5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent upgrade!
Published on February 13, 2012 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Wi-Fi Reception
Published on May 6, 2012 by Tonya Schulte

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent upgrade!, February 13, 2012
Amazon Customer "RR :-)" (Bronx, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP g7-1310us (17.3-Inch Screen) Laptop (Personal Computers)
OK, so to add some perspective to this I will say that I upgraded from a 4 year old underpowered Dell laptop with barely a gig of RAM so any upgrade would be a good one for me. That being said, I am still very impressed with my initial experience with this product. I got it for what I consider to be a very reasonable price - under $550 and less than it would have cost direct from HP, even with their promotions and dicounts. The 640gb hard drive is huge for a relatively 'normal' user like me; I have a digital photo album, about 500-600 songs and a few videos saved so storage is not likely to be an issue for me. It comes with 6gb of RAM so the performance is pretty speedy (for me, it's lightning fast compared to my old Dell but that is probably not the case for many others). Set up was a breeze and it worked smoothly right out of the box. My only issue is that I had some older software that is no longer compatible with Windows 7 but that's not an HP issue and it's a minor point regardless.

So, I've only had it for about 5 days but so far it's great. As I said the screen looks great - love the 17" size which will come in handy when I stream movies from Amazon. The responsiveness and boot up times are very good so far. The other surprising thing, pleasantly, is how light it is for it's size. I'm not saying I would carry it around with me everywhere but if/when I do need to move it around I can tell that it won't be very much of a burden.

So all in all very satisfied with this upgrade and would certainly recommend this for any normal uses like general web browsing. Not sure what serious gamers would think - I imagine this isn't targeted at them anyway - but I do play an online golf game with pretty good graphics and it performs very well. Hope my initial impressions are helpful to someone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Speed/Excellent Resolution For A BIG Laptop, February 10, 2012
I'd purchased this to replace a $350 Toshiba POS laptop (lol) for my 17 year old daughter. When we received it...we were both impressed at how thin it was for a sizable laptop (over 17"). As an ex-IT admin...I can easily say the most important thing to look for in a laptop is the RAM, which will determine how fast (or slow) your computing experience will be. The hard drive size isn't too important with the large HD sizes currently available. Trust me when I say that if even if you're a heavy downloader/internet user...it'll be a LONG time before you come close to using up 640KB of HD space. That's over a half a TB...which is a LOT of space! Let me break it down into pros/cons:

PROS:
Incredibly fast start. The "welcome screen" pops up with very minimal delay...even after a reboot.
Excellent display clarity - I'd rate it equivalent to most HDTV's.
Very fast downloading/use of internet
Style wise, it looks impressive & has the technology to match
Minimal "crapware"
Boasts 6GB RAM for a very reasonable price

CONS:
Makes Mom's 1 year old, 15" HP laptop look like a sluggish netbook (not that I'm jealous...lol).

All in all, for $529, this is an amazing deal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I was looking for, February 9, 2012
I purchased a HP g7-1310us (17.3-Inch Screen) Laptop and it was delivered within 2 days. I mainly use it for work and it has all the features I was looking for. The monitor is huge, which I love. The keyboard is big. Resolution for camera is awesome. It's very fast and I can't wait to use it everyday. It's pewter color and slim. Fabulous !

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Laptop, February 18, 2012
J. E. Stone (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Just got this laptop last week, and I am VERY happy. I use it mainly for internet browsing, Email, Skype, and movies. A breeze to set up, didn't even have to read directions. It practically set itself up :-) Love the screen resolution. I do not do gaming, if that is your intent, you may want to increase graphics capability. This is a great laptop, at an excllent pricepoint. Very quick response, and reboot time. One tiny annoyance is the "hard click" on the buttons below the touchpad, but I can live with it. The touchpad itself is great and has high sensitivity. Overall, I love it, and would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Known Facts, April 29, 2012
There's some little known facts about this product that nobody else has mentioned before and maybe you should know:

PROS:
+ You CAN scroll up/down on the touchpad as it comes configured to scroll with two fingers at the same time but you can configure it the way you want it to scroll by just accessing the control panel > hardware and sound > synaptics touchpad.
+ The Speakers are good and loud for a laptop.
+ There's actually led indicators for HDD, power, disc tray, num lock,caps lock, battery charge, webcam indicator, ON/OFF wireless indicator, ON/OFF touchpad indicator.
+ Very quiet fan: you can only really hear the fan when turning ON the laptop afterwards it goes really quiet.
+ The battery charge can last (with the power saver option) 4+ hours which is good for a laptop with a big and vibrant screen.

Neutral:
+- The Windows Experience Index awards this laptop with a score of: 5.7 which is determined by the lowest subscore (Graphics: aero performance on a desktop but Gaming graphics has a score of 6.3!), this is good considering that this laptop doesn't have a dedicated graphics card.

CONS:
- There's a lot of bloatware indeed but it can be easily removed.
- The Design of the up/down arrows is not optimal but usable.
- The max resolution for the webcam is 640x480.

So there you have it, the pros out-weight the cons and for a laptop on this price range it's a very good buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good Everyday Use Laptop, May 5, 2012
For those of us who would like a larger screen, but a portable computer, this laptop is ideal and it offers many benefits.

* Windows Performance Index of 5.7 on a scale of 1-7.9, but is limited by the video card. Processor is ranked at 6.3. To move up the performance scale significantly you would have to spend nearly $300 more.
* Relatively light weight for a 17" laptop.
* The processor is an Intel i3 processor, which makes it snappy.
* Great RAM, 6GB, and 640 GB HDD.
* Video card is decent, but this is not a gaming machine and for the price it quite good.
* The screen is 1600x900 pixels which means it is ideal for watching video and it is LED backlit for great uniform brightness and colors.
* It has an SD card slot, DVD-RW, 802.11 b/g/n, and Bluetooth 2.0.
* Decent battery life given the battery size, processor, and screen.
* Fast boot up time.
* Aesthetically pleasing shell.

The negatives about this laptop are:

* Network card is 10/100 Mb/s whereas it would have been just as easy to put in a 100/1000 Mb/s controller. This means that transferring data across a fast internal home network will be slow.
* The track pad is slow in responsiveness.
* The keyboard feels unnecessarily cheap and if you type a lot and fast, you damage a key.
* The screen hinges are also unnecessarily cheap that you could possibly break, and in fast opening and closing they seem to flex a bit.
* There is bloat ware on this laptop, but is removable. There is no reason to buy Norton or McCaffe and it is better to use MS Essentials which is free.
* HP doesn't provide a restore disk with the drivers; they are on a partition on the HDD. There is also no Windows 7 media disc should you need to reinstall Windows 7.
* HP customer service is usually some kid in India who is looking for a real job after college and couldn't care less about your IT problems. Don't call unless absolutely necessary.

All in all not a bad laptop, but I wouldn't pay more than $500 delivered. Amazon has had this priced under $500 regularly and can be found at Staples or other places during sales during the year for the same price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Wi-Fi Reception, May 6, 2012
If you need to use your computer on a wireless network and plan to work anywhere farther than around 10 feet from your wireless router, then I would not recommend buying this computer. We have three other laptops in our office (another HP, a Toshiba and a Mac) and all three work in our office at around 100 feet from the router. From the time we received this computer, we found that we had to be in the same room to get any wireless signal at all from the router and even then it often dropped the signal. After quite a bit of research (including a whole bunch of questions just like this on the HP forums: [...]) we realized there was a problem with the wireless adaptor on this particular model. After spending about two hours on the phone with HP's customer support only to be told that there was nothing they could do and that our wireless adaptor was only rated for about a 10 foot range from the router, we have decided to return this product to Amazon and try to find a different computer that we will be able to use in our office.

5/7/12 UPDATE -

1. I spoke with a cousin of mine who has worked with computers for years and he said that this is a design flaw with this particular model. He says that the antenna cord runs through the hinge of the laptop to the screen - and the surface of the screen works as the main portion of the antenna to pick up wireless signal from longer distances. Apparently sometimes the antenna cord becomes broken right there at the hinge, leaving you with only a small amount of antenna cord - just enough to pick up from a few feet away from the router.

2. HP customer service is really awful. Not only did we waste two hours of our time on the phone yesterday with a customer service rep who did not know anything about the problem and had my husband do useless needless things which did not fix our problem, at the end of the call when it was apparent that this product was not meeting our needs the response from that customer service rep was, "Well, sorry." No offer to try to find another product for us or to try to fix the problem in any way. Then a different rep called my husband today and she insisted that he write down her call back information even though he repeatedly tried to explain that UPS had already picked up this computer for return to Amazon. Finally, after he let her tell him the call back info she asked him if she could help resolve his problem and he again explained that UPS had already picked up the computer and that we would be purchasing another brand. Her response: "Oh, well, sorry for the inconvenience," and a hang-up.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, March 6, 2012
I just recently got this computer as a gift from my husband. It is quite a bit bigger than my last laptop but it is not to heavy. It is very quick and I can upload my pictures into photoshop that I have already added and edit them without skipping a beat. Netflix also plays great on here the computer keeps up with video very well. I love this laptop and would recommed it to anyone. Before we bought it we had a friend of ours who is an IT guy and major computer nerd check it out and he gave us the full go ahead to get this computer. Definatly worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am so thankful for Amazon and my New Laptop:, February 11, 2012
I received my laptop day before yesterday on schedule and I could't be happier.It works better than expected on all the sites I use especially on the site I play games on. I am so thankful for Amazon and how they have taken care of me and made me a completely satisfied customer, I will tell everyone how great Amazon is and how they went out of their way to make sure that I am a satisfied customer.
This laptop is so fast, the screen quality is above and beyond what I expected, bottom line is, I made the perfect choice and Amazon made it happen for me.So thank you so much Amazon for sticking to making sure that customers are satisfied, I truly appreciate that you went above and beyond to make me a VERY HAPPY,VERY SATISFIED CUSTOMER.
Ed Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent laptop, fast, plenty of space and crisp screen, March 10, 2012
I bought this laptop for my mom in February for $435 (tax included) so I think it was an amazing deal. My mom wanted a big screen laptop (17") since she will only use it at home. After looking at the specs, I figured this would be perfect for her. This G7 laptop is fast, has a lot of space, the screen is crisp and the sound is really clear. The very first thing I did was format. There were just too many unnecessary demos and garbage programs that took up space. If you decide to format, make sure you back up the drivers or download them from HP website onto a flash drive because the G7 doesn't come with any CDs. No driver CD and no Windows 7 CD.

When I installed a new version of Win 7 (64 bit), 6 drivers were not installed. Download them from the HP website. Here they are:
Realtek Local Area Network (LAN) Driver
Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver for Windows 7
IDT High Def HD Audio Drive
Intel Rapid Storage Technology Drive
Realtek Card Reader Drive
Synaptics TouchPad Driver

(to enter the BIOS setting, press F10 after turning on the laptop, while the screen is all black)

In general for the price paid, I would give this laptop more than 5 starts. For home or office use it is perfect, especially if you don't plan to carry it around and for the price I paid, can't go wrong. If I didn't like my desktop so much, I would probably but another one of these laptops for myself.

HP g7-1310us (17.3-Inch Screen) Laptop