4.0 out of 5 stars Best Cell Phone I Have Ever Owned
I upgraded to the EVO 4G Shift about 2 weeks ago from my Blackberry 8330 Curve. I was a loyal Blackberry user for several years and was concerned about upgrading to an Android phone. I wanted a bigger screen, a faster processor, and 4G internet speed. I almost bought the EVO, but considered it too big and expensive, plus I wanted a physical keyboard. So I was excited...
Published on February 22, 2011 by T. Soptick

2.0 out of 5 stars ARGHHHHHH!!!!
I have had the shift for just under a year now (Since Jan) and I first started getting problems after about 3 months. Let me list everything that has gone wrong in order;
1. All the silver letters on the back of the phone had fallen off by the 3rd month
2. A few of the clasps (I guess you would call them) on the battery cover snapped off and the cover is loose...
Published on November 4, 2011 by Christopher Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars HTC Evo Shift 4G, September 30, 2011
Grace M. (Minnesota, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HTC EVO Shift 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
When I upgraded my phone after my contract was renewed I got some cheapo standard android phone thinking it would do just fine. I was super wrong. The phone glitched out and practically died after a couple of months. I then researched into the newest and best looking phones Sprint had, knowing it would be worth the money to have something that actually works well. When comparing the newest phones, I found that hands down the HTC Evo line had all I was looking for in a phone. I've bought the Evo shift 4g about five months ago and I literally love this phone. It's especially perfect for people into social networking like I am. Here are some of the best features that I discovered:

- Blazing fast 4G speeds are not overrated, you'll smile when you first experience it. It also makes for browsing on normal non-mobile web pages tolerable.

- Facebook, Twitter, and other social apps like Flickr are integrated into this phone through the picture albums and contacts making it easier than ever to stay connected.

- This phone is Android, so have a hay day with their hundreds of thousands of applications!

- Other things I love about this phone are how personalizable the screen set up is, the sturdy reliable feel--scratch resistant screen, it's wi-fi capabilities, and especially how it can have my dozens of apps downloaded and not lag.

I'm extremely impressed with how smooth operating the Evo Shift is. I still have yet to restart or pull out the battery because of glitchiness!

This phone has been more than awesome so far, so you should give it a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars no brainer., July 23, 2011
Paul S. Wilson "paul" (Highland Village, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HTC EVO Shift 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I had previously the HTC Hero...ha, so enough said, right? Everyone hated that phone. It did nearly everything the Evo does, at about half speed.

The Evo is so much more responsive that I am really having a good time with it.
My music is all on the cloud now, and the other apps help me a lot.

Yes, the battery button is badly designed and takes me several tries and one has to deal with it all the time because of the battery saving feature that shuts the screen off.

4G is usually not to be had, and when it is to be had, will drain the battery much faster, so disappointingly, like many people I just don't try to use 4g much.

I have bad thumbs so I wanted the slide out keyboard. But funny, now that I have it, I often don't bother to pull it out and just use the touch screen.
But I prefer the smaller size of the Evo, it fits in my pocket and I don't watch movies on my phone.

The Evo Shift is a bit on the heavy side. Guess there is no way to avoid that.
Over all, a very good phone and I am not tempted to go get an iphone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible phone after Gingerbread update, January 12, 2012
This review is from: HTC EVO Shift 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
When I first bought this phone, it worked perfectly, no flaw and no lag. However, since the 2.3 gingerbread upgrade this phone is outright schizophrenic. It is constantly reloading and rebooting every time you exit an application, whether using the back button or the home button, it doesn't matter. It also has a heat problem when used for more than 30 minutes. The only solution has been to install the android assistant widget which allows you to clear the cache memory, which inexplicably fills up your memory within minutes. I have used task killer, juice defender, ect all apps associated with performance and nothing works. Not only that an exhaustive search of the internet revealed this is a problem unique to this phone and there is no fix for it, and there will not be a fix for it. So the only thing you can do is constantly clear the cache memory and history eraser in order for this phone to function, and not even function good. It lags between screens, pushing buttons at the edge of the screen and send you to anything from the web search, to text messaging, to reloading. Also, when texting, sometimes when I reply it goes to someone completely random on my phone list and not the person I am responding to! Auto-correct keeps turning on, even when I have disabled it many many times. Sometime, after the cache and history eraser doesn't work, I have to remove the battery, so I can't have a protective case just because of having to remove the battery very often. The battery trick works best, but by the next day its malfunctioning again. I am done, will upgrade to a windows phone in November!

Stay away from this phone, there is a reason its free! They have to give them away!

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely reliable and easy to use Android phone., September 2, 2011
This review is from: HTC EVO Shift 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
This is my first smartphone, so obviously you can take my opinion with a grain of salt. I love this phone. It was very easy to learn to use---seems a bit easier than my wife's Samsung Epic. The voice call reception is almost as good as my old flip phone, and the voice quality is good. Battery life is about what you would expect, but I have no complaints. It does help to turn off stuff you are not using, which is very easy to do on this phone---just slide one screen to the left. It's easy to see what apps are running and shut them down as well, without using an app killer. I used one for a week or two then deleted it, and haven't missed it.

What I like most is the reliability. In contrast to some of my friends' phones, this one is nearly always very responsive, with no weird delays or hangs. If it ever feels a bit sluggish, I just restart it, which takes about 15 seconds, and it's like it came out of the box again.

Obviously there are more expensive phones with more power and features, but this one has most of what you can get---4g, hotspot, etc.

It's exactly what I expected and I have zero complaints after three months of heavy use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent phone, August 25, 2011
Justine J (Mississippi Gulf Coast) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HTC EVO Shift 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
This is my first smartphone, though I've played with other people's iPhones. I love it. I decided to go with the Shift because I have arthritis and tremors in my hands and I thought a keyboard would be easier to use than just the touchscreen. So far it's worked very well. The interface is very intuitive. A number of incredibly useful free apps are available for even more functionality.
I use to carry a fairly large planner with me everywhere to keep track of appointments, medication, contacts, etc. The EVO has replaced all of that. While direct syncing with a Mac is not possible, it's been very, very easy to work around that by using Google Calendar for appointments and other apps to sync iTunes.
I've been pleasantly surprised by the photo quality, even with shaking hands most of my shots have turned out beautifully. Audio quality for music play is also nice. It can be a bit awkward to hold up for long telephone conversations, but the speaker phone features works quite well and a headset or earpiece would be another viable solution.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT !, August 13, 2011
This review is from: HTC EVO Shift 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I absolutely LOVE this phone! This is my 1st smartphone, and I am definitely excited to see what all it can do. And I must say that if you experience any issues with your phone at all, customer service is WONDERFUL! I am thankful to have bought my phone from this vendor. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, August 9, 2011
This review is from: HTC EVO Shift 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
This is my first Smart phone and I have to say that I'm very imppressed with it. It's very easy to set up and use with most of the apps used on a daily basis free. The touch screen is nice but would be a hassle with someone with big fingers. You can purchase a stylus but it's just another thing to get lost!
I would say my bigest complaint is the roaming screen that comes on when I'm at home and it's on the kitchen counter...don't know why it keeps asking me if I want roaming charges. When I hit cancel and don't ask me again, I'm ignored which is frustrating as this occurs almost on a daily basis!
All in all, it's been fun to own and mess around with.

1.0 out of 5 stars PLEASE!!! Save your Money!!!, February 17, 2012
This review is from: HTC EVO Shift 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I have owned 3 of these phones in the last year. I am SO DISAPPOINTED! The keyboard wore out on my first one and started double, triple + entering letters when I tried to type. The charging port went out on my second one. This apparently is a known issue that HTC is not standing behind. I have had my third Shift for approximately 2 months. The keyboard is already starting to double enter letters. I am trying not to plug and unplug the phone end of the charger cable and instead unplug the USB end. I had a Motorola Droid for over a year before my series of HTC's and never had a single issue with it. I am VERY DISAPPOINTED with the quality and will not buy another HTC product and can not stress enough how POOR the WORKMANSHIP is.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this phone!, February 15, 2012
This review is from: HTC EVO Shift 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I have had this phone for almost a year now and I do not have too many complaints. This is my first HTC phone and I am very happy with it. I know everyone is freaking out and going out and buying the iphone, but I love the slide out keyboard and don't think I could do without it. This phone is pretty durable, seeing as I drop it all the time at work so it is a little banged up. The only thing that has happend to it over just about a year is the keyboard is getting a little loose. This most likely has to do with being dropped so many times though lol. I do think that they should have included a frontside camera though. I mean it isn't a big deal at all because I don't think I would use it too much, but it would be a cool feature. Overall I would definetly recommend this phone over the standard Evo and the iphone to anyone who loves a slide out keyboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars I doubted I would like the phone and I was SO WRONG, March 18, 2011
Jeffrey Krantz D.D.S. (Staten Island, NY, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HTC EVO Shift 4G Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I ave used cell phones for the past 13 years, and used them to make phone calls. The camera's all stunk, and I was dragged kicking and screaming into texting. Additionally only two years ago with my first blackberry did I decide to get my email via phone.
My kids talked me into going high tech with the EVO shift and even then I hedged my bets with the slide out QUERTY keyboard.
I LOVE THE THING. Now I use it for everything, and have used the Keyboard MAYBE ONCE since I bought the phone.
Did the touch pad take getting used to. YES. Is it frustrating not having 4G service everywhere[and I AM IN NEW YORK CITY] Yes, now that I enjoy the phone as much as I do, it is frustrating.
But I like Sprint Service and I love this phone.

Rate and Discover Movies