5.0 out of 5 stars Love it.
I initially had gone for Blackberry's new 8350 Curve after switching from an iPhone. I made the switch because Sprint is the only service with repeaters in our hospital and so is the only service readily available throughout. The new Curve is a functional, cost-effective phone but I genuinely missed the ability to read webpages as they are and the features of a...
Published on February 2, 2010 by T. Hudson

2.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag
I both love and hate this phone. I love the Android operating system. It's very elegant and easy to use. The Market is filled with Apps, and I was able to find an app for everything that I needed to do. I've used several different Android phones and generally found that the Android OS is reliable and stable. The phone and the user interface is also visually...
Published on February 10, 2010 by M. Anderson

‹ Previous | 14 5 69 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Little phone when updated with Cyanogen, November 22, 2011
This review is from: HTC Hero Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
Though the phone is older it has worked well and has taken a beating.
I do not fault the phone for not having an current system (or running slowly because of the incompatibility with newer aps) on it because after updating using CyanogenMod the phone works awesome. I've never had problems with the camera or any of the other hardware.

The trackball is all but useless for my day to day usage but does not get in the way and the back cover is tough to get off, but I would certainly recommend the Hero to someone willing to root and upgrade the phone.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Wonder at First, But a FAIL, August 1, 2010
This review is from: HTC Hero Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I got this phone through Sprint last November. At first, I was completely taken by all that it could do, which is essentially everything that one could want: make calls, take pictures, keep track of contacts, surf the web, complete Gmail integration and the list goes on and on and on. I am now on my THIRD phone, and they all have the same essential problem - this phone is woefully underpowered when you are multitasking. You have to keep using the "TaskKiller" app in order to shut off the programs that take up RAM space. Otherwise, (and even sometimes even despite the use of the task killer) the keys stick constantly, so that you end up waiting what seems like forever for the processor to "process" your command - sometimes I count off "six one thousand" before it responds. This is especially annoying when, as is a regular occurrence, I am typing an email, a call comes in, and I cannot answer it because the phone doesn't exit the email program in time for me to say "hello". There are times when I get so frustrated at this thing that I want to throw it against the nearest brick wall and take pleasure in watching it break into a gazillion pieces. Sprint is undoubtedly aware of this issue, but refuses to allow me to purchase, at the discount, the new EVO phone, which has a 1Ghz processor and which from what I have read, is, unlike this piece of crap, ready for prime-time, as is reflected in the fact that Sprint can't keep them in stock, and neither can Amazon. To go on eBay to find one will cost $600. So as a nearly 20 year Sprint customer, I am left with this piece of frustration-inducing technology until September of 2011, or I decide to ditch Sprint altogether and get another Android phone with another carrier. Which is a tough call since Sprint has a really great network that I would hate to leave. But boy, this phone has so much potential - but it's really underpowered and as a result, the whole Android and Sprint experience is too often just pathetic. What should be a pleasure, has turned into something that too often raises my blood pressure.

2.0 out of 5 stars HTC Hero sucks!, July 5, 2011
This review is from: HTC Hero Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I had this phone over a year half. it sucks. The battery life is okay for less than a 8 hours with texts, and internet. The internet is okay, but sometimes slow. Text is good. I recommend you, Don't buy it. And I am looking around for Evo 4G and Evo 3D.

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage!, June 15, 2011
This review is from: HTC Hero Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
we've had this phone for a little under a year and i've had to take it in twice for repair. It freezes up all the time. The control are just impossible. It's heavy as hell. Sprint offers TV on this device but it might as well not have any because it almost never works. The camera is good and so it's the camcorder but the rest is not worth the money. Save your money and invest it on a device that will last longer than 9 months.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful waste of money, June 6, 2011
This review is from: HTC Hero Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I loved this phone at first, until I loaded the programs I wanted onto it. Severe lag meant the phone could be unusable for up to 5 minutes at a time, not to mention the battery life was less than a full day which means if I were not a college kid and up at weird hours of day anyways, most of the time it would have been dead.. It also lacks the feature to send applications to the SD Card which is insane. Another feature that I found severely lacking was the messaging application. The phone doesn't delete your texts after a certain amount like any other phone available on the market, which can exasperate the lag problem. It got to the point that I would set it down, go get a bowl of cereal, eat it, come back and the phone was still frozen. When I cut down the applications to the minimal amount along with manually deleting texts which made it somewhat serviceable, but I would not wish this on an enemy.

5.0 out of 5 stars HTC Hero is the best phone I have ever owned!, February 18, 2011
This review is from: HTC Hero Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
I first started Sprint service with a red LG Rumor Touch and it was stolen so I purchased an HTC Hero. This is the best phone that I have ever owned. It is fast, has a lot of apps, and is overall a great phone. GREAT PHONE AND I CAN NOT SAY THAT ENOUGH. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A GREAT PHONE FOR SPRINT, PURCHASE THIS ONE BECAUSE THE RETAIL ON IT IS HIGHER THAN A SLEW OF HTC PHONES. THANK YOU!

1.0 out of 5 stars Fun phone when you are bored but not worth it for the price, January 17, 2011
This review is from: HTC Hero Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
This phone was fun when I first brought it. What really disappoint me was it was not out for very long when it was replaced by better models out of no where the same year. To some people it does not matter too much but for people like me who pays the full sprint package every month and the phone can not perform that great for the price I paid, it really blows. The phone is full of feathers but there are no point in having them if they always lag. First few days it ran fine but after awhile it will require you to restart your phone weekly for it to stay quick. I get MANY miss calls because they phone takes for ever to pick up when I hit the pick up button. The phone came with android 1.5 and you had to take it to the sprint store to get it updated to out of dated 2.1. The newest Android firmware does not exist for this phone currently. EVERYTHING about this phone just lags and lags. Sometime it has to think if I am trying to pull up the phone book or pull up even sprint navigation. Every since the firmware upgrade battery life is about half a day. I do not do much with the phone most of the day and it still drains yet I need all my internet, email, and daily expected features of my phone I paid for to run. Screen is not sensitive. Sometime when I press on the screen it even after calibration it still is OFF!!! I live in a not so rich area and reception sucks. I have to be in the rich area to get 3G service. My phone is not damage. It just sucks period. I do not even install apps into my phone other then GPS speedometer which I do not leave running and angry birds which lags so badly that I just do not even play it.

Once my contract is up I am going back to Iphone. Hero is OK but for the price it is not worth it. On top of that you have to pay another 50 bucks to get the EVO 4G which is not even that much faster unless your in the richer area!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Slowest phone ever, July 8, 2010
Peter Sedivec (Berkeley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HTC Hero Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
This phone has a LOT of potential, unfortunately the software is TERRIBLE and it is either extremely underpowered or just poorly designed software. When the phone is new it is responsive to your touch, has a little bit of a lag when moving around but that's normal.

Once you load apps on it and start attempting to use it towards it's potential the phone becomes crippled and in my opinion is the worst phone I've had it 10 yrs. I often wait 3-5 sec after clicking on pretty much any button for my input to be acknowledged. When dialing a call I will hit the person's name and it will actually not start the call for 35+ seconds. I've timed it with a stopwatch. It is so bad that in the beginning I thought it didn't take my input so I'd retouch the screen. Fortunately, this phone is so smart that it would recognize both inputs with the huge lag so it would connect my call with person A, and then when i was on the call with person A it would dial person A again at the same time so I'd be talking to them and we'd both hear the phone ringing. They'd ask me, why are you calling again when we're on the phone and I'd have to explain how ridiculously slow the phone is to respond and the problems. Only way to remedy this situtation is to hang up and retry.

The phone drops calls in areas where my old phone never dropped calls, so i'd rate reception as worse.

The battery life is awful. I use it fairly heavily, but after owning it for 6 months my phone battery is usually done after about 6hrs of being unplugged.

I upgraded to the new Android OS 2.1 but this makes things even worse. Seems to have some nice newer features but that just makes the phone hog the internet more and be less responsive.

Terrible lag when typing messages.

Why can't the software developers figure out that this is a SINGLE CORE processor and it CANNOT multi-task. If the user is actively using the phone, background tasks need to be halted so that the phone can be responsive. I'm tired of waiting 5 seconds between each click, and actually set the phone down when navigating through screens (e.g. like adding a new contact, seriously!!)

2.0 out of 5 stars great phone, terrible lag., August 15, 2010
This review is from: HTC Hero Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
i hate being the one to give negative reviews, but my experience with the hero has been a very, very laggy one. yes, being a geek, not only have i used all sorts of task managers and whatnot to keep the phone as clear as possible, i have even flashed some custom ROMS on it. the 528 mhz processor just doesn't cut it. a big issue with the phone is that when trying to type landscape, the delay between hitting the key and the letter appearing is too long to merit use. the portrait keyboard is only slightly less laggy. nearly every aspect of this phone is framed by lag, holding back what is otherwise a beautiful, wonderful android experience. the HTC sense UI is stunning, and android is just wonderful. that being said, don't waste your time and energy on this sub-par device, sprint ahead(see what i did there? lulz ^_^) and pick yourself up an evo or epic that can take advantage of sprint's wonderful high speed (even on 3g) network, with those phones that can handle the wonderful android experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars HTC Hero, July 24, 2010
David E Smith (CONYERS, GA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HTC Hero Android Phone (Sprint) (Wireless Phone)
Very happy with all aspects of the Hero. I have not encountered anything negative and would highly recommend to someone who desires an Android phone.

‹ Previous | 14 5 69 | Next ›