HP A1730N Pavilion Desktop. Only HP PCs are built with the SuperMulti DVD Burner that includes LightScribe Technology. LightScribe lets you laser etch silkscreen quality text and image on to CDs and DVDs, creating lasting laser etched silkscreen quality images. It is easy to create personalized labels on your discs with your own text, photos or designs. Just burn, flip, burn. After you burn content on the disc, just flip the disc over, reinsert and burn your label anything from a simple title to a full disc work of art. HP personal computers deliver the features you need to get the most from Windows Vista. Together, HP and Windows Vista provide intuitive system control, powerful search and organization, and more security when you go online.
The HP Pavilion a1730n comes loaded with the all tools you need to easily create, manage, share, and enjoy your digital photos, home videos, movies, and music. You can easily burn your home video productions to DVD for friends and family with the dual-layer, multi-format DVD/CD burner, which enables you to store up to 8.5 GB of data on a DL disc and provides a super-fast 16x DVD+R/-R write speed. It also includes LightScribe technology for personalized silkscreen-quality, laser-etched CD/DVD labels created right in the drive.
This desktop is powered by the 2.4 GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ dual-core processor, which increases the efficiency and speed of the PC while running multiple programs and the latest multi-threaded software. Store more music, videos, and data on the very roomy 320 GB Serial ATA hard drive, which offers fast transfer rates. It also comes loaded with 1 GB of RAM (which can be bumped up to 4 GB), an integrated Nvidia GeForce 6150 video/graphics card with 128 MB of dedicated video RAM, a wide variety of connection ports on both the front and rear of the box, a 9-in-1 memory card reader, and a built-in drive bay for an optional HP Pocket Media Drive.
It comes preinstalled with Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium, which includes all of the Windows Media Center capabilities for turning your PC into an all-in-one home entertainment center. In addition to easily playing your DVD movies and managing your digital audio library, you'll be able to record and watch your favorite TV shows (even HDTV). Vista also integrates new search tools throughout the operating system, includes new parental control features, and offers new tools that can warn you of impending hardware failures.
Video & Audio
- Processor: AMD's Athlon 64 X2 4600+ dual-core processor is built for tomorrow's 64-bit applications, which will require a processor with significant power. It outperforms the highest-performing AMD Athlon 64 4000+ single-core processor on multi-tasking benchmarks by up to 30 percent. Dual-core technology is like having two processors working together, each one taking care of different applications, so power-users actually experience greater performance when multiple applications are running. Digital media enthusiasts will appreciate the enhancements while simultaneously working in high-definition video and photo editing and audio mixing programs. It includes such AMD features as HyperTransport Technology (which increases the communication between integrated circuits) and Enhanced Virus Protection.
This 2.4 GHz processor offers a system bus with speeds up to a blazing 2000 MHz and each core offers a 512 KB L2 cache--for a 1 MB total. (An L2, or secondary, cache temporarily stores data; and a larger L2 cache can help speed up your system's performance. The FSB carries data between the CPU and RAM, and a faster front-side bus will deliver better overall performance.)
- Hard Drive: The huge 320 GB Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive (7200 RPM) offers a wealth of storage space, perfect for storing a vast multimedia collection or for editing digital video. This SATA hard drive also quickens the pace with a higher speed transfer of data--akin to FireWire and USB 2.0.
- Memory: The 2 GB of installed RAM (PC4200, 2 x 1024 MB, 533 MHz) is a very good start, but you'll want to add more RAM to handle today's demanding multimedia and gaming software. This desktop has a 4 GB maximum RAM capacity (4 x 1 GB), perfect for high-def video and 3-D gaming.
- DVD/CD Drive: This multiformat DVD/CD drive is compatible with writing both DVD+ and DVD- disc formats as well as dual-layer (DL) DVD+/-R discs, which can store up to 8.5 GB of data. It features 4x DVD-R DL Write Once, 8x DVD+R DL Write Once, 16x DVD+R, 8x DVD+RW, 16x DVD-R, 6x DVD-RW, 5x DVD-RAM, 40x CD-R, 32x CD-RW write speeds and 40x CD-ROM, and 16x DVD-ROM read speeds.
This LightScribe DVD+/-RW drive lets you laser-etch silkscreen quality text and images on to CDs and DVDs . Your software, PC and discs work together for a no-hassle way to burn just the labels you want. After you burn content, just flip the disc over, reinsert and burn your label--anything from a simple title to a full-disc work of art.
- Keyboard & Mouse: It comes with an HP multimedia keyboard and scroller mouse (both with PS/2 connections).
This desktop features an integrated Nvidia GeForce 6150LE graphics/video card with 128 MB of dedicated graphics memory. Windows Vista can also allocate up to 319 MB of total graphics memory from the system memory. It features Nvidia's PureVideo technology--which provides great picture clarity, smooth video, accurate color, and precise image scaling for video content--and full support for Microsoft DirectX 9.0 for stunningly realistic cinematic effects for all DirectX-compatible applications. It also offers an integrated audio card that can produce high definition surround sound configurable to 8 speakers.
Networking, Connectivity & Expansion
For expansion, this desktop has three PCI slots (two available), one PCI Express slot (available), two 5.25-inch external bays (one available), one external 3.5-inch bay (occupied), one internal 3.5-inch bay (occupied), and one HP Pocket Media Drive bay (available). It comes with a built-in floppy drive and the following external connectors:
- 6 USB 2.0 ports for connecting a wide range of peripherals--from digital cameras to MP3 players (2 in front, 4 in rear)
- 2 FireWire (also known as IEEE 1394 or i.Link) port for connecting digital video camcorders and other peripherals (1 in front, 1 in rear)
- 2 PS/2 ports for connecting keyboards and mice
- 1 VGA monitor port
- 2 headphone and 2 microphone (front and rear)
- 2 line-in (front and rear)
- Surround sound speaker outputs (rear/side/center (subwoofer)
- 9-in-1 media card reader on the front, compatible with CompactFlash (Type I and II), MicroDrive, SmartMedia, Memory Stick/Memory Stick Pro, MultiMedia Card, Secure Digital, and XD Picture Card
It also has an integrated 56K modem (V.90) and an RJ-45 LAN network port (for a 10/100 Ethernet connection to networks and DSL/cable modems).
Windows Vista Home Premium is the operating system for users with advanced computer needs, and it includes all of the Windows Media Center capabilities for turning your PC into an all-in-one home entertainment center for watching DVD movies and accessing your digital audio library. You can also use Windows Media Center to record and watch your favorite TV shows (even HDTV) and to access new kinds of online entertainment content. Computers that include Windows Vista Home Premium and an auxiliary Windows SideShow display will also allow you to access key data even when your computer is off. It is also easier than ever to share files between other PCs in your household and to manage your laptop computer settings to more securely connect to your favorite Wi-Fi hotspot.
Every edition of Windows Vista provides the essential tools and technologies to help protect you whether you are browsing the Internet, connecting to a wireless network, or just reading e-mail. All editions of Windows Vista include new tools that can warn you of impending hardware failures long before you have lost any important personal data. And, all Windows Vista editions include parental control features that allow you to manage and monitor your family's use of games, the Internet, instant messaging, and other activities.
Includes Microsoft Works 8, Symantec Norton Internet Security 2007 (with 60 days of Live Update), Roxio Creator (with LightScribe technology), Muvee autoProducer (for creating professional-looking home videos and burning to DVD), and HP Total Care Advisor.
Dimensions & Weight
This desktop PC measures 7 x 17 x 15.2 inches (WxDxH) and weighs approximately 24 pounds.
This desktop is Energy Star rated, which means that it uses 15 watts or less of power when on low-power mode. An Energy Star qualified computer uses 70% less electricity than computers without enabled power management features.
What's in the Box
This package contains the HP Pavilion a1730n desktop PC, power cable, keyboard, and mouse. It is backed by a limited warranty for parts and labor for one year from date of purchase as well as technical telephone assistance for one year. Software is also covered for 90 days from date of purchase.