Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The HP DV6 is an excellent modern laptop that would be perfect for almost anyone. HP hasn't put a lot of obscure extras in here that increase the price unnecessarily. Likewise they haven't skimped on the important details. The Intel i5 processor isn't top of the line, but is about as good as you're going to get in this price range of laptops. I run pretty taxing software (Adobe Photoshop, basic video editing on a variety of programs, Logos Bible Software) and the processor computer handles them easily. 4 GB of RAM is sufficient for most users' needs, allowing you to run plenty of programs side-by-side. The video card easily handles most non-gaming functions; I do wish it were a little more robust, but is more than sufficient for most general uses.

The advertised features of the DV6-6116NR that set it apart from others are
-Low light web cam: This feature works pretty well. I compared it to two other webcams I have and compared it to my iPad webcam, and it functioned a little better than all of them in low light.
-Bluetooth: Easy to use. Connected immediately without any difficulty to my bluetooth stereo headphones. Love having wireless sound from my laptop.

And finally, MY FAVORITE,
-Coolsense: Basically, Coolsense protects your lap from the super high temperatures that laptops can generate. I have gotten in the habit of placing something between my laptops and the back of my legs to to keep from getting burnt (or at least uncomfortable). So this feature was what I was most excited about trying out, even though I was skeptical. Does it keep you laptop cool? No. But it does keep it much cooler than others. I ran a test where I kept the CPU at near 100% levels for 3 hours while I worked on the laptop. It definitely got warm, even uncomfortably so, but never so hot that it hurt. And with more reasonable processor use, i.e. just normal everyday use, I can keep the computer directly on my lap even in shorts where it is coming into contact with bare leg. HP did well with Coolsense
on December 3, 2011
Verified Purchase
Bought this on Black Friday for the i5 processor and 640 GB. Speed and storage capacity, plus the HP reputation, were the decisive factors, since HP products has served me well in the past. Prior laptop, also dv6, was glitch-free for its 4-year service life. So far, enjoying the speed (fast!), overall design, speakers, touchpad. Still adjusting to the full keyboard, which means I am typing "off center" from the monitor. Also, the smaller arrow keys and delete key. All pixels and all ports work. This may not be the most technical review written, but I'm submitting it anyway in order to give this computer 5 stars and boost its overall rating. It's an excellent product - no regrets.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 13, 2011
Verified Purchase
This laptop was a little larger than I expected, but I was still content with it. The screen is just beautiful and the keys are easy to use. The sound can be raised quite high through the built in speakers, which was an extra plus for me. The disc drive worked great, no problems with that. Comes with a built in webcam, I am not sure it really is HD though, it looks good but not HD good. Naturally with all this stuff the battery will drain fast. From the times I'v used it at medium brightness writing reports and whatnot it gave me about 4 to 5 hours. It really depends on how you use it. Overall it's a great laptop if complete portability is not your reason for buying it.
on December 12, 2011
Verified Purchase
Pros:

-Great sound wen watching videos
-Looks really slick and nice
-Keyboard layed out nicely, with numeric keypad
-Camera and Mic included
-Very easy setup
-Big bright screen
-2 headphone jacks

Cons:
-Scratched very easily.
-I had the edge of a spiral notebook packed next to it (accidentally) during school and found a scratched was created on
the lid of the laptop
-the F keys on top of the keyboard require you to hit Fn key before using it. There might be a way to shut that off but I can't find it. Also, there's no beats audio headset, or speakers on the front of the laptop like the pictures show. Pretty stupid for amazon to false advertise.

Overall good computer. I bought it for school and it is very easy to take notes.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'll be honest, the only HP products I've ever owned are their printers, and thay have always done a great job with the printing of my documents and stuff.
This is my 1st HP laptop and it's a great quality product, it's very fast and has worked perfect so far.
It has 640 GB of internal memeory, heck my old Toshiba laptop from 2008 only has like 200 or something.
The only gripe I have with this model is the keyboard, I find it a bit sruntched, and the keys are smaller than my Toshiba (I have fat fingers so that don't help matters), that's the reason I took off a star and gave this a 4 star rating.
I do however like the built in mouse pad on this one better than my Toshiba, thus allows for two fingertips to zoom in, zoom out, etc, plus the little light that highlights the mouse is pretty cool IMO.
I have not yet used the built in HP TrueVision HD camera so I can't comment on that.
I will extend my review as a use this great computer some more.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon January 18, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As others have said, the DV6 is a phenomenal value. The i5 chip is quite quick, and comes with their upgraded integrated graphic chip, the HD3000 - this is actually as powerful as many dedicated graphics cards (albeit in the sub-$100 range). 4 GB or RAM is sufficient for the included full version of Windows Home Premium 64 Bit.

A huge 5400 RPM hard drive gives plenty of space for files, built-in wireless and Bluetooth give connectivity, and the battery, while not giving be 6.5 hours (I'd suspect that's with screen a bit dim and all the rest turned off), has been FAR better than I'm used to with anything except my Asus EEE PC.

Ports are plentiful - USB ports on both sides (a great feature), video, HDMI, Ethernet (for when you have no wireless), Mic in, TWO headphone outputs (a great touch), and a front-panel SD card reader cover pretty much everything except Firewire.

But those are specs - how does it work?

Great, actually. It's well-built, good looking, and fairly light. Keyboard action is excellent - speaking of which, it's really nice to have a full number board on a laptop - and the WiFI reception has been excellent thus far. The built in camera is good - not amazing - but certainly sufficient for what I'm using it for. Sound is average in class; you'll want headphones if you care about music, but it's fine for YouTube videos, games, etc.

It also comes with HP ProtectSmart, which supposedly locks the head on the hard drive if it's dropped, to avoid damaging the drive (and its data) in a fall. A great feature if it works, though it's one I'm completely unwilling to test. Be my guest with yours though...

As for "Coolsense," well it seems to work alright I suppose. It uses software to detect where and how it's being used and makes appropriate changes to keep it cooler. HP claims that materials in the construction aid in this. In real life, running a chip at full power creates heat, and there's only so much you can dissipate from a laptop - that said, I've never felt the bottom get uncomfortably hot (as I have with some laptops), though perhaps a bit warmer than is strictly comfortable.

Negatives:

The Screen: While it's spec'd fine, the sweet spot to avoid having the colors completely wash out is pretty non-flexible. And I can never get it quite tuned to look as good as I'd like. True, it's a TN screen and not an IPS, but I've seen far better TN screens with truer colors and better off-axis viewing. I'd never edit photos on this laptop, as I simply don't trust the color response. It's my biggest problem with the laptop.

Touchpad (at least now): The touchpad is responsive in all ways except one: two-finger scrolling. Almost half the time I try to scroll a web page with a two-finger touch, it doesn't work. I've tried it a bunch of different ways, and it's just frustrating as hell. Now, this COULD be a driver issue, which isn't strictly HP's fault, so perhaps when the driver is updated things will get better. For now, though, I use a small wireless mouse to keep from going nuts.

All in all though, a great, great value, particularly if you don't need to edit photos. Wonderful connectivity, fine sound, WiFi + BT, a good keyboard and excellent overall speed make this my favorite laptop I've owned yet. If the touchpad was sorted, the screen was a bit better and it had a Blu-ray burner, it would be the the ultimate - but probably also quite a bit more money.

Five stars for excellence, minus one for a screen that could be a bit better.
on December 30, 2011
Verified Purchase
I'm very impressed with this laptop! It's very sleek with a nice black finish, a large HD screen and a full keyboard. I'll be using this for school while I study for my MBA and I'm loving the full number keys. The touchpad is very easy to use and responds easily. Speakers are awesome! Great for watching movies and playing some Pandora around the house. The corei5 is fast and excited to have the large hard drive. I'm overall very happy with my purchase. It's my first HP laptop and I'm definitely hooked!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 15, 2012
Verified Purchase
Love my HP laptop! Got this for my husband, which is the updated version of the one I got myself almost 2 yrs. ago. So easy to use and set up...it walks you through everything you need to do. Sure didn't think I'd ever replace my tower, but this little gem does more and really puts the personal in PC!

I pretty much use it plugged in most of the time and when I've taken it on trips it has worked perfectly, so don't have any complaints about battery life, but I haven't used it unplugged that much.

Shopped around and Amazon had the best price and received it really fast, as usual!
on December 25, 2011
Verified Purchase
Run fast and smooth, nice LED display, very stylist. Cheap price for the great quality laptop. Perfect for student. Buy extra RAM for 50 bucks to double the memory and the laptop runs like magic.
on April 13, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been using HP notebook computers for 11 years and have been very happy with the quality and reliability.
The first thing I was struck by when starting this one up is how crisp and vibrant the display is. It is also very quiet and does run cooler than my notebook that does not have the Coolsense Technology. I also have a first generation i5 2.4 Ghz HP notebook and do notice the performance boost in this 2nd generation processor. The multi-finger gesture touch pad is nice and an improvement over my other i5 touch pad.

HP has Support Assistant software installed that will notify you and install important updates to your computer so your hardware is always up to date. I love that because I never need to remember to check if my Bios or hardware needs updating. You can also use the Support Assistant to do tune-ups like disk de-fragmentation. The Learning section has user guides and system information. Get Assistance has self help and contact HP info through email, live chat or phoning tech support.

All in all it is a great value for a powerful computer that would satisfy most anyone's needs. The physical design of this notebook is handsome and I particularly like the sleek silver speaker bar place at the top edge of the keyboard that directs the sound to me better than other placements.

There are three things about this particular model I am not crazy about. The keys have a fine "sandy" texture to them I don't like the feel of when typing. I also tend to slide my thumb on the space bar when I press it and that makes a scratchy sound on the textured surface. And the plastic case with its subtle lattice pattern is beautiful but it is very easy to scratch.
I also would have liked a fingerprint reader. My other laptop has one and I am addicted to the convenience of using it to login to websites.