Published on June 13, 2011 by Donovan Chapa

3.0 out of 5 stars Great size, intuitive pen integration, but just falls short
Just some quick disclaimers prior to starting this review. I am writing this as a tech enthusiast and I will have to admit that HTC is one of my favorite gadget manufacturers. My primary table is the 1st gen iPad and I bought the Flyer because I was intrigued by the Scribe (pen) integration. So here we go:

Hardware:
This is a 7 inch table with a...
Published on October 13, 2011 by TTN

4.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT little tablet, but mostly for artists and note-takers..., June 13, 2011
This review is from: HTC Flyer 7" Android Tablet, 16 GB (Personal Computers)
There are many specifications-based reviews out there on the Flyer, so I won't repeat those, and instead base this write-up off of my experience with HTC's device over the last few weeks. I have to start this review by saying that I've been a tablet PC user for years, and have found many recreational and business related uses for computers that have active pen input. But even my current tablet PC, an HP Touchsmart, can get tiresome to carry around all the time. I work with kids, and needed a backup device that was small, quick to turn on, and could be loaded with fun activities for children. That's where the Android tablets come in. I rooted a couple of Nookcolors, and instantly fell in love with the 7" form factor. So when I learned that HTC was going to be releasing a 7" tablet with some kind of active stylus, it sounded like the best of both worlds (small android tablet with pen input), and I knew I had to check it out.

I have to say that when most people think of a stylus, they think of that plastic stick that they used to poke their old palm pilots with. That is NOT what this is, nor is it intended as a replacement for touch input. This pen input is intended as a replacement for pen and paper, as you might use when you draw or take handwritten notes. When you're talking about active pen input, you're looking for 3 things: Precision, pressure sensitivity, and palm rejection. I hate to be this blunt, but if you can't view a stylus as being anything other than that dead plastic stick from the old days of resistive screens, then this type of device just simply isn't for you.

When I learned that the Flyer used N-Trig technology instead of the Wacom digitizers I'm used to, I was initially hesitant. I do a lot of artwork and handwritten notes on the Touchsmart, and while it's not perfect on the HP, the Flyer would have a lot to live up to. I knew I had to test it first in a store before I bought it, because if it didn't work well, I might as well stick with the rooted Nooks which did many of the same things and were half the price. The local Best Buy had the Flyer on it's release date and so I tried it out.

I'll be the first to say that the pen experience on the Flyer is NOT up to the quality of the wacom tablet PCs. I don't know if it's the sensors, the N-Trig technology, or if it's simply how the Android OS handles pen input. It's not the size, as I have a Motion Computing slate that is near the same size, and the pen accuracy on that device is far better. However, having said that, it is worlds better than using a regular capacitive stylus on an ipad, galaxy tab, or other similar device. I tried using a nice capacitive stylus with my Nooks and it was no better than using my finger. The Flyer is a far better inking experience, and I feel comfortable drawing or taking notes with it. It only has a couple of levels of pressure sensitivity (thick and thin) as far as I can tell, but you can make a decent sketch with it if you concentrate. If you'd want it rated on a scale, I would say a finger is a 1, capacitive stylus a 2-3, tablet PCs a 7-8, and the Flyer would be a 5.

Obviously I liked the inking enough to actually buy a Flyer even though I already had the Nooks and the Tablet PC. And since purchasing it, it continues to impress me. It's responsive, versatile, and durable. I can use it for games, drawing, notes, word processing, watching movies, streaming music from home, and just about everything else I could need from a media-consuption device. Better yet, many things listed as cons by others who have reviewed it have actually turned out to be related more to device settings (e.g., a washed out screen is because the autodimmer is set to low by default) and inadequately documented capabilities (e.g., standard microusb cables *do* work).

As much as I like the Flyer, it's not perfect. Unfortunately much of that stems from the pen use...the main thing that sets it apart from the flood of other android tablets out there. The preciseness of the pen tip can only be used in a small range of preloaded apps that HTC included (the opposite end can be used as a regular capacitive stylus, but again, it's like fingerpainting). For notetaking, there's the Notes app, and for drawing you can either use the Notes app or the Kid Mode app through Zoodles. They're decent apps, but they're not great. Perhaps I have been spoiled by programs like Onenote and Autodesk Sketchbook on the PC. But even on android, there are better apps out there for drawing or notes, and yet the pen will not work with them at this point. I'm sure HTC had a reason for limiting the pen this way, but I've yet to hear what it is. Luckily, this is software based, not hardware based, so HTC and other developers may release apps and updates that would allow the pen to be used in a wider range of applications. And since the Flyer is so new, I would imagine that these kind of advances are right around the corner. So I could see the Flyer's "good" inking experience go to "great" pretty quickly if it's given the right kind of attention.

Overall, it's a great little tablet. But, if you are not someone who likes to sketch or take notes, I would strongly suggest you look elsewhere. That's not to say that the Flyer is not a great all-around tablet. It is. It's fast, has a nice screen, great battery life, and a decent camera. But the main point of the Flyer is the pen. If you don't plan on using it for that purpose, you'll probably be happier with something else.

Cheers!

UPDATE 8-10-2011
HTC has just released their SDK to the public/developers which includes the Pen input. This means that other developers can now start integrating pen input into their apps, and we are likely going to see some of the well known drawing apps, like Sketchbook Pro, be updated soon. One developer, the author of the Fresco drawing app, started working on it shortly after it came out. This change might easily earn the Flyer another star.

In another development, it looks like HTC is working on a slightly larger Scribe-enabled tablet known as the Puccini, and it looks like it will ship with Honeycomb. Also, Lenovo is just about to release a Thinkpad Tablet (also with N-trig and Honeycomb), and by all appearances, the stylus appears to work across all apps as a form of input (not sure about the pressure sensitivity, though). My hopes are that the Flyer will get Honeycomb somewhere around the same time as the Puccini, and this update will allow the functionality of the Flyer's stylus to jump as it did with the Thinkpad.

UPDATE 10-4-2011
Well, I had hoped that I'd be able to update this with a description of how much more Honeycomb unlocks the potential of this little tablet. Unfortunately it's been two months, and the official build of Honeycomb for the flyer hasn't been released yet. However, I'd never post an update if I had nothing good to say. For those who are adventuresome, there is a leaked build of Honeycomb that you can install on your Flyer. The process doesn't look terribly hard, but it's not for the casual user either. Personally, I've decided to wait til the official version comes out.

BUT, in even better news, the Flyer has dropped in some places (like Best Buy) to $299! I'm hoping this will mean that a lot more people can enjoy the tablet, and that will lead to greater interest in it by developers...which ends up being better for everyone.

UPDATE 1-8-2012
The official Honeycomb update was released last week. What can I say...for me, this is what the Flyer *should* have been when it was released over half a year ago. Now the pen works across all apps at least the same as your finger, and in a wide number of apps, you have features like pressure sensitivity and palm rejection. One of these HC apps, Quill, does such a fine job of smoothing the ink that it nearly rivals the experience of a Wacom digitizer.

There are pros and cons for going over to Honeycomb, so for those Flyer owners who haven't done it yet, definitely weigh the benefits (the XDA Developers website is a great resource for this). It really depends on what you use your Flyer for. I would imagine that if you're a heavy pen user like I am, it will be a much easier decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow... Just WOW!, August 26, 2011
This review is from: HTC Flyer 7" Android Tablet, 16 GB (Personal Computers)
I spent a long time researching what kind of tablet to invest in before going back off to college (Illinois State). I chose the HTC Flyer for a number of reasons:

1. (The Most Important Reason) The stylus! This is the only (widely available) device/tablet to fully incorporate an "active digitizer." Unlike the iPhone/iPad/Samsung Galxay/Asus Tablets/etc. The HTC Flyer is able to recognize where the stylus is on the screen RATHER THAN ONLY creating an electromagnetic field under the glass and approximating the position of input based on where the contact is made, therefore, where the EM field is disrupted, like the previously stated devices do.

I have already sat through hour+ long courses and found taking notes on the device to be very easy with a small amount of learning curve.

2. Small. Although i would have purchased a 10.1" version (If HTC made one) but i have found the size to be "just right." Small enough to throw in your backpack but large and solid enough to hold for extended periods of timing while note taking, or reading texts. Its also just the right size for me to be able to hold it in Portrait position and type quite efficiently with the keyboard.

In landscape mode typing can be a headache at first so i recommend downloading, from the market, a keyboard called "Thumb Keyboard," which splits the keyboard in half, moving the keys in reach for either thumb.

3. My bias towards HTC: I have had the HTC Incredible (Phone) for almost a year now and haven't had a single problem with it. HTC is a reliable company who builds reliable products.

4. Battery: Not really a deciding factor when i was buying the device but i use it heavily and it lasts around 8-10 hours. I charge it maybe once a day.

If you are looking for a tablet to watch movies, surf the web, and utilize apps, ONLY- Maybe you should check out the iPad 2 or the Asus Eee Pad.

But if your looking for a great educational device; notes, textbooks, along with slightly inferior abilities, such as movies, surfing the web, etc, then this is the device for you. I absolutely LOVE my Flyer and wouldn't trade it for any other tablet right now.

*Cases* Without a case/screen protector you will feel like you are handling a newborn baby. I recommend:

"Skinomi TechSkin - Black Carbon Fiber FILM Shield & Screen Protector for HTC Flyer" - It's a pain in the ass to get on just right but really gives your Flyer an awesome look and real scratch-proof insurance.

AND

"HTC Evo 4G ViewStand Case MiniSuit Multiview Book Cover Leather Folio Stand Case for HTC Flyer / View 3G/Wifi Bonus Keychain Included - Black" - I spent a LOT of time trying to find a case that gave me the protection i need and was able to hold the stylus ($80 investment I can't afford to "just loose"). The case snaps onto the back of the device and allows it to swivel/stand in portrait/landscape mode. Great case! If nothing else BUY THIS. (I would however at least recommend a screen protector).

Hope I could be of some help to someone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little tablet..., September 13, 2011
This review is from: HTC Flyer 7" Android Tablet, 16 GB (Personal Computers)
I've been a tablet user since 2005 and have always loved them. My primary "desktop" is an Asus E121 slate. As much as I like it there are times I don't need it. I've been waiting for an Android tablet that has some true pen enabled capabilities. While the flyer certainly does double duty as a media consumption device the ability to take and share notes and mark up and share pictures, documents and screen shots is what sets it apart. Combine it with a Bluetooth dongle, Google voice ap and cloud based CRM and you can do business anywhere, anytime.

I wrote the initial review on my HTC Flyer, I was actually following up to check on the delivery status of a case I ordered and to review the seller (excellent BTW). After reflecting a bit I thought I'd expand on my comments a bit.

I think that the biggest issue most of us face when we look at this type of technology is envisioning how we'll actually use it. As mentioned in another review, someone used to a true graphic quality Wacom digitizer will be disappointed if they expect similar precision. The flip side is how/why would you expect that level of capability in a device at the size and price of the Flyer? To me the pen (the primary reason I think anyone would be interested initially) is outstanding for it's intended purpose. It works well, has no issues with inadvertent fingers on display etc. When you combine that with the ability to sync notes to your calender, share them and use the pen driven screenshot capability for markups (sometimes a picture IS worth a thousand words) you have a powerful business tool.

While honeycomb will/does offer some potentially significant advantages the truth is that the current HTC GUI is very well thought out. For lack of a better term you have a rotating app display that makes the Flyer very functional. Take a few things as simple as email, social networks and news feeds. Most if not all of us already have "them", often times redundantly. So why does the HTC interface make them seem so much better. I'm amazed at how much more synergistically everything works due to a "better" interface. I've found myself responding, editing and sharing things(both internally and via professional networking) that I would have ignored (or just plain missed) before.

Evernote is similar, while it won't ever replace OneNote for me its actually easier to compile, share and store "items of interest". Again things I would have ignored are more easily stored and/or shared via a better interface. Recognizing that other similar products are undoubtedly on the way I do think that the Flyer is the 1st true "business class" tablet as contrasted to a media consumption device like the Ipad. If it doesn't pay for itself in the 1st month you own it then you probably didn't really need it....

3.0 out of 5 stars Great size, intuitive pen integration, but just falls short, October 13, 2011

Hardware:
This is a 7 inch table with a single-core 1.5Ghz Qualcomm chip processor (more on this later) and aluminum uni-body design. What does it mean to be uni-body? Basically HTC took one piece of aluminum and sculpted it into the tablet's chassis. With the exception of the 2 plastic covers at the top and bottom of the tablet, everything on here is pretty much glass and aluminum. When holding in the hand, the Flyer feels great. There is a distinct solid feel to it and a notable weight. The weight doesn't make the tablet feel heavy, instead it gives you the feeling of holding something of quality. I recall reading somewhere that the glass on the Flyer is made of Gorilla Glass, however, a quick stop on Corning's site and you may notice the Flyer is not listed on their product sheet. With this said, I know that due to partner agreements sometimes Corning is not able to list specific products on their site. So as of this writing I cannot confirm whether or not this is Gorilla glass but I can say that the glass on here is very sturdy. After months of use (finger and pen) without a screen protector I have yet to notice any scratches or scuffs. My one grip with the glass is that there is a slight "stick" to it when you're using it with your finger, there were times when my finger skipped across the screen instead of sliding across. I assume that HTC put some special coating on the glass to give you a "writing on paper" feeling when using the scribe pen. Beneath the glass lays the 7 inch (1024x600) TFT display, although its not the best LCD you can get on the market today the colors were still vibrant and bright with good viewing angles. The Flyer has 2 camera, one front facing (1.3mp) for video chat/self portrays and a rear (5mp) camera. If you own any HTC phone with a front and rear camera then you will be right at home here in terms of quality. I must say that the one department that HTC continuously fail to impress me is the camera department. Pictures were grainy and either too dark or over exposed, video quality is nothing to phone home about. In terms of signals, the HTC has your usual staple of bluetooth, wifi, and GPS.

Memory:
This version of the Flyer has 16gb of built in storage (Sprint's version has 32gb) with a micro SD slot for expansion up to 32gb. On first boot up, I noticed that of my allotted 16gb only approximately 7gb was available for storage.

Software:
This is an Android 2.3 (HTC promises Honeycomb later.......still nothing as of this writing) device with HTC Sense 3.0 overlay. Again, if you own any HTC phone with sense then you will be right at home here as well. HTC made some improvements to sense to optimize it for tablet use (ie. calendar and widgets) but the changes are very few. Remember that single-core 1.5GHz processor I mentioned above? Well this is where you will notice it. There are some people who defend the Flyer's single-core chip but when it comes down to it; there is no denying that you will notice the occasional lag in the device simply because the processor can't keep up. I've noticed many times when I swipe between the home screens there is a momentary lag prior to the transition. Apps don't open as fast as it does on my 1GHz phone. There are just those moments when the Flyer has to think about what you're wanting to do before it actually does it, granted, these brief hiccups are very short and minute. I think that if you are going to spend $300 on a tablet, you will want at least a dual-core processor and there are tones of great $300 dual-core tablets out there. Just my opinion.

So lets get into my reason for buying this tablet when I already have an iPad. I bought the Flyer for a couple of reasons: 1) its HTC. 2) I wanted something to take notes with during meetings. 3) I wanted a smaller device to surf the net and watch movies with on trips. How does the Flyer hold up to my expectations? I love the fact that HTC is pushing the tablet functions with the Scribe pen integration. To have something to write on and it automatically saving your notes is great! HTC's implementation of this is very good, the stylus ($40-80) is pretty accurate with regards to writing, it can sense approximately 2-3 levels of pressure. I like how my hand writing on the screen is almost identical to my hand writing on paper. There is a slight learning curve as you get use to writing on a glass screen but you will pick it up very quickly. Can I recommend the Flyer as note taker? Short answer is, No. And the reason is more due to hardware than software, the 7 inch screen does not give you much restate to write on. I often found myself flicking the note pad back and forth to keep up with how much I am writing. I would wait for HTC to release something bigger before taking the plunge. I tried loading the few movies on the Flyer to watch and 3/4 times I was met with an error message saying the Flyer cannot play the video file (reboot was required to get the Flyer running again). I checked the Flyer's spec sheet and there is nothing wrong with my video formats so it makes me assume that the problem is with the Flyer being unable to process the HD content (which my iPad had no problems with). In terms of web browsing, the Flyer is very capable of handling the task. I know that Android prides itself on being able to run flash in their browser but I can't help but think flash hinders my experience more than anything else. If you want a tablet solely for the flash browsing then I recommend the Playbook, it does an exceptional job at loading flash content.

This review is long enough, so I will stop here. All in all, I like the form factor of the Flyer, I love the Scribe integration, but I can't help but be a little sour on the performance with regards to lag and video playback.

My final verdict is 3.5/5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly awesome..., December 12, 2011
This review is from: HTC Flyer 7" Android Tablet, 16 GB (Personal Computers)
I am a tech junkie with a TON of experience with tablets. I have owned, or currently own, the following:

HTC Flyer
iPad 2
Archos 70i
Color Nook
Kindle Fire
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9

All of them have pros and cons, whether it be price, size, speed, lack of features, (ex: No Flash - iPad; No expandable memory - Fire, iPad, Samsung; No camera - Nook, Fire), interface design, etcetera. I'm here to tell you that the HTC Flyer is possibly the best of ALL worlds here.

PROS:

Size - 7", with cover/case, fits in a jacket pocket, back pocket on jeans, purse, etcetera.
Price - It's $299 at Best Buy!!! $499 everywhere else, even online. This is the right price, being just $40 more than the new Nook Tablet, which doesn't have a camera, a crappy interface, and no stylus option. The Fire is a great unit, but some might not like the interface overly much - though I tend to like it, but wish they wouldn't show every book I've ever bought from them on the Home screen. But the Fire has only 6.4gb of real memory to use, which, if you want to download some movies, leaves you very little room for music, and forget the "cloud". What a joke. Who is ALWAYS going to be near GOOD speedy WiFi?
Weight - It's not bad, at 14.8 ounces - under a pound. The Samsung 8.9 is bigger and only weighs an ounce more, but... it doesn't fit in any pocket - though it does fit in a handbag.
Interface - Fantastic! HTC had widgets for everything, already setup for you. Email, weather, Facebook, Contacts, etc. Very easy and fun to use. It's like your HTC phone. Its not running Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich, yet, but it will soon. Though I hope they leave on the widgets.
Speed - I'm blown away how fast this thing is! It starts up in just a few seconds! Unlike ALL the other devices here, which take 30 seconds to get rolling from a power-off. There is also ZERO lag. Everything is fast and smooth. Also, everything just works.
Battery life - So far, it seems excellent. It charges up in a few hours, (versus the Nook, which takes all night, it seems). I haven't full-on tested the life, but from a week of heavy playing with it, I haven't run out, yet. I did top off the charge a few times, but it seems to run vey long. Probably 8 hours, or more, with serious use. Idle life has to be in days, for sure.
Display - crisp graphics, and they upped the size of the icons (!!!). Easy to read. A lot of these 7" tablets have tiny text and tiny icons.
Strong WiFi - the WiFi radio seems to be nicely strong.

CONS:
Size - On some apps, 7" is just too small for reading text, and some of these apps don't let you change the text size. But that's an obvious trade-off for pocketability. And its quite rare to have this issue. It's such a good overall device, I'm literally thinking of selling all my bigger tablets. To my surprise! But, I might just keep the 8.9 Samsung Tab, just because it is the perfect all-around size and weight and balance. And price, ($399 at Best Buy online). The only problem, of course, is that it doesn't fit in your pocket, (though, like I said, it fits in a handbag, if you're a woman). Or, possinly hang onto the 10.1 Tab, just for the screen size for movies. But... 8.9 is pretty close.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for college students, January 18, 2012
This review is from: HTC Flyer 7" Android Tablet, 16 GB (Personal Computers)
I have to say that I love this tablet more now that it has Honeycomb (Android 3 OS)than when it had Gingerbread (Android 2 OS). The reason for getting this tablet was so that I could have a companion for my laptop for college. I was tired of lugging around 5 to 7 pounds of technology just to go on the internet to do research or type out something while I was on break at work. I was leaning towards the Nook Tablet and the Kindle Fire for the longest time but when I measured them up to the HTC Flyer, there was no question. I already have a Nook Touch e-reader so I was looking for an android interface that allowed me to take notes and do word docs like a computer with a 7 inch screen. I had tried out many different devices at Best Buy and decided that 10 inch was way too big and anything smaller than a 7 inch was just an oversize phone. In short here are the qualities about the HTC Flyer.

Pros:

*pen option and use of cheap stylus($40 to $80 extra but worth it and is now integrated to work with almost every app with Honeycomb update)
*notes with Evernote that allows you to record, timestamp, connect to calender, and insert just about anything in the notes plus handwrite (I have used this many times and have saved me a lot of trouble with paper and pen with taking notes)
*front and back facing cameras (really great for taking pictures of the charts in textbooks plus for video chat and Skype)
*open market for apps (as opposed to the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet and Blackberry OS tablets restriction to just their markets)
*speakers (pretty loud and good quality for a small device in comparison with other "stereo" smart devices)
*expandable memory (microSD allows the already big memory of 16G to be expanded to close to infinity)
*clear, crisp screen (I have watched movies on Netflix and compared it to my HDTV and my HD display on my laptop and they were all pretty much the same)
*bluetooth 3.0 compatible (pretty much any generic bluetooth keyboard will work)
*screen responsiveness is very quick and very light touch is only needed
*battery life longer than my smartphone (around 3 days if you mess with it for about 4 hours on and off each day and are connected to wi-fi)

Cons:
*funky charger output (MHL port and DLNA capability so you can output to bigger screens as HTC state but I would have liked microUSB or just USB 2.0 or 3.0 just so I could connect other devices without buying special cables)
*major glare on the screen BUT easily fixed by $1 anti-glare matte screen protector I found on Amazon
*comes with Gingerbread OS and you have to update
*Wi-Fi only (unless you want to get the 3G and pay for a plan but I would still expect 4G)
*no lock mode for the on-screen keyboard while using HTC pen (scribe) or external/bluetooth keyboard (it get quite annoying that you can't rest your hand on the screen when writing or touch the cursor to the right place when typing without the keyboard popping up)
*didn't come with the pen (some HTC Flyers come with the pen while others are packaged without)
*a little heavy (if you are a guy 1.5 lbs to 2 lbs isn't going weigh much but if you are holding it for a long time it gets to you more than a phone would) This is the only con that I really don't mind because its a mini laptop.
*Retail price pushes $600.00 (I got mine around the holidays from Best Buy for $300 but I had to wait 3 weeks to get it because it was backordered).

In all, I would recommend it to anyone. I absolutely love it. Its small enough to fit into most purses and to most hoodie pockets. I was even able to fit in my scrubs' side pocket. I do everything on it for school (even write Word docs with an app and bluetooth keyboard). If you have kids, it has a kids mode. Dock mode is great (even if you don't have a dock) for at night so you can set alarms. The only reason I wouldn't buy it again would be if I have to pay more than $400 for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars soon to be perfect for my needs, December 18, 2011
This review is from: HTC Flyer 7" Android Tablet, 16 GB (Personal Computers)
I love this tablet!!! Since I got my flyer I have hardly touched my computer. The flyer does almost everything I use my computer for and more. I'm protecting the attractive sleek design with a green Trident case, and it still fits in my coat pocket. This tablet has been extremely reliable, and the battery life is fantastic. I use my flyer throughout the day, and I usually recharge it every day and a half. I set that screen as dim as it goes and it's still bright and I run the Juice defender app and the tablet lasts a long time even with heavy use.

Ok, now for the cons. There are three things that made this a four star review instead of a five star. My first complaint is the strange location of the micro SD card. You have to forcibly remove a back panel to install and uninstall the card, I wish the card could be accessed as easily as on the new galaxy tab 7.0 Plus. Next is the processor, while I haven't noticed any lagging I do wish it was a dual core processor, since that is standard on almost all the other tablets that came out this year. lastly is the feature that HTC raved about but I find is a let down for the time being. The stylus is expensive and almost useless so long as the tablet is running Android 2.3. The stylus doesn't work while web browsing or with any other app, and my one great hope was that I could draw with it since I am an illustrator. The good news here is that the Honeycomb update is already being rolled out in Europe, and is said to come to the US in the opening months of 2012. My understanding is that the update will make the stylus work with almost every feature and app. I eagerly await the update, and if HTC or any other tablet manufacturer is listening to this what I really want and would pay a lot of money for is a tablet that works with the standard Wacom stylus!

update 1/18/12 my flyer updated to Honeycomb 3.2.1 about two weeks ago and now the stylus functions with everything! My only complaint about it is that the pen can be a little sensitive for drawing, it tends to start lines on the screen before it's even touching it. some way to adjust the sensitivity would be cool. Now my flyer does everything I was hoping it would, the only reason for 4 stars instead of 5 is that it doesn't sport a dual core processor. I recommend this tablet to anyone, At the Best Buy price point the HTC flyer is a great buy. I use mine constantly and am very satisfied with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best 7 Inch Tablets Around, June 18, 2012
This review is from: HTC Flyer 7" Android Tablet, 16 GB (Personal Computers)
This is a great device. I am not going to a long elaborate review because clearly, that has all been done before by other reviews. I am giving a review based on my experience with this device. First off, I have the HTC EVO View tablet with Sprint which requires a monthly data plan. It is not that expensive, so I thought I'd dive into the tablet craze and get one. I had an iPad, but hated using iTunes. In addition, I hated the small memory, and the lack of a micro sd card slot in the iPad. The device is also quite expensive and really should have included 160GB of memory for what Apple is charging.

Anyways, I digress. If anyone is in the market for a tablet, I'd recommend the HTC Evo View/HTC Flyer in a heartbeat without any reservations. This is a well made device and feels good in the hand. I feel the premium quality in my hands every time I use this thing. I only need a tablet to view my movies and do the occasional web browsing when waiting for friends, grabbing some coffee, or killing time on a long bus ride. The device came with Android Gingerbread OS which is like 2.3 and I loved it. I was dumb and did a software update and now I have Android 3.0. I regret every doing the software update. The device lags a big and is less fluid then 2.3. If one gets this device, keep and enjoy Gingerbread. For anyone who has an HTC EVO phone then they can pretty much know what to expect when getting this device. This is just a jumbo HTC EVO on steroids. This device is about to be discontinued and is always on sale for under two-hundred dollars at Sprint.

Pros:
7 inch screen (portability & convenience)
32GB of internal memory
Ability to remove Sprint installed apps
Originally installed Gingerbeard OS 2.3
HTC Sense UI
5.0 megapixel camera/camcorder
64GB expandable memory via micro SD
4,000 MAH battery
Adobe flash
1GB of RAM
Front facing camera for video calls
3G/4G Connection
Wi-Fi
Long lasting battery life

Cons:
OS updated to 3.0 and I regret it
No Super AMOLED HD display
Should come with 64GB or 120GB of internal memory
Metal body can make the device feel a bit hefty
Upgraded to Android 3.0 & regret it

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, exactly what I wanted, October 11, 2011
This review is from: HTC Flyer 7" Android Tablet, 16 GB (Personal Computers)
First, let me say I am a definite mac fan. I am a graphic designer and swear by apple. But the iPad two doesn't run flash and is heavy and expensive. I also tried the iconia 500 tablet (android honeycomb) and wasn't too impressed. Took it back and went to best buy and tried the flyer on a whim...and I LOVED IT! Its the perfect size for me, it runs flash, plays NETFLIX (none of the newer honeycomb android tabs do yet, to my knowledge), and it is just...really really good-looking. the interface is user-friendly and has a sleek, hi end appearance at a lower price. By the way, Best Buy has the tablet for $299, but it comes without the pen. The pen is nice, if you want to draw or take notes. Not sure I think the pen is worth $80, but if you get it on sale it is a nice "toy" :D

5.0 out of 5 stars A dynamic 7-inch tablet, October 7, 2011
sal "salby" (Rockford, Illinois United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HTC Flyer 7" Android Tablet, 16 GB (Personal Computers)
Had looked at the Flyer in months past, but the original price had turned me away. Over this year I had tried the Nook Color with CM7 operating system. Also tried the Galaxy Tab and the Acer Iconia A100 , all 7 inch tablets. I kind of liked the modified Nook Color but it was not a good music player and had a slow processor.

A vendor lowered the price on the Flyer this week so I decided to give it a try. As I have worked with the Flyer I am learning what a great 7 inch tablet this is. Fairly lite, sturdy build, FAST, great music, crystal clear display and a lot of memory with room to add a microSD card to increase storage.

You have to look around for accessories, but now that some of the cellular companies are offering the Flyer, I think more accessories will become available. The OS is Gingerbread, with HTC Sense added and it is a good setup. Honeycomb is going to be released any day now and that will make things even better. Should result in much better performance from the stylus that is available for the Flyer--and that will be a great added feature.

Quite pleased and and happy with the purchase.

ARRAY(0xa7964510)