5.0 out of 5 stars EVO 3D vs EVO 4G: Flagship Faceoff
Off the bat, the EVO 3D has been getting a lot of mixed reviews. People either love it or hate it, but many reviews floating around have tended to direct the focus of their positive or negative feedback towards one of two things: the 3D features, or everything else. I hope the dispel the mass hysteria of other reviews by giving you a realistic account of my ongoing...
Published on June 25, 2011 by Scott Showalter

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid 4G phone with a few issues
I really wanted to love this phone, and after using it for about 5 months, I still LIKE it, but I don't LOVE it.

What I like:

The phone's display is beautiful. I love the HTC-specific flavor of Android that is included on the EVO 3D. The phone is fast, and I don't suffer from any iPhone envy. In fact, just the opposite. I've had several iPhone users...
Published 22 months ago by Paul Pehrson

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Danny Boy, August 5, 2011
This review is from: HTC EVO 3D 4G Android Phone, Black (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
All the positive reviews on this phone truly make this an incredible phone and a pleasure to own. It is extremely fast and will play Sprint TV and video's without any buffering. So you ask why the 1 star rating? The speaker on this phone makes it impossible to hear. The camera spends so much time auto focusing that the pictures sometimes end up blurry. Now for the reason why this phone is not worth the money. I had this phone for 30 days. I live in the Dallas, TX area. I went to Lake Whitney which is 10 miles off the I-35 cooridor. I had no service with this phone. My wife who has a Blackberry 8330 curve had 3 bars and service. I turned off 4G and still no service. I called Sprint on my way home and they had me update the PRL's (cell towers) on this device. Soon I was getting no service inside or outside my house which is in Cedar Hill, TX with this phone while my wife's phone will get service. Called Sprint and they sent me an Airave device to get service in my house. The Evo 3D then would get all bars of sevice in the room with this device was in and as soon as would leave room it would go down to 2 bars. Plus it took 4 to 5 times to get it to connect to this device dialing *99. I took the phone to a Sprint Store where they tested this phone and said that there was no problems with this device and the antenna inside the phone was working properly. Meanwhile, I work in downtown Dallas where I could get 4G outside but would turn to 3G inside the building I work in. Also I was having problems gettig service inside the building where I did get sevice before with the same Blackberry my wife owns. While this might be one of the faster phone on the market and have great app's, it is viurtually useless if it does not get any service. And after all, Isn't this suppose to be a phone also? Good thing I didn't break down when I had no service. I have never taken in or traded in a phone before, but after paying $199 for this paper weight I decided to trade this phone in for the Motorola Photon. I get service with The Motorola in many dead spots that previous Sprint phones will not(especially the EVO 3D). I turned off the Airave in my house and get all bars of service. It may be lacking some of the features of the HTC EVO 3D, but I can hear the speaker on the phone. And best of all, I now have service again.

5.0 out of 5 stars To this day... the greatest phone I've ever beheld., April 7, 2012
I'll keep my review short and nontechnical. Even now, nearly a year after its release, I find this phoen to be the greatest phone on the market. It is only just now starting to be beaten, in speed, by brand new smart phones, so it has held up extremely well.

It is light and great looking. The screen is large, and there is little wasted space on the edge of the screen, like in many phones I've seen. I use it to take high res pictures for real estate appraisals, and nobody can tell the difference between the evo's 5mp camera and a standalone 10mp camera.

The obvious most fun part of the phone is the 3d capability. Even after a year, I'm always amazed by the quality and sheer awesomeness of seeing a holographic image on a cell phone screen. I have taken an array of 3d pictures in my travels since owning the phone, and they always impress anyone I show them to. In fact, I have not come across anyone who hasn't been jealous of this phone; though they often like to hide their jealousy with the generic "it hurts my eyes"... If it hurts your eyes, why are you grabbing my phone and checking out every single picture in my 3d library?

I've also accidentally dropped the thing nearly a dozen times and there's not a scratch to be found (I do have it in a $2 silicone case).

The only drawback I can think of is that the camera lenses extend from the phone slightly, so without a case, it sits funny and the glass in the rear does scratch, unlike the screen.

I recommend this phone to everyone... unfortunately, nobody has Sprint. EVen a year later, there's still no phone on the market I would ever consider replacing this gem with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent phoe. Way underrated., December 10, 2011
I have had this phone for about 9 months and absolutely love it. As a software/phone developer, I can tell you that this phone stock out of the box is awesome, but not nearly pushed to it's potential. The hardware is incredible. The cpu is rated at 1.2ghz, however is capable of 1.6ghz easily. Which means you will be seeing much more of this phone in the future rebadged as newer and "better" phones. Even for the average user, it is smooth, fast, and fully capable of anything. The cons: as with any smartphone....BATTERY! Computing power takes battery power, no way around it. However, there is and extended battery available. I believe everything else has been said in other reviews.

4.0 out of 5 stars My first HTC cell phone that didn't measure up, July 23, 2011
I have loved HTC phones. I've owned the PPC-6700, PPC-6800, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2 and Evo 4G and mostly delighted in each and every one of them, shortcomings and all. But the Evo 3D has left me wanting to the point that I am returning it and trying another brand.

Please understand that this is MY review and my sujective impressions. Others may justifiably consider what I view as shortcomings as trivial concerns. So be it.

On the plus side, the build quality is typical HTC: solid. I've never had an HTC unit that lost pieces or started splitting at the seams. Treat the Evo 3D with respect and it should last longer than you own the phone.

The quality of the qVGA screen is excellent. No, it doesn't perform well in bright sunlight, but virtually nothing else does either. Everywhere else, the screen is splendid. The higher resolution, however, comes with some drawbacks for me. The Swype keyboard is more difficult to use because the keycaps appear smaller. I'm pretty proficient with Swype on my Evo 4G, but suddenly I am all thumbs, so to speak.It would be nice if the Swype folks made it possible to somehow scale the keyboard display, but I suspect that may remain an unfulfilled wish. Instead, I will have to practice, practice and practice.

The dual-core processor is snappy, there is plenty of user accessible memory. The form is nice: slimmer than the Evo 4G.

There's also a separate camera button, a piece of sensibility many manufacturers are coming back to.

The 3D photo and video capability does nothing for me. Some people may love it: does nothing for me one way or the other. Took some photos and video to play with it and was not impressed with the depth of the 3D effect. Again, subjective response - your experience may vary.

Including the 3D cameras, though, led to HTC including only 5 Megapixel cameras. In 2D mode, I think they are inferior to the 8MP camera on the Evo 3D. Also, the kickstand that appeared on the Evo 3D is gone and that I consider to be a major omission. The kickstand was very, very handy and I didn't realize how much I used it until going without it.

Next on my short list of Evo 3D shortcomings is the audio. I find it entirely inadequate. The Evo 4G was loud: the 3D - at least my Evo 3D - is not. Headphone volume is lousy. Speakerphone volume is lousy. The audio is lousy. Period.

Next to last on my list is touch screen sensitivity. Like I said, I've owned a number of HTC phones and they all were basically fine, but the Evo 3D - and I hold open the possibility that it could just be my unit - isn't up to snuff. There are portions of the screen that sometimes seem as if they are dead.

Finally is the USB port placement: HTC put the USB port on the side of the Evo 3D which drives me nuts. I usually put the phone on a charge cable in the car. Try picking it up with a USB cable coming out the side. It is not, in my opinion, convenient and I just don't like it.

So, is the Evo 3D a bad phone? No. There are just some things about it that I don't like and they are serious enough in my mind to cause me to return the Evo 3D and get another new model. Would another person be likely to say I'm all wet and that what appear to be shortcomings to me aren't even minor annoyances to them? Yes.

The Evo 3D merits a look, but make sure it really fits your requirements.

Jerry

2.0 out of 5 stars Worth it, July 1, 2011
Phone is an absolute beauty. HTC Sense 3.0 is second to none in the android system custom overlay. Very responsive phone, 3D is a bit of a gimmick but it is still fun to use. Overall this is the best phone I've had. Just moved up from an EPIC 4G to this phone. And it is almost night and day in quality of device.

Update: Did not hold up to the test of time. Got rid of the phone in a month. Very off balanced due to its dual cameras. Terrible battery life, with a subpar screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars HTC Evo 3D 4G (Wimax) - Excellent phone, March 1, 2013
I upgraded from an iPhone 3Gs 16gb that was on AT&T for 2 yrs & then was on Straight Talk for the past year. I sold it for $115 & bought the HTC Evo 3D 4G from Virgin Mobile for $149 (Sprint's No Contract carrier that uses the Sprint network) via Walmart.com. Here is a quick list of my observations (or the good & the not so good).

The Good

1. The phone itself comes with ICS (Android 4.0.3) and HTC's Sense 3.6 - the 1.2 GHz snapdragon processor is blazing fast. The UI & features are excellent. Google Maps allows for talking in an address and immediately looking up the address with street view showing the location (and giving directions). It just may replace my GPS (I bought a separate USB cradle for charging and it works great for sitting on a dashboard when docked). Action is smooth and the "live" weather background is like "dreamscene" in Windows Vista Ultimate with the clouds moving like you are flying. Awesome eye candy. The phone reception is strong (much better than iPhone & the AT&T network).

2. The battery is the weakness, but I purchased the extended battery so this is not an issue. I prefer having a phone I can hold onto instead of it being super thin (it helps if the phone is dropped when combined with a rubber shell as the screen is less likely to shatter) so the extended battery and replacement back helps immensely.

3. The wifi is crazy fast, and 4G (wimax) is also fast (a huge difference when compared to 3G).

4. Skype video is awesome (who needs facetime????).

5. The ability to transfer from the old phone to the new phone regarding contacts and data via Bluetooth (and a wizard) is crazy good.

6. Very easy setup to Facebook, email, etc.

-------------------------------------------------

The not so good

1. The controls on the screen are very "touchy" and you have to hold the phone in a certain way to ensure it isn't going nuts opening apps/tasks).

2. The side mini usb port is poorly designed (it looks like it could break easily). I am just extra careful with it (versus the Apple port on the iPhone which is more durable).

Overall, a great phone for using for email/messaging, phone/voice calls, playing with apps, multi-tasking, etc. Much like a PC or laptop, I know this isn't like a VCR and "just works" when being turned on. I know when the O/S (Android) is having a hiccup, I just shut down / restart (when in doubt, reboot). I rarely have to do that (no more than I did with my previous iPhone). For the money, this is a HUGE bang for the buck (for $45 a month for unlimited data - unlimited messaging - and 1,200 minutes call time). And yes, I know Sprint throttles data.... but at the 2.5 GB point, I understand (which is why the Wi-Fi aspect helps keep that data usage down and I get fast speeds when I do need it).

HTC EVO V 4G Prepaid Android Phone (Virgin Mobile)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fast Phone!, May 23, 2012
This is by far one of the best phones I've had. First of all even though the 3D is not for everyone, it is fun to see people get excited and amazed when you show it to them. I had the Sprint HTC EVO 3D and for a more specific review you can look into that review as the only difference is being GSM and the carrier specific bloatwear. Pictures are great and you can upload the 3D format into YouTube and share with others. The unlocked phone works great on AT&T 4G (HSPA+ of course) and gets very good download and upload speeds. The processor and memory keeps up with most phones available to this date and the build quality is very good. Definitely recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love This Phone, April 9, 2012
This is my first smartphone. I got to say that it is pretty powerful and gets the job done. The downside to this phone is that it lags a little sometimes and the battery life is below satisfaction. I would recommend getting a spare battery to carry around because it is a hassle if you run out of battery while you are on the road to a meeting or something important. There are a lot of pros to this phone. The 3D function is very neat and is something that you can show off to your friends. The processor is super fast and makes everything look very smooth. There is a pretty big screen so you can see pretty much everything on it. It is one of the better phones because of its design and the way it can do so many things. 3D pictures are my favorite. I would recommend this phone to anyone who wants to have a cool 3D feature or rather anyone who just wants a powerful phone that can get pretty much any job done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool phone, February 14, 2012
I upgraded from my Treo of 5 years. I picked this phone because it was the top of the line Android and it has more features than any other Android and the iphone doesn't even compare. 7 months later and it is still the top phone. The media needs something new to talk about but this is still the best smart phone on the market. HTC Sense is way better than other Android makers OS too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing..., January 22, 2012
This phone is just awesome. Sense 3.0 is phenomenal. 3D is fun, but just a small part of what makes this phone special. It's super fast and will get the android 4.0 ice cream sandwich update. HTC knows how to make a top of the line handset.

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›