This computer, loaded with 8 Gigs of ram and AMD Phenom, is nice and fast.

Published on February 23, 2010 by Lonny D. Stark

1.0 out of 5 stars GONE ARE THE DAYS
Instead of a review, I'm including an abridged version of a letter I sent to Mr Mark Hurd, the President of Hewlett Packard

Dear Mr. Hurd, On April 27 at 2 PM I received a Pavilion Elite Desktop that was defective and "dead in the box." I've been buying computers since 1992 and can accept this but not what followed. (Repair Order #803.........)...
Published on May 29, 2010 by Anthony Elrod

4.0 out of 5 stars Good computer, fast startup, too bad about the HP junk software, February 23, 2010
This review is from: HP Pavilion P6320F Desktop PC (Black) (Personal Computers)
This computer, loaded with 8 Gigs of ram and AMD Phenom, is nice and fast.

My own computer use does not include any heavy duty gaming, so I can't provide any insight on performance from that perspective. However, my job is in computer graphics, and from that perspective, I can say this is a heck of a nice computer. Photoshop really zips on this thing, and my initial experiments with Premiere, Flash Pro, VirtualDubMod, and Pinnacle all look very good in terms of speed. I don't have any major complaints so far with the hardware.

The downside to any HP computer is that this manufacturer is the worst purveyor of absolute junk software, not to mention loads of demo garbageware from various payola agreements they've signed. If you buy this or any other HP computer, and if you really care about its software environment, hop online and look for any guides you can find that describe how to remove and disable HP junk and garbageware. Plan on spending a full day cleaning the computer out. Then replace everything, especially the worthless HP software, with highly regarded opensource programs downloadable from CNET and other reputable sites.

As for Windows 7, while the new operating system is not without a ton of annoyances, it is a reasonable improvement over Vista. First thing I did is kill the notorious User Account Control (UAC), although you need to know what you're doing if you take drastic measures like that. UAC is the amusing little system that confirms you really want to do whatever you just did, forcing you to click "OK" over and over as you try to actually use the computer. What a joy! I spent another full day changing Windows settings, trying to figure out where Microsoft hid certain features, and dumping much of the helpful (intrusive) trash that comes preconfigured with this operating system. It would be nice if Windows would just stay the heck out of the way.

So my four stars go to RAM and AMD, none to HP or Microsoft.

1.0 out of 5 stars GONE ARE THE DAYS, May 29, 2010
Anthony Elrod (seattle, washington USA) - See all my reviews

From 6 PM to midnight I talked to people in India whose English was barely intelligible making the process extremely difficult. They had me doing tests over and over and sitting on endless hold in between. This was incompetence. Around midnight I was asked to do a "System Restore?" and told by your Tech he would call back---he never did and I was to find that this is common.

On April 28, convinced that the problem was beyond the abilities of your offshore people and not wanting to go back to people I couldn't understand, who never called me back, and who put me on endless hold; I requested (per your guarantee) someone to make a housecall here in Seattle, which was denied. I tried to access American support to no avail and ended up calling Sales--at least they spoke English. They essentially told me "I was on my own" and I thought of the phrase--"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

On April 29 I got your Filipino station and repeated the same process for hours. One particularly grating aspect was listening ad nausea to your parroted message about being able to get home service while I languished on endless hold. This is deceptive and a rotten lie. My machine was brand new----a fact that wasn't even noticed by your techs until the third day. After 20 hrs of my personal time had been chewed up, the dead machine was finally pronounced unfit and carted back by FedEx on April 30.

On May 1, in one final exhaustive attempt to throw salt in my wounds, I received an email double charging me, and my Visa card was billed an extra $50 to boot. Come on Mr. Hurd, you are a great big Fortune 500 company, how hard is it to fix these things.....things I would expect if this was a David Packard startup in his Palo Alto garage. Best Regards A---- E----

Post Script---Yes there is a post script to all this. Hewlett-Packard again sent me a brand new machine---machine #2. After the initial setup, I couldn't get on the Internet. Once again I called your techs in India (Repair order #------858----). After about 5 hours, including a "face to face" and the usual endless tests, I went to bed. Since I wasn't willing to spend another 20 hours on the phone I sent the machine back for a refund. Two bad machines in a row strains the credulity and the bounds of coincidence, but your people were merely sanguine about it all.

The original deal was that I gave HP a price they advertised and they gave me an operational Core i7 machine or they would come out and do an in-house repair. I felt cheated. I got my money back but lost 25+hours of my personal time. Hewlett Packard is a good example of a giant global faceless octopus of a company with ubiquitous advertising, cheap prices and shoddy rubbish products. One of the sales guys told me that if HP used American techs it would add $400 to each machine----so that's why Apples cost more?! Believe me Mr. Hurd, gone are the days I'll do business with HP again.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Complaints, April 7, 2010
This review is from: HP Pavilion P6320F Desktop PC (Black) (Personal Computers)
After having built my last PC and pricing out the parts to build another one, I decided just to purchase this one. I have had HPs before and have no complaints (except for Vista - which isn't HPs fault).

Picked this one up from a retailer in a combo deal for $699 with 21" monitor plus a 3 year extended warranty. Connected to internet with no problems, configured the wireless connection with no problem, etc. Mail client is acceptable. Windows 7 is vast improvement over Vista. First thing I did was remove Norton and some other preloaded junk and installed a set of free antivirus/antispyware packages available for free on-line. Runs quickly, while the video is shared, if you are not running any graphic intensive video games, it is good enough. DVDs and HiDef runs smoothly.

For the money, 8gb ram, 1Tb HD, with 2.8 quad processor not bad. Your ability to expand is somewhat limited due to only having a 300 watt power supply, so if you do add a video card, you probably need to upgrade PS also. I added a second DVD drive with minimal effort. Will add a second HD in near future, beyond that I see no need for anything more for my use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good home computer., March 4, 2010
Upon the demise of my four year old single core HP laptop that had served me well I searched for a desk top that would meet my needs. I reviewed Consumer Reports, CNET and other on line reviews of computers. I also looked into many types of processors. Once I found my processor I found the computer that used it and went from there. Long story short I came to the conclusion that this HP with the Core I3 processor was the one for me.

Everything set up easily and has been working very well for about a month now. I am pleased with the size of the hard drive, processor performance and Windows 7 is good too. There are no negatives at all to date.

After shopping around the electronic box stores I determined that there was nothing gained by purchasing from any of them thus I used Amazon and shaved a few bucks off the price.

You might do better with another computer somewhere but for the money I would recommend this one to a best friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value/Smooth Setup, May 14, 2010
frankp93 "frankp93" (Connecticut United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
First off, based on other reviews and Amazon's description, there might be slightly different flavors of the 6330F going out: I've got the Intel chip and 6GB of RAM (which is what I expected and matches what it says on the HP box).

Amazon's CPU description shows both Intel and AMD chips and someone mentioned AMD and 8GB of RAM - not sure what's going on there.

I haven't bought a desktop in 4-5 years and am frankly blown away by what I'm getting for the same price point I paid back then. I've never thought of HP as stylish (I love my trusty "office chic" laser printer but it'll never win a design award). Someone out there recognizes these machines aren't just buried under desks anymore; people are incorporating them as home entertainment components.

The black with silver trim motif seems to be a longstanding nod to Apple. Funny, the Dell I bought five years ago had a similar scheme as did the Toshiba laptop I bought over ten years ago.

The sliding front panel hides headphone and mic jacks as well as a couple more USB slots, which is a nice touch. All the front bays in fact have pull down door panels which gives a nice sleek appearance. I appreciate the protective plastic each of these surfaces came with as well.

Plenty more USB jacks on the back and the only disappointment (and it's a minor one) is there are no PS/2 jacks, in spite of indications on the quick-start sheet that there are. I happen to use an old Belkin 4-way switch to share a monitor, mouse, and keyboard among the small farm of corporate cast-offs I've accumulated in over 20 years as a developer (Never know when you'll need a box to throw OS/2 on for that customer in Germany...). No biggie, I can double up the keyboards for awhile. Truth is once I get the HP loaded up I think it'll be time to clear out some of the dinosaurs (I keep holding out for the "classic hardware" fad I'm sure is right around the corner.)

Follow the instructions on the Quick Start guide. There isn't much else as far as paper documentation - a small booklet that tells you how to complete the Windows 7 setup and register with HP. It mentions the initial startup make take 20 minutes but mine took about 5. If you choose a language other than English, it has to setup language packs and that could take as long as a half hour.

The booklet also contains standard troubleshooting info and instructions to create your own restore disks. Do it, 3 DVD's and it's worth it; otherwise if the drive goes you'll have to buy a set from HP. Took about 40 minutes to create; used standard Verbatim disks, no problem verifying.

It's got to be the quietest desktop machine I've ever had or used - so much so that when I first turned it on I worried the drive might be dead. The brightly lit power switch on top with the activity light beside it is a great touch - no more craning my neck to spy in a peephole to see if I/O's happening.

Contrary to what others say the trialware isn't too plentiful or too hard to remove - certainly nowhere as bad as the Dell and Compaq machines I've bought.

Let Windows patch itself, didn't take long at all. Turn off UAC and tweak the HP and Windows update settings to taste. Stick a free virus scanner like Malwarebytes on there and you're ready to roll. She's fast and solid; hasn't crashed once (knock on veneer).

Easiest setup of a new machine I've ever had - going back to my Atari ST in '87!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent computer, March 15, 2010
New HP computer is great, fast, very quiet. Arrived in good shape and read to go without issues. A note- despite selecting "normal" shipping, I recieved the package barely 48 hours after ordering!

1.0 out of 5 stars bad news, March 22, 2010
I bought this computer six months ago and since then have been involved in trying to get HP to deal with a problem that freezes the computer sometimes four or five times a day, when a blue message screen appears. They have not solved the problem at all, and in fact seem intent on denying it. I can not emphasize strongly enough what a mistake it would be to buy this computer. I have come to the conclusion that I will have to throw mine away altogether.

1.0 out of 5 stars A disaster: buyer beward!, March 22, 2010
HP, like Toyota and its brakes fiasco, has been keeping quiet about the blue screen that pops up on this computer, totally derailing the user and requiring that the computer be started up again and again, with attendant loss of material. This is a widespread problem that the tech departments have tried to finesse and HP itself has managed to hide. But I've gone through it with them in spades--both the tech people and the management--and I can see from their cautious and at times dissembling remarks and behavior that they are quite aware of the disaster that awaits them if it gets out. I have now done my small part to publicize this situation.

1.0 out of 5 stars Crap, June 8, 2010
Will never buy an HP again. They may have decent laptops but I won't know because the desktop I bought was such a piece of junk. Hard drive failed in first week, loudest fans I have ever heard, problems with video, could go on.

Don't buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars LIKE THE PC, THE BACKUP DOES NOT WORK, February 28, 2010
I love the fact that this computer has speed, and Windows 7 is much better that Vista, but I spent almost 3 days attempting to back up my files and I still haven't been able to do this in Windows 7 Backup and Restore. I must now send the computer back to Amazon and hope that the replacement is better. Also, I believe that Windows/Microsoft should be more supportive and helpful to those of us who purchase computers installed with their operating systems. A customter service Rep from Microsoft tried to charge me $59 for tech support when I told her about the problem simply becasue Windows 7 was pre-installed on the computer. I have had this computer for exactly 5 days today.

HP Pavilion P6320F Desktop PC (Black)
Used & New from: $500.00