5.0 out of 5 stars A great improvment upon an already amazing keyboard
Published on January 11, 2012 by J.F.

3.0 out of 5 stars Plus and Minus Compared to Previous
Compared to the prior version:

Plus:
- USB Adapter is much smaller and doesn't blink bright blue light
- Less places to get dirt between keys

Minus:
- Keys are no longer sculptured. Seem to be completely flat.
- Slightly noisier

Published 22 months ago by M. Morin

5.0 out of 5 stars A great improvment upon an already amazing keyboard, January 11, 2012
J.F. (Maumee, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP Wireless Elite Keyboard v2 (Personal Computers)
The new HP elite v2 wireless keyboard is an amazing improvement upon the original. It' sleek, slim, has nicer keys, and low travel distance for each push. My favorite new feature is obviously the design change of the keys themselves. Before on the original elite keyboard, the keys were so flat and pushed next to one another, I felt like I was always hitting the wrong letter since they were too dang close. Now with the improved design, each key has a small space between one another, and you get a tactile feel for where your fingers are while typing. This gives you better accuracy so you know what key you're hitting without even having to look down at you hands.

Another nice change is the size of the USB dongle. Before it was HUGE, like a full sized USB flash drive, now it's nice and small. Most wireless mice and keyboards now all use this smaller form factor, it's nice for laptops and desktops. Though easier to lose because of it's size, it's one of those things you'd leave plugged in 24/7 and never remove. Through the redesign and shrinkage, the annoying blue LED is now gone. I used to be blinded every time I'd type a long email or paragraph because the BRIGHT blue LED light would keep shining on every key I pushed. I'm glad they finally got rid of that!

The range of the keyboard is also really nice. This could be used as a home theater computer keyboard from across the room and on your couch. I was able to test it to about 30 feet, and I still had a strong connection between my computer and the keyboard, it typed what I pushed from 30 feet away. The back of the keyboard also has the standard prop up legs for typing at an angle. You can fold them flat if you prefer, but I have them folded out since I like my keyboard propped up from the desk a bit.

One thing that hasn't changed though is the amazing battery life. I was able to get a little over a year's worth of battery life, with hours and hours of usage everyday, from office work and emails to playing PC games. I'm glad to see the keyboard still has lengthy and extended battery life, it's just convenient to be wireless and have such a prolonged battery life, one of the things you could almost set and forget. In case you do forget, HP has also included software which monitors the battery life of your keyboard, so if you are becoming dangerously low on power, you can easily replace the batteries with a fresh batch soon.

The original was a great keyboard, and version 2 is even better. I highly recommend this to anyone who's looking for a wireless keyboard that is sleek and looks good on their desk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Keyboard I've Ever Used..., March 6, 2013
Scott Preston (East Canton, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP Wireless Elite Keyboard v2 (Personal Computers)
I work in IT for KeyBank so I've used a lot of keyboards, and this keyboard is fantastic. I now own three of them -- one for my daughter's PC, one for my main home PC, and one for my wife and my work laptops when we work remote. My wife bought a low-end Logitech keyboard because it was cheap, and quickly returned it and had me buy another one of these. Everyone in this house loves them. They are incredibly responsive, very sleek, and very easy to use.

The most important pros include:

They are completely compatible in Windows 7 & 8.
Not only are they compatible, but no configuration is even required. This includes the sleep, volume, web, and special function (Fn) buttons. I especially enjoy the new Windows 8 function button options painted on the Fn keys.

Comfortable feel.
All the keys are properly placed exactly where I expect them to be without having to hunt the keyboard. The keys also have very little travel to depress them. This is very convenient if you are a skilled typist. The keys also have a very nice tactile feedback that really let's you know you've hit the key.

Very long battery life.
While I have had to replace the batteries a few times a year, I change the batteries on these keyboards about once every couple years. There is also a tiny low battery indicator on the keyboard which is helpful.

Very durable.
Even the earliest one of these that I bought hasn't lost any of the paint off any of the keys after three years of use. They have taken a lot of use and abuse and still work like new.

Shallow sealed key design.
These keyboards are very easy to clean. Dirt doesn't really have a place to nest or get under the keys like on many other keyboards I've used.

Link-5.
I can use a single dongle in one USB port and it controls the mouse(mice) and keyboard(s). It controls up to five devices which is great if you have limited USB ports. This is becoming standard, but I'll still give it a spot on the pro list.

Sharp look and slim design.
It just looks good sitting on any desk. It's also very slim so it's easy to manipulate. I have an HP TouchSmart PC, and it easily slides under it if I need extra desk space. I'm not a fan of bulky design, ergonomics, or wrist rests. Just give me a nice keyboard.

The cons include:

F, J, and 5 button indicators.
This is the only real con I can find with this keyboard. The little F, J, and 5 indicator bump on the keys that you need for proper finger placement are there, but they could be a little more pronounced. The last HP keyboard I owned was slightly more pronounced which made the keys easy to find. I'm getting used to it, but I find I have to rub around the keys a little to confirm I have the right keys. If you're a hunt-and-pecker, it won't matter, but if you're a touch typist, it will take some getting used to.

In closing:
I highly recommend this keyboard to anyone that wants an excellent, comfortable, and durable keyboard. It will last for years and you won't be disappointed. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply Put:, December 5, 2011
This review is from: HP Wireless Elite Keyboard v2 (Personal Computers)
Pros:
1. Very simple yet sexy.
2. Very thin, yet the weight is enough for it to make it not seem cheap in any way.
3. has separate buttons for sleep, volume up/down/mute and browser.
4. the whole keyboard is very well built and feels extremely solid. even the keys feel very well biult unlike some other hp and logitech keys.
5. has a nano receiver instead of those big receivers some previous hp keyboards had. and no connections problems either.
6. heaven for typing for someone used to laptop keyboards, due to the thin scissor keys.
7. even though these are not built for gaming, it seems to work fine. personally, played with GTA4, NFS world, BF BC2, COD MW/ MW2 / MW3 and a few other similar games.
8. no compatibility issues at-all with windows 7.
9. even though the keys are not illuminated, the alphabets are greatly visible.

Cons:
1. Does not have an on/off button like the ones in logitech keyboards.
2. doesn't have separate buttons for media. u need to press FN and the F-keys to use those
3. like 98% of keyboards out there, it doesn't have the option for controlling brightness; like there is on built-in laptop keyboards.
4. battery life is less compared to some other logitech keybaords.
5. some might find the whole keyboard thin and compact, but a bit too long.
6. no Capslock/scroll-lock/numlock indicator.
7. no programmable buttons what-so-ever.

SUMMARY: very simple, elegant, thin and well built keyboard. Lacks a few sometimes-handy buttons. Lacks an on/off button, which hp should work on. Only if it had all those buttons, i would've rated it 5 stars. feels great! would definitely recommend it to someone who is used to scissor keys/laptop keyboard. And it comes at a pretty decent price as-well .

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Keyboard, May 2, 2012
This review is from: HP Wireless Elite Keyboard v2 (Personal Computers)
This reminds me of a laptop keyboard, but with a better tactile feel to the keys. It's very sleek but still has plenty of space between the keys. I like the multi-function keys (saves space at the top of the keyboard). I guess I don't miss a caps lock light (as mentioned by some of the other reviewers). HOW OFTEN DO YOU USE CAPS LOCK ANYHOW? The dongle is tiny, the wireless range is good, and the keys are fairly quiet. Any by the way, it's cheap (bought for $30). Great keyboard!

3.0 out of 5 stars Plus and Minus Compared to Previous, September 15, 2012
Compared to the prior version:

Plus:
- USB Adapter is much smaller and doesn't blink bright blue light
- Less places to get dirt between keys

Minus:
- Keys are no longer sculptured. Seem to be completely flat.
- Slightly noisier

Version 1 of the keyboard lasted about two years before the "A" key quit working. Also, a few key letterings were wearing off (not injected labels). Great battery life.

Would have been a rating of 4 but lowering to three since item appeared to have been opened and was also labeled "B Stock".

4.0 out of 5 stars Great keyboard BUT..., November 11, 2012
This review is from: HP Wireless Elite Keyboard v2 (Personal Computers)
OK, so I've been in two best buy stores and two office depot stores looking for keyboards and testing the feeling from the key feedback. This was by far the best! It was even better than much more expensive keyboards like the Logitech solar keyboard, which I was considering to buy in the beginning. I've also tried various Microsoft keyboards. Setting aside $110+ mechanical keyboards that of course can't be compared, I really really liked the feeling of the HP elite keyboard. As an extra benefit, I also think it's the nicest looking. It's the slimmest keyboard for a PC in the store and also it's not huge taking up a lot of space. In summary, it's just right and it looks as very polished a modern.
However, here's what happened, I had to return the keyboard TWICE! Both times, the backspace didn't work. There was a noticeable delay in registering repeated backspace key strokes. First time, I returned it to amazon. Second time, I didn't want to wait on shipping any longer so I decided to get it from best buy. Same thing! I was starting to believe it's a defective product line! Anyhow, I returned it for an exchange giving it one more try and I'm glad I did! Now, all the keys work fine and I'm writing this review about a month after I first bought it.
So my advice to you, this is a great product with a great price, make sure you buy it from a trusted seller that has a solid return policy!

5.0 out of 5 stars CAP LOCK, NUM LOCK AND SCROLL LOCK - A SOLUTION!!, February 18, 2013
This review is from: HP Wireless Elite Keyboard v2 (Personal Computers)
As many reviewers pointed out, there is no indication, lights or otherwise, that you have engaged Cap Lock, Num Lock or Scroll Lock. However, here's the solution: Use your preferred search engine and type in (on your new HP Wireless Elite Keyboard V2) "HP Keyboard OSD Application." [On Screen Display]. This download is from HP, so I felt there was no risk of fouling up my computer. There is a download for Windows 8; another for previous versions of Windows. That was the only problem I had with this keyboard. I'm purchasing my third keyboard today. I'm gifting to my friends and relatives because it's so awesome. Be sure to use the correct HP Keyboard OSD Application for your operating system.

4.0 out of 5 stars ALMOST Perfect, November 24, 2012
This review is from: HP Wireless Elite Keyboard v2 (Personal Computers)
I was really hoping that this was going to be a five star keyboard. Everything is amazing about this keyboard, speed, looks, quality, except for one crucial thing; The finger placement markers on the F and J are so small and hard to feel that this keyboard would make the most professional touch typist uncomfortable to type on. i Still hit around 85wpm average with daily typing, but my god this keyboard was so close to being perfect and so eaily, i may just put some extra epoxy on those particular letters so they have more of a feel to them, then it will be perfect. cheers HP :).

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice Keyboard, August 14, 2012
This review is from: HP Wireless Elite Keyboard v2 (Personal Computers)
I always loved the tactile feel of the IBM Model M type mechanical keyboards, and had been using them almost exclusively for the last ten years. But, alas, as the world moved on to those cheap and mushy, but much quieter keyboards, my clickety-clacking was starting to dominate all the other sounds in the office, and I could tell it was starting to become a distraction to other people.

So my hunt for a new keyboard started about 2 years ago, I tried all manner of them but nothing ever compared. I would use them for a few days to a few months, but just could not get comfortable with them, my typing suffered, the keys were too "mushy", or too close together, or too "vague" feeling; so before long I was hooking up the old mechanical keyboard again.

Then last year I decided to try something totally different, something with flat keys instead of the raised keys that I was used to, which led me to this keyboard. I really wasn't expecting much, since I wasn't a fan of the laptop keyboards this reminded me of, but to my great surprise, I really liked it.

Although it has "laptop" keys, this keyboard is regular sized, which allows for better spacing of the keys so my fingers don't accidentally hit more than one key at a time; the key travel is precise and consistent so I know exactly how much pressure to apply for each keystroke; the thin, flat profile is actually quite comfortable even after hours of typing. All this adds up to my typing accuracy being back to where it was with the mechanical keyboard, and my co-workers can all breathe a collective sigh of relief!

I also discovered an added bonus: Far less chance of food crumbs getting stuck between the keys!

I've been using it for about a year now, and still have no desire to dust off the old IBM keyboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Wireless Keyboard, November 15, 2012
This review is from: HP Wireless Elite Keyboard v2 (Personal Computers)
I originally bought the HP Wireless Elite Keyboard V1 about 3 years ago. I really loved the feel and layout of the keyboard. Just recently the C key started acting up where I would have to push it hard and dead center for it to register. I got fed up with it and decided to order a new keyboard. I first purchased the Logitech K360. While I liked that keyboard I was really missing the feel of my HP Elite. I then ordered the Elite V2 and I'm sold for life on this product line. The keyboard feels more like a laptop keyboard with low key travel. I really like this feel over a normal feeling keyboard. This makes the keyboard small and light and works well as my keyboard for my Home Theater PC. The addition of the small USB receiver makes this a great upgrade from the original.

HP Wireless Elite Keyboard v2