5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely built and equipped budget machine with a 17" screen.
This machine is not a performance powerhouse by any means, but it is a fairly priced good quality machine.

Published 18 months ago by S. Power

3.0 out of 5 stars 1st Laptop after 50 years of computer use
My desktop computer is 17.5 inches so I thought a laptop that large would have a fare sized keyboard. It don't and they moved the location of important keys in relation to your hand position. They marked the 'F' keys as if they were a secret. The keyboard has reduced me to a hunt and peck typist.
The computer itself is quite satisfactory and has only one draw back...
Published 17 months ago by Frank A. Wheeler

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely built and equipped budget machine with a 17" screen., April 6, 2013
S. Power (Austin, Texas, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: HP Pavilion g7-2222us 17.3-Inch Laptop (Black) (Personal Computers)

We bought this for our daughter about a month ago directly from HP, and it meets all of her needs. Yes, the screen could be higher resolution, the processor could be faster, and the hard drive speed could be faster, but all those things would add a lot to the price.

The battery life on this computer has been about 5 hours during normal use. We've only had an opportunity to fully test that (going from full to empty) twice, so it may vary depending on what you are doing and your settings.

This machine has Windows 8 installed on it, which is true of almost all new computers now. We definitely prefer most things about Windows 7 to Windows 8, although some things have been improved such as the task manager. (The task manager is that program that opens when you hit Control-Shift-Escape that tells you what programs and processes are running and how you computer is performing. They've added a ton of functionality to that feature of Windows.) Things that we don't like, such as the new start screen, aren't that big of a deal to get around. Overall, Windows 8 isn't a reason to dislike this computer, in my opinion. It takes a little getting used to, but overall it has as much good as it does bad, and we will eventually get used to or find work arounds for the few bad things.

This machine is a good value. It isn't blazing fast, but does web surfing and office applications just fine. If you are looking for a gaming machine, look elsewhere and plan to spend double what this laptop costs. If you are looking for a well made, basic machine, with a 17 inch screen than you won't be disappointed here.

5.0 out of 5 stars A basic laptop at a great price!, April 11, 2013
We bought this laptop for my mom who is 82. She's quite computer literate for an old lady! She's mastered Windows 8 already! She just needs it for word processing and internet use (yes, she's on FB!) so this laptop is fine for her. It's a good value for a basic laptop! Not for gaming or anything high-tech, but fine for her!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for the money, but with some caveats, April 6, 2013
`
A decent PC for the price, but there are several negat1ves to be aware of:

network port is NOT gigabit, it is only 10/100. So if you will be copying large files to this PC over a wired gigabit network (as most people do these days), then the transfer rate will be SLOW.

The keyboard lacks the standard inverted-T layout for the arrow keys. Most people that use the arrow keys for navigating spreadsheets, gaming, etc would consider the inverted-T arrangement very important.

Users Manual on the HP site is one-size fits all, it is NOT specific to this model of PC. Much of what is in the manual does not pertain to this PC.

Downloadable drivers on the HP site are for 64-bit Windows 8 only. So if you want to install Windows 7 on this PC, you could have a problem.

How long does the battery last? The answer is anyone's guess, because HP does not mention this anywhere. Also, what is the replacement lithium battery pack for this PC? Who knows, because the HP website does not have this information either.

3.0 out of 5 stars 1st Laptop after 50 years of computer use, May 22, 2013
The computer itself is quite satisfactory and has only one draw back. That is that it comes with Windows 8 (no choice and no disk). I have been using Windows for over twenty five years through many revisions. At 76, I can still hold my own on a PC, but this Windows 8 has stopped me in my tracks. I am just getting in programs and info that should have been done by the second day. HP and MS solve any question by putting the computer back to the condition that it arrived in. Windows 8 does not have a restore point that can be set and returned to. The preloaded data keeps trying to sell you something and there are no straight answers on how to backup your hard earned settings for retrieval. It is too big a step to go from a PC to this Pavillion and a crazy operating system like Windows 8.
If I could return it, I would, although there is nothing wrong with the computer other that the keyboard and the fact that I could not get my McAfee downloaded for hours and hours and could have gotten infected as the router setup was almost immediate. The viewing screen can not be taken past 90 degrees and makes you look at it from and angle. I fixed that by turning the laptop 'Targus' cooler backward and angling the keyboard. That didn't bother me as its layout has reduced me to hunt and peck.
I give HP (A good company) three stars and MS a minus three stars for trying to be a Macintosh, which I love but can not afford.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, June 8, 2013
I received my HP, and am still gettng used to all the features. I don't like Windows 8, but in fairness it has only been a short time. The one disappointment is the casing of this HP doesn't have the stability of my last two hp's. The hard drive is on the right side close to the front and when I pick up the computer, it seems as if it would be easy to crack or break. I am happy with the speaker's the volume is pretty good. Picture quality is also good. For the price I would recommend this computer, my order came with an upgrade to 6 mb for the memory.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll never see my child again!!, June 11, 2013
Bought this for my son, his first new computer that's all his. He's in love! It has a huge screen and is very fast. Satisfied!!

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, June 8, 2013
Its a great machine for the Price that I paid for it, its better tan I was expecting. I recommend

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price., November 12, 2013
Good performance for the specs. Screen visibility is not good for the slightest angle movement. Feels tough but heavy. Overall, good for a discounted price.

5.0 out of 5 stars i love it, March 1, 2014
everything was perfect, I love this computer, have no problem. I bought the computer from Venezuela and I love it

5.0 out of 5 stars comp, January 19, 2014
computer works great nice screen is great easy to use ive always have bought hp think its a good product

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

HP Pavilion g7-2222us 17.3-Inch Laptop (Black)
$659.99 $576.00