4.0 out of 5 stars Good Webcam with Great Image Quality at a Good Price
Published on September 25, 2010 by Aaron Vinck

1.0 out of 5 stars Bloated software, doesn't work
I bought this camera as a bargain deal at my local Fry's for $14.99 and now I know why there were 100 of them piled into the bargain bin.

Published on July 28, 2012 by T. Westerman

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Webcam with Great Image Quality at a Good Price, September 25, 2010
This review is from: HP Webcam HD-3110 - 720P Autofocus Widescreen Webcam with TrueVision (Personal Computers)
This webcam has great image quality. Much better than any other webcam I've owned, but this is the first one I've owned with higher than VGA resolution capability. The added 3rd-party software is also useful for further controlling the webcam's image -- especially for zooming/cropping the image. It comes with many other features that I won't use, that may be attractive and fun for a teenager...

The only reason I'm not giving it 5 stars, is because I have not been able to get it to work with a couple of programs, and most especially with Yahoo Instant Messenger. HP seems to be aware of this as it is referenced vaguely on the HP support website, but without a solution that works/makes sense. I'm not sure what the issue is exactly. Fortunately I bought this to work with a specific program with which it works fine (called "ICU2"). Maybe Yahoo doesn't accommodate higher resolution cameras -- I don't know. Haven't tried it yet with Skype.

4.0 out of 5 stars Requires Version 1.1 to work with Skype, December 8, 2010
Unit works well, easy to operate, and worked with earlier versions of Skype - but there is an issue with Skypes latest version (6.0 I believe). HP has a "fix" - - be sure the HP Webcam is version 1.1. Hp has not yet informed me how to upgrade this unit to V1.1

4.0 out of 5 stars A bargiain, November 28, 2010
The Web-cam came on-time and in great shape. The instructions were pictographs, but there wasn't too much to figure out. It set up easily and the picture quality is great using very little lighting. The software that came with it worked flawlessly, though some of the extras are a bit silly.

This is a bargain: good picture, good sound, good software auto-tracking, and good software digital zoom, all work as expected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishingly good, February 3, 2011
After reading other reviews (on other sites) I became a little worried as I waited for this USB webcam to arrive.

I simply can't imagine how I could be more pleased. Perhaps technology has just changed radically since I bought my previous camera (for which this item was to be a replacement). Perhaps I've become a victim of lowered expectations.

All I know for sure is that, for the price at which Amazon is selling this camera, I'm completely blown away by the quality of both image and video stability.

One minor annoyance: The clip, so far, seems better suited as a desktop stand. I've tried this camera on 2 monitors and a laptop. In each case, it has a tendancy to slowly lean forward as if it were curious to see what's being displayed on the monitor. Bending the 'tail' portion as directed by the operating instructions helps this condition a little, but the solution is often only temporary.

4.0 out of 5 stars Small good quality and lot of fun, December 21, 2010
Small and practical size, the HP 3110 is optimal Webcam to make video conferences via Skype, MSN, or others.
HP 3110 has an Auto Focus (a little slow sometimes) that ensure to be on focus all the time.
Also it came with many software, like follow the speaker, and lot funny SW to transform the speaker and take snapshots.

Has 3 ease buttons for easy launch the communicator of your preference, take video or snapshots.

the record or snapshot under low lighting could be better, and sometime you need to use manual setting instead automatic setting.

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty good webcam, October 2, 2011
Provides a nice clear 1280 x 720 pixel picture (nominal 720p) at a capture rate of 30 frames per second (fps, which I measured with Fraps), if you have adequate light. To get a bright enough picture with less light, webcams generally automatically lower the capture rate. To get 30 fps at 1280 x 720 you won't need daylight, or a level of light typical of a bright office, or retail store, but subdued living-room light or subdued restaurant light won't be enough. At a lower resolution (such as 640 x 480) you can get 30 fps in light that is somewhat subdued. Why do you want the full 30 fps? At frame rates of less than 25 fps, moving objects that are slow enough not to create motion blur when viewed using direct vision, create motion blur when captured by the camera.

Windows comes with sufficient drivers to enable you to use the camera's basic features, including capture video and take snap shots, without installing any software. You can view live video and capture stills in Windows Explorer. You can capture, record, and edit video with Windows Movie Maker. But the ArcSoft software that comes with the camera makes less demands on your computer's cpu. It also allows you to take manual control of various camera settings, including exposure, focus, and white-balance, upload video to youtube, use the camera with instant messaging sites, record video, use the camera as a motion-detecting security monitor, record snapshots, do fairly advanced video editing, and more. Oddly, you cannot download or update this software from HP's web site; what HP does if, say you lost the CD that came with the camera, or bought a used camera without the CD, is offer to send you a new CD. You Can download the software directly from ArcSoft, but it will cost you about $30 or $40. If you download enough freeware programs, that should enable you to do most of what you can do with the included software.

The automatic exposure works pretty well. The automatic white balance does not work awfully fast, or always work well. You can adjust it manually with the software. To get it to work faster, and produce a better white-balance, I hold a sheet of white paper, with black lettering on it, in front of the camera, covering the whole field of view. I wait for the exposure and white-balance to adjust, and then when I take the paper away, the exposure and white-balance continues to look good. While the automatic focus works nicely, it can often be a bit slow. There is no manual focus ring on the camera but you can focus manually using the ArcSoft software. While I did not actually compare aperture sizes, I know that cameras that have an adjustable focus generally are able to be made with a larger aperture than fixed-focus cameras. A larger aperture enables detailed pictures, and faster frame rates, with less light. The presence of a focus adjustment is one reason why I chose the HP HD-3110, instead of the fixed-focus HP HD-3100. The advantage of a small aperature is that less movement of the lens position is needed to produce an image that looks sharply focused; with a small aperture, a lens fixed in one position will produce a sharp image over a greater depth of field. The disadvantage of a small aperture is that it needs more light, or longer exposure time for each frame - which translates to less fps.

Another advantage of the variable focus in this particular camera is that it will focus, automatically or manually, on items just an inch away from the lens, enabling you to magnify small objects quite nicely (as with a magnifying glass), and see amazing detail. You can use the camera to enlarge and photograph very small print. You generally wouldn't be able to do this with the typical fixed-focus camera, that is designed to capture images of obejcts that are at intermediate or far distances.

All in all, a pretty good camera. It seems that it is frequently being sold for significantly less than the competitor's 720p autofocus camera. $30 as compared to $45. I've heard that the competitor's 720p auto-focus camera will render a smooth 30 fps with slightly less light, and has a slightly clearer picture, but I haven't confirmed this, and I am pretty happy with my HP cam.

4.0 out of 5 stars HP webcam is quite good, September 11, 2011
The HP webcamera is quite good and is producing a great picture. The mount leaves something to be desired as I would like more flexibility to secure it on a nearby surface and adjust it's position easily. The current base is awkward for this. The picture makes up for a lot of other wishes, however.

5.0 out of 5 stars HP HD-3110 720p Review, March 6, 2013
I have been working with computers for 30+ years; I have designed motherboard, modems, scanners, printer, and other input devices. I would say that I am very proficient with computer hardware and software, so with that said I will begin my review in 2 parts.

Part 1
I researched Webcams because I was contacted by an old friend that wanted to Skype. I really had no interest in Webcams. I do video editing most of the time, I have a Hauppauge HVR-1850 Tuner/Capture Card and most just create my own DVD's. I found allot of reviews from allot of sources, some places scored the Webcam as 7.30 of 10 (in most cases). Most recommend that it was a good middle ground purchase for the price. Most reviewed it as lacking some feature but making up the lack of features in sound and video quality and performance. One thing I can state as a fact is everyone has made the same comment about the software, that it is crappy, "kludge", the Blue Screen of Death, resource hog, and the list goes on.

My opinion / observation
The installation was a snap, I am running Windows XP (SP3) (using for compatibility that I need to keep for work) I have a Windows 7 Machine (not Tested on yet), Windows 8 (not test on yet), MAC G3 OSX 10.4 (not tested on yet), HP DL-385 Fedora 14 (probably won't test on). For the Windows XP Machine just plugged in the HP HD-3110 and it loaded the drivers and I was working. I could use Windows Explorer to view video. I loaded into Windows Live Messenger and loaded fine. I loaded it in Pinnacle Studio 12, this is where I had issue. Could view but could not capture video. Was trying MPEG2 720x480 29.997 Fps setting and it would capture about 11 seconds and the freeze. It was not the WebCam but an issue with Pinnacle Studio. However I was able to capture in Pinnacle when I set the capture setting to AVI 352x240 29.997 fps audio 16 bit 44,100 uncompressed and it captured fine, and the video and audio was very clear. I then loaded it in a older program WinAvi Converter and the WebCam worked flawlessly, was very surprised at the quality of the video. Now I know that the Webcam was not intended for this purpose but in my book it preformed very will in none standard appliance which speaks worlds for the quality of the camera.

I will not comment on the software because I never cracked the seal on the disk. I was able to update the firmware, no issues there, I need to test on the Windows 7 and Windows 8 but with the new firmware already updated I cannot test the upgrade process on those platforms. I have not tested the WebCam with Skype, but I have tested the WebCam with Windows Live Messenger and that work great.

Part 2 will include test for Skype.

In conclusion
I find that this is a very good product in the middle of the field for price and performance. Works right out of the box without having to install the drivers from the DVD. I do agree that the stand or clip is low par and in most cases people will have an issue with attaching it to LCD and Monitors. The video and audio quality is very good. I would agree that it is about a 7.3 to 7.5 on a scale of 10. As far as the nightmare stories of the installation or drivers or firmware upgrade, I cannot comment as I did not experience any of those issue, but remember I did not load any of the provided software. Just a note all hardware and software on platforms are different regardless if the machines are the same model and make and running the same operating system, it is impossible to create 2 identical systems they will always be different. So take the nightmare stories with a grain of salt, not every piece of hardware or Software works on every system even if it is suppose too, and that is usually caused by other software being incompatible or electrical components falling just short of specific build parameters of the MFG original spec. causing unpredictable results.

I am very happy with this product, quite surprised at its performance and quality. I would highly recommend for general Video Chat, Video Email and Conferencing. I would not recommend for High level video capture just not meant for that purpose. Snapshot image capture is good as most Digital camera in the 2.0 to 5.0 Megapixels range.

What else can I say Solid Product

Part 2.

I have now installed Skype. This issues reported here are Skype issues and my computer and not the webcam. I could not get Skype version 6.xx to work on my system. Allot of compatibility issues with other installed software and my firewall and Anti-Virus software. With that said I researched the internet and from the Skype Forum I found a solution that worked. I downloaded and installed Skype Version 4.0.32.226. That version installed without any issues. They only issue I had was with the sign in. I could not use the Windows Live Linked account it would not recognize my username and password, which is a common issue with Skype and Windows Live.

Test

I was able to make several video and audio calls. It was quite simple once I got Skype installed. Skype (4.0.32.226) recognized the camera right out of the gate. The microphone work like a charm and the sound and video quality is very very good. The Auto-focus is a very nice feature. As stated before I did not install any of the accompanying software. Just the drivers and Skype and I was off and Video chatting in less the 5 minute (minus the time spent getting Skype installed.) The Video is seamless, not choppy, or jerky. I did not notice any graininess in the video, but I had proper lighting, so low light will need to be tested.

Finally conclusion

This is a very good mid range web camera. HP did a well job on compatibility because I was able to Plug and Play, no need to mess around with drivers. The video is clear, clean and sharp. No jerkiness, or chopping even when I move allot. Has a great wide angle view which is really nice. Sound is very good as well, noise cancellation work well and it pick up low voices and does not have an echo. One disadvantage I have yet to get the buttons on the camera to work. I have installed the Button Manager software, but after reading you need the Utility.exe in the AcroSoft directory to manage the buttons since I did not and do not want to install the accompanying software I will do without the Button, but HP should have made that separate.

I am very happy with this purchase and product. Buy it you can not go wrong.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bloated software, doesn't work, July 28, 2012

The audio on this thing is wonderful, everything comes through loud and crystal clear, everything else is terrible. The software it comes with is your typical bloated HP software does way more than you would ever want to, takes up a lot of memory, and is more confusing than helpful. When using Firefox, I got the camera to work a max of three minutes before it finally crashed flash, we'll call that a problem with Firefox. I tried Chrome, and it worked after much trying. When I switched programs and used Google Hangouts, the video wouldn't work at all. I could get audio, no video though. I tried unistalling and reinstalling everything from the CD and by drivers found elsewhere (by the way, don't look on the HP website for drivers, they won't let you download them, they only send you a CD).

The software itself is just confusing and not good to use. For some reason, to get the camera to start you have to open settings. To launch a specific application like Google Chat or Skype (which you will need to download a firmware update), you have to go through another menu and use that. Sometimes when you launch a webpage that uses a webcam, it will launch automatically, but it's pretty much a gamble if that will happen. Even when it does work then, the video still doesn't always work. You can tell it launch specifically through your browser of choice, but even that doesn't really work.

The problems don't end there though, it comes with a little grip that works on some monitors but not all. I have a Dell monitor and an LG monitor. It seems to stay attached to my Dell monitor fine but sadly that's not the monitor I want to use. On my LG monitor, it doesn't stay on. It always droops down or back. After spending a lot of time trying to get it to stay in place, I finally just had to use duct tape.

All-in-all this webcam is a waste.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this webcam !, June 25, 2011
This webcam is awesome!

A great adquisition for your computer laptop and desktop. It has easy to use automatic installation, does not require to insert the dvd that comes with it. It has a menu option for background scenes, drawing, funny faces, zoom, great quality picture, etc. Oh! almost forgot!.... You can take pictures and record videos!

I bought it, cuz the brand sells itself, but I am positive this has been one of the best purchases I have done so far.
Compared to my old "ice age" Phillips webcam that used to freeze; the HP is wonderful, just perfect. I would recommended to everyone that wants to upgrade or just add some webcam action to live chat, etc.

I hope this review really helps you make up your mind about a great product!