4.0 out of 5 stars Full-featured, light weight, good price
I got a great price on this during one of Amazon's daily Lightning Deals, and this little
notebook PC offers a lot for the money. Here is the complete features list:

AMD E-450 1.65 GHz dual-core processor
Radeon HD 6320 graphics with VGA & HDMI outputs
11.6" HD LED-backlit screen
4GB DDR3 (1 DIMM, with 2nd slot open for easy upgrade)...
Published on March 12, 2012 by D. Snow

2.0 out of 5 stars Problems with the screen
I bought this computer almost a month ago, it had a lot of good reviews so given the price and the specs, I decided to go for it and get one.

I upgraded the ram to 8gb and the performance got a little bit better not remarkable but better, but a few days ago, something started to happen to the screen, since there is a fine flickering dotted line at the top of...
Published on May 4, 2012 by Fabio J. S

4.0 out of 5 stars Full-featured, light weight, good price, March 12, 2012
This review is from: HP Pavilion dm1-4142nr Entertainment PC 11.6-Inch Laptop (Charcoal) (Personal Computers)
notebook PC offers a lot for the money. Here is the complete features list:

AMD E-450 1.65 GHz dual-core processor
Radeon HD 6320 graphics with VGA & HDMI outputs
11.6" HD LED-backlit screen
4GB DDR3 (1 DIMM, with 2nd slot open for easy upgrade)
500GB hard drive
gigabit ethernet
Broadcom 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi
Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0
Truevision HD webcam
built-in card reader (for SD & MMC)
light weight, less than 3.5 lbs
comes with 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium

The first thing I did was pull out the 500GB hard drive and replace it with a 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD drive:

OCZ Technology 60 GB Agility 3 SATA III Solid State Drive AGT3-25SAT3-60G

I did a fresh load of Windows 7, and after loading all the device drivers and Windows
Updates, about 20GB of drive space was used. Here are the Windows Experience values:

3.9
5.9
4.5
5.9
7.9

Here are some LIKES:

+Radeon HD 6320 graphics makes this suitable for light gaming, and HD video apps
+long battery life
+low cost battery replacement, only 69 dollars direct from HP (HP MT06 battery, 55 Watt-Hr, part# 646757-001)
+easy access to internals. The entire bottom panel slides off when the battery release latch is in the proper position
+touchpad with On/Off button. Double-tap the upper-left corner of touchpad to toggle it on or off

and some MINOR COMPLAINTS:

-keyboard doesn't have a proper inverted-T arrow key pad, it uses more of a 'Plus' arrangement
-you have press Function first to use PageUp and PageDown keys
-Grey satin matte finish looks nice, but really shows fingerprints
-original Windows 7 recovery and driver CDs are not included, you have to order them from HP for 15 dollars

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for what it is, March 16, 2012
If you are looking to buy this item, it's important to consider what the purpose of such a laptop/netbook device is. It's not the most powerful option for high end processing, but for basic computing, I really feel there's no better value for the money.

Positives:

Price/performance ratio is high. Much higher than an Atom based netbook.

Easy to open and upgrade. No screws to open.

One 4GB DIMM with one open slot, supporting up to 8GB.

Smaller form factor. It feels like a 10.1 netbook in size, but nicer screen size than 10.1 netbooks. I actually had to return the 11.6 case I bought for it and buy a case for a 10.1 size. It fit!
Keys are nicely spaced and really full-size.

Runs quite cool and quiet after removing the unnecessary features of the HP software components.

Drivers are easy to locate online, unlike many, and they actually work when installed. Some manufacturers make driver location difficult, and they never work quite right, in my experience. Not the case here. I swapped for an SSD, which I'd recommend, and replaced drivers easily and every component and function works perfectly.

You only need to download 7 drivers in total to restore all hardware functions (Ethernet, Wifi, Trackpad, Catalyst, IDT audio, on screen display, and bluetooth.)

Amazon customer service is great.

Negatives:

This model is NOT the imprint finish, despite what the details say in the info, or at least the one I purchased in March wasn't. As such, it shows fingerprints a bit, but nothing terrible.

The Synaptics trackpad is improved with physical buttons, but still buggy as all heck. Don't expect Mac-like smooth functioning here. The two-finger scroll feature rarely works correctly. All others are fine. I use it with and without a mouse, and it's fine, but one must adapt to it.

Keys are a bit plastic feeling. I'd have preferred a rubberized finish to them, as they are quieted by the finish also. The plastic keys are a bit clacky when typing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic HP Netbook, March 16, 2012
I have only just received this netbook this week and I already love it. The processor may not be extremely powerful BUT it is still fast enough for basic browsing and document generation and editing which is what I bought it for when I go on vacation. This replaces an earlier HP Mini 210-1030nr netbook that I bought 2 years ago from Amazon and gave to my mom for her own personal use. I'm glad I got this new one because it exceeds the performance of the first by leaps and bounds. I also immediately installed an extra 4 Gigabyte RAM stick to max out the memory capacity to a total of 8 Gigabytes; I did that before even turning the netbook on to ensure there'd be no slow-down issues.

The Beats Audio is an excellent feature as it makes music and movies sound much louder than average netbooks and even some regular-sized laptops that have no audio enhancement features internally without a user having to install additional software to make the sound experience more enjoyable.

So far the battery life is acceptable. I haven't been able to get the reported up to 9.5 hours; it's been more like 5 hours which is still good. I imagine if I adjust some power-reducing settings I should be able to max battery life to 6 or 7 hours. At any rate it is still functional for my purposes because it would be rather unhealthy to sit at a computer for multiple hours non-stop.

One thing that struck me as odd was the fact that the netbook was already setup with a User Account name of "3" when I turned it on but I presume it was because it was for testing and software installation purposes.

Great processing speed, good hard drive size and TONS of ram in such a small package means one cannot go wrong with this purchase. I imagine if the processor had been a Core I3 or I5 it would be even more powerful but this is a netbook we're talking about so it's not an issue of necessity. It gets the job done and I would definitely recommend this to others looking for a price affordable netbook who don't want to sacrifice performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great battery life!, March 8, 2012
A. Stebelton (Beavercreek, OH United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this laptop to replace an aging 15.6 Gateway and have been very pleased for the first few days of ownership. This is the smallest laptop I've ever owned, so it's taking a little getting used to, but I think I won't have any problems in a week or so.

Pros: Battery Life, Lightweight, Runs Cool

Cons: "Full Size Keyboard" uses FN button to access Page Down/Page Up. I use these buttons all the time, so that's a little annoying

For what we do - internet, light photo work, media storage, this little unit is great - especially at this price point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, April 4, 2012
I have wanted a net-book for some time now. unfortunately the either had too little RAM, slow CPU, no dedicated graphics, the price was outrageous just to name a few problems.I was just about to get a different model when I saw a another link and the price intrigued me so I clicked the link and I am so very happy that I did.

Not only does this have the RAM, CPU speed and type ( I am AMD through and through), but I also got a great dedicated graphics card ATI (my personal preference). The rest was just icing on this incredibly delicious cake. The price is great and the computer did not come with a bunch of useless software that I did not want or need.

I just cannot say enough about this computer. The blue-tooth is great the hard drive is 500 gigs ( for a net-book that is just great), and the version of Windows is 64-bit home premium. So it gives me all the extra admin tools that I love so much. Oh one more thing of note is the built in cam is great. Much clearer than I expected. Record at the lowest resolution with just a bit of light and you will have no problems. The computer also allows me to use my Logitech C510 web cam in tandem with the built in one.

I would highly recommend this product. Two thumbs way up. Have a good one all.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Can't Beat AMD for thePrice... Bye Bye Intel, March 28, 2012
xIT (Corona, CA) - See all my reviews
The mouse pad is 10x better than the one on the E-350 and the speed & graphics can't be matched by Intel at this price unless you want an Atom (bomb). Tablets are CUTE but I have work to do and I can live with the 3 1/2 lbs after the anchors I've used over the last 30 years.

The rating for this product s/b higher except that some idiot that doesn't own a unit gave it a low rating because he thought it had an SSD. I might add an SSD2 to this thing as my Christmas present though. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice little hp, April 14, 2012
This little notebook works great. Let me first say Hp was not on the top of my list. They're past notebooks were a bit clunky.
I was looking to upgrade my netbook when I came across this Hp it has all the features of an ultrabook without the ultrabook price.
Long battery life -great for long trips
Nice screen -Easy on the eyes
Good weight -Not too heavy
Nice sound-beats audio
Good processing power-Boots in like 20 seconds
Overall Hp has done a nice job. I would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultraportable without the 'Ultra' Price Tag, April 24, 2012
This model of computer is a very portable model. I will break this model down to show what kind of person should buy this type of laptop.

Product Features and Technical Details
Product Features
AMD 1.65 GHz (1MB Cache)
4 GB SDRAM

Note: The RAM is fine for the avg user. Most users will not use more than 4GB of RAM. If you are a gamer this may not be the laptop for you. With 1.65 Ghz for the processor combined with the 4GB RAM, for the on the go professional or student you should be good to go not having to worry if this laptop with work or not.

500GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

Note: Forget the fancy detail of, "HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection", the fact that a laptop this portable has 500GB at 5400rpm is standard, a 7200rpm or a SSD hard drive would have been better. Expect normal boot and shutdown times.

11.6-Inch Screen AMD Radeon HD 6320

Note: Ok, the fact that this laptop is 11.6inches should tell you it is portable. Most laptops today for an avg user are around 15inches. The good news is it does have a VGA out port to connect to an external monitor. This will help if you need to have more screen real estate. Also, the display is ok, but you will NOT get full HD. Lets face it, its a small screen.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
9.5 hours Battery Life

Note: The OS (Operating System), is standard on most computers except Netbooks usually run windows 7 starter. Since this HP laptop has much better hardware it allows a normal OS and full functionality. As far as the battery life. You are probably looking 4.5-5.5 hours unless you have the screen brightness to barely visible.

Wireless Type: 802.11bgn

Note: Nothing fancy here. It connects to the internet. Enough said.

Conclusion:

If you are looking for a laptop that will be a portable as you are and you are not yet ready to spend 800+ on an, 'Ultra' portable laptop, gives this a shot, you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars One netbook to rule them all..., April 25, 2012
I've had this netbook for about a month now and this thing is just a flawless victory! I was looking to upgrade from a Toshiba 10.1 incher and I wanted more speed and a slightly larger screen so it's easier to see multiple pages/screens at once for working on papers/reports, and man this thing rocked my expectations. Compared to what I was used to with the 10.1 incher, this thing feels like a big-screen tv. Yet this physical size of it really is hardly any bigger than my old one. The portability is not a problem if thats what your looking for. Battery life is gorgeous. I've seen in other reviews people saying it doesn't get the advertised amount of life, and maybe I just got lucky with mine, but I am getting no less than 10 hours a charge with this bad boy, and I use the high performance settings too!!! Yeah that seems too good to be true, and maybe that didn't happen for others and I'm just lucky. I'm not super-techy so I'm not sure why but I'm lovin' it.

I have upgraded the RAM to 8gb just because its such a nice and cheap upgrade. I am looking to upgrade to an SSD, but have no experience with that and am nervous about attempting it. Not saying that I am unhappy with the performance of this machine; its speed, boot-up/shutdown times, video-loading time are all fast. But reading about SSD's just makes me want one... The matte finish is kinda lame but it's not like its those shiny kinds of finish that you touch and finger oil immediately shows up. I got a skin for my top cover and typing surface, which fixed the dull kinda look with no problem. I love how the keys feel and sound (not loud but just the right amount kinda feel if you know what I mean), the touch-pad area has those small bumps like mini-brail which I find nice to touch. The left/right clicks are slightly harder to click and louder than I would have preferred, but no biggie.. Also something I've personally noticed on friends and other laptops that my fingers start feeling like they are getting radiation after being around the touch-pad area too long, but I do NOT have that problem with the DM1...I've edited some Tough Mudder GoPro footage on this thing at 720 60fps on Sony Vegas 11 Pro with no problemos. The speakers are awesome and nice and loud, a big plus for a music lover like me. This thing also never gets close to hot either (desk or lap) which I love.

All in all I am a fan if you couldn't tell. I like to research options and once this one caught my eye I thought it looked like a great option to upgrade from an older and smaller netbook. I was tossing between this and the i3 version, but for the amount of money I saved and after experiences the performance of this thing...boy am I happy with my decision.(Although the price on here keeps going up and down, I snagged it for $370.) If you like portability, long battery life, loud speakers, cool temps, fast speeds, awesome graphics, great feel and user friendliness... Why have you not bought this thing already???

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product for students, April 22, 2012
I bought this computer because I am about to start graduate school and needed a laptop that would be easier to carry to class than the 10-pound Toshiba that I've been hauling around for years. It is fantastic! At under 4 pounds this computer is super light-weight and the battery life is amazing! There is no need to even bring the charger with me when I go to school. Some pros and cons:
Pros:
With the proper settings you can actually get 8 hours of battery life
Full size keyboard doesn't feel cramped like most netbooks
Speakers sound nice and get very loud

Cons:
Far too much bloatware to get rid of
Keys are kind of loud (but I have purchased colored key protectors and they not only look good but also take care of this problem)
Must press FN key to use page up and down
Glossy coating shows fingerprints and tends to look "greasy"

Overall, I give this computer 5 stars because the pros highly outweigh the cons. I would recommend this computer to anyone!