard. HP can expect complaints about the wireless getting cut on and off via bad keystrokes.

Another puzzling design decision is that there appears to be no latch for the laptop lid. It simply opens or closes, no more or less. In my case this is not a major issue as the system will sit on a desk and not move; for those on the go this could be a potential issue, especially if the computer is dropped. Keep this in mind.

None of the ports on this unit are on the back; all of them are located on the sides, including the power and the VGA interfaces. At first this bothered me. I can see some wisdom in it now, though, because of the hinge and the ability to move the system flush with the back of the desk which is against the wall. Again, this is beneficial for me. If you are left-handed, though, this could be very problematic as two of the USB ports, the HDMI port and the VGA interface are all on the left and if all of those are plugged in the cords will interfere with external mice. In my case I am connecting an external monitor, mouse and keyboard so the system does not need to be directly in front of the user.

In terms of performance, this is a peppy system. There's 4 GB of RAM, expandable to 8, which gives Windows and applications plenty of breathing room. The processor is 2.13 GHz with 2 cores, sufficient for most software (though not for high-end games). The hard drive is a 7200-RPM drive, a very noticeable upgrade from the 5400-RPM drive in my older HP. The graphics adapter is really the only weakness when it comes to speed, but even so it is still a decent graphics adapter and will work just fine for the majority of users.

I do like the styling with the interesting texture and color of the plastic shell. It is most certainly not necessary but it's a break from the ordinary that makes this laptop a little more interesting. HP did a great job with making the touchpad seamless, too, which will keep crud from gathering in the edges.

Overall, I am satisfied with this system. It meets the needs for which I purchased it, it's stylish and it performs well. It is by no means perfect, but at the price point it's more system than I could otherwise ask for. If you need a good workhorse laptop that is affordable, this is a good candidate. Be aware that there are a few negatives too, such a port placement, when purchasing, though an argument can be made for the negatives being no more than personal preference.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good machine with bad interface, September 14, 2010
For the most part, this laptop does everything you'd expect it to. Windows 7 has some quirks, but I'm liking it for the most part (coming from Vista is a much easier transition than I'd imagine coming from XP would be). The HDMI connection is a snap to use (Turn on TV, plug in cable, the computer switches all the video settings correctly. Unplug the cable and the computer switches everything back to the built in display automatically). Bloatware was fairly minimal and easy to uninstall. Not coming with backup discs is annoying, but Windows lets you make a set yourself, so at least there's something. The battery lasts me 2-3 hours depending how much video I watch. The 4GB of RAM and 320 GB hard drive make this a good value. It's a laptop and it works.

The only annoying software related dislike is the defualt of locking the Fn commands as I use the F1, F2, etc keys a lot. This requires messing with BIOS to turn off, but would be useful for an average user who doesn't understand what F-keys do.

I'm really annoyed with the input devices, though. The keyboard is mostly standard, but there's a couple of small things that annoy. The quick launch buttons on the left are useless and get in the way (I always hit "calculator" instead of Ctrl). Esc is shifted over the quick launch buttons, so I keep hitting F1 instead of Esc and F2 instead of F1, etc. There's nothing to differenciate the arrow keys from the other keys, so it's hard to use them without looking. Typing on the keyboard is nice, though.

The trackpad is really annoying. It's difficult to use without looking. If you have two fingers on the pad, it doesn't respond at all (if there's multitouch, I haven't figured out how to turn it on). It's fairly easy to accidentally touch while typing. When I close the lid and open it, it doesn't respond the first time I touch it (which leads to me closing windows and tabs accidentally trying to get the pad to respond). I've eventually learned to work with the trackpad, but that involved changing how I type and use the computer by holding my wrists up, which I really shouldn't have to do.

For the price I paid ($120 less than Amazon currently offers), I can live with the problems. Otherwise, they'd annoying enough for me to look at another manufacturer.

EDIT: Less than a year after buying the laptop, the battery is dead. It barely holds a charge (about 20-30 minutes) and dies unexpectedly (while reading over 20% left on the meter). I never kept the computer plugged in with a full battery charge (charge the battery, unplug, use down to 15-20%, charge again) and used it about 8 hours per day (off at night and while I'm at work). The death of the battery was very sudden: it seemed fine for the first 8-9 months of use, started turning off unexpectedly for a couple of weeks, and then completely failed to hold a charge.

5.0 out of 5 stars College Student, August 18, 2010
I am a college student and, like most college students, I'm pretty broke. Not only am I just a broke college student I am photographer and photoshop lover! I am going into photogrpahy and the computer that I had was over seven years old and bearly running. I needed and I mean needed a good laptop that had all the memory capablity that I needed to run PhotoShop and whatever other photo editing programs I needed.

You could say that my needs for the right computer and my wallet size didn't really see eye to eye. Most of the computers I looked at(that I could afford) were always laking someing. It could be the screen size or the ram or some other little quirk that wouldn't fit my needs. So I was stressing!!

When I ordered this laptop I was so nervus because if it didn't work the way I needed it to then I would have been in a very sad state of mind! Not to mention this is one of my first orders off of Amazon!! (I was a nervus wreck waiting for my order to come in and trying to upload and install photoshop while holding my breathe and crossing my fingers that it would install perfectly haha).

When my laptop arravied it was perfect! I uploaded Adobe Creatve Suite 3 and the Topaz Labs bundle to it and it works like a charm! Oh, and I can work in PhotoShop AND listen to Pandora or ITunes at the SAME time!!! It's amazing! Even with all of the programs I have installed it is so so so fast!

If you are a college student and a photographer or photoshopper and are stressing about finding the right computer then this one is the one for you! You don't have to be a college student or a photographer to love it, but trust me you will love it!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars HP LAPTOP HORRIBLE, February 27, 2011
DO not purchase this laptop. I bought one and in two months the screen stopped working. Additionally, I heard that this has happened to a few other people that have purchased HP Laptops. Worst part about it is that HP would not help me b/c they said it is out of the "21" day warranty. What kind of company only covers their product for the first 21 days. At least offer a 90 coverage. This has been a very disappointing experience for me. I highly urge anyone considering purchasing this product to rethink their decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars HP G62 Setting the Bar straight!, April 6, 2010
Fist off, by the look of this unit some might say it looks alot like the Macbook pro 13", with that being said, looks are NOT everything, This HP G62 packs alot of KICKASS punch, Unlike the other person who wrote that he's having a track pad problem.....GET GLASSES if you cannot see the track pad. One of the features regarding the track pad is the shut off, you just tap twice on the led thats located on top of the pad too disable the track pad, of which then an amber light comes on letting you know that you have disabled the track pad, too enable it, just tap twice and your good too go, this feature was made if you are going too use an external mouse. Now as far as This unit's functionality, its awesome, all hard drives depending on your configuration, are @ 7200 rpm,the base CPU is the new i3 core by intel, of which is upgradeable too the i5 or i7. It also features the new L3 cache, giving you a smoother ride then the older L2 cache systems. The system bus is well over 1066MHz, uses very fast DDR3 ram of which this unit is upgradeable too 8 gigs of ram. In addition the graphics are in true native, and watching a dvd was an experience, with the Altec Lansing audio surround. OK now for multi-task, I have compared it too the Macbook Pro, With the Intel core 2 duo running @ 2.8 Ghz, the results were very impressive, The HP (base model) not only beat the Macbook Pro in muli-tasking, but also ran apples own software like itunes and others with little effort, running adobe CS4 was so fast I could not believe what I was seeing. As far as surfing the web, I have never been on a mobile device that has speeds that are just unbelievable. HP and Intel have put together a product that surpasses systems worth $2000 and up. Of coarse if you deside too get your HP G62 FULLY loaded with the i7 intel cpu, blueray, 500gb hard drive, and dedicated graphics, and built in bluetooth, this unit will run you about $2400. Now weather you get the base model or upgraded version, 1 word....Kickass, its about time a PC company challenges the bar, weather your a casual user or an extreme user, makes no difference, this unit is built for decades too come! Well worth the money!

4.0 out of 5 stars I love my G62, August 19, 2012
The one thing I must say about my G62 is that I'd cry if it died. I love it to death. I bought it two years ago before heading off to college and I must say it beats out some of my friends newer laptops. I born and raised using Dell computers and this HP made me convert. Customer service with HP has been a breeze as well.

I mainly use it for papers, internet, NetFlix, and music. I run five or six programs at a time with no problem. I'd love better speakers and a keyboard that lit up, but its nothing that I can't live without. I do have a problem with overheating, the whole computer gets very hot. But then again it could be from all the multitasking.

3.0 out of 5 stars Last time buying an HP, October 13, 2011
I purchased this laptop from Best Buy, it was on sale for around $400. A great deal, but not worth the hassle.

Pros: The machine specs are fine - the dual-core processor keeps up with most activities, and the 320G hard drive is sufficient. With 4 gigs of ram and above-average intel video processing, I'm pleased with the performance. The screen is large enough, and the laptop fits conveniently in my backpack. I travel a lot, so this is a big plus. The battery is still strong enough to get through a long flight, even a year later.

Cons: The worst part about this laptop has to be the touchpad and keyboard layout. The mouse touchpad is just a textured surface below the keyboard - making it very difficult to tell where the edges are. Using the right side to scroll vertically on a page or document is all but impossible. The mouse buttons are so rigid that they cannot be clicked using your thumb while navigating the mouse pad with your index finger. Because of this, it's not possible to drag and drop items using the mouse without using two hands. Shortcut keys take up the far left column of the keyboard, and most are useless. You'll find yourself halted after accidentally launching Power DVD when you meant to hit Shift. On the right side of the keyboard, the Del, Home and Page buttons are arranged vertically - you'll find yourself hunting and pecking to locate the "end" button. As with most machines, the laptop comes bundled with excessive software.

Inexcusable:
1. My model was one of MANY with faulty fans. After 1 yr, the fan locked up and the machine would not boot to Windows. After dislodging with a paper clip, it's working again, but it's extremely loud. Finding a replacement fan is not something I'm looking forward to.
2. Like using shortcut keys? You're out of luck with this model. Alt+f4 and other common shortcuts for veteran computer users are disabled, and replaced by HP's own shortcuts. A poorly placed "fn" button will allow you to perform some of these functions. Very inconvenient for me.

Summary: I would not buy an HP laptop again. I've had great experience with Dells, and the difficulty of use on this machine far outweighs the benefit of the price tag. Buyer beware.

3.0 out of 5 stars locks up when batery charging, November 23, 2010
When computer is plugged in and charging, if you walk away or close the lid, the power light will remain on but computer will not wake up. Have to turn it off and back on. Doesn't happen when running on battery. Other than that, OK for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fair Rating from a Tech Geek College Student, July 19, 2010
I bought this product for a need in a larger laptop(14'+) for daily usage on a college campus for software development and multimedia. I went through extensive comparisons versus similar models including the design, usability, reliability, weight and cost factor. The models I did a comparison to were all i3 models with 4GB of DDR3 memory, 500GB hard drive, 6 cell batteries or better, and a normal graphics card(integrated HD or better).

The other models I compared with were the Samsung NP-R480-JAB1US, Toshiba Satellite A505-S600, and Sony Vaio VPCB11QGX/B. The reason I added only these laptops is because they are all of similar specs but with various differences.

The G62-140US was not my first line of choice and is still not. I just got it a day ago and am using it to type this entire review. The problem is getting used to the left side buttons that open shortcuts including PowerDVD, calculator, and outlook, with the esc key further away which I think is a completely useless design. However, the bright side is that the keyboard feels spacious and having large arrow keys is much better than the newly designed smaller arrow keys in the other line of models.
The design of the laptop has similarities to the older macbook but is more stylish(even the mouse track is decorated). However, the biggest problem is the mousetrack. The pad as stated in other reviews can be too sensitive at times and not sensitive enough at times because it is built with the exterior so the coating is covering the mousetrack. Clicking on the touch pad is pretty unresponsive at times since you have to press down hard so I remedied the situation by using an external mini-mouse.

The sound is average at best with Altec Lansing speakers but in a small room with no noise the quality is decent. The battery life I ran with a laptop cooler, usb mouse, HP recommended settings lasted only 2 ˝ hours while downloading and running multiple applications.

The system rating using the Microsoft WEI subscore (out of 7.9) is given as follows:
Processor: 6.2
Memory(RAM): 5.9
Graphics: 4.2
Gaming Graphics: 4.8
Primary Hard Drive 5.9
The subscore shows regular movie graphics and gaming graphics would be a bit above average, it holds significant memory for processing at fast speeds with the 4 core and the hard drive runs fast.

Comparisons:
Out of all 4 of the laptops, I enjoyed the Toshiba track pad and keyboard the most because of its smooth feel and layout. The battery life of the Toshiba is also significantly better with a 12 cell battery that can run up to 6-7 hours of battery life. The downside is the massive weight difference. The Sony VAIO has the worst battery life of the 4 and better quality and processor than the HP but the keyboard feels too cramped. The Samsung boosts great graphics with a blue-ray player built in with a similar price but the mouse track isn't the best.
Overall, the HP G62-140US is probably the best designed since the keyboard is centered to type with compared to a more left oriented keyboard and also gets no fingerprints unlike the other 3(especially the Samsung). Also, most people don't know this but the HP g62 actually has a faster hard drive, a 7200rpm WD3200BEKT in comparison to the other models with only 5400rpm so that that into consideration when notebook shopping. A HP holds a intel core i3 330M / 2.13 GHz so it is is going to be slightly slower than the models with i3 350M 2.3 Ghz so look into that. The costs is around $700 but I got the HP for $500 so I think if you can get it for $500 then it is definitely worth the money. My verdict is that the HP may not the best but it is definitely one to look at. I was not a fan of the design but actually the keyboard and mousetrack may actually be better than most once you get used to it so do buy this if you can get a great deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars G62-140us packs a punch for a low price, June 10, 2010
I've had this laptop for about a week now, and so far it has been a fantastic purchase. I bought this to replace my Dell XPS m1530 that died after 2 years. After months of reviews, waiting for the 2010 processors, and consulting with my IT department, I chose this HP over the Toshiba 16" Satellite A505-S6004, mostly because the HP had a faster HD speed, a better service record, and was $50 cheaper. Purchasing the "bronze" (what HP refers to as Biscotti) over silver also saved a few bucks - ended up getting this for $598 + Tax thru a store that rhymes with Tall-Smart.

I was worried about the color and pattern initially, thinking it was going to be very brown, but was surprised and pleased that it was just a hint of tan. The matte finish is great because it repels fingerprints. On to the important stuff....

For a price around $600, you really aren't going to find a better set of guts. The Intel i3 processor coupled with the 7200 RPM HD makes this system fly. Surfing the internet, watching streaming videos and burning media is quick and easy. Windows 7 is a fantastic upgrade from Vista, but it does take some getting used to. I use XP at work, so I'm still teaching myself the ins and outs of 7. I don't game on the PC, but this probably has ample ability to play most online games. You made need to upgrade the graphics card if you are a serious PC gamer, but for my needs (general office work, streaming Netflix and burning music/DVD's) it's perfect. Speaking of streaming video....

The HDMI output is great. Makes it super simple to connect to an HDTV and use the laptop as a media hub. I've had great success in watching Neflix and iTunes videos thru the laptop onto a 42" Panasonic Plasma with little degrading. Just pop in the HDMI cable, select the audio output and that's it.

The layout of the laptop takes some getting used to. There are no seperate audio controls, which isn't that big of a deal, but some people like to adjust the volume without having to hit CTRL F11 or accessing the control panel. The touch pad being flush with the rest of the frame is really weird but I must say very cool. I've never seen anything like it before - I was def thrown off by it at first. Really my only complaint is with the stiffness of the mouse keys. The right and left click is a bit of a pressure sensitive issue and is sometimes hard to locate if you aren't looking directly at the keyboard.

So far so good with this little powerhouse. Hopefully it continues to impress!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

HP G62-140US 15.6-Inch Laptop (Bronze)
Used & New from: $325.00