4.0 out of 5 stars A Wow! With a Few Bugs
To give you the perspective that I'm coming from, I'm not a dedicated techie. I upgraded to the EVO from a Treo Centro (sorry Palm OS!). Though I know what a Snapdragon processor is, my review won't be on that level of expertise. I'd rate my ability to adapt to new technology as fair-to-middling.

Here goes: The phone itself is classy looking. When off, it...
Published on June 6, 2010 by Daniel Murphy

3.0 out of 5 stars The HTC Evo 4G Android Smartphone: A great smartphone with a weak carrier
In many ways, owning an Evo is like putting an underpowered laptop in your pocket: it allows you to send and receive emails; it takes photos and videos; lets you perform computations and put the results online from wherever you're standing, but it isn't nearly as good as it could be because of the company that carries it.

The Good:
Good sound
Good...
Published on October 28, 2010 by Mark

‹ Previous | 110 11 1221 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage., April 27, 2014
This review is from: HTC EVO 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
This is hands down the most horrible phone I've ever owned. I'm a little disgusted that I even have to give it one star in order to post this review. It shuts down apps for no reason-- while you're in them. You have to charge it at least once a day because the battery life is abysmal. It has started doing this charming little trick where it takes a few seconds to figure out what to do after you dial a number and press 'call.' This is ridiculous because I live in a 'civilized' area and we most definitely have coverage out the wazoo. It came to a head when there was a bad car accident in front of my house and it took five whole seconds of dawdling around with its thumb up its #$% before it could connect. That's absolutely inexcusable. What's also inexcusableis the GPS draining a fully charged battery in ten minutes. Do you know anyone who takes ten minute road trips? Me neither. I'll never purchase another HTC again. Ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, April 13, 2013
This review is from: HTC EVO 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I am very pleased that bought it I'm glad that the quality is excellent and all the normal. Love it

5.0 out of 5 stars almost the best phone ever!!!!!!, November 7, 2011
This review is from: HTC EVO 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
The Evo 4G would be the best phone ever if the battery life lasted longer. I had 2 buy the big bulky battery so now I can't buy cute cases for my phone. On the plus side, I love the big screen, the touch screen, most of the apps are free, you can watch movies, tv, read books, u name it, the Evo can do it!!!!! The camera is GREAT!,

3.0 out of 5 stars amoung other users problem, October 24, 2011
jillian aberdeen (HYATTSVILLE, MD, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HTC EVO 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
ok had this phone for 11 months now,was working find untill two days ago.the power botton is not working, the phone shuts down after 5mins of not being use and ask if it want to shutdown or restart after each ussage.the screen also blanks out cant see whos calling.the only way the phone works is to take the battery out and put it back in.then it will boot the phone up by it self

3.0 out of 5 stars HTC evo 4G kinda-ok, October 11, 2011
This review is from: HTC EVO 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I ordered my evo through amazon. It was a great price until I saw my bills. I've had the phone for just about two months now. This is a kinda-ok phone, I guess. I've had some issues with it and of course I hate the bloatware from Sprint. I can't delete any unwanted apps and I keep loosing my themes. The battery life sucks and I really don't understand why it keeps opening blank web pages? The camera is nice, but inside pics don't come out that well, especially if you or the object that is being photographed moves even slightly. I like the fact that I can download just about any app, but I wouldn't want to because I don't want to drain the battery. I'm sure it would be an excellent phone if I were really tech-savvy, overall it does what a smartphone should do, so I'll stick with it for now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 4g phone, October 1, 2011
This review is from: HTC EVO 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
This phones is really great, HTC did are spectacular job. I have been using this ever since it came out and its still a pretty revolutionary phone, definitely top of the line android

2.0 out of 5 stars WOW, in the first 10 months, August 30, 2011
This review is from: HTC EVO 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
This was my first "smart phone" great in every way . I bought an extra battery , since it did not last in the beginning ( until I turned off a bunch of useless apps ). In the past 2 months, the phone reboots in an endless loop. I have had to remove the battery and put it back to end the rebooting. Took it to the store, did the so called Hard Reset and it did not change . I am having the phone replaced this month with a different brand. It was great in the beginning , but not reliable. I do need a phone that works , very simple.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good phone, wished it was better., August 29, 2011
This review is from: HTC EVO 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I wasn't really into the whole 3D effect and I did hear some technical (software probably) issues of the 3D, so I stuck with this one. I liked it, but like my previous 'HTC' device, a Palm Treo Pro, it suffers from poor construction.

Don't get me wrong, not everything is built perfectly as I'd like it, but I noticed three rather problematic realities...Before I begin it is a 0004 revision that was shipped fully updated, which means it is fairly recent. Also, this one does not suffer from the half capacity and needing it to bump charge. Once full, it will not recharge while running and only was amber for about 3 minutes when rebooted.

1. The glass is slanted downwards. This one I found to be annoying because the bottom was almost at the supposed position of the 0002. It was not coming up, but it was enough to where a fingernail can drop down from it onto the casing. If I were designing it, I would lip the case and put the glass upwards from the inside so even if the glass isn't perfectly cut there isn't a chance for dust to get in. By the way, it's more likely to get dust inside the HDMI and USB ports than the light leakage under the four buttons.

2. The LCD is not sealed. A lot of electronics have a foam border that is out of sight and designed to keep dust and dirt from entering between the LCD itself and the layer protecting it. This phone does not have it as the four buttons leak light onto the LCD. This flaw really wasn't bad because I store my phone in a camera pouch with I believe a carabiner clip. However there was a speck of dust under the screen and was only visible under lighter backgrounds (gray or white). If it was in the middle I'd go insane.

3. The casing isn't really flush. The sides of the case and even the battery cover aren't even. There was a certain part of the battery cover that did not snap in place (however considering the person who sold me the device at Sprint literally ripped the cover off, probably did not help). I don't expect perfection but the Replenish I had did better (it even had a rough edge near the USB port which was acceptable).

As for the software. It has a basic HTC Sense which works and Gingerbread. My only complaint, probably if I could find the setting, is that it takes too long to get to accents/numbers when holding a letter. My personal preference but I feel three to four seconds is a bit long. I haven't encountered a lot of issues but I did notice programs were randomly force quitting at times (which resulted in the Home screen being inaccessible for a few seconds while loading).

Battery life. With the screen always on I got around three or four hours of usage or so. With a huge screen it's expected to be a power hog...And it's more efficient than the Samsung Replenish in regards to realistic power consumption. Don't get me wrong, in standby I get around two or three days of idling while not touching the phone at all which is expected. To put it simply, it's decent knowing the limitations behind it.

I returned the phone and switched to another simply because while I was waiting to get some issue with my service fixed at a Sprint store four of these came through in an hour. Two of which the device wouldn't start and one had a broken USB port.

5.0 out of 5 stars great phone., August 29, 2011
This review is from: HTC EVO 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
its a great phone, minimal problems. To people about battery life, the bigger the processor and the bigger the screen the more power drain. Also to people complaining about programs running. the phone uses programs running differently and they do not use power in the background unless a bad programmer made it. the ones that do are always updating weather and stuff, the only problem i had in over a year with my phone is my baby threw it down and stepped on it while it was on a toy face down and put some green lines in my screen. when you first start using the phone the battery will die fast cause your playing with it all the time once you get over that stage the phones battery is not bad itll last 2-3 days without being touched and a full day with no problem if your in service. If your in a area that has no service put airplane mode on having it search kills it kick and would even kill old phones within 8 hours let alone a new powerhouse. but like ive had my phone last a day in a half using it decently with gps always on wifi always on, just turn bluetooth and 4g off and only run bluetooth when needing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the EVO!!, August 12, 2011
This review is from: HTC EVO 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I just couldn't resist reviewing my new phone, and I'll try to keep this short and sweet without gushing too much. This is, quite simply, the best piece of electronics I think I've ever used! Everything about it is impressive, from HTC's brilliant Sense user interface to the look and feel of the device itself.

Hardware: This phone feels very high quality and has an exceptionally well thought out design. The rear kickstand seems like a total gimmick, but I find myself using it all the time! Perfect for watching videos or reading books and articles. The 4.3 inch screen is also one of the signature features of this phone and it doesn't disappoint. It feels huge compared to any other phone, and really makes everything you do on the phone a pleasure.

Camera: Excellent with an exceptionally fast shutter speed. Dual LED flash is awesome!
Call Quality: Excellent, not a single dropped call and very clear on both ends.
Speakerphone: Excellent and very loud!

Software: This to me is what really separates this phone, and its sibling HTC phones, from all the other Android manufacturers. The Sense user interface really improves the look and feel of everything and makes Android considerably more intuitive. My phone came shipped with the latest Gingerbread version of Android, which is really impressive for a year old device. It is so much faster than my old phone, which technically had just as good of a processor and RAM. You literally cannot slow this phone down, no matter how many apps are widgets are running. I now reach for my phone before my laptop, it's that fast. AMAZING!!

Final Thoughts: What else can I say? When I bought the phone, the salesperson put it simply: "The EVO's are flawless." I couldn't agree more.

‹ Previous | 110 11 1221 | Next ›