5.0 out of 5 stars Great Excellent affordable HP monitor! That Rocks!
Published 16 months ago by Jsun76

3.0 out of 5 stars Average
I fiddled with the settings quite a bit but the colors and brightness looked just okay to me. I think for the money most people will be happy with this monitor but I wasn't. I returned it and got the Dell S2340M 293M3-IPS-LED 23-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor and colors and brightness were great right out of the box.
Published 1 month ago by Marshall

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Excellent affordable HP monitor! That Rocks!, March 25, 2013
This review is from: HP Pavilion 27xi 27-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor (Personal Computers)
Most people will start the battle of "this is not a 2540x1440 display and only 1080 for a 27" is not good enough." First I will say I have now owned both and that's nonsense. Some people may like the added real estate of a higher resolution screen sure but also at the cost of everything being so small it's hard to read. No I'm not old but a young adult with good eyesight. I like the 25040x1440 displays for there clarity, but not the expense they carry. This is where the HP 27xi comes in.

This monitor is clearly an apple style copy. The monitor is stylish thin and I like that the port hookups on the back as they are not facing down as most monitors. So this makes hookup extremely easy. The monitor also tilts up and down, but can not be adjusted height wise.

the colors are vibrant and sharp and really pop, with plenty of contrast and brightness. It does have a gloss screen which is different from the smaller hp xi screens, which I like. The gloss seems to make the darks darker and more crisp. Text and graphics look excellent. Also this display has very low input lag so hooking up a game console it displayed great performance.

At 27" the resolution on this monitor is very good. There is no jagged or loss of DPI. There was no dead pixels on my display and all the needed cables were included. To get the best picture out of this display insure it is being hooked up to a digital DVI video card or by HDMI.

For the price, picture quality, and overall awsome-ness of this monitor it's really a no brainer! Get one before the price goes up!

I want another one, but I just don't think I have the room... 27" is Outstanding to use. Thanks Amazon and HP

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY nice monitor ... after tune up!, October 23, 2013
I never seen this monitor in real life, and bought it after careful sorting through the available reviews. And I was able to get enough info to make decision. I got HP27xi just a week ago, and I already know that it's definitely a keeper.

Well, originally, I was going to give it 4 stars for very jagged edges of the fonts on the screens/menus and in browser(s). Then I realized that I forgot to check settings on the monitor itself. Sure, enuf - on the Monitor menu, under the Image Control I found a setting called SHARPNESS. :] By default it was set to "4", which apparently is too strong and causing fonts to appear "pixelized", which many reviewers immediately were tagging this monitor as defective. Some other reviewers saying that it has "large pixels"... oh, my! No, it doesn't. Not larger than other monitors (just plain funny to me ! :)because most of the LCD/LED panels are made by 3-4 "large manufacturers" like LG, Samsung and of course, Mr. Generic)

With this HP, like with any other monitor - you MUST adjust it to display stuff correctly. Things like pictures and video must be tuned up separately. So, here what I can advice if this monitor will be used with Windows 7 PC/desktop. And Control Panel for Windows 8 is not that different.

PS: before you do anything - please, make sure that you have connected monitor with provided DVI cable! (or HDMI cable, not provided) Just do not use VGA cable... ever ... again. With VGA cable you will see ~30% less than this monitor can do. Your graphics card is VGA only? Time to get new one, with DVI/HDMI out.

Settings on Monitor itself:
- Go to Menu and set Brightness to ~90 - if you like it brighter - go for 100! :)
- Contrast ~90
- Image Control / Sharpness - set to 1 (or 2 max!)
I left everything else at default, for now.

Settings in Windows 7.
- Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Performance Information and Tools and go to ADJUST VISUAL EFFECTS link. Then on popup "Visual Effects" make sure that option "Smooth edges of screen fonts" is checked. Personally, I have all options checked, except of option "Show translucent selection rectangle" - don't like it! And I have unchecked all 3 options to "Animate" things too.
- Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display - - you can play with option "Calibrate color".
- Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display - - you can fine tune fonts using "Adjust Clear Type text" (make sure that if you running this feature, "Turn on Clear Type" check box is checked !!! - it improves fonts a lot)
- Most important adjustments you can make in your graphics card Properties.
I have AMD Radeon HD6700 series card and it has Catalyst control panel allowing me to adjust Desktop graphics and Video color settings. I finished tune up using this utility. If you have nVidia card - it also has similar tool. If you can't locate it on your computer, you may simply never installed it, or have basic (generic) video driver provided by Windows 7 / Microsoft. If you download and install latest video package for your graphic card from nVidia / AMD site - you will get the latest driver and couple extra utilities. One of them will give you more control over graphics and colors. Use it to adjust them to make all close to your taste as possible. I can't help you with exact settings, it is too subjective and too specific for your computer configuration. You have to do it yourself.
Possible useful settings you need to touch are:
- Brightness
- Contrast
- Saturation
- Gamma
- Color Vibrance (careful with this one, adjust only if you have to or, only a bit)
- Flesh tone correction (careful with this one, adjust only if you have to or, only a bit)
- Whiter Whites (careful with this one, adjust only if you have to or, only a bit)
- Dynamic Range (careful with this one, adjust only if you have to or, only a bit)

You may need to do that couple times, to make it right and final. But in return, you will get VERY nice reward - very pretty picture and video on LED lit monitor. I also have 15" MacBook Pro laptop, which IMHO has the most perfectly calibrated "factory" graphics settings you can imagine, and need nothing what I mentioned above. And HP27xi monitor in my setup, and after tune up is almost perfectly matching it. Almost... MacBook Pro still is a tad better :] ha ha! But, I'm very happy with this monitor and I can highly recommend it.

Hope this helps to understand basics of how to do it right, and eliminate confusion.

By the way, that "hard work" of adjustments explained above and to some point mentioned in other reviews on Amazon, is necessary for ANY new monitor, if you want to get 100% from it! And also, having GOOD VIDEO CARD with the latest driver will make huge difference. If you have old and underperfoming video card - you will miss a lot, and this will be not a monitor problem! Also, if you are using so called "on board" video graphics (usually made by Intel) - this can be a bottleneck too. Better, to invest $100-150 in standalone graphic card. This will significantly improve colors and other stuff. Even may improve overall computer performance.

Good day!

UPDATE: one week later and after everyday use - I like it even more. Very pleasant on eyes. And now is 10 bucks less.
Just an observation: it looks like ASUS is using the same LCD panel and hardware to make his model ASUS MX279H, which even looks very similar to this HP, but costs a little more - 330.

UPDATE 2: LOVE IT!
I think, it easily [almost] matching Apple's 900 bucks monitor! VERY pleasant on my eyes. And anyone who spends a lots of time in front of the computer will understand how this is important .... the monitor, which is gentle on your eyes. :) Seriously! it is very good. And yes, at Costco, you can get it for 220. Forget those "black Fridays" get the best right now! :)
PS: use DVI-D cable for best results!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding cheapo Thunderbolt alternative, October 16, 2013
After much umming and erring, I went ahead and got this as a cheapo alternative to the Apple Thunderbolt display. I'm not a huge HP fan, but thought to give it a shot. I went for the 25" display as I have the 27" Dell which although is great I find it overwhelming sometimes and really takes over the living room (although the screen size is amazing for working when having multiple documents open for work).
The monitor arrived today, I've unpacked it and plugged my Macbook pro and the screen is outstanding. Sure the display may not be as high-res as the Thunderbolt, but at almost one quarter of the price, this thing is amazing. I love Apple products but at some point it gets frustrating spending $$$ to buy peripherals.

The HP monitor comes with a CD-rom but my Macbook doesn't have this drive. Not to worry - it works right away as plug and play and when you go to display settings, it has already detected the HP monitor and adjusted the resolution accordingly. I like the touch controls on the brushed aluminium panel.

Overall, absolutely delighted. And I can use some of the $$ I saved to get some decent bluetooth speakers!

Update Dec 11th: I recently got the 27" thunderbolt at work (I use the 25" HP monitor at home) and although the thunderbolt is beautifully designed, a LOT more heavy and sturdy (and has the benefit of being able to charge the laptop directly), this HP screen is superb value for money. The lower resolution of the HP is hardly noticeable (albeit there). I would certainly buy this monitor again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Difference, March 22, 2013
I ordered this monitor Wed 20 March with free shipping and received it Fri 22 March. That was the first surprise. The shipped box was plain, with no marking, which was good for peering eyes, as the box itself is very attractive and descriptive. The packing was well done and I was surprised as to how light this monitor was. I have, by past purchases, all HP monitors, including a 22", 24" and 25". I just love their brightscreen technology, as it really adds depht to the screen with more vivid colors. I expected no less from this one, plus better picture quality from the previous three that I also am still using. Well, HP did it again! Removing the monitor from its enclosure, I saw a truly work of art. Beautifully designed, expensive look to it, the almost borderless screen is a big difference from the past designs. The brushed aluminum bottom panel really stands out and puts it in a class of its own. The capacitive touch OSD controls are invisible untill you swipe your finger across, then from within. 5 lighted controls show up. So sensitive and addding to its futuristic look. The power light remains on but you might be able to turn it off with the OSD,
Setting up was easy as pie, place the two base components in their slot, tighten one screw, insert monitor till you hear the click, and voila! I appreciate the external power supply, as it is far easier to replace, if needed, rather than returning the entire monitor. OK, so it gets a +10 out of +10 for aesthetics (though still no height adjustment), now for what it is inted to do, the picture. Holding my breath, I gently touched the power button and the new world of IPS was before me. Yes, it is everything HP claims. The colors are more vivid and deeper AND more precise. Viewing angle, which is of no concern to me, is without variation from extreme left, right and up. Concerned about possible input lag, I went through a barrage of fast action FPS games. BF3, COD Black Ops 2, X-Plane 10 64 bit, Skyrim, and other of lesses action but beautiful graphics such as Tomb Raider, Far Cry 3, Sniper Ghost Warrior 2. If there was lag, I did not notice. I observed no ghosting, no backlight leak,and NO DEAD PIXELS! The text really stands out now in a deep pure black, the calibration screen showed no anomalities and the light to dark gray and color scales were all there, smoothly blending into each other as you would see in a rainbows prismatic effect. I had to make no adjustments at all with the exception of placing the Gamma to the "off" position to lessen the brightness and amplifying the black to white contrast. The Enhance+ option was too sharp, but I did not try it on Movies. My only caveat at this time is trying to get the "HP My Display" to run. I keep getting Windows error that it was terminated and unable to execute for whatever reason. No biggie, will call HP.
So, a real bargain which exceeded all my expectations. Yes, this would suffice for photowork. I cannot stop looking at it. Glad I did not buy a low priced 2550x1440 korean monitor with no warranty. However, the Nexius 27" (probably mispelled the name) that Amazon also sells really looks promising. Might go for that also. You will not be disappointed with the 27XI. There is no apparent visual clarity loss due to the fact that the same amont of pixels are in the 24" models, since they are both 1920x1024 I was afraid I would see the spacing, but I sit app 2 feet from monitor and see only crisp, clear picture.The stand tilts and also is attractive. No wobble. I highly recommend this for all gamers and even photoshop users. Cannot do better for this price range.
If you prefer matte screen, than Amazon also has the 27" AOC model which is almost a copy of this one. It wil not disappoint!

5.0 out of 5 stars very good ips monitor, April 17, 2013
This is a very good ips monitor. I am a gamer and have noticed no motion blur/ghosting or any problems with color uniformity. Its ips, so there are no viewing angle issues. There is no light bleed as with most TN panels. The only negative I can give this monitor is the glossy screen. Sure it looks great when the monitor is off, but you do get some reflections when viewing darker images (hold your cell phone up where you keep your monitor to get an idea). Hp tried to address this by using a lower reflective materiel, but this simply took away some of the contrast. The contrast is not a problem though. Instead of keeping contrast around 50% and adjusting brightness to comfortable level, you leave brightness around 50% and adjust contrast to comfort level (leave Gamma correction off or at low). For me, this resulted in a second to none image quality. The colors pop (vibrancy is unbelievable), blacks are black, and whites are white without being overbearing. I don't know how to explain it, but, there is a depth to the color that a TN display simply lacks.

As far as resolution goes.....please...Your HD TV is either 720p or 1080p. This is a 1080p monitor (1920x1080 resolution). You just don't need anymore in a sub 30" monitor. Yes, higher resolutions do give you more on screen real-estate, but it is at the expense of size of the on screen images. Also, the higher the resolution, the stronger the graphics card has to be to support it. This is simple physics, higher resolutions mean more dots per inch on the screen. More dots per inch on the screen means the graphics card has to push more dots per inch per frame displayed. Unless you regularly view text at 6pts or smaller, you will not notice any distortion whatsoever.

The monitor has all the standard connections; vga, hdmi, and dvi,. It does not have speakers (not a con as monitor speakers are notoriously bad anyway). It is also not VESA mount compatible. This is due to the orientation of the jacks on the back. They face out instead of down making it easier to connect your video cable. This is an odd engineering decision since you will connect the cable once and probably never touch it again!! Would have made much more sense to aim them down and include a VESA mount option.

This monitor is also one of the most power efficient monitors in its class. Listed power draw ranges from 29.2w (default on) to 35w max brightness.

The stand does allow some wobble, but not overly much.

The OSD can be a little clunky to navigate, but after a few go rounds you will have it pretty much mastered. While I prefer the custom setting, the text setting also looked good once you adjust the green down just a little.

Minor niggles aside, this is an awesome ips monitor, especially when you factor in the price. I will suggest this monitor to everyone I know.....it is that good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Freakin amazing...., March 21, 2013
If you like the look of a Mac monitor, then you will love this.

PRO's:
1) Glossy Screen!
- The color and picture looks so awesome. I know some people hate them, so if you don't like them, you won't like this. I don't really notice it, and I sit next to a window. A good example is to go check out the iMac screens. If it will be about the same glare. (Except those are usually right under bright lights, so its usually better at your house)

2)IPS Panel.
- Color is astounding! No backlight bleeding whatsoever.

3) Viewing Angles!
- "I see everything" ....there are no non-viewable angles.

4) great frame!
- Its a silver frame, and its almost seamless. It does not rise up and down, which is a bummer, but it does tilt. Lightweight.

5) Soft-White Touch Menu/Power Buttons.
- For those picky people, you can actually turn off the power button led. Me, I prefer blazing light raves going on in my office, so I prefer it on. ;)

CON's:
1) No Height Adjustment.
2) No built-in speakers.
3) I don't think it came with a cable. (I can't remember)

4.0 out of 5 stars Missing a couple features at this price point, October 21, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I recently bought a VE248 from Asus, and now have this monitor. Compared to the Asus, this HP is missing a couple features. It does have a larger screen, and a higher quality screen, but I'd like a couple more things at this price level - tilt and Displayport connectivity.

Pros:
- The screen. My goodness, it's gorgeous. Deep colors, viewing angles from virtually everywhere, and clear, crisp text. No dead pixels or other issues, either.
- It was set up right out of the box. No need to fiddle with calibration, colors, or anything else. It just worked, and worked well.
- The thin bezel, along with the shapely stand, create a striking piece in the middle of my desk at work.

Cons:
- Lack of Displayport - at this price level, it should be included. Does have DVI, VGA, and HDMI, but my laptop only has VGA and Displayport. Thankfully, my dock has HDMI (I do realize there are cables for that, but why should I have to?)
- Poor/minimal tilt. I have a stand up desk, and would like to tilt this back or forward for the best viewing angle. Unfortunately, it is limited and tilts only a small amount. My 10 year old Dell monitors had this feature. Why couldn't/wouldn't HP include it?
- If you're in a bright room, forget it. The screen is extra glossy, and will reflect everything on earth. It creates a better picture than my matte Asus, but it can be distracting in some rooms or situations.

Overall, high marks due to the beautiful screen and viewing angles, with one star knocked off for the tilt and displayport missing. They really could have been included rather easily on a monitor at this price point.

4.0 out of 5 stars 23xi vs 25xi - Matte vs glossy, January 18, 2014
SpeedingCheetah (St. Louis Park, MN) - See all my reviews
I have a triple monitor setup....with this 25xi and a 23xi on either side of it.

This is the glossiest screen I have ever seen. The glossy 25xi does have more clarity and images and colors "pop" more. However, the screen is VERY gossy. Its like a mirror. When I have my other screens on, especially when I have a bright white page displayed or explorer window open, reflections with the 25xi is noticeable. If i have a light on behind the screen, especially with dark scenes....its like a mirror. I used to use a HP 2511x, which also is glossy, but not nearly as glossy as the 25xi.

The 23xi has a heavy matte finish...a bit too thick. It does a very good job in preventing reflections, but does seem to make blacks more gray and has a slight "fuzz" effect overall. The 23xi seems brighter to me that the 25xi, even though they are rated the same (250). I can turn down the brightness of the 23xi to 70 and that matches the level of the 25xi on 100. However, my 2511x and my w2371d screens are noticeably brighter than these 2 models(and they are rated the same 250cd). (maybe a difference in TN vs IPS)

The touch interface of the 25xi, isn't the worst i have used....I despise touch controls..much prefer the physical buttons on the 23xi. The actual menus are the same for both models.

I love the sharpness on both models, sharpest screens I have used. It goes up to 6. Other HP models I have only go to 5. Setting max sharpness looks amazing for media playback, but you will probably want to use 4 or 5 for regular computer use, as text gets jagged at higher levels.

Color tone, for both models is very much red by default. I use my screens in a dark or dim lit room. I prefer a cool temp, but not blue. The default color presets are terribly harsh to me. (forget the HP enhance+ and other QuickView settings....are horrible). I use text preset, which allows you to set custom RGB color settings. I use 144,175,255 (25xi) and 155,179,248 (23xi).

I do find the 23xi to be a bit more accurate with color tone and saturation. For both models, adjust the "Gamma" setting to Off for the best contrast ratio(default is medium and makes black gray).

View angles: The heavy matte finish of the 23xi hurts the viewing angles. The 25xi has notably better angles and much less darkening effect. Although, both screens do darken considerably when u look at them from a raised angle, where as they don't when looking from a lower angle. Infact, looking from a slight downward angle up to the screen helps with the backlight bleed being noticed in dark scenes as opposed from the normal straight on view. Also, view angles aren't much better than from my 2511x (TN) screen. But the 23/25xi is a budget IPS panel, so I didn't expect to much.

Some backlight bleed is normal. All my screens have bleed from the bottom, especially from the corners. I had to send for replacement for the 25xi due to excessive bleed in the bottom mid section of the screen. I also had to send for replacment for one of my 23xi due to 3 groups of stuck pixels(with a black background, you could see these red finger print like spots on the bottom). Replacements screens have no issues. I have read some reviews of these models dying or developing lines shortly after the 1yr warranty expires. Hopefully, I won't have issues.

I don't understand why wall mount support can't be standard. I did find a custom mount plate adapter for my 2511x screen on ebay and that works great. No luck for the 23/25xi models.

The stands on both isnt the best. Screen wobbles when u press the buttons.

Overall, I like the 25xi for watching tv and other media,(as long as your environment is free of reflection causing sources.) but I prefer the matte 23xi for other computer use. And, it does kinda bug me that the 23xi still looks brighter to me. But for the price, they both are very good deals for an IPS screen and well worth the upgrade. I got these on sale and made my money back by selling my other TN screens(which I actually paid more for last year).

Think about it....matte vs glossy? Go buy a matte screen protector and stick it to you eyeglasses....then u will see the effect that matte screens have to the original image and light. (Kinda makes me think of the "Clear Eyes" commercial.) But that being said....there are anti-reflective coatings that can be applied (and are on most mid to high end lenses) that are clear and not matte but still reduces glare and reflections. However, this 25xi has none of that...it is very much like a mirror.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Monitor I have ever owned! Great color and clarity at a low price., February 26, 2013
I purchase purchased and had to return 4 monitors before I got this one. I purchased an ACER which had strong LED bleed though on all sides, then I purchased a Samsung and there was bleed though on 2 sides, after that I went for two LGs and the first one did not have support for it in the US and I could not even register it on LGs website because it was not listed, I then purchased another LG and this one was good in most ways but it was cloudy.
I saw the New HP Pavilion 27xi and thought I would give it a try, because I have owned HP in the past and was happy with them. After setting it up it took me less than 20 minutes to calibrate it, while it took over 2 hours to calibrate the LGs because of the cloudiness. After calibration it displayed a great picture with great clarity and color. It is also great with dark colors and black backgrounds which was the problem with the other monitors. Great monitor and great price!

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is A 7 Star Monitor For 300 Bucks, July 13, 2013
I have a 15.6" HP Probook laptop, and plugged this monitor into it. I went to this monitor from an HP 23 inch HD monitor that I bought this past spring because I'm now subscribed to Netflix and have my setup sitting on the coffee table. I sleep on the sofa, and bought this monitor because I can lay back on the sofa and watch Netflix and YouTube videos better than on the 23 inch monitor. Let me say that this is a beautiful top notch monitor for $300.

There are some misleading comments about this monitor including some negative comments from web site reviewers (One biased web site reviewer might think that an Apple Thunderbird monitor is the only worthy monitor in the world to buy) Let me clear this up....first the base and stand have metal in them and are covered with sturdy plastic with a solid feel (More solid than my HP 23 inch monitor)and the monitor doesn't have a cheap feel to it.

This 27xi is a work of art....the screen goes all the way to the corners with only 1/8 inch black matte plastic border around the edges and top. Otherwise, it is all Screen and looks like border-less black glass when turned off and is only 1/2 inch thick. One reviewer claimed that the diagonal image doesn't go to the complete edges, which gave me the impression that the actual diagonal screen area must be less than 27 inches. But...the image area is actually 27 inches from corner to corner and has a 1/2 inch black border in the glass all the way around the edges. Then you have the 1/8 inch plastic border around the outer edges.

"1080p isn't enough resolution for 27 inches." OR "It is only 1080p so that isn't not enough for 27 inches." Well....

....the screen resolution is the same as smaller screens with the same 1080p quality, and is high enough for my own use of $300 :) The picture quality is beautiful and has the same quality as my 23 inch HD monitor, except the picture is bigger. The dots on the screen are the same, and are hardly noticeable a foot away. I mean like...if you are really into screen dots, look at the screen about 3 inches away. In my case, I always had (and liked) non-glare screens, but the reflection on this one is no problem.

"No VESA mount"....If I would want to put this monitor up on the wall, I could go to a store like Home Depot and buy the wood, hardware, paint or stain and build a wall sconce to sit the monitor on. Depending on how I would design it, there are also other items such as plants, figurines, etc. that could be put on the sconce as well. The monitor tilts down slightly and tilts up.

So if you want a higher resolution 27 inch monitor, be prepared to spend a lot more for it. But I'd think the screen should look twice as good. And if you want an Apple monitor for 900 bucks, you should hope it looks three times as good for three times the price.

For anyone who may not know.....HDMI and DVI produce the same results with a digital signal. Both will produce a High Definition picture. But HDMI carries sound with it also whereas DVI doesn't. Since this monitor does not have speakers, it doesn't matter if the input is HDMI or DVI....use which ever plug and settings is available to you, or use the old school standard definition of a VGA connection. I'm glad to have this monitor which doesn't have speakers because it lowers it's cost to buy. For sound, I plug into the headphone output on the front of the laptop and run the plug to my computer speakers (Altec Lansing Octane 7 system with sub-woofer) In addition I have wireless RF headphones connected to the system for night time listening.

So yes, it is worth 300 all mighty's to me.

Rate and Discover Movies