4.0 out of 5 stars Well-suited for the home or the home office
I thought I would make what is normally the conclusion the beginning section because not everyone may have the time or the disposition to go through all these paragraphs unless actually interested in making a purchase. I am providing more detail that should support my conclusions AFTER the evaluation section.

Evaluation
This is, esentially,...
Published on March 21, 2009 by A. Dent

1.0 out of 5 stars Second unit going back as defective...need I say more?
The build quality on this is TERRIBLE.

The first unit I received wouldn't print from tray #2. HP wanted to replace my brand new printer with a refurb unit, but thankfully Amazon immediately sent me a new one when I told them this.

Published on July 24, 2009 by Steve

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-suited for the home or the home office, March 21, 2009
This review is from: HP Officejet Pro 8500 Premier Wireless All-in-One Printer (Office Product)

Evaluation
----------
This is, esentially, the HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless All-In-One Printer with an extra paper tray, 3 extra ink cartridges and some promo materials. The unit I reviewed did not have the extra paper tray.

The reviewed unit meets the claim of it being a all-in-one solution. While it is not likely that any individual user would take advantage of all its features on a regular basis, it is reassuring to know that the features are there. The supplied software and the printer's own console interface allow for a tremenduous amount of flexibility and customization. Some of the more advanced features will require an above-average level of computer expertise but, even without a lot of customization, this will be a useful, worthy printing/faxing/copying/scanning appliance.

While the superior quality of output would make this printer a good 'small office' candidate, its speed would probably disqualify it if the small office was doing any significant amount printing. I provided some personal benchmarks so that any prospective small business buyer could decide. As a 'home' printer, this comes as close to perfect as they come. I will be using it as a home printer so please do interpret my rating within that context.

A minor observation regarding 'design'. I found it interesting that some of the functions available on the touch screen are duplicated on physical buttons on the printer's console. This was striking because I actually saw this model for sale at New York's Fifth Ave. Apple store. It immediately occured to me that an Apple designer would have none of those buttons if allowed to redesign the product. This is not criticism, it's only an observation, also prompted by the fact that, for example, when specifying the number of copies to be printed, I could NOT use the physical number pad but had to punch the number on the virtual keypad displayed on the touch screen.

The strong, almost violent shaking the printer brings itself to when not on a perfectly steady surface was a little disturbing to me. I have little doubt that, if improperly placed, the printer would quickly lose its printheads alignment and it might even experience other technical trouble.

Finally, I am happy that the HP Tech support solved my Vista-related problem but it would have been better if a printer that was manufatured only a few days before I received it had an updated CD or, at least, a flyer advising Vista users how to obtain the updated driver.

Considering all of the above, the this printer gets a strong, very positive 4 stars. However, my view is that the OfficeJet Pro is basically a 'home' or 'home office' unit, not a 'small business' printer. As such, I see no advantage in purchasing the Premier' model instead of the 'one paper tray', less expensive version.

_______________________________________________________________________________

First impressions
-----------------

The HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless All-In-One Printer integrates print, copy, fax, scan document and photo-processing functions. HP supplies the printer itself, 'starter' ink cartridges, print heads and a phone wire. Ethernet or USB cables are not included. Thin manuals are provided for wireless and FAX setup. A quick installation poster is provided as well. The full 300+ manual can be downloaded from the HP site. The CD has drivers for the several supported Operating Systems and a number of additional applications such as OCR (optical character recognition).

Besides the Ethernet and USB ports, other physical IO include 2 telephone jacks in the back and slots for several types of memory cards in the front. The printer can be controlled from a PC or directly through a touch-screen color display and several buttons that generally duplicate options on the menus available through the touch-screen interface. To satisfy energy saving concerns, the printer goes to sleep if not used for a while but it can be reactivated by either touching the screen or one of the buttons or remotely from a networked workstation.

Software
--------
Drivers are available for the most recent flavors of Windows (Vista, XP, 2000) and for the Mac. It can be configured to either a local printer, connected to a PC via a USB cable or as a network printer, wired (Ethernet) or wireless (802.11g). Another option (not tested by me) would be for one PC to connect the printer via USB and then share it over the network. I experienced problems installing the Vista drivers but HP's tech support addressed it by replacing the CD-supplied drivers with a version available at HP's site.

While installing the drivers, HP will also install a number of applications and services. Of these the HP Solutions Center is the most versatile. It monitors the printer's status, including the ink levels and allows for configuring printing, scanning, faxing and other capabilities such as the forwarding of documents to network folders (tested) or to email (not tested yet). In addition, the home page can be used to control fax and scan operations, to convert a graphic image to text and to launch other applications such as the HP Photosmart Essential. I posted images of the Home and Configuration screens.

I did not fully test the Photosmart Essential application yet but I expect it to meet most basic photo management and printing needs and perhaps more.

If staying with the defaults at drivers installation, HP will install other, generally unneeded or unwelcome applications and services. One of them, the HP Customer Participation Program seems to be taking hundreds of megabytes but not doing anything useful from the end-user's point of view. I found Web discussions indicating that the 'program' was guilty of a memory leak. I removed it. Another unwelcome (to me) addition is the 'Yahoo Toolbar' to my Internet Explorer which I don't use anyway. This was done without asking for my permission. I had to use Vista's Control Panel to remove it after the fact.

Finally, one 'glitch' that occured after my initial installation from the supplied HP disk had a pop-up constantly telling me that the "HP product assistant" had to be installed or updated and asking me to provide a path. Providing the path for the requested file which I found burried 3 levels deep inside the supplied CD, was not helping and the cycle kept repeating endlessly. Some Web research revealed that this was a common problem and there were not many known solutions. I was able to find at the HP site a utility that tried to remove all HP drivers software from my PC but, 4 reboots later and after re-installing the drivers, the popup returned. A call to the HP support was answered and a technician was able to address the problem after taking over my computer, performing the 'cleanup' job that I tried myself and then installing an updated version of the drivers, downloaded from the HP site. The file name for Vista 32-bit is OJP8500vA909_Full_12.exe. I will post an image showing how to get to the drivers from the HP Solution Center. The HP suppport remediation completed after about 2 hours. The HP technician stated that 'only Vista' installations experience this problem. XP or Mac users should be safe.

-----
Ink-jet printing outputs clean documents even on the 'normal' resolution. Printouts can be either color or black and white, one-sided or two-sided. Print quality can be set to anything form 'general everyday printing' to presentation, photo-quality or to ink-saving 'fast/economical printing'. The supplied paper tray can be loaded with up to 250 sheets up to 'legal' size. One-sided print speed is adequate but duplex printing can be quite slow.

The print operation appears to involved a great deal of physical movement inside the printer. If placed on anything but a very steady platform, the printer tends to swing quite violently from left to right and back. This had me concerned enough to move it from its initial location.

Copy
----
The copy function allows for anything from one-sided/one-sided to two-sided/two-sided copies. As in the case of printing, two-sided copies are much slower to produce. The copy quality is good enough to make the copy almost indistinguishable from the original.

Fax
---
I did not fully test the FAX capabilities but it's worth menioning that a lot of flexibility is provided, including the ability to direct the faxes to a network folder (which I did test with the scan function) rather than having them printed. It is also possible to block 'junk' faxes by maintaining a list of the offending phone numbers.

Scanner
-------
As a scanner, one can file the output to any of up to 10 preset network folders or if when the scanning process is initiated from a PC, output can be directed to a designated user's local folder. Scanned documents can be translated to text via the integrated OCR function. My experiment with a printed document produced with Microsoft Word returned 100% accuracy for content but, as expected, the formatting (headers, footers, margins) was not properly handled.

Photo processing
----------------
Photo processing can be controlled either at the console and the interactive touch screen interface does allow for some flexibility. Input is provided by inserting one of the supported memory devices containing pictures (MMC SD, CF, XD, MS/DUO or USB). Some crude cropping and sizing is available as well as color processing - sepia or gray scale prints can be produced and the colors can be manipulated to be darker or lighter. The more flexible solution and the one more likely to be used is via the provided HP Photosmart Essential application. Either through the touch screen interface or via HP Photosmart the printer can be configured to use photo paper from either HP or 'other' manufacturers. Inks more suitable for photo printing are available from HP but the quality of prints that I produced with the supplied ink on Canon Photo Paper Pro was satisfactory.

Document Management
-------------------
I did not test the claimed document management capabilities yet.

Support
-------
I was satisfied with the quality of support provided. After a slow start (20 minutes) where the Help Desk person asked many questions related to my identity, the printer's identity and the nature of the problem, I was forwarded to a technician that was able to actually solve my problem (see above under 'software'). It's hard to tell whether the better than expected support came because I mentioned that I was in the process of reviewing the printer on behalf of a known vendor.

In addition, the HP Web sites provide a lot of material, including updated drivers and the full manual which I still have to print.

Benchmarks
----------
I am including a few personal benchmarks with the hope that they might help someone make the right decision when it comes to purchase a home-printer or a small office printer.

- Printing

Was done on 10 pages of a Microsoft document that had some graphics and some color. The print quality was set to 'General everyday printing'.

10 pages (10 sheets), one sided - 56 seconds.
10 pages (5 sheets), duplex - 2 minutes, 56 seconds.

- Copying

Set to 'color', 'General everyday printing' quality.

1 page, 1 copy, 1-1 side - 24 seconds.
1 page, 5 copies, 1-1 side - 1 minute, 6 seconds.
5 pages, 1 copy, 1-1 side (5 sheets) - 1 minute, 22 seconds.
10 pages, 1 copy, 2-2 sides (5 sheets)- 3 minutes, 55 seconds.

1.0 out of 5 stars Second unit going back as defective...need I say more?, July 24, 2009
Steve (Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
The build quality on this is TERRIBLE.

The problem is that the 2nd unit is more broken than the first. Now it will print from tray #2, but the top right corner of every page that comes from tray #2 is bent and dirty as if caught on the print head. Pages from tray #1 don't have this. I've removed the duplexer from the back to let pages get spit out that way from tray #2 and none had the bend. That means the problem isn't tied to the external tray, but rather to the main printer.

I called HP, and their helpdesk in India dug through their books until they came up with the genius idea to "clean the rollers". Sure. Of a new printer. They refused to transfer me to anyone in the US, or to anyone who actually had seen this printer for themselves.

Also, this new unit emits a gentle hissing sound that the first one did not. Since I hadn't yet sent back the first one, I double-checked this.

The idea is great. The list of features is very appealing. The execution is a failure.

By the way, a number of people had posted that envelopes only print from tray #1. It's more than that. Tray #2 can only be used for standard paper. If I try to configure it to use the included letter-sized HP Glossy Brochure paper, the software on the PC won't allow me to select anything but tray #1 as the source unless I change the paper type back to normal.

I'd really hoped to avoid spending the extra money on a (non-HP at this point) color laser, so I'm sadly considering putting myself through this again by trying a third unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice AIO printer, April 28, 2009
Just Me (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
I use this printer in a home office environment and it does a very nice job. Printouts are very crisp with good quality. Colors are vibrant and sharp. Copies are fast and of very good quality and faxes are very easy to send and receive.
While this printer is a bit more than other available "all in ones", I felt that the cost per print with the new, higher yielding cartridges will over time provide a much better cost of ownership. The "Premier" version of this printer offers the extra cartridges for colors (not black!) and the added tray. Since the difference is about one hundred dollars and the regular yield cartridges are 20 each, I figure the real difference is that you are paying 40 for a the extra tray. Well worth it for me. Other than the three extra cartridges, the extra tray, and some marketing software that I thought was not that valuable, the printer is the same as the "wireless" version.
Overall the printer is fast, but not blazing (slow in duplex mode). Does a good job to go on sleep mode. So with the energy efficiency and duplex capability, I do think that it is more efficient to run over time since you use less power and less paper (if you can live with the slowness in duplex which I usually can).
I am very happy with print performance and it looks solidly built. You can print or scan multiple pages with the built in Auto document feed (ADF) which makes it very, very nice. It is easy to operate right on the built in display and buttons which my kids and wife love. Without any instructions they were copying things in no time. The scan works with up to Legal/A4 size pages. It has been a great choice for my home office. The wireless function has worked flawlessly in my network (6 computers attached).

1.0 out of 5 stars Not ready for prime time .... at least until you get your 3rd replacement!, November 5, 2009
Suzie Mcleod (Rancho San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
I bought this printer in September 2009 and had I reviewed it shortly thereafter would have given it 5 stars. It's wonderful when it works. Unfortunately, it didn't work for long. I started receiving a "paper jam" message on October 27th, although there was no paper jam to be found. Called tech support. I am now aware that I was incredibly lucky to get an actual tech support agent in less than 30 minutes. He said they would send a replacement printer. Although he said they call them refurbished, they are essentially new printers that have been returned from stores, checked by HP, but they are no longer allowed to call them new. I was hesitant to accept a "refurbished" but decided to trust what he had said.

I received the replacement printer within a few days and was able to set it up to the point where I could print a test page. As I had hoped, the pages printed said 2 total, both of which I had done. So HP isn't pulling anything over on us by sending a used, refurbished printer for our almost-new ones that fail. Problem was, the Pro 8500 Premier is an A909n. The replacement HP sent was an A909g, a printer which the tech told me was about $100 less. But before I could get to a technician to complete the setup (message was that the printer was offline even though it was on my network and I had confirmed the successful setup by printing a page to tell me that), I was on hold one evening for over THREE HOURS!!! And I have iPhone screen shots to prove it, which I may try to figure out how to attach to this review. It was just unbelievable. Finally at 11:43pm I decided that even if I were lucky enough to ever have an HP tech respond, I was too tired to go through any sort of diagnostics with him/her.

I called the next day, and after a MERE 48 minutes on hold, a tech answered. He's the one who figured out they had sent me the wrong model. FYI, there are three different models of this printer. I believe they're all A909, but there's an 'A' 'G' and 'N' series. You can tell which one you have easily by opening the print cartridge door. There's a sticker on the part of the door that folds down.

I received my second replacement printer today, November 5th, and could not get it even to the alignment stage. After 48 minutes on hold my call was somehow disconnected, so I decided to try live chat. After a considerable wait of 30-45 minutes, a live chat tech rep finally responded. We went through thing after thing for over two hours, and still could not get rid of the "paper jam" message, which is exactly what the problem was with the original printer.

Be aware that when HP sends you the replacement printer, they send the bare minimum: You have to remove everything that's removable, and one piece that you wouldn't think is removable; the faceplate. I believe the duplexer part may be the problem, but after two hours on chat, the result of that was "We'll have a hardware technician call you within an hour." It's been over an hour and no call.

I loved this printer while it worked, but the honeymoon is over, and I'm seriously considering divorce :-)

UPDATE, NOVEMBER 19TH - It has indeed been "third time charm," at least thus far. The third replacement printer has been working satisfactorily, although this one did have a couple of very tiny thin scratches on the black shiny portion on the front of the printer, so I'm afraid this one may have been a store display or something along those lines. I would not change any of the above comments, but I might raise the review to 1.5 stars. I still would be very cautious about HP in the future, unless I can buy from Sams Club or Costco, somewhere locally with an excellent return policy.

UPDATE 2, FEB 11th, 2010 - Still working like it should. It's a 5-star printer when working properly. I'd up my review to 3.5 to 4 stars at this point, now that the frustrations mentioned above have had time to fade. Another "pro" of note: It doesn't seem to be near the ink hog that some printers are.

UPDATE 3, JAN 8th, 2012 - Paper jam issues continue. Cheaply made. It was giving me a weird code for some unspecified reason about the print carriage not being able to move, although it moved normally. I took it to a printer repair depot, and just today was advised that a plastic part is cracked which will cause the "paper jam" code to appear, as well as a mylar carrier strap being broken. The repair estimate was $85. I decided to recycle this one and move on to an Epson Artisan, which was on sale for only $99, along with a Canon PIXMA all-in-one printer and a Canon PIXMA Pro 9500 Mark II that had an excellent rebate over the holidays. I, like many others, am done with HP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best All-in-one yet !, June 5, 2009
Don (Coventry CT) - See all my reviews
First, I use this HP 8500 printer in my office, everyday, with fairly high volumes of printing. I bought the Premier to get the extra paper tray for my letterhead paper. I bot it primarily for the scanning fuction but also use it as my primary printer and copier. I don't use the fax, as I have a dedicated fax already. I also have it hard wired rather than using it wireless. Every function works very good. It's the best AIO I've owned and used. (I also use the HP 7580 Officejet Pro AIO at home). The 8500 is better all around, it's quieter and easier to use. The scanning software is superior to the previous generation of AIOs. The set up was easy with no problems. The only difficulty I am having is printing an envelope. This should be easy but for some reason it won't print a #10 envelope. Most likely user error, I'll have to figuire it out. All things considered, this is a very good machine.

1.0 out of 5 stars HP 8500 Premier Wireless Printer, August 14, 2009
HP Officejet Pro 8500 Premier Wireless All-in-One Printer

A good printer, fax and copier. It will scan if you are able to stand having the HP software installed on your computer. I have it set to wireless operation in a 4 computer home network with an HP 7410 and the new 8500 Premier. It was no problem to set up (especially since my network is mature and working well). It prints from all my puters and will fax and copy from the machine itself.

An update to my earlier review: After about a year of use, I can no longer recommend this printer if you plan on using its wireless capability. Please do a google search for "HP 8500 printer is offline." You will see what I mean. In my case the printer goes offline about once a week. When that happens you won't be able to print until you clear the cache at the print spooler level(not at all easy), delete the printer and than reinstall the printer.

After a year of this Google has helped me find a batch file to delete the print cache, stop the print spooler and than reinstall it which does allow you to delete the "offline" printer. Sometimes it reinstalls easily but most of the time it won't. So you can plan to spend 30-60 minutes clearing the printer and reinstalling it every time it goes "offline." It simply is not worth it and mine only goes offline 1-2 times a week. As you can see from Google, others have a much greater frequency of problems.

Buy this only if you are going to hardwire it to your computer. It and Win 7 simply are not compatible as wireless buddies. I don't have a clue whether this is HP'HP Officejet Pro 8500 Premier Wireless All-in-One Printers or Microsoft's problem but they won't work together.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing works as it should., July 7, 2009
After only a week in use, our office has determined that this all-in-one is too unreliable. It has the following problems:
1) It frequently prints multiple copies, even when only one copy is selected. Sometimes it prints two copies, sometimes three.
2) It pulls all pages through when copying, but doesn't actually copy all of them- a single page is almost always missing.
3) When faxing, it has the same problem as copying- it pulls all pages through, but does not transmit all of them, e.g. it pulls through 10 pages, but only sends 8.
4) It has two paper trays, but only Tray 1 can hold envelopes. You can set the default tray as Tray 2, but fax reports will only print from Tray 1- regardless of the default tray or tray lock settings. So you can't keep envelopes in Tray 1 to print with their corresponding letters because if there is a fax error, printing the error report on an envelope causes another error, which takes several minutes to resolve.

Tech support has been no help. All they have done is have me check the settings and then sound stumped when the settings are correct.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty mediocre printer, July 25, 2009
Oskian Yaziciyan (Homestead, Florida) - See all my reviews
I am very disappointed in this printer.
Even though I configured the bottom tray as the default tray, it seems to steer itself to the upper one.
Unbelievably, the upper tray has no back stop or back support for the paper. Photographs come out uneven (they come out slanted by about 1-2mm), no matter what you do.
Printer keeps going offline frequently, including via LAN, so the printing switches to my HP 7410 A-I-O.
Unlike the 7410, which itself was no prize,-it won't print the bottom 1/3" of some of my business forms.
The software is buggy. The HP Solution Center keeps getting corrupted. The Windows Host Controller keeps shutting down since I installed the software.
This is another poorly designed and thought out HP product. From what I understand, there is no comparable competing printer.

4.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this printer!, September 28, 2009
In shopping for a nice all-in-one piece, I read many reviews of the HP Officejet Pro 8500 Premiere. I have owned and used a number of HP printers over the years and had nothing but excellent experience with them, so it was with some trepidation over the comments about this piece being lengthy to set up and making many rattling and clunking noises and shaking violently that I FINALLY decided to go ahead and make this purchase, believing that HP's historical quality would prevail.

I can only tell you that the machine I received couldn't work any better. It is quiet, convenient, and prints like a charm. Even my tech-challenged husband can figure out how to fax a document or print something. Print quality is beautiful and the speed is just fine. No shaking, no rattling, no problems. I opted for the Premiere version because I'm not planning on replacing this piece for quite some time and felt the extra paper tray and ink cartridges were well worth the extra cost, especially over time and anticipating future printing needs. No worries with the fax features. The scanner works like a charm.

We are a small, private retail business and this all-in-one will be perfect for handling all our print, fax, scan, and copy needs in one machine. I'm glad I took the chance and went with my gut feeling on this - HP comes through again! :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible - $114 for Ink and The Worst India-based Tech Support You Will Ever Experience, May 16, 2009
Before purchasing this printer, be aware of the astronomical ink cartridge prices that will set you back $114 + tax/shipping for all four (Black $35.99, Cyan $25.99, Magenta $25.99, and Yellow $25.99). The cartridges that come with the actual printer are only starter, low volume cartridges that will require replacement before you expect it. Even more aggravating, when you call HP's tech support line, they will actually try to sell you more ink. I wonder why?

Sadly, HP provides the worst technical support that I have ever experienced. The telephone reps barely speak English (even worse than other India-based tech support) and the chat reps serve multiple customers at the same time, leading to long delays between their responses. Moreover, I have been cut off during chat sessions five times, which leads me to believe it is intentional as this always seems to happen when I attempt to corner them on difficult questions. Before getting cut off today (5/5/2009) the chat technical support rep acknowledged that there are known incompatibilities between the drivers and Windows XP. Presumably, this means the software was written for Vista.

Rate and Discover Movies