5.0 out of 5 stars Good balance between size and functionality
Published 6 months ago by GC444

3.0 out of 5 stars 3rd times A Charm
Published 3 months ago by Mikestroh

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good balance between size and functionality, February 4, 2014
This review is from: HP Slate S8-7600US 8-Inch Tablet with Beats Audio (Snow White) (Personal Computers)
I wanted to upgrade my old Galaxy Tab 10.1 as I wanted a better screen resolution and a faster processor. My main use for a tablet is web surfing, emails, some remoting in to my desktop (work and home) and reading books.I looked at getting the new Galaxy Tab 10.1 however at $549 for 16GB I was not too thrilled with the cost even though it offered a lot of features, most of which I would not use however.

So after reading review after review and checking specs on different tablets I decided to try this one. I could not be happier with my decision. The screen resolution of 1600x1200 is an improvement over the 1200x800 I had with my old tablet. The Tegra 4 processor runs extremely well and the battery life is excellent. Easily getting over 10 hours of use in a day. The audio is a bit strange coming out of just one side if you are viewing something in landscape mode, but I normally use headphones so it does not bother me. I can hold the tablet easily with one hand and the build quality feels very solid.

The only issue I have had was trying to get the Kindle app to load. I was told that it was not supported on the version of Android I have (4.2.2 is what loads after it updates) so I just side loaded the application as I got tired of waiting on Amazon to update it and it works fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome tablet!, January 9, 2014
I absolutely love the new hp slate 8 pro! The aspect ratio is perfect on this size tablet. I became interested in this tablet because i had recently purchased an acer a1-810 and loved the viewing area. I liked the size so much i bought one for my sister for christmas. Then i saw the new slate 8 pro, had to get it. I do not regret it one bit! This tablet is great, with a better display than the ipad mini! The 1980x1200 display is crisp and sharp. The tegra 4 processor is smooth and fast. I even downloaded a few nvidia tegra 4 games for testing and they all run smooth as butter. Not to mention it currently is running the android 4.2.2 jelly bean operating system, with updates eventually to android 4.4 kitkat HOPEFULLY!!!!!!

I am very impressed with the whole package on this tablet. In the past 5 years i have owned over a dozen tablets, and this is one of my favorites. It ranks in the top three along with the acer a700 and the a1-810, the acer a1 is in the mix because of its quad cores and it was so awesome for such a cheap price.

I love the 8" 4:3 aspect ratio on tablets. It makes viewing web pages perfect, especially at this size. I also have the 8 inch lenovo yoga but its just too difficult to view webpages on such a thin viewing screen.
The miracast wifi direct works great, it connected to my lenovo wd100 dongle on the first try, without any issues at all. It also connected flawlessly via bluetooth to my new hardon karmon bluetooth over the ear headphones.
You also get 25gb of cloud storage for free via box, curtousy of hp, it also works great. The cloud storage via acer cloud works great too. Sound is really great with the included beats audio.
No problems connecting at all via wi-fi, it connects via dual bands at 2.4ghz and at 5ghz without any issues whatsoever.

The tablet also has an hdmi port, even though most sites dont even list it as a available port. I like the way hp enclosed the sd card slot also, just seems to keep it safer from dust and debree. I also like the way the volume rocker is flush with the back so there isnt any accidental pressing...same as the power button too.
The slate 8 also has an included internal app for controlling the processor speed and power. There are three levels, maximum, balanced and power saver, on the power saver mode the processor only utilizes only 2 of the 4 available processors. On balanced it uses all four but limits the frames per second and at maximum it uses all 4 and lifts the frames per second limit. If you arent playing games or multi-tasking i have found that cutting back on the processor really saves your battery.

I do agree that the speakers would be better seperated on each side, not together as they are, when using tablet face up the speakers are both on bottom, but when you turn the tablet on its side both speakers are located on the right. But they do have really good sound for an 8 inch tablet. I dont use them that often though because i usually have bluetooth headphones on or have it connected to one of my soundfreaq sound step speakers i have situated throughout my house.

The hp brand case works real nice, but it does collect dirt real easy. I havent purchased the docking station for the slate line yet, i will ad to this feedback when i do.

Overall i really enjoy this tablet and feel that for the most part,hp did an excellent job. I really hope they give it the kitkat update. I was buying acer tablets but quite that because they never gave any of their tablets any decent updates. They did with earlier/oldr models but not on any of their newer tabs. So now i am giving hp a chance, and from the looks of this tablet, i am glad i did.

In the end, i highly recommend this tablet, from my experience, you would be hard pressed to find another high end 8 inch tablet with these specs at this price, that runs this smoothly, and from a name like hp. My amd a10 quad core gaming laptop is an hp, but my all in one is an acer. Those are currently my 2 favorite brands.
Sorryif my review is a little jumbled and short in areas, currently i am writing this while exercising on my stationary bike and watching supernatural on tv....lol. guess my resolution this year was to multi-task more, lol. If you are thinking about buying this tablet, do it, i guarantee you wont regret it! Good luck....and happy shopping!

P.S. when you first setup you new tablet you might find a few apps that seem to run a little slow, don't fret. This happens with all new tablets, it usually takes a few months for them to get the bugs out of their new model. It's normal, it even happens with the way over priced apple products. When I first bought the lenovo s6000, it took 4 months before the Netflix app would even work. Just remember, as long as the tablet is getting updates, then it is getting faster and more improved. Honestly, I don't think this tablet can get much faster, it's a little speedy Gonzalese...Lol!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good 4x3 aspect ratio tablet with a few problems, June 7, 2014
There are not many 8-inch tablets with 4x3 aspect ratio (same form factor as ipad mini), so I am glad to have it.

Pro: 4x3 aspect ratio, miracast capability, micro SD, hdmi, micro usb ports, reasonable price at 200, average battery life. Speaker locations not good, but sound ok. Screen resolution is fine. Note: Since the widespread use of Chromecast and EZcast devices to connect tablets to TV, the micro HDMI port availability is not such an important requirement.

Con: 1. bigger and heavier than Acer 8" tablet and ipad mini
2. Nook apps does not function properly (unable to select text so cannot use dictionary)
3. Gallery apps does not work (picasa albums are not visible. Picasa albums are available on my Acer A1-830)
4. No well-designed, third party case.
5. Micro USB port allows only small capacity USB stick to be recognized as a storage device (USB to micro USB adapter required).
My Acer 8" tablet recognizes a 32 gb USB stick while the Slate 8 does not.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3rd times A Charm, May 21, 2014
Mikestroh "Mikestroh" (Southfield, Michigan) - See all my reviews
Okay.....I was really excited when I got the first tablet. But had an issue. The Back panel on the "1st" unit was not fully sealed around the base. So I returned it and received a replacement. The Second one had excessive light bleed at the bottom of the tablet on both sides (in portrait mode). So I decided not to return it at first until the unthinkable occured. The tablet totally shut down. No power....couldn't recharge it or do anything with it. Now I'm waiting on the third replacment in the mail. Highly dissappointed in HP's quality control (lack there off) at this time, It's a potentially beautiful tablet if only I can get one that doesn't have all of these quality and system failure issues. I'm only giving HP this many chances because of the tablets beats by Dre sound technology and it's Full HD display and above all 4:3 aspect ratio. It's very rare to find an 8" tablet with these features/confgurations at this price point ($179 when I bought it) unless I take my chances with the China based Tabets (IFive Mini Retina, Pipo P8, etc,) So crossing my fingers on the "three times a charm" effect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tablet for the price, May 30, 2014
Amazon Customer (Mexico City, Mexico) - See all my reviews
My main drive for purchasing this tablet was the price and the favorable reviews here and in some other sites. The table is quite nice and light with a brilliant and sharp screen.

Very positive:
- Accepts microSD cards to extend storage for documents, movies and music.
- HDM output to connect an external TV or projects. This is very convenient for business use.
- Great screen resolution
- Great colors on the screen
- Very fast response and performance
- Nice design, specially the white back

Not so good:
- A bit old Android version with no news of update (if ever)
- The bezel seems a bit too thick on top and bottom making the tablet slightly oversize
- The OTG (acceptance of an external USB memory stick using a special third-party cable) does not work with the included HP File Manager. It works with ES File Explorer that is free to download.
- Because of the size it is next to impossible to get a case. I found as a temporary solution a padded mailer sleeve intended for half letter size. It fits great.

In short I consider it a great purchase.

Update August 16
Today Kit Kat (4.4.2) was available at last Ota and was installed with no issues in just a few minutes. The case availability remains very scarce.

Other update after Kit Kat:

- The update process is quite simply but brings some new problems. The reason is that in the update no application is deleted even if it is not fully compatible with Kit Kat and so some applications start to behave erratically. After the update I was no longer able to use Play Music (it crashed every time I selected a track to play) and Noozy worked fine but was always reporting that my SD card had no music files in it. So, it can be said that after the update the tablet remains in some limbo being Kit Kat but with some previous behaviour. Very bizarre.

- After the update Android File Tranfer could no longer copy files form the tablet to my Mac over USB. I had to do it using Bluetooth.

- The right thing to do then is to backup everything using the included backup service on Settings and then perform a factory reset. Later, after the account is set again, Kit Kat downloads by itself all the apps you had, excepting the ones that are not fully compatible. After this the tablet is working fine again and the volume level is right again (it had become very low after the update).

- Kit Kat does not allow writing to the SD card. That is, no matter what you do, there is no way to move a file from the main memory to the card. You have to move it first to the PC or Mac and the back to the card.

- Noozy (the best music player ever) is not compatible

- Challenger Viewer (for comic reading) no longer accepts as a library a folder on the SD card. It has to be in the main memory.

- OTG still works with ES File Explorer to mount an external USB memory

5.0 out of 5 stars super fast, June 10, 2014
as other reviews noted, this is a fast tablet and the display looks good too. you won't disappoint it except the camera. the pictures just look okay but i didn't buy it for the camera. the battery seems hold up pretty good. Overall it's a great value for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much in such a little package., May 18, 2014
This is my first touch screen, and I find it utterly amazing. I just can't get over how fast it is to my reactions of my fingers on the screen.
I just love it and would recommend it to any one who enjoys fancy gadgets'. I have been playing with it for hours at a time learning the many things it has to offer. I am surprised how great the music sounds and how clear the picture is in all its magic colors. Great things come in little packages. What a fair price!. For having it for less than 2 weeks I feel very comfortable with my Slate 8 Pro

5.0 out of 5 stars Now Supports Android 4.4 Kit Kat with downloaded update (8/16/2014), August 16, 2014
A Great mini Tablet with a terrific GPU and overall rock solid performance in everything, built extremely well at a fantastic price.

After coming shipped with Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2 and staying that way for months, It now supports Android KitKat 4.4 finally with a downloadable update. Updated today for me 8/16/2014. The update requires about 300mb and a restart to perform. Takes several minutes to install.
So now the Android OS is at least on KitKat for those who wanted it.

4.0 out of 5 stars HP Slate S8-7600US 8-Inch Tablet with Beats Audio (Snow White) - Like it!, June 20, 2014
Love the Amazon price, order&shipping processes for a quality and high performance product.
Positive: Quality, look and performance
Negative: Weight, screen brightness and power consumption when not in use (sleep mode)

5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable alternative to iPad Mini w/ retina display, June 19, 2014
Pros: 8 inches (I can still hold it in one hand), 4x3 screen size ratio (great for Web, e-mail, gaming, photos), bright and crisp display, great sound, long battery life, low battery drain in idle mode, high performance, loaded with features (SD card, GPS, sensors).

Cons: no upgrade path to Android 4.4, lack of accessories (decent and affordable covers), so-so camera (personally I don't care about it).

I have this tablet for 6 weeks, and I love it! It has the same screen size as iPad mini. Actually that was my main motive for buying the device. I was looking for something which would be slightly bigger than 7 inch (which I find too small) and yet smaller (and lighter) than 10 inch tablets. Personally, I'm not really excited with the current trend of optimizing display geometry for watching wide screen movies. This is not what most people do with the tablets. If you want to watch a movie you'd better relax and seat in front of a large TV. I guess Apple realized this long time ago. I'm still surprised why other manufactures are too slow to realize what Apple did long time ago when it introduced the first version of iPad.

I put 5 stars for the tablet because I don't think those 'cons' I've mentioned earlier are too significant.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›