4.0 out of 5 stars Half the cost of laser printing with some caveats
HP Pro X451dn claims to produce printouts a half the cost of laser printing. However, don't be too excited like I was.

Published 14 months ago by M633

3.0 out of 5 stars Inkjet that thinks it's a laser printer. It's not.
Good: pretty painless setup as a network printer. Advertises itself well. Speaks IPv6 if that's important to you. Fast. Should be cheap per page printed. Compatible as a postscript printer (trivial setup on Linux & Mac).

Published 9 months ago by Doug Kilpatrick

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Half the cost of laser printing with some caveats, December 18, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

First of all the print quality is just as good as that of a color laser printer, but don't expect it to give you a beautiful photo print like most inkjet printers can do. This should not really be a problem since this printer is meant to be for office use. You will get a nice color "document" but not color photos even if you print it on photo paper. The point is, don't buy it for home use just because you see that it claims to cost less, unless you don't intent to print any photos. A weak point, when compared to color laser printer, is the printouts come out wet, unlike laser printouts that come out dry and shiny.

Second, it says wireless printing, but it's not what you think, if you are thinking what I think when I hear "wireless printing." It needs a WIRED connection to your router. The so called "wireless printing" here actually means HP ePrint, which allows you to send your documents to this printer through email, from anywhere in the world. You may say that it's misleading, and I feel the same. However, you can say that it's still a type of wireless printing.

Thirdly, it's loud when it starts printing. It produces a annoying vibrating hum during printing, but it doesn't last long.

Lastly, it took me about an hour to set up. The Initialization (Preparation Calibration) takes more than one hour. Several sample sheets get printed out during this process.

Other than these caveats, the printer is fast, the printout is acceptable for professional use, and the printing cost is less than that of laser printer.

====Update 9/12/2014====

My printer finally died about seven months later. HP replaced it promptly. I found out that all the strange noises I heard from the beginning wasn't supposed to be there at all. The new replaced printer makes no noise other than a small normal hum during printing. So the previous printer was defected from the beginning.

Here's the tip: if you received a printer of this model that makes unusually loud noise from the moment of setup, you have to be concerned.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heavy duty, fast and reliable SOHO printer, but no WiFi on DN model, January 16, 2014
J. Gitzlaff (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We are using this printer in a home office (law practice - used for letters, briefs, pleadings, accounting records, etc). As such, it sees less intense use than it would in a larger business setting, but at the same time it sees far more demanding use than a normal "home office" printer. On the whole, we are very happy with its performance. Blazing fast with excellent black-and-white and greyscale print quality, it is a highly professional product and an excellent accompaniment to our Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500 Scanner for PC and Mac (PA03656-B005). Color print quality is basic, sufficient for tables and charts but not a good choice for photos.

Note that despite the word "wireless" in the title, it is not wireless. There is a wifi-enabled model with a similar but different model number (X451dw). The X451dn unit, on the other hand, is "wireless" only in a limited (and somewhat deceptive) sense that you can print using Apple's Airprint and/or HP's ePrint protocols from devices which are wifi only - or which in the latter case are outside your LAN altogether. However, you definitely must hook this model to your computer via USB or you LAN via ethernet cable - you cannot connect it out of the box to your wifi. Installation of this printer was an absolute breeze, taking only 10 minutes (apart from calibration, which took time but was internally automated), EXCEPT for this issue which kept me confused and trolling the web for solutions for more than an hour until I realized the truth. To this day, I am not sure whether the ad copy above is wrong/misleading, or whether someone shipped me the wrong model; but as I had an ethernet switch nearby it was easy enough to solve once I realized the problem.

Apart from that, we enjoy the printer very much. It is quite large, much larger than many MFP units and comparable to a SOHO laser printer, so be sure that you have a good place to install it - i.e., a good sized footprint in proximity to a computer or ethernet hub/switch.

3.0 out of 5 stars Inkjet that thinks it's a laser printer. It's not., May 15, 2014
This review is from: HP Pro X451dn Color Inkjet Printer (Office Product)

Bad: A bit noisy, but the biggest issue is just that it's an inkjet. Other reviews mentioned that the pages are a bit wet: they aren't lying. it's an inkjet. It doesn't look as good as a color laser on cheap paper: it's an inkjet. (If you print on non-glossy paper then colors won't look as good as a color laser will on the same paper: the ink gets absorbed by the paper instead of getting fused on top of it. If you print on glossy paper, then the quality is fine... )

Also, the initial setup process prints around 5 pages and takes a half-hour. But that's a one-time thing and the printer comes with a few sheets of paper...

For what it is, it's excellent: it's one heck of an inkjet printer. I was looking for a replacement for a color laser, though, and am unsatisfied on that front.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic replacement for SOHO laser, September 3, 2013
This review is from: HP Pro X451dn Color Inkjet Printer (Office Product)
I replaced an older HP color laser that had gotten flakey. While initialization takes a while to complete the printer is very fast, very quiet and has excellent output. I did not get wireless as my printer is plugged into my network backbone. My Lantronics XPrintServe immediately recognized the printer and it was available to all my iOS devices. Highly recommended. Also flawlessly used by 4 Macs in the house running Lion and Mountain Lion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Home Office Color Printing Workhorse, March 18, 2014
This review is from: HP Pro X451dn Color Inkjet Printer (Office Product)
I purchased this unit to handle my color printing needs and I chose this unit over the HP Color Laserjet units because of the higher print volume the high capacity ink cartridges offer at the same cost as the laser toner.

Before you purchase the Pro X451 or a color Laserjet, take a strong look at your actual need to print color because the ink and toner cartridges for these units cost approximately $120 each and they require 4 different cartridges (Black.Cyan, Magenta & Yellow)!!!

If you do purchase one of these, stock up when someone is running specials on ink or toner (just bought 2 of each XL cartridge for 20% off).

Now as far as this unit goes, I have had it only for a short time but find that it works extremely well.

It prints extremely fast and does it very quietly compared to cheaper ink jet prints, about on par or a little faster than my Laserjet M1217 when print black & white.

Set up was quick and easy other than getting this beast out of the box and onto my desk .... you have to cut the side of the box open to remove it. Because this thing is large and heavy, I suggest that you get some help.

Make sure you have a spot with a lot of real estate because this unit is about as wide as is it long (can not tell from photos).

I love the fact that unlike other inkjet printers, it does not shake my desk when printing, its operates very smoothly.

Only thing I wish this had was a higher capacity paper tray (500 page) instead of 350 pages, hate having to leave partial reams sitting open on the shelf. Will consider adding the extra paper tray unit once I can find a good deal on one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Died after less than 2,000 pages, February 20, 2014
Amozarte (Saint Louis - USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
HP have decided that they want to kill the laser printer by improving inkjet technology and, for the most part, they've succeeded with the HP Pro X451dn Color Printer. This printer's few minor annoyances can easily be forgiven in light of the significant cost savings it brings to the table.

The X451dn takes a while to set up, and you may need two people if you're not into dead-lifting 38 pounds, but the process is not complicated. A clear set of follow-the-bouncing-ball instructions will have you up and running in 45-60 minutes. Initial setup is the only thing about this printer that is slow, though. Both time-to-first-print and pages-per-minute blow away anything I've seen before. As fast as it spits out paper, you'll wonder if the machine actually put anything on the page.

As fast as you'll burn through paper you'd think an inkjet printer would also burn through ink, but not so with HP's new inkjet technology. After 3+ months of typical home printing I haven't noticed any appreciable drop in the ink levels. When I first looked at the ink cartridge prices I almost had a heart attack because they're about the same price as an average laser toner. However, these ink carts produce about five times as many prints as my old laser eked out on a high capacity toner. And did I mention that there's no messy toner to spill? Print quality is on par with what you may have come to expect from inkjet printers. It did a satisfactory job for any business document I could throw at it, but it won't replace a photo printer any time soon.

My biggest complaint about this gadget is that "wireless" doesn't mean wireless networking. The bad news is that you will still need an ethernet cable to connect the printer to your network, but the good news is that you can print directly from your phone or tablet. The printer coughed up pages from my iPhone and iPad without any special software or fiddling. It was a convenient experience worthy of an Apple device. My other gripes involve the fact that this model is priced to beat entry-level colour lasers, but doesn't include the "All-in-One" features you might find in the slightly more expensive machines. The X451dn is also just as big, heavy, and loud as any laser printer I've ever owned. You won't want to put this thing in the family room or a bedroom because it has a nasty habit of waking up and clanking away for no reason at 2am.

Teeny tiny little annoyances aside, HP have really impressed with the reinvention of the inkjet. Assuming you don't have extraordinary needs or expectations, both you and your wallet will be satisfied with this printer.

Pros and Cons Summary
+Super fast
+Long ink life
+Cheaper than laser
+No toner mess
+Easy to swap ink cartridges

-Lengthy initial setup
-"Wireless" means printing from phones/tablets, not true wireless networking
-Print quality is good enough for business docs, but not photos
-No "all-in-one" features
-As big, heavy, and noisy as any laser printer

Note: If you need an all-in-one, consider the Brother Colour Laser MFC9330CDW, which usually sells for about ~$50-75 more than the HP X451dn, depending on the day.

***UPDATE as of November 2014***

About 355 days into owning this printer, it quit working and began to display an error code persistently. No amount of button-pressing, resetting, unplugging, or other troubleshooting made any difference. A little internet sleuthing uncovered that this model had a run of units with a manufacturing defect that caused the print bar to fail after around 2,000 pages. Thank heavens I was still within the warranty period- just barely!

However, when I submitted the unit for service it came back as out of warranty- based on the manufacture date, which was naturally several months prior to the date of purchase. HP requested that I provide copies of the receipt to show when I obtained the machine, which I happily submitted. That was the last I heard from HP. From then on I got auto-responses and nothing more. After a month of being ignored, I finally tossed the defective unit. (Well, I took it to Best Buy to be recycled for free.)

Manufacturing errors happen, and a small percentage of all tech hardware turns out to be defective. It's a fact of life, and that's what warranties are for. But ignoring support requests and not honouring the warranty is a great way to drive customers to the competition. I used to be a computer consultant and sold a lot of HP printers, plotters, servers, and more. For the last two decades I have bought nothing but HP printers for myself, and have recommended HP printers to family and friends more times than I can remember. This experience changed all of that. Today I bought a Brother.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast but good. Speed vs Quality, February 19, 2014
This review is from: HP Pro X451dn Color Inkjet Printer (Office Product)
Incredibly fast printer. I have bought many printers for my office, both laser and ink jet. This is the fastest printer I have ever seen. It prints up to 70 pages a min and does a great job printing 2 sides but not at high speed. When printing 2 sides you need to slow it down or you will end up with many pages only printed 1 side. If you want to let your employees or family print color pages until their heart is content then this is the printer for you. This is the first printer that you will experience that the paper costs more then the ink per page. The trade off is that the quality is not great. On a 1 to 10 it is a 7 or 8. Do not print HD photos on this printer. If you want to print thousands of catalog sheets or literature this will do a great job. To save even more money, consider refilling the cartridges. You will need 2 sets of cartridges or the printer will reject the cartridge if you try to put the same cartridge in. I printed a catalog of all the photos on my PC which took an entire ream of paper ( 500 sheets ) and it was printed in less than 10 minutes. Network this printer and let everyone in your house or office print to it and the ink will last forever. My initial start-up / setup cartridges that came with the printer lasted about 1 case of paper ( 5,000 sheets ). At $243 buy 2. These will save you thousands of dollars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic option for a wireless photo printer!, January 15, 2014
D. Marvin (Council Bluffs, IA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
One of my departments at work has been using this at work since I donated it to them for our shared use. The users are giving high praise for this product, and I must say that I agree with them. We've used it quite a bit these past couple months and the toner lines are hardly lowered, meaning we are going to get a lot of mileage from each cartridge, which should absolutely thrill any conscientious buyer. It's considerably faster than other photo printers I've used, and what -- besides money, which we've already covered -- is more valuable to a worker or a hobbyist than their time? In addition to great mileage on ink and fast printing, I'd say the other major perks are fast ink drying time, the sharpness of the tones and brightness of the color, and the large paper capacity. This is an excellent product for the price. I've had great experiences with HP computers and standard printers in the past, but had no experience with their photo printers until now, and I'd say that this is yet another area in which this reliable company exceeds consumer expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent HP Printer!, December 31, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This printer just works every time, and that is about the best you can say for any electronic product.

The colors are vibrant, it is fast, and the operation works smoothly. I have set this up in my home office and have been very pleased with the results. It is an inkjet printer, not laser, but inkjet has progressed a long way and is less expensive than laser cartridges. It is a larger than normal printer, but if you have a printer stand, it will fit on it. Set up was easy, the typical removal of shipping protections (which we all should appreciate), and within 15 minutes it was printing beautiful documents.

You will be very happy with your purchase of this printer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, with some caveats, December 31, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've managed to go through quite a few printers over the last several years somehow (expensive and inexpensive) and quality-wise, the HP Pro X451dn falls near the top of the spectrum...kind of.

This thing is big. Really big. The size of a full-sized microwave, big. I'm not sure why. It takes a long time to set up, including ten minutes to get it out of the boxes, fifteen minutes to get the twenty-some pieces of tape off and an hour to install the software. It's not "wireless" as in no cords from your computer to the printer. You still have to use a USB cable, "wireless" refers to something slightly different and more complicated. The printed pages can't be touched right away, they come out slightly wet. Photographs don't print crisply. It's kind of loud-ish. This is strictly a printer, no scanner or copier.

But. For regular print jobs, it's outstanding and good enough to tip my rating all the way to four stars. I love having a laser printer vs. regular printer and I can use it for everything from paper to envelopes to glossy cards. I don't know yet how ink-efficient the printer is, but hopefully it will be as good as it claims - the cartridges are around one hundred bucks a piece.

This printer is probably a little too much for home use but would be good for a small office with light needs.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›