5.0 out of 5 stars A really great printer for home or office!
I recently talked my employer into purchasing this printer for me to replace a very old, very slow HP LaserJet that was seemingly first made when dinosaurs roamed the earth (circa 2005 AD). I used the online ratings to choose it, and I'm so glad I did!

Published on May 18, 2012 by SeaGoddess2403

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, but quirky
I bought this as a replacement for the office when our old b/w HP 2300 finally gave in after almost 9 years of service. In my opinion, HP makes good quality, solid laser printers, but their software leaves a lot to be desired, being cumbersome, slow, bloated and buggy.

Published 20 months ago by T. Dokland

5.0 out of 5 stars A really great printer for home or office!, May 18, 2012
This review is from: HP 400 M451nw LaserJet Pro 400 Color Printer (CE956A) (Office Product)

So far, it has been great. It is very fast; the first sheet prints out in less than 10 seconds. The color is beautiful... photos print out rich and life-like. There is a setting to lessen paper curl, which was a real problem with my old printer. It easily handles manual feeds for labels, envelopes and the like (load face up and top forward). And, best of all, it features automatic two-sided duplexing (important for printing double sided newsletters or other marketing materials). In summary, it's everything I wanted in my new printer!

That being said, there is one thing to note, however... it was a complete BEAR to install. Initially, I called my IT company to install the driver from the website (yes, there was a disc provided, but I didn't want the inevitable accompanying bloatware). First of all, the printer was not a plug and play; it didn't really detect the printer as a device when plugged in, but rather showed up as a program. That aside, everytime the IT tech went to install it from the downloaded driver, right at 99%, the printer failed to install and the computer (also an HP) needed to be restarted. He tried this 3 seperate times, and each cycle took about 35-40 minutes. When he was unable to install it that way, he had me try inserting the disc. That did not work either - another fatal error, another re-start. So my IT technician was forced to call HP Tech Support for assitance. The first thing asked by HP was if my USB cord was longer than 6 feet (it wasn't). They said that cables longer than 6' long could cause install issues (? not sure how). Since that wasn't the case, we were then told that there were known issues with setting this printer up using the default SmartInstall feature and it had to be manually disabled from the printer itself. HP gave me the step by step directions to disable it via the printer's menu and sure enough, it then quickly installed.

To anyone who is having trouble installing this printer, try going through the menu to disable SmartInstall. That should solve any problems you have.

Aside from the 4 hour install problem, I really do love my new printer and recommend it readily.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, but quirky, February 13, 2013
T. Dokland (Birmingham, AL) - See all my reviews

Indeed, this printer delivers excellent quality prints in both b/w and color. Prints are razor-sharp and colors are vibrant. I was a bit concerned about the stated 600 dpi resolution, since our old printer and the more expensive 500-series models, reportedly have 1200 dpi resolution, but that does not seem to make any difference at all. (It might make a difference for photo printing, but we don't do much of that.) While toner cartridges are expensive, they do last quite long (though not as long as the huge cartridge on the old HP 2300), and it's definitely cheaper than inkjet.

However, there are some quirks. We use the printer hooked up to wired internet, and that works well. I was never able to get it work on the wireless, and it seems you cannot use both wired and wireless simultaneously. The printer is reasonably fast under normal conditions, but not nearly as fast as our old HP 2300, which really cranked them out. You may have to wait 20-30 sec for the first page to come out. More troublesome is it that the printer has a tendency to freeze up at regular intervals. Suddenly and for no apparent reason, it won't print, delivers a "spool area full" message, and deleting the job and resetting the queue won't work. The only way to fix it is to turn the printer off and back on again. In spite of this, I am pretty happy with this printer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Printer for ePrint and Apple AirPrint, August 23, 2012
I was recently introduced to the function of AirPrinting with our iPads and iPhones. As soon as I saw how easy and functional it was, I had to have a printer that was capable of performing. After some extensive research and checking out many different models, I made the plunge to get this printer. We use both Macs and PC's in our home and found that it was a little difficult to get the printer setup initially with the Mac but once we set it up with the PC, it took about 15 minutes. There's also a really easy to use "ePrint" app that you can get from the Apple Store which allows you to print anything remotely from your phone. Finally, you can even setup an email address where anyone can print to your printer if they send an attachment to your email address setup for printing.

All in all, a good printer. I would have given it 5 stars if I could have set it up with the Mac and saved 30 minutes but all in all, a good experience.

1.0 out of 5 stars High Cost - Lousey Mac OS Driver, September 22, 2013
T. McCabe (Sandy Spring, MD) - See all my reviews
I have a couple of HP color laserjet printers. One is a 1998 model 8550dn that's still chugging well. This model 400 is cheap and consumes toner like it's starved. However, my biggest concern is the driver. I am a all Mac office. When you want single pages from a multi-page document it prints them front/back regardless of how you configure the print job. When printing multiple copies from a single page document, it just keeps on printing them regardless of the number you select. You have to stand at the printer a push the Cancel button once your page count is reached.

Would I buy this printer again - NO. If you are using a Mac system, think twice before you buy!

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst printer I've owned, October 4, 2013
I recently purchased this printer as a work printer. While the print quality is good, the rest of the printer is horrible. It prints very very very slowly, sometimes takes minutes in between pages while it constantly decides it needs to clean the machine before continuing on. I've had an 8 page document take 30 minutes. It curls upward every page that comes out of the printer so they don't lie down flat when coming out. This causes the pages to catch on each other and knock them out of order, or to the floor if I'm not pulling them to my desk manually and keeping them in order. The cartridges are expensive and don't seem to last that long compared to the price. I've changed drivers and did clean installs and have had no change in quality. Our IT department has also tried to get this running better and has spent hours to no avail. I wish I had returned this printer in the first week. Honestly, I couldn't be much less happy about this printer than I am.

1.0 out of 5 stars Save Your Money if You Want to Use Wirelessly, November 26, 2012
We spent $375 on this printer for our office and it has been nothing but a headache. Setup was not convenient in order to share over a network, but once we got through that, the problems just started.

We print hundreds of pages of paperwork daily and this printer prints VERY, VERY slowly (sometimes 5-10 minutes between pages) and skips pages during almost every batch. Yes, all drivers and firmware are up to date, this is just a poor printer at a high price. We just replaced this with individual Brother Monochrome printer for under $90 a piece and they are serving us much, much better. Will never buy another HP printer again. Maybe this thing works ok if plugged into your laptop, but that was not an option for an office that shares printers over a network.

Naturally, we are unable to return it now as it has been too long - that's fine... we will just know better next time to stay away from HP products. I am guessing their computers, etc. are equally as horrible.

4.0 out of 5 stars Be careful, September 13, 2012
CJ (Wisconsin) - See all my reviews
This printer worked great, except it wasn't what I expected. The other review on this product talks about auto duplexing. THIS PRINTER DOES NOT AUTO DUPLEX. You're looking for the DW model if you want the auto duplexing.

Other than that, it's a solid printer that prints fast and easily connects to a wireless network. Be sure to look around online for installing instructions of the software though - you need to disable the auto-install feature of the printer because the pre-installed software on the printer itself is corrupted from what I understand.

2.0 out of 5 stars There are much better printers., September 14, 2012
Miss K "Miss K" (Los Angeles, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
*Addendum to the review in the paragraph below:
I just bought an HP pro 8600 inkjet printer. The machine seems sturdier than the laser jet and it promises lower cost printing than a laser jet. The print looks great with colors just as vivid as the laser jet. So far, I'm very pleased. The ink cartridges are reasonably priced, so if it lasts, this will be a great product.

In my opinion, HP has gotten greedy. They're making their toners less efficient and more costly. This printer is not better than the old HP model I had, which was disappointing. You would think that a company is going to keep improving, but I think they thought the HP Laser Jet 3600 was too good for the money, so they made this one slightly lower in quality. The print is not as sharp and the colors are not as vivid with the manufacturer supplied toner. The re-manufactured cartridges of toner do not work as well, either. I refuse to buy those ridiculously expensive HP toner cartridges. I would rather buy a new printer of another brand. It's a rip-off and they will continue charging outrageous prices for the toner cartridges until people stop buying them. I used the re-manufactured toner cartridges in my old printer for 6 years and never had a problem. Now right away, I keep getting a message asking if I want to authenticate the toner cartridges. They can actually tell that I am not using their toner. RIP-OFF!

5.0 out of 5 stars I found out what causes slow wireless printing, March 13, 2013
If you have multiple hot spots hanging off your internet connection, maybe a router or repeater to get more wireless coverage, then the printer could print slow....very slow. What you need to do is power down all wireless sources, except for the main one, turn on the printer and let it recognize the single wireless signal. Then power up the other hot spots and printer will print very very fast. If your main wireless router is powered down, looses power, or is rebooted for any reason, then the printer will print slow again. It gets confused with multiple wireless signals with the same SSD. Let it connect to a single signal SSD once, then it won't care about the other signals. Do this for first time set-up too and you'll keep yourself from pulling your hair out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Printer, May 31, 2014
Dana (Tennessee USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this product 6 months ago and finally got around to writing a review. I have run through about 2,000 pages through it and I'm extremely please with the quality. The colors are great and I'm still on the starter cartridges, although they show they are about out.

My only complaint is that several hundred pages ago, I started to get these nag screens every time I try to print telling me the cartridges are going out and I have to replace them. ok, I get it, but the cartridges are still fine and going, even though they say they are dead. I wish I could turn these nag screens off for Pete's sake! It doesn't detract though from what I consider to be a great printer and I would highly recommend it, I just wish they would give you the option of turning the screens off.

UPDATE: After a few more months after I wrote my review, I am updating this review with a lower rating. I am still getting nag screens telling me my cartridges are out. Now I get 2 nag screens each time I print, and the printer itself every 50 pages nags me on the LCD display and won't continue to print until I confirm that I recognize that I am low on toner. And the thing is, its still printing fine without color fade. So, on one hand, kudos to the printer toner cartridges, still on the starter set after 8 months, but this nag screen everytime I print is starting to tick me off. It is an annoyance. At the very least, I should get an option to turn off the reminders and tell it to leave me alone without uninstalling the software. For that, I'm downgrading this to 3 stars until or unless HP issues an update to fix this. This is real total pain and really takes away from enjoying an otherwise good printer.