4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for what it does

2.0 out of 5 stars Paper Feed Big Problem
Published on August 12, 2011 by Rene Jordan

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for what it does, May 1, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A little background: I already have two printers I use. My Epson R2400 is a great photo printer, but only a mediocre general purpose printer. My old HP LaserJet 4M still does the job, but it has some limitations. It's a big energy hog/space heater, so I don't leave it on, and it takes a while to warm up. It's black and white only. And the single feed tray no longer works. I thought this little HP inkjet might be a replacement for my general purpose printing, of which I don't do a lot. I was also intrigued by its Bluetooth capability; I don't print very often from my laptop, but Bluetooth would be a very convenient way to do it when I want to.

I first loaded up the software on my laptop, which took a while. HP is certainly not frugal in loading software. At one point the instructions were to just follow the "add printer" instructions in Windows (XP), which weren't entirely clear for adding a Bluetooth printer. I didn't have much trouble figuring it out, but I've been dealing with computers for a lot more years than I want to think about. HP's instructions could have been more helpful.

After that I was able to print using the Bluetooth connection. I then unplugged the printer, and printed using battery power. It all worked!

Next I loaded the software on my desktop, and set out to print via USB. There is, of course, no USB cable included. Never mind that USB connections on computers are 99% standard, they saved the few dimes including a cable would have cost. Fortunately I have a cable for nearly any occasion, including things nobody has used in twenty years, so I got it hooked up and printing.

The print quality is very good on the paper sample HP included, and almost as good on basic laser printer paper. It can't quite match a laser printer on fine lines and small fonts, but for most people it will suit their needs quite nicely.

As HP included the ability to print borderless photos, I had to test that capability. I printed a photo from Tuscany at 4x6 on both the HP and the R2400. To be fair, I used the stock settings for both, not the adjusted settings I normally use with the R2400. The HP did produce a decent picture. It wasn't up to the R2400's quality, but it's not an expensive photo printer. With some adjustments it could be pretty darn good. I wouldn't recommend getting one to use as a photo printer, but it is certainly capable of printing a photo now and then.

OK, let's talk its limitations. It has no paper capture tray, which is not surprising in a printer designed to be portable. And its dinky cartridges aren't going to print a lot of pages, especially with a lot of color.

This is a good, light duty printer that will work in a constrained space or as a portable printer. If you plan to do a lot of printing get a larger inkjet printer with separate cartridges for different colors, or a laser printer. If you want to print a lot of photos get a photo printer. But if you are looking for a printer that fits in a small space, can be moved around, and does a good job on the occasional page you need printed, this is a surprisingly good printer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect if you need portability, May 5, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We already have a good color inkjet printer in the house - but we've been wanting something portable for the last year or so. The main use for this printer is for my wife to take to 'scrapbook weekends'. A little printer is very useful when scrapbooking, but it's just too big of a hassle to lug the full-size printer around with her.

This Officejet 100 mobile printer fits the bill perfectly! Although we ran into some unexpected problems, the overall experience was far better than we expected for a printer of this size. (I will go over some of the issues we've run into during this review.)

Before I get into the specifics of this printer, I should mention that we replaced the included black HP98 cartridge with a photo-color HP99 cartridge. The documentation doesn't mention whether this is possible, and the inside of the printer doesn't list it as being compatible - so I was a bit nervous. Honestly, the only reference I found to the HP99 anywhere was an obscure reference on the HP support sight (and that wasn't very clear). Fortunately, the printer picked up the new cartridge just fine and is using it as expected in combination with the, also included, HP95 color cartridge.

Another thing I did was to download the 'Basic Print Driver' package directly from HP instead of using the included install CD. This was a simple process, and the wizard walks you through setting up a Bluetooth printer connection if you haven't done it before.

Now, let me cover the things that we like about this printer:

1) The output is truly photo quality when using the HP99 cartridge, and the black output looks great as well (when using the HP98 cartridge). I will admit that the photos from our full-size ink-jet do look a bit nicer, but not by a lot. This truly is 'photo quality' output.

2) The Bluetooth connectivity absolutely rocks! When using Bluetooth, this printer is truly wireless - which makes it absolutely simple to pull out of a carrying bag and use. There is no worrying about cables getting lost, or in the way...

3) The overall footprint is very compact (it seems smaller in person than in the product photos). Because of that, you do give up a paper capture tray and the paper feeding isn't the best either - but those are compromises that most portable printer users should be willing to accept.

4) The battery life is excellent! The battery itself looks like a laptop battery, and just plugs into the back of the printer. The charge time from completely drained to fully charged is about an hour - which is pretty good. My wife has taken this on 2 overnight scrapbook retreats and it hasn't needed a charge while she was away; although, she does keep the power cord handy just in case.

5) The print speed is a bit slow for photos - but not overly slow. Once again, I was expecting this, and I felt like it was fast for such a small printer.

6) We have been using it with the borderless 4x6 HP paper, and that works great! We have to feed it one sheet at a time, and also have to push down a bit when it starts feeding; but, once again, I don't mind having to help it along in exchange for the portability.

7) Because of the small size, this printer is incredibly simple to operate. No fancy LCDs or flash memory slots, it just turns on and works as expected without any hassle.

If you've made it this far, I hope I've made it clear that this is a great little printer - but there are some limitations that we expected because of the size. Aside from those issues, we have run into a couple of problems that really do count against the printer:

1) The battery life is good, but the battery itself drains quickly when not in use. For example, we fully charged the battery after using it and then turned off the printer and placed it in a cupboard. The next time it was needed (only a couple of weeks later), we pulled it out and the battery was completely drained - to the point where it wouldn't even turn on. Because of this, you need to be careful to fully charge the printer before you load it up to take it with you. Don't assume the battery is still charged, even if you used it recently...

2) Some people will love this, but I can't believe how long the power cord is! It measures in at longer than 12 feet - and doesn't wrap up that compactly as a result. Honestly, the wrapped up power cord takes up about 1/4 of the space of the entire printer...

Overall, if you're looking for a portable printer, this is the best one I've found and I highly recommend it. On the other hand, don't make the mistake of thinking this will be your main printer at home. Although, at this price, I doubt many people will be thinking that! ;-)

2.0 out of 5 stars Paper Feed Big Problem, August 12, 2011
This review is from: HP Officejet 100 Wireless Printer (Office Product)
I had high hopes for this mobile printer since I have purchased several HP printers and previously had the HP450 mobile printer. Read one review about paper feed problems but thought that since the other reviews gave it high marks....I installed it according to directions--using the disk prior to plugging the printer into the computer. All set up, loaded paper into the printer, plugged it into the computer and when I tried to print a test page, got the message that there was no paper in the printer. Took the paper out, re-inserted it, still the same message. After several times of going through the same process, it printed. Used it at work the next day, and it was very sporadic in printing with paper always available. HP would not take the printer back--they only wanted to replace it. Fortunately, the vendor I purchased the printer from did allow me to return it. I have replaced my mobile printer with a Canon printer and it is working wonderfully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, great printer, May 4, 2011
James "James S." (Houston, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was skeptical at first.... a printer with a LI battery? I was pleasantly surprised though. It prints flawlessly, and the battery life is exceptional. The black and white isn't QUITE up to par with my laser printer, but I don't expect an ink jet to be. We primarily use this as a color printer, but the fact that you can unplug it and get up to 500 pages of print jobs off of a single charge is exceptional.

It also prints edgeless photos which is nice. Photo quality is exceptional, but it won't really replace your high end photo printer if super quality is your thing on photos. The photo print quality is exceptional for the average user though. I don't quite have a feel for how long the color cartridges will last, but i'll update the review as time goes on.

Setup was easy via usb. The cable wasn't included, but who doesn't have 375 USB cables laying around in a drawer in this day and age? At first I was a little disappointed that this didn't have built in wireless networking, but then I realized I could pick up a $3 bluetooth (BT) dongle and print wirelessly. Most laptops have BT built in or at least a BT dongle for a mouse so that's perfect for mobile printing. The bluetooth printing directly from your BT cell phone is exceptional as well.

Feeder has a 500 page capacity which is nice, but no paper tray. You have to give something up for a mobile printer and if I had a choice it would be to have the 500 page feeder over the paper tray.

The actual footprint of the unit is very small so it's good for tight desktop spaces.

Exceptional printer if you need versatility of being mobile. I could see this as a great printer for college folks or small business who needs to print in the field.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it promises, and at a fair speed, May 25, 2011
A. Neilll (Goochland, VA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This printer was so simple to setup that my wife, who generally hates peripherals with the zeal of a neo-Luddite, set it up by herself before I even got home.

The speed is not the exactly blinding on normal print or photos. However, if you print in Fast Draft mode (which I do for most every day printing) the printing is quite fast, fast to the point that I wished it had a tray to hold the output! In fact it has been finishing 8 page jobs in the time it took
my old printer to cycle up and print the first page.

The battery life is amazing - so much so that you may have to replace the ink before you recharge the battery; of course depending upon your use pattern.

This printer was small enough for us to tuck in a corner in the kitchen - the one room in our home where space is most at a premium.

A few items to note that might or might not be helpful

- *Android Support*: They do not list Android smart phones as a supported client platform, and so far as I can Android is indeed not supported. I have been unable to print from my Epic4G although it can see the bluetooth device.

- *Driver Installation*: On some of the subsequent installs in my home I tried to wing it and setup the bluetooth printer manually. That turned out to be a mistake; an hour messing about on my son's netbook was quickly remedied once used the disk

- *Paper Output*: There does not seem to be a tray for the output, so we actually took a clean old cutting board and set the printer on it to catch the papers keeping them from falling off the counter.

- *Printer Only*: As advertised, this is NOT a multifunction device, strictly a printer.

- *Wireless is Bluetooth Only, not Wifi*: Not a big deal, but make sure you have bluetooth capability (or buy a USB bluetooth dongle), likewise you will want bluetooth on any new computers you buy. That would not seem like a big deal, but several "deal-site" computers on sale lately have not had built-in bluetooth. (I'm looking at you, woot)

Overall it prints well and reliably so far after the first month. Everyone, including my wife is happily printing away, and best of all, because of the small footprint, we don't have to relegate our printer to the depths of our basement any longer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Something of a step backward for HP portable printing., November 11, 2011
This review is from: HP Officejet 100 Wireless Printer (Office Product)
The HP Officejet 100 is apparently an evolution of the other portable printers HP has offered in the past (HP 350, 450, 460, H470)

However, it's larger, heavier and appears to have lost some function. For instance, the the built-in SD card reader is missing.

I'm at a loss as to why HP took this route. The name of the game is adding features while at the same time making for a smaller package.

My company has nearly 100 HP 450/460 & H470 printers. They are fairly robust and are small enough to fit within the confines of a backpack.

But this OJ 100 is larger by over 20mm in width and 10mm in length. It's also heavier by almost .5 Kg. I know this doesn't seem like much, but it does add up.

It also doesn't seem to be any faster than the H470 it is replacing. It also uses the same ink cartridges, so the print quality isn't going to be any better.

The one I have here has Bluetooth (not a standard feature on the H470) but comes WITH a battery which was an optional extra on the H470.

However, HP has taken a step backward by NOT offering USB cables with their printers. This would be an item costing <~$2.00, I was personally grateful that HP included the USB cable along with the H470. Too bad I can't get the H470 any longer.

From a corporate perspective, I like that it uses the same ink cartridges which makes maintaining inventory easier. I do NOT like that it doesn't use the same power adapter that the previous versions of the printers did. This forces me to buy yet another costly component that I already have a supply of, but was suddenly rendered obsolete.

Overall, it's not a "bad" printer. I just wish companies like HP wouldn't remove features that were previously included. If you introduce a "new" model, it should be better than the one it's replacing, otherwise is as this one is, more or less the same thing but with prettier colors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Mobile Printer, July 14, 2011
This review is from: HP Officejet 100 Wireless Printer (Office Product)
Needed a mobile printer, and after researching them decided on the HP Officejet 100 Mobile Printer. I have only had it a few days, but it is working great. It is easy to install on Windows 7 and was it was very easy to set up the bluetooth. Fits right in my rolling laptop case for ease when traveling. I have not used it for photos yet, because I use it mainly for business purposes when traveling.

1.0 out of 5 stars do not buy!, September 13, 2013
This review is from: HP Officejet 100 Wireless Printer (Office Product)
THis printer does not work with apple products... iPad 2, iPhone 4S, Macbook pro all did not sync with printer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shoddy Goods, November 30, 2011
This review is from: HP Officejet 100 Wireless Printer (Office Product)
In September 2010. I bought an HP 475 portable printer. It worked well enough for thbe 5 months we were trwveling in our RV. When we resumed our travels in October 2011, it worked for about a week on the road & then gave all sorts of reasons for not printing, like the cover was opened when it was close and the cartridges were stuck when they weren't. Since I need a printer to print out our daily routes, and I didn't have my HP papers with me, I bought this HP 100 on Amazon. It worked fine for a day. Then in the middle of a print job, the paper ran out. I loaded more, but the printer. merely flashed lights as if it were the honored guest at a rock show. It wouldn't print. I couldn't get the On button to go off until I removed the battery. After letting it rest, I put the battery back in. And then the On button wouldn't go on.

I returned it and got a replacement. It printed fine until it, too, ran out of paper. Again I reloaded it. Again, I couldn't get it to print again. I returned it and bought a Kodak Hero 3.1. Not truly portable, but smaller than most.

Oh, I called this "shoddy goods," That's because the cover, which lifts up to hold the paper came off repeatedly. Nothing was damaged on it. It's just that the cover wasn't made to fit precisely. Also the paper tray slips out. You keep having to put this thing together becaause nothing really snaps firmly into what it's supposed to.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not HP Quality, August 16, 2011
This review is from: HP Officejet 100 Wireless Printer (Office Product)
I have a windows 7 HP 8GB memory computer. The CD Rom would not install no matter what I tried. After going to the internet and 45 minutes later I received an ERROR message that the 20 minute download FAILED. I have used the HP 470H mobile printer for the last 3 years with little or no problem. This printer is bigger than the 470H by a little. I finally got it up and running. It seems quieter and has a more solid action than the 470H however the paper handling is REALLY BAD! I have to stand there and push the next paper down for the printer to catch the next print page. It's the same with regular paper or photo stock.
I'm NOT buying another one of these although I would buy another 470H. The prices are MUCH better now and the unit is MUCH easier to install and the paper feeds great. The print quality is the same, no matter what 94, 95, 97, 98 or 99 cartrides you use.
I hope HP wakes up and doesn't go into DENIAL about this!