Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on December 1, 2012
Never saw anything like it, cold start to printing in about 5 seconds and almost instantaneously afterwards. I also bought the add on media tray and absolutely no problems with the driver interface, hardware connection, etc. in controlling the add on. Even with different sizes of paper the auto paper selection works very well going between manual, first tray (legal or envelope) and letter in the media tray. Well design and a seeming solid printer (only drop the qualifierafter a couple of years of work). The text is clear and solid even under magnification. I would highly recommend.
on May 23, 2013
I have a very simple office environment and have used HP laserjet printers, or equivalent, for over 25 years. When this new printer arrived, the installation was pretty straightforward. THEN, I was asked whether I wanted a Basic setup, or the HIGHLY RECOMMENDED setup that would give me higher levels of functionality, etc., that required the accompanying disc to be inserted and installed. I thought that I should stick to Basic but for some reason opted for the HIGHLY RECOMMENDED setup.
BIG MISTAKE!!!!!
Unless you are using the .NET MicroSoft services, STAY AWAY from their HIGHLY RECOMMENDED setup option.
After a few hours of swearing at MicroSoft and all things Windows, I managed to uninstall the HIGHLY RECOMMENDED program and went back to square one and installed the BASIC option.
Nice printer, just be careful on installation and setup!!
99 comments|94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 6, 2013
Having previously owned an HP LaserJet 4 I had high expectations from this printer and it did not disappoint. Using it primarily to print hundreds of pages of tax return documents, it has done its job as expected. It is extremely fast and the print quality is superb. I would strongly recommend to anyone who requires a high quality, medium cost B&W printer.
11 comment|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 11, 2013
My ancient Laserjet 1200 finally died, and it should have been replaced long ago, it was so slow, like pdfs would take several minutes a page, but it had given me such good service and had such good print quality for MS Word documents, the bulk of our printing needs, I couldn't let go. I got this printer because it got solid reviews, I didn't need anything fancy, and I'm used to HP printers both at home and at work. I set up the printer on a weekend. My first mistake because if there's problems--and I had them--the online chat people, at least according to the one I chatted with, are only trained for Windows and you need to call the tech number for Mac. However, when you call the tech people and go through the voice menu, you're told that a laser printer is a business machine, so you can only call during business hours. I was making a master for a reader for a class I'm teaching, and I needed to print stuff over the weekend, so I had to figure things out on my own. Warning number one: don't try setting it up during non-business hours unless you know what you're doing.

When I opened the box, I was shocked by the lack of instruction and documentation. There is a user manual that you can download from the HP site, but I didn't find any reference to that in the documentation that came with the printer. Maybe it's there, but it wasn't findable by me. What it did say is that if you have a Mac you need to download the drivers from the HP site. I found that easily, but after I downloaded the drivers, my computer said they were unreadable. Without the drivers, the LaserJet prints, but you cannot adjust the print quality and I needed to get better print quality than the non-driver version. After endless searching online, I read something about how if you're having a problem with driver downloads being corrupt, to try a different browser. I'd been using Firefox, so I opened Safari and again attempted the download and it worked like a charm. So, warning number two: don't try downloading the drivers with Firefox.

Once I got the drivers installed, I still couldn't adjust print quality, so I spent a lot of time playing around with dialogue boxes and doing internet searches. I noticed in one dialogue box Airprint was chosen, so I looked up what Airprint was, and that's (for those of you, like me, who automatically don't know what this is) the Mac OS's method of printing to machines without installing a driver. So, I went back to whatever dialogue box that was, and used the pulldown menu and chose the printer instead of Airprint. Warning number three: after you've installed the drivers, make sure it still doesn't default to Airprint.

The printer is lightning fast and it prints graphics wonderfully. The economode produces text that looks horrible. After much more searching, I found that for text you only need 600 dpi, like the eye can't tell the difference between 600 and 1200 dpi, so to save toner go with 600 dpi rather than 1200. I've made that the default, as we rarely print graphics.

The user manual is sorely lacking in so many ways, but it's better than nothing. For instance, there's no actual instructions for how to do manual printing. It just assumes the user can figure this out on their own. This morning I was brave enough to tackle envelopes, and it took trial and error and like 4 messed up envelopes until I could figure it out. It would print the envelope at my default setting, but the return address would be all smeared, so I went into a dialogue box and chose envelope as the input material, and then it printed it fine. Warning number four: if you're printing envelopes, you have to choose envelopes as the paper stock. I've not had to do this before with other printers. I made a preset for envelopes, which will make things easy in the future.

Now that it's set up I love this printer, though I do wish the blacks were a bit blacker on text, mostly because being a teacher I frequently photocopy print outs, and I want as sharp a master as possible. But for most uses the quality is fine. It spits out text in a flash, even memory-intensive pdfs. Since it has HP printed on the side, I've named it "Hippie," and I give it a hug every now and then, and we seem to be bonding well.
22 comments|71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2014
Our school purchased 30 of the HP M401n printers, and for the first year and a half they worked fine. Then they all began to fail with an error "Jam In Cartridge Area," although there was no jam. We contacted HP, but since the warranty was only good for a year, they said, "sorry about your luck" and blew us off.

A failure or two is to be expected when you are using equipment in a high volume place such as a school, but the failure of every unit within two years is unprecedented. To add insult to injury, when we brought in a printer repair company to see if they could fix the issue, they said they could because they had an internal HP bulletin on our very issue and how to repair the problem.

Avoid this this thing. HP sure isn't going to help you when your printer inevitably fails soon after the warranty expires.
33 comments|36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2012
Previously, we had a color Samsung laser printer which was slow and used up cartridges fast. It also tended to jam a lot. After lots of swearing, we replaced it this year with the HP 401n and have been very satisfied. The HP is very quick, though a little noisy. The quality of the printing is great. I do not regret the purchase and would do it again if I have to.
on April 24, 2013
Pros:

1. Fast cold start. From pressing "print" to the first page exiting the printer is about 15 seconds, if it hasn't been used in 24 hours. If it has been used 2 hours ago, it is even faster. If it has been used just a few minutes ago, it takes less than 5 seconds.

2. iPhone compatible right out of the box. This is because the printer supports AirPrint. Just plug the printer into Ethernet and then click "print" on your iPhone while using the same network, and this HP shows up in the list of printers. Other printers need to be plugged into a computer (like a MacBook Pro or Windows desktop), and the computer needs to be on, or else the iPhone can't see the printer. HP helped to invent AirPrint so it is no surprise it works especially well.

3. PostScript-compatible. My company uses a piece of software that outputs raw PostScript and does not use printer drivers, and this printer works. Many newer printers don't.

Cons:

4. The display stays lit up for hours after printing. This doesn't bother me, but it is not right.

5. When you print 2 or more pages, it will sometimes insert blank pages. These are not stuck to other sheets, they are spit out separately. This only bothers me a little bit, so I am taking off a star.
on June 5, 2013
Installation was effortless. I connected it to my router via ethernet and used the CD that shipped with the printer to install the driver on a network consisting of two Windows 7 and one XP computer. My IPAD found the printer with no trouble and prints successfully.

The documentation shipped with the printer is a bit skimpy -- I had to search online to figure out how to put it in quiet mode using the LED panel (54dB when printing). There is a "face up" output tray (the flap in the back), which is the only way to print on heavy card stock without curling or smearing, but you wouldn't know it from the documentation or vendors' descriptions.

This printer replaces an HPLJ 2100M which is still going strong but is not networkable and doesn't play well with iThings.

-ggw
This is a great printer! I gave it to my son when I realized that I had forgotten to check the Memory Specifications. I needed to print some extremely memory-heavy documents, so I bought the 401DW for me (256 MB memory) and gave this one, the M401n (128 MB memory) to my son. We couldn't be happier with our laser printers. They are so much better than the ones we had, which were working fine for most purposes. Technology is so much better now that we just had to upgrade.
on May 5, 2013
Had this about 30 days. Had some difficulty getting it online, the installer program was corrupted and wouldn't download drivers from the CD or from the HP support website. Spent way too much time uninstalling and reinstalling. Should have called support right away, when I did support handed me off to an engineer who had me up and running in about 15 minutes. It replaces an old HP LaserJet 1000 series which just fell apart after working flawlessly for over 10 years. This 400 sometimes hesitates for 4 or 5 seconds after sending it a print command from my PC then it prints - very fast and very food quality letters for me just like the 1000 did. One month in so far so good.