Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on June 16, 2012
Purchased the HP 1261NR on sale at Office Depot for $438 w/tax. Excellent deal. The bright screen display and size for the price is amazing! The webcam is crystal clear and makes me look good, which is important (right?). The sleek grey shell design is durable, good looking and easy to transport. At 6 lbs. someone did their design homework because it's extremely nice to carry. The laptop stays cool to the touch while in use. Loud Altec speakers in the front provide quality sound. I'm impressed with the design team at HP. Good job people.

In my opinion, if you get this laptop for under $600 w/tax, pat yourself on the back. 500 gig hd and 6 gigs of memory is sufficient for most users. Personally, I enjoy the SD slot, makes the transfer of files a breeze. Pop the SD card into the slot and bam! there's instant access to media. Awesome. BTW, Windows 7 is easy to use and is pretty much the same as XP (don't stress you'll laugh; 7 is very easy to use). Love that the laptop looks expensive but not super expensive. Perfectly "blending" (not too expensive, not too cheap) laptop for any pc environment.

The blue ray dvd player is great (little loud when playing) but for the price, noise is expected. The springboard to the keyboard is a little sticky. This too is something that is to be expected with price. Simple solution and cool; upgrade to the Microsoft wireless keyboard I reviewed. Touche.

Grab that $500 you've saved since reading my review on dumping AT&T. (Yes, I bought this lappy with the $ I saved dumping them). Be patient and search for this on sale. Order. Enjoy your new laptop which didn't empty your wallet.

Update: Used for over a month and still love this laptop. Connected a really old printer and the laptop downloaded the driver before I knew it! One of the best purchases I've made this year and worth the money.
33 comments|34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 14, 2012
Bought two of these for Graduation gifts for my kids. I was threatening to take one of these for my own. Super fast, huge bright screen, and a built in Blue ray. You really can't go wrong.
on November 24, 2012
I bought this laptop at the beginning of July (2012). It is now almost the beginning of December (2012)and after 5 months of using this laptop almost 5 months I now feel that I can review it fairly. I read one of the reviews stated that you could not control contrast, but 2 keys and 3 keys from the escape button on the top left is a small beam and a large beam icon on each which changes the look of the display and perhaps the reviewer just needed to adjust the display. Other reviewers wrote about the battery life.I usually have mine plugged in because I have a terrific laptop table that I keep by my chair and once in a while I unplug to let the battery drain down. I AM really glad I waited to write my review, because I live in New Jersey and we lost our power for 2 full weeks and didn't have a whole lot of gas in the car, so we pretty much stayed home. Since we do have a Starbucks (internet hotspot) about a mile away,I was able to spend some time on the computer and fully charge the battery. On the other days I could go and play some already downloaded games (without electric, our home internet router would not work)in between reading my Kindles. Over the course of two weeks I did this several times. I believe that the battery lasted close to 3 hours, which is reasonable for this size laptop (17.3"). I do not feel that this unit is "delicate" (translation:cheap feeling) as one reviewer thought. I have an HP All-in-One wireless printer system. This laptop set it up automatically ready to use. I didn't have to do anything. I make my own greeting cards it works great with that program. I like to play games and they play without any glitches. The display is clear and bright, I've never had to adjust it. In all, it is a good computer especially for the price (although I DID pay quite a bit less for mine at the time through Amazon!). The 500GB hard drive is good (up from the 350 GB on my old laptop) and I also have an external hard drive to store pictures. I would recommend this to most average laptop users.
on March 2, 2013
Right out of the box, the left mouse button was broken. It sticks easily and the spring is either worn out or completely ruined. It barely clicks. Compared to the right click, using the mouse is such a struggle I'd rather use the touch pad to click...

Secondly, the display driver fails catastrophically every 2 minutes or so. I have tried for months now with updating my windows updates and making sure the drivers are current and asking online how to stop this from happening with no solution in sight.

If I could, which I don't think I can now that I've owned the laptop for a few months now, I would return it and do it all again and buy a mac or a different brand. This laptop is terrible and I'm sad that a refurbished product passed inspection in this horrible condition which says how much the seller really looks into a laptop before selling it.
on July 21, 2012
This product is ok, not great! The webcam is crystal clear, the keys are easy to use, the screen is awesome and the appearance is great. However, the touch pad is somewhat stubborn at times. I have only been using this for three days and i am second guessing my purchase. The battery last for 1hour and that sucks, its like its an old battery. The computer also feels very delicate and as such, you have to treat it like an egg. Its a good computer but i think without good battery life and reliable touch pad, its just half way there.
on December 21, 2012
Because of my lack of education about Windows 8, I returned it for this model which is Windows 7, and have no regrets!
Love the keyboard alone!
It's very easy to set up (I did it in no time), great resolution, great speed and a nice clean look, and light to carry around.
Upon receiving this model, the necessary programs and anti-virus was already installed, along with other fun and convenient games and programs.

I would definitely purchase the same model if need for family or a gift.
very impressed!
on January 24, 2013
I researched many laptops to find the one that would meet my needs (day to day internet use, youtube video watching and netflix use, nothing big nothing more) and I came accross this one. I bought this laptop brand new and it ran very slow. At first, I thought it just needed to warm up, but it is still very slow and often times freezes, this is the second HP laptop I've bought but the first to be unsatisfactory. Thumbs down!
on December 14, 2014
Still using this Laptop almost 2 and a half years later - great to have a modestly priced unit that has a Blu-Ray player. Great unit for the price. Cracked the screen 11 months ago and paid the $150 to have the screen replaced rather than buy a new machine. I know I will have to get a new one sooner or later, but this is easily the laptop I have liked most and found most useful - and I have had laptops since the dark ages (remember B&W non-backlit LCD MS-DOS machines) and this is my 5th (or 6th) Colour LCD WIndows based laptop since the late 1990s.
on December 18, 2014
It is slow as a snail, all the preloaded programs are only invite to buy software. and the keyboards is so touchy that you can barely breath or it jumps to another program. Only pluses are it is light and the audio is good.
on April 4, 2015
HP has little commitment to Quality or Customer satisfaction, Many of the G6 and now the G7 series have problems with the video chip, it runs too hot, overheats, and then you have no video. It cost $109 dollars for a replacement motherboard with the same bad design that won't last. They know it but apparently do not care or they would perform a recall. People shop for the lowest price therefore vendors cut quality everywhere they can to save a buck.