5.0 out of 5 stars Great specs for the price...
I purchased this laptop a week ago and when it arrived it was covered in some sort of grainy/chalky dust and the bottom port that houses the RAM, etc was somehow bent like it had been scewed on without being positioned correctly. I used Amazon's chat feature and the representative was very friendly and sent out a replacement laptop which arrived the very next day...
Published on February 21, 2012 by Mark

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Quality!!
First of all... if you review a computer after 1 week of use you are not very smart. I have had this laptop for over 9 months and so far my fears of bad quality have been confirmed.

pros;
fast, sleek design, light, does not over heat

cons:
Published on March 19, 2012 by Gene

5.0 out of 5 stars Great specs for the price..., February 21, 2012
Mark (Indiana, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP dm4-3050us (14.0-Inch Screen) Laptop (Personal Computers)

This one was a keeper. I had been looking for a long time for a laptop that was very portable and had plenty of power for school work and occassional entertainment, this one really fit the bill. Excellent laptop, especially for the $619.99 price tag.

The Intel i5 processor, 6GB of RAM, and the 750GB HDD can more than handle word processing, GIMP, iTunes, etc without any hiccups. I know you're not going to be able to play a lot of newer games on the Intel HD Graphics 3000, like Skyrim, Batman, etc, but you'd be surprised at what you could play. I downloaded League of Legends and was able to play it on its highest settings without a problem at all. Ran great.

The battery is rated for 7.5 hours, which I don't know of any battery that achieves what it's advertised to get, but just browsing the internet and typing I get a solid 5 hours out of this machine. That's pretty good.

One reason I chose this laptop was for the 14" screen. So far it's been great to carry around in my backpack. The actual screen itself is sharp with good brightness. My only complaint would be the colors. I think mine need adjusted, but not much of a big deal to me.

I haven't done much with the built-in HP TrueVision HD camera other than playing with it, but it's actually a really nice camera. Very clear. The low lighting feature is really nice. Doesn't look muddy and super dark like most other laptop webcams.

The Beats Audio is okay. I was listening to music off of YouTube and messed around with the settings on it. The speakers on this laptop are pretty good in my opinion. Like the camera, the quality is a lot better than what I'd found on other laptops.

I really like the finger reader on this laptop. Really easy to set up and makes it much easier to login without typing my password over and over.

For the most part this laptop is perfect for my needs. If I had to make one suggestion that really would have made this laptop even more amazing would be a backlit keyboard. Definitely not a deal breaker, but would of been something I'd personally like to have.

I got this laptop for about $620 and then it shot up in price. Hopefully it comes back down and more people are able to get their hands on it. Really great setup for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it - read why!, May 9, 2012
I actually read the 1 star review on here before purchasing my HP DM43050us and it gave me pause.

I am glad I decided to follow my own instincts. This laptop is so awesome, I am headed back to school after 25 years, I have also been an eBay Power Seller for 10 years and use this in my vintage collectibles search and research.

If you pay attention to the HP recommendations you will be thrilled with the product. If you run it on battery without power saving options then I am sure it runs down faster, I get 6 to 7 hours out of my battery, but I am old school, when I first got it I let the battery charge all the way up and then ran it all the way down 3 times to make sure I get a good charge! I know they say the new batteries don't need that done but I figure it cannot hurt!

The keyboard is awesome, they call it island style I guess, it is the easiest laptop keyboard I have ever typed on. I have been and Administrative Assistant for the last 20+ years and I have done a LOT of typing. I am a soft touch - no need to pound on it or the mouse, it is responsive and comfortable!

The mouse pad is a dream, not only can you turn it off if you are using an attached mouse so you don't end up some place your wrist accidentally sent you, but the scrolling and set-up options are really customizable and it took very few uses to get the hang of the pressure and movements to get the most out of it.

My above all favorite is the Simple Pass fingerprint program. I thought Firefox was going to be my password remembering demise... this lets me swipe a finger and open whatever I have it set to. Facebook, Gmail, eBay, Amazon and more - 10 fingers 10 settings - some swipes open multiple things at one time! The best part - I swipe my finger and it opens my desktop and my stuff. My partner swipes her finger and she has her desktop and all of her stuff. We can both work on the same PC seamlessly - and at the same time - researching different things and checking eBay and all lightening fast.

Also love the cool sense system... my old laptop used to get so hot it made me nervous... this one is quiet, cool and light...

I am now ready for school to start! Bring it on!!

Hope this helps the folks that are reading the one bad review and assures you he is probably of the 1% that just cannot be pleased. I am a real person, real buyer, not a company employee! I am IT savvy and I am actually going back to school for a Computer Information Systems degree. I wrote this review because I am thrilled I followed my instinct and wanted to reassure anyone else that researched the laptop and worried about a bad review!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little laptop, March 7, 2012
J. Riley (New Mexico USA) - See all my reviews
March 07, 2012~
My girlfriend purchased this laptop but I had the 'pleasure' of removing all the bloatware and installing programs she actually needs for college/everyday use. I purchased a 16gb flash drive for the recovery and it apparently all fit as it completed the process (the reason I mention this is all the information I found said to get a 32 GB flash card or use DVD's) the recovery files require around 15 gigs in space (the 16gb flash card had 14.8 according to Windows); Although I have not tested the recovery yet and hope I never have to.

Be warned that it took over an hour to create the recovery 'disk' so plan on starting it and walking away for a while I was under the impression it would take around 30 minutes. I then used CCleaner and pcdecrapifier to remove the majority of the bloatware followed by ninite to one click install antivirus/photo editing/online storage etc.

We purchased this at a brick and mortar store locally for 649.99 with $150 in mail-in rebates for a final cost of 499.99 and for that price there wasn't anything that I saw that could compete.

While I will not be the primary user of this laptop I do get to tinker around with it for a few days before she steals it back, the only 'complaint' I have has already been mentioned in that the DVD drive door is slightly difficult to open. I have had several laptops in the past and most of them would accidentally open at the slightest touch. I'm not sure that making it harder to pop the bay is a bad thing; However, my concern is that with the force required to pop the tray out it may end up failing faster than normal.

Why did I rate it 4/5 and not 5/5? It's an HP, and as anyone who's ever owned an HP in the last 5 or so years can tell you they cram them full of software you don't necessarily need. I understand that companies pay HP to load that software and that's part of the reason I'm getting it at a low price. I'm a PC guy but another gripe I have in general is that PC's haven't integrated the magnetic charging (MagSafe) similar to what Mac's have been using since 2006.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Students, February 9, 2012
The summer before I began college, I sat down and compiled a list of items I needed to purchase before the first day of classes. On the top of my list was a laptop to carry to class and do my homework with. While researching, I discovered that not all laptops are created equal. When I went to purchase my laptop, I was looking for certain features, including a web cam, Microsoft Office 2010, a long battery life, and a light weight. In July, I purchased an HP Pavilion dm4 from Best Buy. After using my laptop for a semester, I have to say that I love all the features, and I would recommend it to any college student.
The best feature about this HP is the long battery life. If I am not running an abundant amount of programs at once, my battery can last for six or seven hours. This is very helpful when in class all day because I do not have to charge it between classes. Another one of my favorite features its weight. It weighs just over four pounds, so it does not weigh my backpack down and it is easy to carry around campus. My family owns another laptop, but it is too heavy to carry around all day. This laptop is also small enough to see over when using it in class, but still big enough to see the screen when typing or surfing the Internet.
I wanted my laptop to have a web cam so I could Skype with my friends who went away to college. This laptop's web cam is easy to use and has a very good picture when video chatting with others. I also needed Microsoft 2010 on my laptop for class. When I purchased my laptop from Best Buy, it came with a discount for the program. This was very useful because it saved me money and the programs are a college necessity.
The speed of this laptop is another very positive feature. I can run multiple web sites at the same time while listening to music. I have many albums in my iTunes library, and it does not slow down the speed of my laptop. However, running multiple web sites while listening to music does affect the battery life by an hour at the most. My laptop is actually faster than my family's desktop computer.
While there are many positive features, there is one feature that I do not like. When typing, it is easy to set the lock on the touchpad mouse. After setting the lock, it is very difficult to figure out how to unlock it, since the mouse doesn't work. I have purchased a wireless mouse for my laptop, which helps me when the mouse locks. That is the one feature I would change. Instead I would like a button next to the touchpad that locks the mouse, which is what my family's HP laptop has.
Based on my experience, I would recommend this laptop to every college student. It is very practical and functional for taking notes in class and completing homework assignments. The battery life is unbeatable. It is convenient to carry around camps, and the price is extremely reasonable. It is not the most "high tech" laptop on the market, but it has the important features needed to succeed and learn in college.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Laptop for the price., April 18, 2012
Nelson Gomez (Bronx, New York.) - See all my reviews
i bought this laptop few days ago, and i have to say that i'm pleased.

This laptop have some nice specs for the price and have a good finish and the the black aluminum lid its a nice touch.

Keyboard: 7/10
The keypads feels great and respond very well.

Audio: 9/10
The software for the audio and the speakers do a very good job too, sharp sound plus build sound buffer, golden :)

Video & Display: 6/10
Internal video graphics (Intel HD Graphics 3000), not the best but does the job as usual. Sharp and color full screen.

Storage: 8.0/10
750GB, :) enough for movies HD, a lot of music, and stuff, the bad thing is the 5400rpm speed for the hard drive, but it not a big deal.

Ramm and System: 8.5/10
Smoot and Sweet perfomance, comes with W7 HP :(

Battery Life and Weigth. 8/10
HP said 7.5 hours nominally i mean surfing, music, office, etc; but the battery work for about 5 hours.
Just 4.33 lbs is great for 14.0-inch Display

Connectivity: 9/10
2 USB PORTS, 1 USB 3.0, Media reader
WLAN and Bluetooth
Widi is a plus too.

IN THE END THIS LAPTOP IT'S A NICE DEAL FOR STUDENTS, HOME USE AND OFFICE TOO.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds GOOD!! Fast enough Processor, April 10, 2012
I just bought this HP dm4-3050us 14" Notebook.
I was going to buy HP ENVY Ultrabook. But, ENVY U-book has about 3.8lb weight.
This dm4-3050us has about 4.2 lb. weight with DVD Driver & 750GB HDD!!
PLUS, it costs me about 1/2 the price.

I need my home-use Notebook. (I will get a new Mobile PC at my work.)
I want to have a good processor which is able to video conversion for my iPad and watch video streaming.
This notebook can do all I want to do without any stress.

BEATS audio sounds much more that I expected.
I do not need any external speaker if I watch video myself.
This BEATS audio added extra value to this notebook.

I would recommend to anyone who is looking for relatively portable entertainment notebook.

I compared similar renge notebooks, Acer, Lenovo, Dell, Toshiba.
I like this HP notebook the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little laptop., March 6, 2012
chris (cortland, ohio United States) - See all my reviews
I have been using this laptop for a couple of days and I am very surprised with it so far. This replaced a 13" macbook pro with the i5 processor which I returned due to a optical drive issue and even though the build quality isn't as good as the macbook, this laptop excels past the macbook when it comes to heat distribution. The macbook would get pretty warm to the point that it would become uncomfortable to sit it on my lap, but it appears as though HP has solved the heat problems that we all have dealt with. This laptop only gets slightly warm on the left side and very little anywhere else.

The only thing that is missing that I would like to have had is a backlit keyboard, but considering the price difference, I will survive. Also, I wish the trackpad was slightly larger as well as larger left and right click buttons, but this could be due to my large hands/fingers.

An excellent laptop for a student or for anyone where size is an issue.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Quality!!, March 19, 2012

pros;
fast, sleek design, light, does not over heat

cons:
horrible keyboard (read reviews on HP website)... the cursor skips around, key stopped working after 4 months and the overall design is cheap and horrible to write with for an extended period of time
wireless connection gets dropped all the time. i have read this issue in many many reviews
lots of bloatware and constant HP updates are very annoying
battery drains within 2 hours! The promise per HP was 6 hours... yea thats not happening
my screen crapped out after 5 months! i started getting weird discoloring when i swiveled my screen and now its completely gone.

i had really really high hopes and was really excited about this laptop but overall this is not a good product. dont make the same mistake i did. read all the "honest" reviews on hp website (not the fake ones that say "this is great get it now". I feel like hp is really trying to cover up the issues with this computer and it's sad.

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks good on paper..., December 4, 2012
This laptop has all the hardware specs in line, but fails at real world use.

I purchased this laptop in May of 2012. I was really impressed with the performance campared to the price.
Everything looked good, but I get more disapointed everyday. I'd just like to go through a list of some of the issues I've had so far.

The screen resolution is a little too low for my taste. This is mostly my fault for picking out a notebook that is very portable. It is/was comparable to everything else on the market, but hopefully the market will dictate better screens in the future.

The Battery life is noticebly shorter than what they claim, even more so after installing an SSD. I guess that is expected though, and it isn't really a deal breaker for me.

The wireless on this machine is mediocre. I don't have much trouble with the speed, but the range is not so great compared to other similarly specced machines I have used in the same building.

I have yet to successfully burn a CD or DVD. I have tried a dozen different formats and brands with different burning software, but it always fails. It also has trouble reading discs burned on other systems, often times stalling out and refusing to spin.
I sent the machine into HP after going through troubleshooting over the phone, and it was with them for just over three weeks. About mid way through, HP called to tell me they were waiting on parts, I assured them I could wait. When the laptop was returned to me, no parts had been replaced, but the BIOS had been updated to a version not available via the drivers download page. The burner still does not work.
They did happen to send me Factory Recover Media. These DVDs do not work either becuase the drive will not read them properly, or the software used to customize the DVDs is terrible. Either way, I currently could not reinstall the copy of Windows 7 that was provided.

UEFI and BIOS are very restricted, only allowing code signed by HP to run. As far as I can tell, all of thier business line notebooks allow the use of unsigned code, but this feature has been stripped out of this notebook. I would like to boot windows 8 using UEFI to take full advantage of the features, but that is seemingly unatainable. I was going to update the firmware on my SSD while reinstalling windows, but that is also not possible because HP has disallowed running the disk in IDE mode while disabling almost all options in the BIOS.

The HP Quickweb feature wasn't a selling point to me, but I would like to mention that it is slow to load, almost defeating the purpose it is supposed to serve. I seem to remember that in older versions(on other models), you could boot into windows right from Quickweb without shutting down, but this model/software requires a cold reboot.

I would like to add that I haven't had any issues with the keyboard and the ports are spaced conveniently around the case. Nothing gets blocked by using a mouse, printer, ethernet, or output display. Hinges are nice, feel solid.

If you happen to make it through this giant rant/review, consider yourself warned against purchasing HP notebooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, February 18, 2012
I love this laptop, it has been worth every penny. I can have my music, schoolwork, pictures and whatever else i may want on it. I was worried about ordering it online but i received it one piece and very quickly! I am constantly coming across new stuff that makes it even better. The look is simple and sleek. I adore the fingerprint scanner, just one slide of my finger and im logged in. I encourage whoever is considering to buy this laptop to buy it. You will not regret it.

HP dm4-3050us (14.0-Inch Screen) Laptop