Published 23 months ago by JoHn

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware, Seller is not being totally honest about this phone
I purchased this phone for my husband so we didn't have to extend our AT&T contract. I paid a premium price for this phone, the same as a new one from AT&T and I expected to get a new phone. What we received was a previously sold and returned refurbished phone at a new phone price.

I gave the phone to my husband on Christmas morning unknown that it was a...
Published 19 months ago by Patricia

5.0 out of 5 stars Well engineered, amazing if just for the camera & the screen!, September 11, 2012
This review is from: HTC One X with Beats Audio Unlocked GSM Android SmartPhone - No Warranty - White (Wireless Phone Accessory)
>>BUYERS BE WARE, there are many versions of this phone, the US at&t version is a 16 GB version, people unlock it via an unlock code and sell it as an unlocked international version, the international one has 32 GB & comes without the at&t logo on the front. The one on this page is the 16 GB one, the 32 GB will cost a bit more and you need to write in search "32 GB One X", remember this phone has no slot for an external SD card, so more internal storage may be crucial for some!<<

----Original review----
I used so many brands and models of phones and smartphones than I can remember, and this one here, except for the memory card thing, covers every hole that was in every other phone I used. It also covers any thing u may have thought of having in a phone, and it is doing that in style! I tried the Samsung Galaxy S3 at at&t before choosing the One x, and it really isn't better. I mean it is just about personal preferences, I always feel Samsung phones ( not all Samsung products, I love their TVs for example)have a cheap felling. Besides I liked how the One X looked more than the S3.

Pros:

-Amazing screen, and I am coming from a Motorola Droid Razr which has a very good screen itself. The screen here is sharper, colors are better, no shadows(Razr had a green shadow on all colors. Watching Youtube or any vids on this phone is a thing I long for throughout the day!
-Battery life is good enough for a full day with moderate use. Of course excessive movie watching, game playing or hours long web surfing require a twice chraging.
-The 8 MP Camera deserves all the fuzz it received when first introduced, its pictures are steady, colors are vivid and quality is really high!
-Speed: The phone handles multitasking very well, games and videos are a breath nothing you should worry about here.

Cons:

The only thing I didn't like about this phone, which is why I would say it is more like 4.5 stars not 5, is the lack of a memory card slot. I mean, seriously? it has a 2 year free subscription for extra storage online and everything, but whyyy?? How hard was it to add an extra slot for a memory card? An engineer's mistake without any doubt.

Bottom line, if you want an Android phone go for the One X or the S3, can't make up your mind, try them both and just pick any of them you will end up with a winner either way!

-----UPDATE------
So I was tempted to get the S3 since I have a month to exchange the phone with at&t and I wanted to know how better was the S3. I got the blue S3 and I certainly loved it, it doesn't feel cheap in hand as I expected, but it feels rather classy and here are my thoughts in comparison, I hope this experience may help other people decide:
- The S3 overall look is really slick, it is ofcourse all about personal preferences as I said before, but sometime I wished that the One X looked more like the blue S3! the metal edges gave it some superiority no doubt about that, the blue finish was really good, but the white looks really cheap, don't think about it!
- The Samsung motions( swipe to take a screen shot, raise the phone up to your ears with an open message to automatically dial the sender without pressing any keys & others) are really cool and are certainly a point above the OneX.
- Sd card slot, as basic as it is , it is better than not having one!
But that is it, these are the only things where the S3 bests the OneX
- The Svoice(Smamsung reply to iPhone's Siri) Is totally useless, and certainly needs more development, a good idea that may get better in newer models, but not a plus for the S3, not to mention it consumes more battery when turned on.
- The screen is different than the one X, I can't totally explain it, not the pixels density but mainly the colors. As I read online it looks like Samsung forgot to calibrate its screens, so as good as they are colors don't look natural. And you can't really feel it unless u spent some time with the OneX's gorgeous screen, colors aren't as vibrant or bright, a picture of a clear sea looks darker, less vivid and less colorful on the S3 than the One X and though really good, the One X is considerably better.
- The camera is good, but again the One X's camera is definitely better both outdoor & indoor, may be not by much but the difference is definitely there.
- Eye tracking: It was supposed to prevent the screen from sleeping when you are reading or surfing, well it doesn't do the job very well. In low light situations it is pretty much useless, since it depends on the front camera for eye tracking. In regular light it was ok, but again u had to hold to hold the phone in a certain way to make sure it "sees" your eye! I didn't find it that impressive..or useful!
- Speed:same for both
- Samsung's touchWiz vs htc Sense is an even battle I liked them both.
- Battery: both are almost the same battery wise, though moderate to heavy use will definitely require a twice per day charging with both of them, you may be able to get enough juice till you get back home. Actually light use easily gets you through the day.
Of course you can buy an extra battery with the S3 and swipe batteries cos the one X has a built in battery which the user can't replace on his own, but again you can buy a charging case for the oneX!
Both have NFC which I didn't use in the ~ Two weeks period with each phone.

-------Conclusion-------
If you want a better screen and camera definitely go with the oneX, you will regret you didn't go with it when you see one in comparison with the S3!
If you are a media fanatic who needs a lot of space, the the OneX isn't for u, the S3 is as good as a phone, even with a lower screen but with extra micro SD card slot. Also if you like to impress your friends, the little Samsung motions are certainly impressive and fun to use and the overall look may be a bit better.

WHAT DID I DO?
I missed how great the OneX screen was, I certainly missed how awesome HD vids looked on the screen, also I missed the slightly better camera, so I gladly paid the $35 restocking fee for at&t and again returned back to the OneX, black this time since the white one caught stains fairly easily and had to be cleaned from time to time! I sold the at&t over eBay and bought the unlocked international version with 32 GB built in memory, which was a bit more expensive but was definitely worth it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware, Seller is not being totally honest about this phone, January 19, 2013

I gave the phone to my husband on Christmas morning unknown that it was a refurb. My husband suspected it wasn't new due to cosmetic marks on it and when he went to the AT&T store to activate it they confirmed it had been previously sold and was returned under warranty due to a defect.

Fast forward 3 weeks. My husband has had the phone and it has worked for the most part. It did have some glitches with freezing up at times and taking a long time to finally ring when he tried to make a call. Wireless also would lock on to a network and wouldn't let go even after leaving that network area so he would have to manually turn wifi off to get it to connect to the mobile network.... Very aggravating for a $500 phone.

My husband put his phone on charge last night and turned it off as he normally does... This morning he takes it off charge and tried to power it up...Nothing! He spent the next hour trying to get it to boot up.....Nothing!
He then takes it up to AT&T and they try several different things to get it to boot up....NOTHING! the phone is completely dead after only 3 weeks of ownership.

My husband is livid I spent $500+ on this phone and the fact he now has NO PHONE.

BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome super phone, June 26, 2012
the HTC one x is truly an awesome super phone, It's really smooth and very speedy with no lags. the built quality is excellent, the camera is superb. the screen is really great has true colors and excellent viewing angles. and the tegra zone optimized games for tegra 3 are really awesome, excellent graphics the best for android when optimized with tegra 3. I am not to crazy about HTC sense kind of slows phone a bit sometimes, I added apex launcher and let me tell you this phone is super fast with this launcher. my previous phones iPhone 4s and Samsung galaxy note were great phones, but can't touch the HTC one x.

2.0 out of 5 stars not the famous version, November 10, 2012
This is the at&t version of one x. It has a dual core processor unlike the quad-core processor of famous one x. Moreover at&t disabled many handy menu items such as transfer (to transfer old phone's memo). Finally the is no ear phones in the box.
So be careful when buying this item and don't confuse it with the known one x model

4.0 out of 5 stars its not one X .it is one XL......damn it, July 6, 2013
its not one X .it is one XL..better correct it.....it is very confusing and misleading for consumer,i want tegra3 and bought it wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars AT&T version, or international version? Let me clear up common questions for you., July 12, 2014
Let's clear up some confusion about this phone.

1. Is this the international version, or the US version?

This phone IS the international version. It is actually the HTC One XL, or Evita model. The US only version is NOT sold in white, and is the Endeavor model. How do I know this? Because I bought two of these phones used, white, from a private seller. They have the AT&T stamp above the screen. But I root my phones and upgrade them with custom ROMs. In the process of rooting and upgrading these, I realize that my phones only accept the Evita version of ROMs, which means that despite the AT&T logo, they are the international version. AT&T simply had some of these ordered with their logo so they could offer more in-store color options. This can be confusing, but it's just a logo, it doesn't necessarily mean the hardware inside the phone is different. Relax and buy on! Of course, I can't speak for the sellers on here if they sell you a phone in a lesser state than they guarantee, so if you get a phone that is less than promised, contact the seller to correct it, and if needed, file a complaint with Amazon.

2. Dual core, or quad core?

I see some grumbling about how many cores the processor in this phone actually has. I personally have never seen the base model of these phones for sale with a quad core processor. The International (XL) and US versions (X) of this phone both advertise dual core processors on Amazon. I wouldn't get too hung up on the processor speed though. With 1 GB of RAM, these phones are screaming fast, and can easily keep pace with pretty much any other phone on the market in day to day tasks. If you really, really want a quad core HTC phone, search for and get the S720E One X 32 GB or S728E One X+. They are upgrades on the hardware level. They look basically the same, but offer a quad core processor and larger storage capacities.

3. 16 GB storage? 32 GB? How much storage space do these phones really have?

The original HTC One X and One XL only offer 16 GB of storage. HTC also offered a refreshed version with a 32 GB option and quad core processor. There is also the S728E One X+, which offers a whopping 64 GB of storage. You have to search specifically for the S720E 32 GB or S728E if you want the closest thing to the phone sold here but with greater storage capacity. But as far as the base version One XL sold here, it is only 16 GB.

4. Wait a minute. I bought this phone as a 16 GB model, but total storage space according to the operating system is only 12 GB. Why?

HTC adds an extra layer of security to their phones called "S-on", or Security On. Their is a partition within the flash storage on the phone that houses sensitive firmware-related and hardware-related files, and this occupies the missing 4 GB of space. Security On protects this partition from intrusion, as tampering with it could result in an unusable phone, AKA a "bricked" device. So, don't panic. HTC actually does us a favor by shielding us from these files. This 4 GB of missing space is absolutely essential for the phone to operate normally. Just be aware of this before you purchase. If you need a phone that offers more space, I suggest finding an equivalent phone with an SD card slot, or purchasing the S720E 32 GB or S728E.

5. My battery life isn't all that great. How can I improve it?

For the less adventurous types out there, the easiest way to regain some battery life is to disable unnecessary apps. HTC and AT&T like to install a bunch of applications that the majority of us simply won't use. So we call that "bloatware". To disable the apps, navigate to Settings, Apps, All and select the AT&T or HTC apps you want off. Force Stop the app, then Disable it. For those who are computer savvy and have rooted before, I recommend unlocking your bootloader, installing Clockworkmod recovery, and then installing Superuser SU and Root App Delete from the Play store. These apps will allow you to delete the HTC and AT&T software altogether. A Permanent fix would be to go one step further and install a custom ROM (operating system) on your phone. This will give you a clean operating system with no HTC or AT&T apps. There are tutorials at XDA-Developers forum on how to perform all of these tasks. To get your phone's bootloader unlocked and start the process, search for "HTC Dev" in your search engine of choice, and you will find HTC's developer website that takes you step by step through the unlock process. Your bootloader has to be unlocked to install a recovery and root your phone.

6. My personal thoughts on this phone

My family is very satisfied with these phones. They are fast, capable, and despite the S-On feature, have adequate storage for our media needs. The screens are sharp, pictures are fantastic, and keeping up with friends on social media is pleasurable on this phone. We almost prefer the phones to our desktop computers when it comes to social media. The battery life is great once rooted and cleaned up. I love showing them off to my friends with iPhones, because let's face it, they are as capable as the iPhone 4 with the right apps installed and for less money in many cases. I would recommend them to a friend, pending they take my advice on disabling or removing unnecessary apps.

1.0 out of 5 stars It reads AT&T, May 6, 2014
The description shows its an unlocked piece. I have received AT&T release model. Also, it seems to me that the phone is not new.

5.0 out of 5 stars great friendly customer service, February 6, 2014
when i got this phone i was confused since i put my sim card in and it said it was locked i called up the seller and he told me the unlock code was in the front of the box... it was a pretty dumb mistake on my part for not checking the box but they were very friendly and the phone works great now1

2.0 out of 5 stars Phone quality, September 16, 2013
Sound quality while calling is very poor, need to use earphone . Also the phone gets heated up when we use simple applications as well, also after you charged the phone. When i googled i saw people having same problems. I just found out , one of my colleauge had literally exchanged this phone from the carrier 4 times. So HTC has real bad problem with this phone.

2.0 out of 5 stars This phone version is AT&T - Don't buy it!, April 30, 2014
Christian R. (LUTZ, FLORIDA, US) - See all my reviews
I bought this product as gift for someone else for another country. Now I realized is dual-core and the phone is getting stuck and it has apps that are annoying from AT&T.

Don't buy this product from this retailer.

Rate and Discover Movies