Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: HP Webcam HD-2200 (BR384AA#ABA)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on December 5, 2011
This camera worked great for me, probably because I didn't bother installing the included software. It's plug-and-play with Windows 7, and it works great with Skype, AIM, Youtube, or anything else I use a webcam for. Keep in mind, if you want to use the highest resolution (1280x720) it's going to be a resource hog on your computer, and it likely won't be very snappy video. Image quality was better than I expected for a camera in this price range. Again, DON'T install the included software; plug it in and see if it works without it first.

P.S. Try to keep in mind the price of this camera. You get what you pay for. This isn't a very good webcam, but I'm happy with my purchase because I just wanted something crappy I can Skype with.

P.P.S. Turning the the resolution of to 1280x720 actually cuts of the top and bottom to make it "widescreen." Not necessarily a bad thing, but just something weird I noticed.
on April 15, 2013
I was looking for a cheap UVC (Linux) compatible webcam for testing against security software. You can fire up Cheese and it will run for hours without issue. Using a Ubuntu VIrtualBox guest will have issues, but I suspect that's the USB emulation since it runs fine on the host.
on June 23, 2014
The camera came well packaged. Installation of software went as predicted (I am not sure why companies feel a need to add extra items to installs) it was easy enough. I have used the webcam several times now and have had issues with the start-up of the camera. The biggest problem has been the poor quality of the mic. The sound is muffled and to listen to recorded video, the quality of the recording is way below what I would expect from an HP product. I use the webcam to record my sermons before delivering them as a way to rehearse, but the poor quality of the mic makes this difficult. Overall: choose another product, this one is not worth your money.
on January 10, 2013
I have a Microsoft VX3000 which has a MUCH BETTER PICTURE in LOW LIGHT & BETTER MICROPHONE PICK UP. I LOVE HP PRODUCTS USUALLY, But this one is Cheap and I'm NOT happy with its quality. It even seems like CHEAP PLASTIC HOUSING like it will Break, Like it's made in China and CHEAP!

I would NOT Recommend this. It also HAS NO LOW LIGHT AUTO Setting like the Microsoft VX3000 LifeCam Has. The Video Quality is OK if you have A LOT OF LIGHT, but HORRIBLE in LOW LIGHT, and Most People Chat in the night on their Cam's and in a Bedroom without having A HUGE AMOUNT of light.
on April 3, 2013
I needed a camera with a built in microphone for Skype/Yahoo Messenger and other webcam services, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Affordable, small, easy to use, perfect! I wish it had a hole underneath so that you could screw it into a travel tri-pod so that it doesn't move around, but that hasn't really been an issue!
VINE VOICEon November 2, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have to admit my initial experience with this camera was a disaster -- "No Webcam Detected" after clean install. I tried two different computers running Windows 7 x64 (Enterprise and Ultimate) and had problems on both. I thought there might be an updated driver and software suite so I went to hp's website. I located the driver in the download section but strangely all I could do is order a CD. When I see "Order" I instantly think $$$ but it's actually free. I placed my order and received a CD a couple of days later.

I installed everything again from the CD I got from hp and this time it worked. It is critical that the software is installed with the webcam disconnected or else nothing works. At the end of the installation process; you are prompted to plug in the webcam and in my case to reboot -- assuming all went well so far.

The CD also installs an application called "HP Button Manager". The remaining applications are from ArcSoft and not hp. The hp Button Manager is used to launch the ArcSoft WebCam Companion application when you press the button on top of the camera. After you press the button, you have two options: Capture or Edit.

The camera is globe shaped and is attached to a swivel-base. It has that all-seeing-eye look to it and looks nice. It is now on a Dell 21" desktop monitor but I also put it on a laptop and it worked there too.

The video quality is OK. My Logitech 720p Webcam C510 blows this camera away. The HD-2200 has trouble with both low and high light. The picture quality is average and there are no advanced controls (other than Low Light Compensation) to adjust the camera. For me this is a problem because the camera zoomed-in a bit too much for a laptop and the zoom control, brightness, gamma, etc. are all disabled in the ArcSoft software.

Since this test was on a desktop, I am using a Altec Lansing iML237USB ORBIT Ultra Portable USB-Powered Speaker and my test for the HD-2200 built-in microphone was the echo service on Skype. In a quiet environment, the results were acceptable but by no means exceptional.

All things considered, this is a entry-level camera that is adequate for basic A/V needs. If you can spend a bit more, I would recommend a different camera - preferably 720P or better.

On a final note: If this camera is intended for a laptop (which it is) than it should include a case (which it doesn't).
on January 3, 2013
Appears to work OK with the Android TV stick iMito MX1 and MX2, at least with a recent Finless ROM.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is not a thorough review, just some impressions. I tried it using Skype on an old (2001) Dell PC running Windows XP. After a brief hiccup with the microphone not registering, it seems to work fine. The video is delayed 1-2 seconds, even on the local monitor, but I doubt the camera is to blame.

Upon advice from other reviewers, I went plug & play (I did not install the HP software).

I had fewer problems than with setup of the Logitech HD Webcam C310

I like that camera swivels 360 degrees left-right as well as up-down

- - - Pricing - - -

The Amazon price jumps around. Low tide seems to be $20.

- - - Alternatives - - -

Microsoft LifeCam VX-3000 Webcam

Logitech HD Webcam C270
on November 21, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I initially had a difficult time getting the webcam to work, and then when it suddenly did (no clue why or how), the video quality was really bad. It wasn't choppy, but blurry. I made sure I had plenty of light in the room, both on my computer desk and overhead. I don't think it mattered. It just seems this webcam is simply a low quality product. I think people expect more from HP.

I do think this webcam is better than no webcam at all. But still, there are too many other similarly priced options out there that produce high quality video (Logitech comes to mind) to waste your time on this one.

The software is nothing special. I keep meaning to check HP's website for an update that may help. I will edit this post if I find one.
on July 24, 2013
I needed a webcam for work purposes only, so I just needed something that would pick up video, simple as that. I found this webcam super cheap in good used condition. Based on what I saw it's the best camera for the price point, but it's used. I don't think it'll do 30fps at 720p though, I seem to only have the choice for 15fps.