4.0 out of 5 stars A very, very good deal and a very nice computer
Update: I originally bought this computer for around $800. It is now significantly higher. Keep the price in mind for comparable bargains. Original review follows (based on the lower price):

Published 18 months ago by M. Eckelberry

3.0 out of 5 stars only get if it you can update some hardware.
I was surprised to see that a desktop computer comes with a 5200RPM hard drive.
that's even slow for a laptop.
because of the slow hard drive used, makes working on the computer a drag.

I had to take off the back cover and replace the slow hard drive with an SSD drive. once that was done, it was blazing fast.

the computer is well built and...
Published 14 months ago by Soheil Sahimi

4.0 out of 5 stars A very, very good deal and a very nice computer, March 20, 2013
M. Eckelberry (clearwater, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP Spectre 23-E010 All-in-One Desktop (Personal Computers)

I am an experienced computer user and a software executive, so I do know my way around these things. This computer is a fantastic bargain. You get a beautiful large monitor, a very nicely made computer and a great experience in general.

The out-of-the-box experience is great. It is Windows 8 (bleh...) but still, it's seamless. For someone who doesn't know a lot about computers, it's especially easy. You just turn it on. Everything is automatic (including the wireless keyboard, etc.).

Some pointers:

- There is no internal DVD player. These are available from Amazon for around $35 -- just search for external DVD player. I personally rarely (if ever) use a DVD drive these days, so I didn't care. But if you find yourself needing one, it's easy enough just to buy one and they are very easy to setup (just plug it in to the USB port on the Spectre -- it has 4 available).

- There is a version of the Spectre for nearly the same price which has a larger, faster hard drive (7,200 RPM) and an AMD chip which is probably comparable to the i5. If you want a bit more speed and capacity, you may want to look at that one.

- The screen is glossy. So if you're in an environment where there is lots of reflected light, you may find it somewhat irritating.

- The keyboard is really nice, but it's not a real productivity keyboard (doesn't have a numeric keypad). If you do a lot of spreadsheet work, etc., you'll want to buy an inexpensive Microsoft USB keyboard ($10 on Amazon). The mouse is fine but personally I may move to a normal wired mouse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Computer I Have Ever Had!, February 3, 2013
This review is from: HP Spectre 23-E010 All-in-One Desktop (Personal Computers)
I love this computer. It is wonderful and doesn't take up much space since you don't have to have a tower. I love the large screen. I am using my old keyboard which is backlit and wireless mouse though. The keyboard that came with it just seemed too small and hard to get used to, plus it didn't have the number keypad, only numbers across the top. I had a hard time getting used to the touch mouse so I'm using my old mouse which I love. Overall, this is a great computer. I really don't have any complaints at all with the computer. I love it!

3.0 out of 5 stars only get if it you can update some hardware., July 6, 2013
This review is from: HP Spectre 23-E010 All-in-One Desktop (Personal Computers)
I was surprised to see that a desktop computer comes with a 5200RPM hard drive.
that's even slow for a laptop.
because of the slow hard drive used, makes working on the computer a drag.

the computer is well built and solid.
they are nice enough to give you a touchpad as a regular mouse, because the touchpad is kind of hard to use for some people, like me.

I did love the cordless mouse given as well. it does not have a middle roller button to browse up and down the screen, but it has a touch sensitive roller area which you can use as a roller button. and the cool thing about the roller pad is that it gives you feedback by making the mouse vibrate as if you are rolling a roller thingy.

another thing I am unhappy about is how the back panel opens. only one screw tightens the back with a screw, the rest is locked in place with magnets. the screw is located at the bottom of the entire device, so its hard to get to, and you don't even know its there. so when you are opening the back panel, you will like its all magnetic and you pull it apart. the only screw at the bottom of the device does not give you any resistance to make you think, oh wait, something else is holding this together, and it snaps and breaks. which it did for me, but its not noticeable. there should be a sign or pointer that shows the screw needs to be taken out 1st.

the speakers are okay, nothing out of this world though.

the USB3.0 did not work. I had to uninstall the driver and reboot it for it to work.

so the conclusion is:

if your okay in replacing the hard drive with another faster one, then you should definitely get it.

if you have no clue how to do this, then skip this computer.

sorry for the run on sentences. don't have the time to fix it. hope this helps some people.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good so far, April 9, 2013
This review is from: HP Spectre 23-E010 All-in-One Desktop (Personal Computers)
Still figuring out windows 8 but the computer is running good so far and has an excellent picture quality. The key board is pretty small and uncomfortable though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Computer!!!, July 11, 2013
Trish Bennett (WINSTON SALEM, NC, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP Spectre 23-E010 All-in-One Desktop (Personal Computers)
This computer is beyond nice!! I'm not tech savy but it has what I need & is super speedy!! Beware though, it does not have a cd rom if that's a must for you!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great choice for a All-in-one teenager desktop, July 11, 2014
This review is from: HP Spectre 23-E010 All-in-One Desktop (Personal Computers)
Bought it used, still uptodate. Great choice for a All-in-one teenager desktop.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good design, March 6, 2014
This review is from: HP Spectre 23-E010 All-in-One Desktop (Personal Computers)
This computer is elegant and works fine. The hard drive is quite slow but for the rest it is perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a surfing computer., February 12, 2014
This review is from: HP Spectre 23-E010 All-in-One Desktop (Personal Computers)
Perfect for someone like me that just surfs the internet and watches You Tube. Screen is beautiful. Compact on my desk. Quiet. No optical drive is my only complaint but I knew that when I bought it.

Rate and Discover Movies