5.0 out of 5 stars EVO 3D vs EVO 4G: Flagship Faceoff
Off the bat, the EVO 3D has been getting a lot of mixed reviews. People either love it or hate it, but many reviews floating around have tended to direct the focus of their positive or negative feedback towards one of two things: the 3D features, or everything else. I hope the dispel the mass hysteria of other reviews by giving you a realistic account of my ongoing...
Published on June 25, 2011 by Scott Showalter

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid 4G phone with a few issues
I really wanted to love this phone, and after using it for about 5 months, I still LIKE it, but I don't LOVE it.

What I like:

The phone's display is beautiful. I love the HTC-specific flavor of Android that is included on the EVO 3D. The phone is fast, and I don't suffer from any iPhone envy. In fact, just the opposite. I've had several iPhone users...
Published 22 months ago by Paul Pehrson

‹ Previous | 14 5 610 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Smartphone that can do just about anything ...., March 28, 2012
This review is from: HTC EVO 3D 4G Android Phone, Black (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
The short and sweet of this review is that i upgraded from my Evo 4G to the 3D when it first hit stores last June -
So essentially i have had this phone now for a year to date (just about) here is my quick list of things to look for (or the good, bad and the ugly list)

The Good
1. The phone itself - the processor, the ability to run everything you could throw at it and more makes this an almost bullet proof phone

2. The battery believe it or not lasts alot longer than the original 4G but results may vary (one thing NOT to do is install a task killer, that makes it worse trust me) just lower your brightness, turn things off that you dont need etc. It also has the first task killer software built in that you could use that works as well -

3. The lock screen really helps get things done alot quicker - being able to choose a quick task w/o opening the phone up and selecting an app is great - 4 icons in the lock screen can be custizable too!

4. The wifi is fast really fast

5. The front 1.2 mp camera is really good for portrait shots

The Bad

1. The camera can be great but can also be terrible at 5mp i wish they would have just stuck with the 4gs 8mp - but on the flip side the special effects that come preloaded to add to pictures is pretty cool

2. The 3D is great but terrible because its just not useful - a more gimmick than anything - trust me after the first week you'll never use it again - even for games

3. Can be a bit buggy at times, force closing things, or randomly shutting down, but maybe a handful of times this has happened in a years time.

4. I miss the left and right scrolling homescreens which feels like more screen real estate, now we have a carousel like tile thing, and wallpapers are not configured to this screen being its only vertical now not horizontal (scrolling left to right to see the whole wallpaper)

The Ugly

1. The screen is not a vivid as you would like and is extremely susceptible to cracking if dropped

2. Charging the phone on the top left side of the phone is awkward - it works for getting the cord out of the way but im not a fan

3. The camera button is extremely slow to getting the camera up and running -

4. No kickstand a real crowd pleaser ...

5. Booting up from a restart or reset is crazy slow!!

Overall great phone for taking care of buisness, playing with apps, mutlitasking, etc. but highly disappointed with the camera for normal pics (esp in sunlight and lowlight conditions) 3D a waste of time, and the screen could be better in terms of vividness -

My next upgrade will be looking into the HTC ONE X and the Samsung Galaxy S3 -

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, good battery life, Free 3D :), March 8, 2012
PRO:
Evo3D is the successor to the widely successful HTC EVO 4G that launched on Sprint in 2010. This phone has a better screen (higher resolution, better contrast), better processor (Qualcomm S3 as opposed to S1 in the original) better battery life (compared to EVO 4G) and is running Gingerbread with sense 3.0. The only thing missing from EVO3D that was available on the original EVO is the stand which you can get if you buy a (specific) cover. It has MHL port which allows it to be connected to TVs via an MHL to HDMI cable (same price as mini HDMI to regular HDMI cable).
3D camera on this phone works really well and the 3D screen is easy to view. I viewed 3D as an added benefit and I have not been disappointed. Pictures taken through this phone look great.

CON:
In my experience the screen is prone to scratches so contrary to some reports it does NOT have gorilla glass screen. The resolution on this phone is qHD and the screen is SLCD (not IPS ) but the performance of the screen is much better than EVO. The colors are vibrant and text is crisp. After using this my EPIC 4G's screen did not look as good to me as before. I still think that a (non-pentile) SAMOLED Plus screen with 720p resolution would probably look better but this is the next best thing (so not as big a con as it may seem).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent phone, February 25, 2012
I went back and forth doing research until I decided on the evo 3D. I'm very happy with my purchase. I've had it since launch week and I've had no problems. I love how fast it is, I love how customizable it is, I love I have unlimited data. The battery life was bad at first, but it just takes a little getting used to and optimizing your settings, now I can go 24+ hrs without charging. It's full of useless apps sprint puts on it, but those won't get on your way. The 3D is cool, but I have not used it after the first month, but still cool to show off to my iphone owning friends!

You can't go wrong with this phone. PS we are getting ICS soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone Amazon wireless is the best, February 20, 2012
Well I got the EVO 3d from amazon wireless and it rocks . First off all I have to say Amazon is the best. I got this phone for 1 cent on there sale day. First off the phone is smooth and fast .It also has a good CPU and gpu so it games well. The phone to the ear works very well and the features of the phone are nice. The 3d is pretty cool too. The speaker phone could be a little louder but its tolerable and I got a huge aftermarket 3400mah battery because the stock one doesn't last long . I had a tmobile galaxy s 2 and this phone has the same specs minus the CPU such is just a little slower. Sprints service isn't bad there internet is the only unlimited so went with them. There 4g is a bit shaddy but I guess you can't have it all.

2.0 out of 5 stars Maybe it's just mine, but........, December 5, 2011
.... I am NOT in love with this phone. I've owned it for a few months now (seemed a good idea before writing a review), and I find myself damning it more than I praise it. So here's my take:

CONS:

1) The network on this thing is slow (I'm in San Diego, so no 4G here on Sprint, yet). Of course, that's more Sprint's fault, right? Well, yes, but as far as I know, Sprint is the only carrier with this phone, so the two go hand in hand. More frustrating, however, is how I can be standing next to another Sprint customer with a different smartphone (iPhone, Samsung, doesn't matter), and their phone will BLAST through whatever we're searching for. You have no idea how many times I've gone to look something up on my phone only to give up and have someone else look it up instead because my phone is taking so long. In this age of being defined by the phone you have, it's just downright embarrassing. And streaming Pandora or watching a video on Youtube? Ha! Forget it, unless I'm hooked to WiFi.

2) The camera is terrible. EVERY picture I take, no matter what I do, comes out blurry.

3) The phone basically has to live on a charger. It won't last the day otherwise, even if you don't use it. God help you if the stars align in just a way that streaming music actually works (if you call buffering every 30 seconds working) and you decide to listen for a bit, because then the phone won't last more than a couple hours. I have a charger at work, in my car, and at home because that's what it takes to keep this thing moving.

4) The screen occasionally will not accept inputs, with the only remedy being to restart it. Thankfully re-booting it only takes a few seconds, though. But, of course, that leads to other complaints I have.

5) The phone has an annoying bug where every app that I load onto the external SD card loses its icon when I restart the phone. A little digging online taught me how to fix it each time, but it is annoying that it's even necessary. *UPDATE 01/18/2012* This glitch appears to have been fixed with the HTC software update I received this morning.

PROS:

1) I REALLY like the logic and functionality of the Droid software. Compared to the iPhone, it's extremely liberating. The number of options, settings, and configurations you can adjust to your liking is incredible.

2) Call quality is decent. Not the best, but I have no real complaints.

3) For a lot of the phone's shortcomings, there's a good chance someone has created an app to fix it.

4) Unlike the iPhone, the SD card gives you the ability to expand the storage space and you can also remove the battery.

5) Pretty sturdy construction. No scratches or dents to speak of, and that's just with a cheap gel case and screen protector installed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great phone all around., December 3, 2011
This phone has many excellent traits that help to push it ahead of many others in its class. The screen is quite responsive and feels nice, in my opinion, and the phone, with its dual-core processor, is quite snappy. The internet (quality) is good, and I find that Dolphin HD browser works the best on it. The camera is a wonder in itself: I usually don't care about the phone camera, but the 3D in this phone is amazing. If you can get a perfect shot, it truly will make objects pop out at you. The 2D is also quite nice, though, and a 5mp camera seems fine to me. The phone actually seems pretty sturdy to me: it's light, which is good, so when I put on a plastic, durable case it isn't too heavy. Swype works well on this phone and I am not missing my previous physical keyboard.
Problems:
A few days ago the camera was being weird and had many green vertical lines all over it. I removed the battery and the problem was fixed, however.
When I first got the phone, the battery life was dreadful, but it has since gotten better, surprisingly being at half battery when I go to sleep after a day of surfing, texting, and listening to music while also watching a youtube video or two.
Not many other flaws.

2.0 out of 5 stars Please dont buy, November 22, 2011
please never buy this phone,i bought two of these phones 1 for me and one for my wife,the first one within a week start freezing and restarting so i returned it because i have a thirty day satisfaction time,and now the second one after three month start giving us a hard time,if some one calls me i cant hear the volume,even the volume is high,its showing me htc error,now i have to take this phone to the customer service,anyways i dont wana disappoint you but thats truth,even the battery drains so easily if u wana buy just buy the htc evo 4g,i have that one now,thats much much better than the htc evo 3d

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST 4G phone out there, October 18, 2011
CJS316 (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
This phone is FAST! There are no weaknesses! The 3D is gimmicky and is an afterthought. But this phone's speed and versatility truly is remarkable. I'm glad I waited for this phone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone on the market... even 6 months later., October 13, 2011
P. Erdos (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
Cons...
no kickstand but for 15 bucks I got a case that included this.
Some people don't like Sprint network quality
You have to pay 10 bucks a month more for 4g, even if you don't use it.

Pros: Where to start...

3d camera!
3d video camera!
Dual Core processor!
Webcam!
Android!
Dedicated camera button!
Huge, responsive screen!

I had the iphone 4 when it first came out... I was disappointed (webcam only with wifi, didn't like iphone OS, no 4G) and switched to evo 4G and never looked back. The Evo 3d is just an upgraded Evo 4g... Best phone thus far

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Android Phone. Massive iPhone Rival., October 4, 2011
I got the UK version of this phone 2 weeks ago to replace my iPhone 3GS and to be honest I haven't looked back since.

I have been busy creating apps for it and taking advantage of the amazing 3D camera and screen.

I have even converted some home movies into 3D to watch on them too. The 5mp duel camera is very good for any type of pictures and the auto focus and face recognition works a treat.

I totally recommend this phone. Don't be afraid there is another option available that can beat the iPhones.

Thanks Tim