5.0 out of 5 stars Great Color Laser for the Money!
The HP Color LaserJet 3600n is a good buy for the money. You get laser color, speed (17 ppm), networking. 2 trays all in one machine.

If you want great color, don't buy a laser machine, get an inkjet instead. But if you want good color documents printed in a speedy manner for less cost than an inkjet, buy this printer.

One of the real benefits of...
Published on July 31, 2006 by Irv Haas

1.0 out of 5 stars Think Twice About Host Based Printers
Published on July 15, 2008 by Charles D. Mckinney

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Color Laser for the Money!, July 31, 2006
This review is from: HP Color LaserJet 3600n Printer ( Q5987A#ABA ) (Office Product)

One of the real benefits of this printer is that it comes with 4 FULL toner cartridges which would normally cost over $500 for the cartidges alone! The toner cartridges are all exposed when you open the cover, making installation very simple. Jams are extremely easy to remove when you have such wide access.

By buying this printer, you are getting a lot of bang for your buck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Rid of your InkJet, March 7, 2007
Pros:
- Prints fast from sleep in both Black & White and Color.
- Great print quality for a laser printer
- Cheap price per page (According to the Toms Hardware artical: "Color Laser Printers: Fast and Affordable!")
- Printing price-per-page: 1 cent B&W, 8 cents Color
- Networked enabled versions (3600n & 3600dn) have an extensive web based configuration menu. (I'm not sure if you can access it via the USB connection)

Cons:
- Packaged drivers do not work under Windows XP x64

Other Thoughts:
-To get the proper drivers installed into Windows XP x64 you need to download them from hp's webiste. If you are installing it over a network you need to add the printer via Windows Control Panel and specify "local printer attached to this computer" then create a new "Standard TCP/IP port" and then specify the printers IP addy.
- I'm glad to be free from expensive ink cartridges. If i need photo quality prints I'll send my pics to Costco over the internet, which is much cheaper than the cost of an ink jet print.

1.0 out of 5 stars Think Twice About Host Based Printers, July 15, 2008
I bought this HP3600n printer as an upgrade for my worn-out HP2500. I immediately experienced a drastic drop in printing speed. The print language is HP JetReady 4.2, which is a host-based language. HP seems to have removed the processing power to reduce costs on these low-end printers and placed the burden on the users computer. I am running OSX 10.4.11 on a G4 PPC tower and printing to this printer is unacceptable. It takes 1 hours to print a 24-page document from InDesign and 9 minutes to print a 1 page Illustrator doc that contains only text. Also you surrender the computer while this processing takes place. It is like not having a print spooler function.

You also have to put up with the very light and contrasty color from the new toners. This can be tweaked out by cranking every color control from the panel ( plus two for all colors and all shades.) I suspect that the amount of toner used per page will correspondingly go up resulting in high consumable costs.

It was mistake on my part in buying this printer. The correct choice for a unit with comparable duty cycle and features but with a processor is the CP3505. Compare and contrast the two printers at HP web site and you will see that a lot of features are obtained for a small increase in price.

Thank goodness that my supplier allowed me to return this printer.

Think long and hard before buying any model HP laser printer with host based processing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Office Use, May 25, 2007
This is the 5th 3600n that our company has purchased. We have yet to have any problems with these machines and the printing quality is great for presentation packets and various other office printing applications. I would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars HP Color printer works well, March 9, 2007
The HP Color LaserJet 3600n Printer was easy to set up and works well with our Macs. The print quality is good. The real test will be how well it works after 10-50 thousand pages, and that will take time.

1.0 out of 5 stars HP Color Laserjet 3600n Printer, October 30, 2008
I cannot recommend this product as I have had to replace the electrostatic transfer mechanism on this printer 2 times due to mechanical failures. Each lasting an average of only 7 months with minimal use. I have been using HP printing technology for 12 years and have had 5 HP printers 2 of them utilizing color laser technology, models 3600n and color laser 1518ni. HP's Color Laser technology group has been a let down. On a positive note my black and white laser printers are working very well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Need to reset Factory Setting to save on expensive cartridges., July 18, 2011
This is the second one in our office. Employee with the first one would toss out the cartridges when the printer would stop operating with the "Replace Cartridge" message even though the copies looked great.

After I got mine, I realized that you could override the number of copies before a new cartridge is needed. We kept upping the number (factory setting was 5000 -- we are now at 15,000!). Sure saves money as the replacements are $115-150 each.

1.0 out of 5 stars HP is getting Weaker as a printer option, July 21, 2009
Francis Kovscek "Frank" (New Eagle, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I have owned HP printers since I started using Laser Printers. I thought the 2600N was Fair to Good, I wore two out. So when I could not get another 2600, the sales associate showed me the "upgraded" model - the 3600n; "More toner per cartridge, etc". HP has sent a service representative twice and I have spent over 7 hours on the phone and online with the printer down and I really don't have a mixed platform system (4 XP machines and a Vista - which has yet to be able to print to the printer). What's worse is with the downturn in the economy I cannot afford to replace it and it is less than a year old. It is very irritating that a company does not see the importance of customer support. I have 3 HP computers and 2 Dells and I think I am going to switch away from HP after 10 years of using HP products, the last 2 years have dissuaded me from using HP in the future.
Very upset and very stuck with a ˝ hearted printer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Printer died after 1.5 years of infrequent use, May 19, 2009
R. Chi (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I've been fairly happy with the printer until it just died on me a few days ago. Still have about 90% toners left on all of them. And of course it's out of warranty.

Ever since I got it I noticed a faint squeaking electronic noise from the printer when it is idling. I didn't think much of it but now I think it's an indication that the power supply unit is on its way out.

According to HP, what's broken is the Low Voltage Power Supply. HP won't sell it to me because it's not a user serviceable part. Sending someone out would cost me close to $900 just for labor. This is ridiculous. Trying to see what other prints would work with my toner, nothing besides the 3600/3800.

Avoid this product at all cost! I got it because I like the high capacity toner cartridge. But obviously this made-in-China unit is not that reliable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Have owned 2 and do not recommend, March 20, 2008
HP has a good reputation. I always buy HP products (computers, etc.) I bought this printer late 2006. It worked great until I changed the first yellow toner cartridge. I've not had proper color since. Then I changed the Magenta cartridge - now its even worse! Took it in for repairs (HP est. $479 when I can buy new locally for $499). Anyway, didn't go thru HP for the repair, went local. He says I need a new Transfer Belt at a cost of $229... but... he can't seem to find the right part number to order one! He's still working on it. Also, this may NOT be the problem - he says it's his least expensive fix! So, this leads me to buying the 2nd one. Since I bought all new toner cartridges (at a cost of $119 each) and we were in NEED of replacing the printer - we bought a second one! It works great NOW!!! Let's see what happens when I change out the first toner! Sorry, HP, you're messing up your reputation!

ARRAY(0xaeb56fe4)

HP Color LaserJet 3600n Printer ( Q5987A#ABA )
Used & New from: $229.99