5.0 out of 5 stars Good Printer
I needed to replace my ancient HP 970CSE printer which was marginal for years, esp. on any picture printing.

Published on September 13, 2012 by Larry Newman

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this!
Published on August 15, 2012 by Matt B

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Printer, September 13, 2012
Larry Newman (Erie Canalside, North Tonawanda, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer (Office Product)

Went to Best Buy, and walked out with this for $99 - it seemed to have enough capability for my occasional use requirements, without being too big and bulky...I did not need a document feeder or fax, for example...but the ability to fool around with photos seemed like fun. 4 years of warranty was an additional $40.

I was initially put off by the "Photosmart" title, as opposed to the utilitarian-sounding "Deskjet" I was replacing. In fact, I was considering a Deskjet 3520 with its monochrome display, but the store guy [it took me talking to two people to get enough information] convinced me that this was a better unit. It used the #564 cartridges, which were a lot more economical, at $10/ea. than the #78 cartridge for the old 970. OK, there were now 4 ink cartridges, but I don't see using that much colored ink, just mainly black.

Brought the printer home, hooked it up, and it ran flawlessly! Did 120 sheets of black [mostly]/red/blue printing, and the ink status gauges barely moved. This printer just spits out the sheets in draft mode...really fast!

Tried a photo from the internet on plain paper, and it was great. Using the 4 x 6 sample pack of photo paper that came with the printer, I printed a photo from the hard disc of the PC that was outstanding. The camera mamory slot on the printer will not take my XD memory card, but I can load them into the PC, as I have been doing. This stuff would use up the colored inks, I know, if I make a habit of it.

The printer will give a status report if asked, and even print out a sudoku puzzle, or calendar, or even notepaper/ graphpaper. The copying feature is new to me, and will prove useful...it will even do a decent job duplicating old photos, either on plain paper, or photo paper. Not bad for no "photo black" capability.

All in all, it fits my needs perfectly, and works very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought before I read these reviews, and after two weeks...AOK, June 28, 2013
This review is from: HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer (Office Product)
Had been shopping for a printer for two days straight, visited all the discount stores, the high end computer stores even wall mart, but hadn't gotten to Best Buy when I stopped at Office Max where for the first time I saw well written comparisons cards explaining and comparing each printer and a knowledgeable staffer named Michelle. Now I was able to compare how much a cartridge of ink would cost, how many pages it should print etc; something other places were hit and miss about displaying. Also had about 30 printers on display and they even replaced the ink cartridge so I could see the print quality. This printer, the Photosmart 5520 was never on my radar cause there is no way I am going to spend the money for ink to print pics, this printer the office max girl hinted at had network printing from mobile devices like ios on our home network, and via email thru HP, it had high end quality (high duty cycle, LCD touch screen and wireless capability and sd card). Print per page cost of around 4.2 cents if I recall correctly which is not awesome its middle of the road but the printer offers many high end features like the touch scree. I considered bigger printers with lower ink cost (HP 8600 very nice but $169,and the Epson Workforce does not play nice with wireless ios devices)but for $99 for this unit, that would be a lot of ink to make up in cost and this is so nice and compact.

So I get home and read these reviews on Amazon and holy crap, paper jams? So back to another office max the next day and this guy (Randy)even knows way more than Michelle of the top of his head like the ink cost per page for each printer I had researched, that was amazing, and after listening to his advice (a true knowledgeable nerd) I kept it, but before opening it I call HP and gripe that if this thing is prone to paper jams I am gonna be upset, they advise me its fine and if problems arise HP will take care of me, so I decided to give it a try.

So now after two weeks, printing from ipad and iphones over our network and even from work via email, the quality is great, no paper jams and no issues. I first thought I had an issue but realized it was running on Windows 7's drivers which were fine but not full featured, so now I can honestly say that I really am happy with the unit. Its small, it scans nicely and fast whether its through the USB cable I hoooked up or the wireless (actually am surprised I see no speed difference between USB and wireless)it prints fast and really well, its not noisy and sound like its coming apart, it wakes up when I want to use it by touching the screen and overall, its great actually.

My one and only gripe, they could have put a better paper catcher on it, the one they made has to unfold and it sticks out of an otherwise compact and small unit, so I don't use it, instead I used a tiny bookend which works fine and doesnt look too bad. The nerd (respectfully I say nerd) told me all printers tend to have problems picking up too much paper after awhile esp. is one uses cheap paper (particles on the cheaper paper) and if one uses card stock which is thicker and compresses the rollers thus making thinner paper harder to pick up without grabbing two. I'm gonna stick to no cardstock and decent paper.

One last thing I used to refill my ink, I will quit doing this as ink variations are all over the map and the genuine fresh ink from the manufacturer is likely to give me overall longer useage, this is the theory but yeah, not going to go cheap on the ink any more, I don't print that much and the OEM is such high quality and at a moderate price of 4.2 cents a page black and about 11.3 color, its not too bad in a $99 printer.

Printers are a pain to shop, I shopped hard on the web and the stores; after two weeks we really am happy with this, don't know why they labeled it photosmart, supposedly cause the resolution is high which it is. Hope this helps.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this!, August 15, 2012
This review is from: HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer (Office Product)
In all fairness I did not purchase this item through Amazon, but directly from HP. The unit I received did not print anything correctly... all documents were reproduced somewhat askew and I am not sure if it was due to the paper not feeding properly or due to some other issue. However, the same misalignment problems occurred with all types of paper used. The unit was replaced by HP and unfortunately the second unit made a God-awful scraping noise upon setup which resulted in the cartridges jamming which in turn caused the unit to be inoperable. A third unit was subsequently dispatched and that machine reacted exactly like the first device. I then requested and received a refund from HP. So... as the saying goes... three strikes and you're out!

I hope this review serves as a forewarning to any prospective buyers... I certainly wasted quite a bit of time trying to resolve the various issues that I had with this contraption. So you have been duly warned. Caveat emptor as the saying goes!

1.0 out of 5 stars HP 5520 Not a quality product, October 18, 2012
HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer

This is not a quality printer. The wireless feature is great but like all other reviews, this has a terrible problem with paper jams and not loading paper. I have only owned about a month and now have tried to search three days for a solution of this only loading paper half way, acting as if it is printing and then giving you a paper jam message. Bought 8 dollar premium HP paper but didn't work. Went through all the HP solutions to no avail. Finally flipped it over and got out the flash light. Well guess what, something did not look right:

Turn over the printer to view the bottom side
Remove the paper tray
Look to the left side and you will see a big black gear
You should see a white gear that turns it
MY WHITE GEAR HAD POPPED TO THE SIDE OF IT AND WAS NOT TURNING THE BLACK GEAR
It seemed to be spring loaded so I GENTLY pushed the white gear back to where it was operating the black gear.

Works perfect.

Hope this might help anyone else who cannot get this thing to load a piece of paper

1.0 out of 5 stars Paper Jams, July 24, 2012
This review is from: HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer (Office Product)
Set up for the HP 5520 was very easy. Printed one page documents from my home network and iphones. Started to print a 17 page document and the printer jammed. I cleared the jam as directed from the website but the printer hasn't worked since. The paper keeps jamming even though there are no obstructions.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT Purchase a 5520! Black no longer works once replaced., December 6, 2013
This review is from: HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer (Office Product)
This printer work fine initially. But, after the black trial ink ran out, which took almost 6 months due to light use, black ink no longer work in the printer. We have exhausted all options including updating drivers, firmware, multiple new black cartridges (both HP and not), troubleshooting, and manually cleanings. Nothing works. This printer is a royal POS and an incredible disappointment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cannot detect paper, extremely loud, takes over 30 seconds to turn on, September 24, 2013
This review is from: HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer (Office Product)
I got this printer because it has automatic duplex printing and is 'wireless'. However, using this printer is an ordeal, and I wish I never got it.

Complaint 1: The printer has a very difficult time detecting paper. When it does detect paper, about 20% of the time it will pull more than one sheet.

Complaint 2: The printer is extremely loud. The machine calibrates itself every time you turn it on. It is very loud during this process. It is also extremely loud when printing.

Complaint 3: The printer takes more than 30 seconds to completely turn on.

Complaint 4: If the machine pulls 2 pieces of paper instead of 1, then automatic duplex printing does not work. This is only a problem if the machine can feed paper however.

*Update* I decided to use my one year warranty and exchanged my printer. The machine now pulls paper without issue and is much quieter, except duplex printing jobs regularly get 'auto cancelled' mid print, so I regularly have to reprint duplex print jobs multiple times. 2 dud printers. Maybe I'll make another exchange, but that's another 1 hour on the phone with troubleshooting in India.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Printer. Gave up on it after a year, January 3, 2013
Joey Skills (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer (Office Product)
This printer never quite worked right. I had multiple RMAs open and refurb models shipped to me. I will credit HP, that there support was pretty good about sending a new unit 2 of the 3 times. Unfortunately, the one time they gave my trouble was with a unit that paper jammed every 4 or 5 print jobs. The tech wanted to argue that since it worked sometimes, it was in fact a working unit. Because of that I give it one star rather than two.

Problems:
1. First unit's alignment was off and uncorrectable. HP sent replacement
2. Second unit would paper jam constantly.
3. Third unit's DDNS and connectivity was flaky. It would often not accept local jobs or cloud print jobs without a restart. This included Linux, Mac and Windows.
4. No USB meant it could not be a scanner for Linux (not supported or claimed by product. My one star review does not reflect this. I am not penalizing them for this, just for the prospective buyer's information)

I then bought an EPSON XP-400 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008EGDW3O/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_img_sol_1 The EPSON is a fantastic printer. Much sturdier and better construction quality. Easier set up with print cloud services. You can see my full review on that product.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Small Printer that Delivers a Punch of Color, November 6, 2012
This review is from: HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer (Office Product)
I have read the reviews and was surprised that so many people gave it a low rating. Its not fair that HP sells printers that are not equally consistent in quality and performance. That's the factories quality control that's falling short. With that said, I needed a printer that would print color illustrations with detail and accurate color tones. I also wanted to be able to use plain paper, not photo paper and still get the crisp true to color copies.

In the past I have only used Canon printers, the most recent was Pixma MX310 series. A huge printer very heavy that took up lots of space. I wouldn't mind if the printer was consistent with the quality of color and correct tones, but it wasn't. After replacing the cartridge which combined the colors all in one cartridge the yellow, blue, black and red was a definite drawback. The first few color copies were true to color and tone but after pushing the tenth copy the colors changed dramatically turning the tone to either violet or green. I also had big problems with the rollers, paper jamming, rollers feeding the paper crooked resulting in black streaked and color smeared useless copies.

This time I left the decision to my computer technician, the true professional and he was quick to recommend HP printers. He chose the HP PHOTOSMART 5520 e-ALL-IN-ONE series. I wanted a printer that was reliable, consistent with photo quality results using plain white paper. The HP 5520 at first looked undersized, questioning its capability and in this case "size dose not matter". Its low,sleek,small and compact but delivers a power punch of color in every copy. I have ran the printer for twenty copies printing from my computer with beautiful consistent color and true tones. One draw back is that it makes a lot of noise and sounds like a jet taking off, but that's small in relation to what it delivers.

I like that the ink cartridges are separate, red, yellow, blue and black makes changing the out of ink cartridge simple and cost effective. I have been trying re-manufactured cartridges since I make a lot of copies, the cost of genuine HP ink cartridges was immediately ruled out. I tried numerous ink warehouses, eBay and surfing the internet for the best buy. There are many companies that sell re-manufactured cartridges, but after 8 or 9 copies the ink faded or the colors were completely absent feeling that they are never filled to capacity. I found this site [...] sells LINKYO re-manufactured cartridges. I just finished making 69 full page color illustrations using the LINKYO HP564XL ink. Every copy was rich in color, consistent and there is still more ink left after checking the levels. I found that not all re-manufactured cartridges yield the same results. Its the company that fills the cartridges that makes the difference. I have bought LINKYO ink before from different online stores, but the results were very different. Seven HP564XL cartridges were about $50.00 including delivery, maybe a little more than other stores but The LINKYO Corporation out of La Puente California is the only place to get the re-manufactured cartridges from (supermediastore.com). It really dose make a difference who fills the cartridges. I Personally found the HP PHOTOSMART 5520 inexpensive, simple to run and as reliable as a sunset.

5.0 out of 5 stars i love this printer, October 31, 2012
This review is from: HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer (Office Product)
i am quite picky and have had 4 printers in the last year, the most recent purchase was the 5520, from the moment i plugged it in and set up the wireless connection i loved it! i love the apps especially, i think it is a great little printer, i have had no problems at all and love it love it love it, i print out apps every morning, usually about 7 to 10 pages a day, and my black ink cartridge lasts for about a month. so that is at least 300 pages of apps daily and that doesnt include my daily print jobs i do so the ink lasts pretty good, just switch to quick print in the settings, and you will not waste any ink, i highly recommend this printer!

HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One Printer