on December 11, 2013
Verified Purchase
I have held off getting a Windows 8 PC until I could get one with a touchscreen. After reading about some hardware issues with lenovo and other brands, I began looking for an HP.

The key features i was looking for were >4GB memory, touch screen, and a decent CPU. This model met those requirements, and I have been using it for a little over 24 hours now.

Build/Look:
It feels pretty solid. The only issues I have are the power cord rattles a bit, but is very secure nonetheless. And the keyboard bangs a little bit. But I don't feel like anything is cheap or will break any time soon. Everything else about it feels very tight and well put together.Even though it's thin, I don't feel like it will snap in half or anything. As far as the look, I don't think it looks bad, but doesn't wow me either.

If the screen happens to be displaying something entirely white or bright, and while viewing from an odd angle, there are some (very) slight defects in the screen. Most notably there is a "dark" spot. and you can sometimes see the lights from within the screen. It sort of looks like you can see the LED's lighting up the screen. I notice this on the bottom left of the screen.
These faults are not very noticeable, enough so that I feel no need to return it or get another brand/model.

Also be aware, the screen has a black edge around it. At first I though i needed to change my screen settings, but I believe that edge is there for a reason. This is where you swipe to access certain areas in windows. However, I measured, and looks as though the 14 inch screen size is in fact the viewable portion.

Battery:
With light-moderate use (web browsing etc) i seem to be getting >5-5.5 hours of battery time. This AMD processor is energy efficient and can vary it's speed to accommodate what you are doing. If you were doing a lot of graphics processing this will likely decrease. It seems to be taking >~3 hours to completely charge.

Performance:
The touch screen works very well. It responds quickly and accurately enough. My only complaint is the screen is "rough" or a bit "sticky". As my finger oils have stuck to it this has improved, but now I am torn between wanting to clean it or just leave it be.
I haven't tried to play any graphics intensive games on it so I cannot comment there.
Since windows 8 uses this "App" ideology to running programs in the "Metro" area, I am glad I have 6GB of memory, since apps are left open in the background unless you close them. And you have to take special action to do so. But i can switch between programs and apps quickly and accurately.

You can change between apps by using the touchpad as well. This is done be quickly swiping left-right-left, and making sure that your finger goes off of the "textured" part of the pad. This is difficult to explain but may make sense if you see it. I also discovered this by accident, and was a bit annoying at first.

Speakers:
I am an audiophile so I don't even consider laptop speakers to be in the running of anything worthy for my ears. But they are terrible. They would be fine for watching news video clips or something, but would otherwise be useless.

Windows 8:
in case anyone is worried about it.
I like it. I am a long time Linux/Windows user. There is some learning curve, but I have found it to be exciting learning how to use it. This computer comes with a Windows 8 cheat sheet which has been useful. So you may want to look at it since some things, while easy, are not intuitive. I actually like how some of the "apps" have been designed to work with the touch screen, and have resorted to using the netflix, amazon app etc. instead of looking through the browser. And it's easy to switch to the traditional desktop and use it like you're used to. I have even found it a bit easier than windows 7 to find certain settings (control panel etc).

This computer is installed with windows 8.0, You will need to install windows 8.1 through the windows app store. This adds the "start" button to the desktop mode, and allows you to pull up two apps at once and use them in split screen.

I hope my review is accurate. This is the first laptop I have bought in a long time, so my standards could be off from most people's. But I like it so far, and will update this review if anything comes up.
on March 18, 2014
Verified Purchase
I am a software developer and needed a budget laptop that had some horsepower and reliability. I needed at least 6 GB of RAM and wanted over 500 GB storage space, I found this bad body for $425 Refurbished and man it sure is everything I needed and then some. The trackpad is decent, the touchscreen works as it should and I can have Visual Studio, Sql Server Management Studio, and IIS Express all running (these all consume lots of memory and cpu power) at the same time without any problems. I recommend this over all the Acer/ASUS/Gateway laptops in this price range, I've had enough of them to know HP is usually built just a little bit better.
on February 8, 2014
Verified Purchase
This computer is very compact, lightweight and feels high quality. The touch screen works very well and it is fast but I cannot get used to windows 8. It is the worst operating system I have ever tried to use.

UPDATE April 25th 2014. I have installed the Windows update and like it much better now. It is a great computer.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 9, 2014
Just got mine from Tiger direct. Within a day the display developed an intermittent defect, if you move the lid, or try to move the laptop by grabbing by one side of the base the displays may go completely white, sometimes it goes white by itself and doesn't recover until you close/open the lid several times.The defect appears to be mechanical-electrical(a hardware). I looked it up online, it appears to be a common defect in this model. I'm not surprised here, - the HP manufacturing quality has been steadily declining over the years. I got caught on a very good specs and the price.
on January 17, 2014
FULL SPECS SEE NOW>

Product Name

14-f027cl

Product Number E0K22UA
Microprocessor 1.7GHz up to 2.7GHz AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-5545M Accelerated Processor
Microprocessor Cache 4MB L2 Cache
Memory 6GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM)
Memory Max Maximum supported = 8GB
Memory Slots 2 user accessible
Video Graphics AMD Radeon HD 8510G graphics with up to 3182MB total graphics memory
Display 14.0-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit touchscreen display (1366 x 768)
Hard Drive 640GB 5400RPM hard drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
Network Card 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
Wireless Connectivity 1x1 802.11b/g/n WLAN

1 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0

1 HDMI

1 RJ-45 (LAN)

1 Headphone-out/microphone-in combo jack
Dimensions 0.85 in (max H) x 13.66 in (W) x 9.41 in (D)
Weight 4.70 lb
Power 65W AC adapter

4-cell 41WHr 2.8Ah lithium-ion battery
ID Mech Description Front facing HP TrueVision HD Webcam with integrated dual array digital microphone
____________________________________________________________________

I fully back up Michael A Obranovich's review, most if not all the points he mentioned was accurate and very helpful for those seeking a balanced insight into this HP miniNotebook. Those in the market for portability/battery and uncompromising versatility compute(horse) power without the heavy price tag. (ie: laptops with Intel Haswell CPU) balancing value and functionality is important ( and as a sensible consumer, Mike knows his stuff) you'd should put this notebook among your "to be considered" list.
I'd say "consider list" only because a much bigger 1TB Hard Drive and additional 2GB of RAM would definitely holds more value if still <$550 price point.

Now here's my own little take on current Notebook market going forward to 2014 in general concerning Mainstream Tier Windows 8.1 Laptops(not related to HP product above).

For under $600
1) I would expect full 8GB memory, and Touchscreen feature should be included at that price point or else you're just not getting the bang for your buck.
2) Consider AMD (especially Elite quad A8-A10 APU) or wait for new line of even more serious bang for your buck notebooks being released rather soon under AMD's new Kaveri APU!
3) MISSING POTENTIAL: Those looking for small form factors of 14" or less screen size and portability then its even more of a reason to avoid over paying Intel Haswell notebooks and in doing so you'll have higher tiered parts in the price range you're shopping for. ie (6gb to +8gb) (<1TB to 1TB Hybrid drives) (no Bluetooth to BT included) (from no backlit keyboard to illuminated keys) (from basic capable to touchscreen)(from resolution 720 to 1080) (from 1 or zero USB3.0 ports to 2 or MORE usb 3.0 available inputs) (from basic wireless 802.11 N to AC capable) (from without a Disc drive to included Rewritable capable BluRay Drive) etc.

4) FUN : With current APU from AMD, even budget notebooks are now capable on delivering gaming opportunity without dedicated graphics chips. Meaning the mainstream/casual notebook user which is also the bulk of consumer market, are now equipped to explore casual gaming. In years past, the mainstream notebook market ($599 below notebooks) are challenged with incompatibility due to intergraded graphics solutions. But this current generation of AMD A8-10 budget APUs, it already comes with a very capable graphics solution. and in 2014's AMD graphics upgrade offerings based on Kaveri line of APUs, it will only get significantly better for the mainstream notebook category.

So go ahead and download the PC equivalent to an Apps Store at Steampowered.com and install the client market and download some games and see for yourself.
There's a ton of indie games, Free to Play Massively Multiplayer games, and the usual Xbox360/PS3 console ports. dota 2, Lord of the Rings Online MMO, XCOM, The Walking Dead, CIV V, Conan unchained MMO LOL,WOW...etc
5) DISPLAY: So far all ive talked about are specs on paper. Next decision you must diligently consider and certaily not avoid is screen quality of the product. Most LCD touch screens on the market or LCDs in mainstream market budget category, plain SUCKS. Honestly its a deal breaker for me. Personally Ive turned down a perfectly spec. featured PC / price point due to the horrible color representation on the screen. One difficult aspect of purchasing a PC compared to Macs I noticed is the lack of information regarding screen so research and look at the current offerings from various manufacturers at the store in person.
6) COMMON: Be wary of outdated notebook mode models on store shelves (Intel or AMD based). This really depends on how diligently your local Electronic stores refreshes their stock. You don't want to get suckered into paying full price for a model that's been updated by the manufacture/industry months ago but since your local Best Buy has poor turnover or just bad inventory management. Which also brings me to my no.7 tip on buying a computer

7) Research the most current models of CPU(Intel)/APU(AMD) currently being offered by these two industry leaders.
8) Or just give up and buy a MacBook Air.
9) I'm kidding
10) Goodluck with the search for your own perfectly preference Personal Computer notebook machine. And ill say again, those consumers in need for extended productive battery life or a student on a budget... manufacturers will be releasing their lines of AMD Kaveri APU based notebooks.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The Touchscreen broke after a couple of months. I sent it back to HP for repair and when I got it back... it broke again... this time the keyboard went bad. I sent it back again. The quality of HP computers has really gone downhill.

One big problem with the design is that the power cord that plugs into the computer is at a right angle, and if you barely touch the cord, it pops out enough that it doesn't get power. The battery life is also very poor.

I would stay away from this model like the plague!
on November 19, 2014
Verified Purchase
Much slower performance than anticipated. Purchased as a PC for school work for middle school student. It is functional but probably would have spent a few more bucks for better performance.
on December 16, 2014
Verified Purchase
FIne lightweight unit. Nice display, good keyboard, lots of disc space, Low cost. What's not to like? The only thing I hate is Windows 8 (what a dung pile) but that's not HP's fault.
on November 21, 2014
Verified Purchase
DO NOT BUY THIS! BROKE WITHIN TWO WEEKS. SELLER REFUSED TO EVEN ANSWER. AMAZON REFUSED TO HELP. JUST BURN YOUR MONEY IT WILL BE FASTER AND PROVIDE A SMALL AMOUNT OF WARMTH
on January 7, 2015
Verified Purchase
Got here quickly! I was nervous something was bound to be wrong since I have never bought anything this expensive online but everything is 100% legit!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations