4.0 out of 5 stars Great budget laptop
I'm really pleased with the purchase of this laptop. One thing to realize is that it's not the fastest or thinnest/lightest laptop out there. It's pretty much a standard laptop, with modest specs, but it does all many of the functions that a basic computer user out there is looking for.

Pros:
Nice keyboard - chicklet style, easy to type on
Touchpad...
Published on October 21, 2010 by xeno

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful Product, Do not buy!!
Published on November 26, 2010 by Brent Andrews

4.0 out of 5 stars Great budget laptop, October 21, 2010
This review is from: HP G62-340us 15.6-Inch Laptop PC - Up to 4 Hours of Battery Life (Charcoal) (Personal Computers)

Pros:
Nice keyboard - chicklet style, easy to type on
Touchpad response is smooth and easy to use (note: see con on touchpad below)
Good screen clarity
Speedy enough for most tasks (internet, word processing)
Wireless connection was strong, fast
Fan is quiet and unobtrusive
Doesn't get very hot when on your lap

Cons:
Case design very basic (rubberized?) and not all that attractive
Touchpad button is stiff - Hard to push
Too much HP software installed - Some of this will appeal to the novice user who may like all the toolbars, picture managers, dvd players, and software update programs installed.

At first it seemed as if the screen was a bit blurry, but then I realized it was the opening HP setup window that looked bad. It's not designed for the optimal screen resolution of the LCD panel. I don't know why HP doesn't fix this, as it's the 2nd time that I've noticed this on HP laptops. The screen looks nice in Windows 7.

I'll try and update this review a bit more once I have more time with the laptop, including battery life.

Overall, a nice machine in this price range. You can find similar specs across the board with the different manufactures of laptops, but this would be a quality choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars good laptop for the price, October 24, 2010
You need to understand where I'm coming from - my most recent computer was running a Pentium 4 with 512MB of RAM and an 80GB hard drive. That being said this computer is a significant step up, and I think it's great. I think it's also important to know what I'm using this computer for....I work in a hospital and use this to log on to the hospital system, use Microsoft Office, and surf the internet. For these applications this computer is perfect. I've had it for about 1 month and have had no issues. It does come loaded with a bunch of HP software which can be uninstalled so that's not a problem.

The battery is listed as 4 hrs...it probably doesn't last that long - I haven't officially timed the battery life but it's probably closer to 3 hrs. The case is plastic, the cold startup time is fast <30 sec, the wake from hibernate time is close to 3 seconds, the display is clear; the keyboard is easy to type on. The only thing that took me some time to get used to is the touchpad as it does not have any defined boundaries and the buttons are a little stiff. I seemed to have gotten use to both and for me they are minor issues.

I think the computer is ideal for any student or person who has similar tasks to the mine (listed above - probably the vast majority of people). I'm not a gamer and don't intend on using this for playing high intensity video games or doing a lot of photo/video/music editing. This computer is probably not suited for that type of work.

Overall I'm very happy with the product. I think for the money (paid $420 pretax) its hard to beat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Laptop for its price range, November 22, 2010
First of all this is a very good laptop for the price. Second if you buy it at the Amazon price during a holiday season you have been robbed. I bought it at Staples for $424 after rebate and the 100 dollars they knocked off when I traded in my old laptop. This was my first time using windows 7 and it works like a dream on this laptop. While not a gaming computer it is fast enough for some of the simpler online MPGs. I actually got dizzy with how well it kept up with game graphics. My only issue is I wish I could get a 500 Gb hardrive but you can always buy one later at a reasonable price. It is also a great workhorse laptop. I do freelance writing and this computer is a pleasure to work on and helps me find and organize files easily. The mouse pad is iffy and I wish they kept the left and right click mousepad buttons separate. Otherwise was one purchase I am very satisfied with. Further tip if you are a college student wanting to get the most out of windows software you should order college edition of Microsoft Office 2010 it will give you all the office software for professional at a home edition price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great budget laptop, December 2, 2010
Bought this as replacement for my Dell Inspiron 600m. Loved that one but it start falling apart so traded it in for new G62.
Pros: Very good price/value ratio. Bright screen, decent keyboard. Pretty fast for regular tasks (office/web)
Web cam, card reader, HDMI.

Cons: Touch pad could be better, it is a bit stiff especially buttons. (But I am using mostly regular mouse with it anyway). Screen is to glossy in my opinion. And resolution is not very high (standard for this price range ).

Edit: Another con: A lot of "crapware" to remove from the start, no option to recover clean OS.

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful Product, Do not buy!!, November 26, 2010
Brent Andrews (Marabella, N/A Trinidad) - See all my reviews
EDIT: 28/8/2013 This laptop was purchased over 2 years ago and within the first 6 months the battery stopped charging and then the display would be intermittent. Now there's no display although the laptop is powered on and the caps lock would continuously blink (which the HP forums say this could be a motherboard issue). This was laptop that was hardly used (about twice a week for class assignments) and well taken care of (The exterior looks brand new and the vents are clean). This is the 3rd HP laptop that failed, the 1st was sold for spare parts, the 2nd I had to replace the motherboard since I couldn't afford a new laptop (which still run INSANELY HOT) now this, which officially marks the end of my relationship with any HP product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing unit for the price, December 30, 2010
Bought mine from Office Depot. Cleaned all the HP crap off and tuned things up a bit (removed aero effects and optimized for performance). Here are the Exerience index scores compared to my custom I7 overclocked/nVidia GT4600 graphics/6GB memory/4 Velociraptor in RAID 10:
ITEM CUSTOM G62
processor 7.5 5.3
memory 7.6 5.5
graphics 6.8 4.1
gaming grap. 6.8 5.2
primary HD 6.3 5.9
Pretty great for a bottom end machine! Very good screen with ample brightness. Only negative is the stiff touchpad keys but one can work around that with the Synaptics settings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome Computer, November 26, 2010
I love this Computer the only thing I wish the battery lasted longer. It's works fast the keys are smooth. So far I'm digging windows 7.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good spec for the price, not so good Screen and Touch pad, November 18, 2010
Main use (for my wife): surf, watch movie online, audio/video chat, view photos/video from camera/camcorder.
Got from Fry's on 11/5/10 when it's on sale for $429 + $40 Tax + $16 Environment Fee - $50 Mail-in Rebate.

Pros: good spec for the price with built-in webcam and stereo speaker.
Cons:

1. Screen is bright, but color is washed out, photos from my Canon T1i look like those from cheap point&shoot camera.
(To be fair, the color is still better than Lenovo and MSI in same price range, but worse than Acer and Dell)

2. Maybe just my unit, but touch pad is not always responsive. Also it doesn't have a visible boundary so that I often moved my finger out of effective area accidentally, it also take me a while to find the exact area for scroll. Left/Right buttons below the touch pad are hard to press.

Returned to Fry's and ordered Acer AS5742Z-4685 on Amazon instead when it's on sale on 11/9.

2.0 out of 5 stars [updated] Fine Budget Laptop - 3.5 year update, January 24, 2011
This laptop does exactly what it should do. To compare, during the 2010 xmas season this computer was selling in the 350-400 range, something to keep in mind. This HP is an absolute-budget model, and the dual core AMD CPU, 3GB RAM, and large HDD makes it a fabulous value. I'm going to only highlight the negatives, because overall this laptop is great for day to day use:

-Yes, the mouse button is terrible. You can get by it by setting the "mouse" up to accept a tap as a click. You can also use a bluetooth or wired mouse. Also, sometimes the mouse pad doesn't catch your finger movements, this is rare but it happens. The multitouch is a nice feature.

-The biggest negative is the screen. There's no way you can expect a high quality display at this price point. Next to my macbook, this display is lacking (the apple also cost 4 times as much). The range and depth of colors isn't anywhere near what a higher quality display produces. Also, the viewing angle is narrow - i.e. if you and a friend are looking at the screen, both of you will see a fade at the outer parts of the screen.

I'm into digital photography. If you are too, I would definitely spend an extra $200+ on a machine with a better display. Don't get me wrong - this display is fine for Internet, watching DVDs, TV, and the occasional game, but you get what you pay for.

UPDATE. It's 3 3/4 years later and the laptop's video card died. I'll leave my previous review intact, but i'm extremely unpleased by this turn of events. It's a shame because performancewise, the laptop still feels fine, never had to reinstall windows, and has otherwise performed well. This computer only gets home use too - very little rough treatment. Had someone told me that the computer wouldn't make it to 4 years, I NEVER would have purchased it. I'm done with HP laptops.

2.0 out of 5 stars I really wish I'd shopped around more, March 14, 2011
I work at Staples, so it made sense to me that I would purchase my laptop there. Unfortunately, the person's advice I took about buying this particular laptop was, as I found out later, not the advice I should have taken. My first laptop was an Acer and it seemed to last forever. I bought it before going abroad to teach for a year, and it was still in great condition when I returned. It continued to perform awesomely two years later until I accidently dropped it. This HP however, is very disappointing by comparison. The first week I bought the computer, I would plug it up to charge and would get a "not charging" response. This has continued, and despite phone calls to HP about the problem, the problem has not been resolved. The only assistance I am offered by HP customer service is someone a million miles across the ocean who sounds like they are talking through a tunnel who keeps me on the phone for an hour performing diagnostic tests and update downloads. Perhaps I just bought a "bad egg," but after speaking with one of my co-workers who is Staples Easy Tech Associate, it's very possible that it's all computers in the "G" series. He made it quite clear that HP has stopped producing good quality products overall. How very disappointing since I'm stuck with this computer, and until now I've had a fairly high opinion of HP. If you do purchase this computer, be aware of the potential problems.

ARRAY(0xa52d3e7c)