Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on September 3, 2015
I purchased this laptop a few years back as my daily driver, but have hardly used it since I switched to a MacBook. Recently I decided to sell my Mac on a transition to back to Windows PCs and decided to hop back on this HP G6 during my search for a new laptop. But using this laptop again reminded me of my duty to report on a flaw that I can no longer keep silent about. This was the first personal computer I bought fully off my own money during high school. I remember the day running home from school to unbox this very HP delivered by amazon. And while that box is lying in the back of my closet, I still remember that day very fondly. I admired every bit of this laptop-- from the modern font used on the keyboard to the shiny HP logo proudly worn on the back of my laptop screen. My trust for HPs had extended from being over at my friend’s house where his HP gaming desktop was on 24 HOURS A DAY, ready to game the second he woke up and the second he came home from school, but I digress. My computer worked perfectly for everything from using Microsoft Office, watching YouTube, and playing computer games like Wizard 101 for hours of enjoyment.

The troubles came in when I noticed that paint was wearing off from the most used spots on the laptop- the touch pad, left click button, and the palm rest areas. But I had babied this laptop, never having spent so much money on a single item before. I was shocked to see what had become of it. Gratefully, it was under warranty, so there was no issue with chatting online with an HP rep and sending the laptop in for repair. I dismissed it as just an isolated issue, yet upon receiving the laptop back, although the cover surrounding the keyboard was replaced, there were new markings. For instance, it the technician had scratched the wide power button as he was fixing my laptop, so I could see even more light from underneath the button extend through the cracks of the silver paint. There was also another paint chip on the new silver area of the newly replaced top cover. I dismissed these markings though as I didn't want deal with the trouble of another interruption of computer use over this, and told myself to be more careful.

Over the next few months the same thing began to reoccur, but I wasn’t stuck in the Bermuda triangle. The silver paint from the identical “high traffic” finger areas of the track pad were beginning to wear off again in the same way. Of course though, by the time I got around to contact HP for another repair, I was a week past the end of my warranty. It might’ve been my fault for not being on top of this, or for not purchasing extended warranty, but for a recurring issue like this… To my dismay once you’re out of HP’s warranty coverage, you are no longer allowed to contact support directly using chat, instead advised to post on their support forums. Let me just say it was as ineffective as you can expect, and what many would call a “waste of time”.

I searched on the internet for replacement parts for it, but found many that were being sold to also have paint beginning to chip in the same areas. I wasn’t willing to continually invest on something that would need to be repaired time after time.
I decided to go along with it, but one day I had to take my laptop to work on something outdoors. It wasn’t that hot out— 70-80 degree California weather under a patio umbrella. Yet edges of the spots where the paint had begun to chip away was beginning to curl and lift up, rubbing away and sticking to the palm of my hands. Quick thinking to bring my laptop back inside allowed me to salvage the remaining “paint job”.

But I thought…
WHAT IS A LAPTOP if I can’t use it outdoors?
WHAT IS A LAPTOP if I can’t use it while I eat because the paint is constantly chipping away onto my hands and fingers?
WHAT IS A LAPTOP if it is controlling the way I work and what I can do?
Laptops were invented and built for function and productivity, and I soon figured out that this hp was severely limiting those fundamental features for me. And this is coming from a household that owns an IBM ThinkPad laptop that still runs windows 3.1 like new and doesn’t even show a bit of wear. I don’t know whether HP used defective paint, a flawed design, or unknowingly sacrificed the fundamental features of a laptop while sacrificing quality. But I do know that it can’t be great for their reputation and that I’m absolutely disappointed.

It’s ironic that HP support assistant lies on my desktop reminding me about important power adapter recalls or software updates, yet contrary to its very name, communication flows like a one way street the day your warranty runs out.

I am now on the search for a new laptop. And to be honest, I’ve had nothing against HP. I’ve been wary of their products ever since the experience, but I’ve since checked out their new Spectre x360 and I wouldn’t mind owning it or being sent one. In fact, I’ve had many great experiences with HP back at my friend’s house and on my own growing up, I’ve read and watched hundreds of great reviews about them, and I know that they still make some excellent machines, many that I still “envy” over!
I still bike past him on Sand Hill road all the time, and when I see him I don’t bike faster or reroute to avoid eye contact. I still stop, give him a nod, take it all in, and then take a few selfies with him.
And by him, I mean good ol’ Hewlett Packard.

The reason I am able to show you the very images of the problem that has plagued me through these years is that the issue still remains the same to this day.
review image review image review image review image
on May 9, 2013
You get what you pay for....money is hard to come by being a single mom. THe computer was a gift for my daughter heading of to college and when it arrived it was broke. No backround light att all. I was highly dissapointed as was my daughter.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 30, 2011
Sorry Amazon but I did get mine used off craigslist. It's been great though. My previous computer was a Mac Mini G4 so I was a good 6 years behind, but I didn't want to drop a lot of cash for a new computer. This HP has been great. I use it to surf the net, listen to music with Spotify and download with uTorrent, and it does all this perfectly. I even watch 720p movies with it and it plays them back perfectly (no clipping or wierd video artifacts).
After using this very budget friendly laptop for a month now I've reached a conclusion about laptop buying right now. It's not that computers are over priced, it's that people buy way too much computer for their needs. I honestly don't know what I'd do with an Intel i3 or i5 processor. This cheapy AMD entry level processor has done everything I've thrown at it with ease.