Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Price:$650.00+ $18.99 shipping

on December 6, 2011
This is just a post to document the results of my troubleshooting with HP Support to determine the problem of not being able to auto print two-sided (duplex) pages on a HP P2055D, in the hope that it will be useful to others with the same problem. I hadn't seen anything else in my search of the 'Net that was specific enough to help me find the solution.

The solution: First, the obvious: Connect the printer to the Mac via USB, etc., as per manual's instructions. Install the most up-to-date drivers from Apple for this printer. HP will direct you to do the same, as they don't host the print drivers (for Mac, anyway) on their support Web site. Reboot the Mac and printer. From System Preferences, select the facility for managing printers, and add (if the P2055D isn't already in the list of available printers or print devices) the P2055D

Second, the not-so-obvious: Select File-->Print... from the application (e.g., Adobe Acrobat). A dialog will appear. Near the top, there is a pull down list to allow the selection of the printer to send the print job. If the P2055D isn't set as the default printer (done in the System Preferences-->Printers setup dialog), use the pull-down menu to select it. TO THE RIGHT OF THIS SAME PULL-DOWN MENU IS A BUTTON CONTAINING A DOWN-ARROW. There is no text next to this little button to indict its function. In any case, press this button, and the dialog will expand to provide many print options. Within this expanded dialog is a pull down menu containing an item named "layout." When selected, this will provide you with the means to select two-sided printing. Also, when doing this also select "long binding." Not sure about the "long and short" of this option--I was just directed to do so by the HP support tech.

After this is done, and two-sided printing is tested and operational, you can save this particular "layout" option in a preset. This is done from the same dialog using the Preset pull-down menu, and selecting Save As...

Hope this is helpful to those who missed the obscure little button that expands the print dialog box to expose layout options, after selecting to File-->Print..., or who were otherwise at a loss of how to navigate the menus and buttons to establish this setting.

Aside from the weak documentation on HP's and Apple's part to publish this information (there are lots of Mac users who seem unable to find this information on either company's support sites), and the need to deal with the labyrinth of HP's phone-based tech support, the first day of the printer's performance use has been excellent. A very nice, straight-forward, monochrome laser printer.
on January 2, 2012
I bought this HP Laserjet P2055d Printer when it was on sale for about 200. I've been using it for over 6 months now and have had no problems with it. Set up on both Windows and Mac were both easy and straightforward. I do a lot of printing so being able to automatically print on both sides of the paper really fast was an important feature for me, and this printer has not disappointed.
on January 17, 2014
its work great, but after some time, its start bleeding ink and or making a very thin lines in the middle of the page.
i called HP and they said to change the ink which i did, and after some time it come back again.
on July 5, 2011
Do not let the plastic feel of this printer fool you! It is a powerful office workhorse that is fast and reliable. I have had three main printers over the last twenty years all HP all outlived and out preformed my expectations. This one appears to be just as good as its predecessors.
on September 28, 2011
I have had this printer for two years now and it never gave me problems. Installation on my iMac was a matter of seconds, easy! The printer is fast and reliable. Only black and white, which is what I need. No fax (I refuse to use fax any more) and no copying machine, and I also have a separate scanner. So for a straightforward laser B&W this is it! I am happy to see that HP still has it on offer after two years, sometimes these items get replaced fast. It is a testimony to its success! I think it will stay several more years on my desktop!
on December 11, 2013
The company did contact me about the fact that my printer was missing a cord and offered to send both a cord and a USB cable to me free. I didn't take them up on it because I had already purchased the missing item separately but it was a nice gesture.
on May 14, 2012
I purchased this from Amazon through one of their affiliated suppliers. When I tried to install it I got, from the installation disk, an error message concerning a system administrator. This was being installed on a new Dell computer running Windows 7. I tried the fixes suggested on the installation page and none worked. I then went to the HP service page and got connected to a tech in India. He took control of the computer and try to install it. Nothing worked. You would think, since Windows 7 has been out for several years, HP would have an installation disk that actually installs the product. What good is it if you can't install it? Now I am trying to return the product. I might need to have my credit card issuer block the payment if I don't hear from Aamazon.
on July 18, 2011
we have been using the hp laser jet p2055d printer for a couple of weeks, and find it works very well.
the print is clear and easily legible. operation is not complicated and so far we are very satisfied.
could use a short sheet of set-up and use instructions.
on February 10, 2013
I ordered the wrong printer by accident. I really wanted to order a P2055dn. I am a very busy person and unfortunetely did not get around installing it untill 29 days after receiving it. I had barely unpacked it when I noticed that it did not have ethernet port. I contacted the seller, Ispecial, to find out if this can be networked. By the time they told me no, it was day 31st. They will not let me return it becuase I was ONE DAY over the return period! Amazon customer service is not doing much about it either.
Now I am stuck with a $600 printer that I can not use at my office.
on December 19, 2011
I have this model printer on half of my staff's desks. We use it all day long every day, and it does a great job. Low cost, reliable, easy to use but full featured. Love it!

See 1 answered question