5.0 out of 5 stars Buy the HTC Droid Incredible!
I've had this phone since April 28th and I'm actually rewriting my original review using my HTC Incredible as my laptop's internet connection via EasyTether Lite (free). I must say I'm really impressed with this phone. It's super fast, good looking, and customizable. It's a treat to finally have a great phone paired with a great network!

Update September 1st...
Published on April 29, 2010 by C. Moberg

1.0 out of 5 stars 4 defective Droid Incredible phones in 6 months!
I bought my first Droid Incredible in April 2010. I absolutely loved it, but then the speaker broke. Verizon sent me a refurbished Incredible phone for free in accordance with the warranty. This 2nd phone was defective: the phone unloaded the memory card every 1-2 days. To get it working, I had to remove the protective cover, remove the phone back cover, remove the card,...
Published on October 3, 2010 by B. Lee

‹ Previous | 19 10 1120 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent for its time, April 27, 2012
This review is from: HTC DROID INCREDIBLE Android Phone (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I acquired an HTC Incredible in late 2010 as my first smart phone. It was an impressive performer for me over two years, and other people were impressed by it. Even iPhone people were impressed by it. The neat things about it are well described in these reviews. I got a lot of utility out of the Incredible.

There are at least two persistent problems related to this model that would probably stop most shoppers from buying it if they had forehand knowledge.

Biggest problem is that a heavily used Incredible frequently throws a low phone disk space alert. When this alert is active the phone works but gmail, android mail, and facebook apps won't sync. The phone was built with plenty of memory, so it's no doubt a software problem ultimately traceable to Android 2.2. And there's a decent workaround, which is to clear caches and manage apps often. But the whole experience was aggravating over the course of several months. A real upgrade fix within 2.2 or 2.3 was never offered.

Second thing is these handsets have rear speakers that tend to go bad. So common it is that the speaker is abundantly available on the retail market as an inexpensive spare part. The part availability is not a bad thing. But most people won't have the wherewithal to perform that fix when the Incredible breaks down.

Nonetheless, it was a good phone for its time in the smartphone era. Most people got good service from it. Give it a 4.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great device, with a few qualms., April 12, 2011
The HTC Droid Incredible suffers from split personalities; , while it is a terrific device for smartphone/multimedia usage, it's performance as a phone was somewhat disappointing.

Pros:
- The Droid Incredible is just the right size. The device is large enough to allow for a proper smartphone experience, yet not large enough to become a cumbersome burden on a daily basis.
- HTC's software perfectly complements the Android OS. The Sense software overlay is both practical and visually appealing, especially in contrast to the stock Android software, which is quite spartan in comparison.
- Typing messages and e-mails was a breeze with the on-screen keyboard. I didn't experience any lag while typing, and the inclusion of a period and comma button on the first layer of the keyboard was very helpful.
- The phone's spec sheet points out that the hardware packs plenty of horsepower, and indeed I didn't experience any lag while performing functions with the device, including multi-tasking.
- Push e-mail was every bit as reliable as any Blackberry with the G-Mail app. The standard e-mail app syncs every fifteen minutes, which is more than bearable for most users.
- Web browsing on the device was speedy, and the browser rarely stalled on any webpage. In two weeks of usage, the web browser failed to load a page only twice, which is remarkable when considering how much I used it. Download speeds were pretty good over Verizon's network; I averaged 800-1200 kbps down and 500-900 up.
- Android Market has plenty of apps to increase productivity and occupy time; but my past Android phones were slow to load and install apps. The Droid Incredible downloaded and installed apps with impressive speed.
- If your into aesthetic appeal, the device is attractive and professional looking.

Cons:
- As mentioned, while the Droid Incredible was an outstanding device, it was a mediocre phone based on my experience. Call quality was the worst i've ever experienced on any Verizon phone. It was nearly as bad as any At&t phone i've used in my area (and At&t has notoriously poor call quality in this region). I'd grade the call quality roughly six out of ten, give and take half a point depending on location. At times, the phone sounded fine, and during others, sounded like the other person was talking through a sheet of wax paper. There was some muffling, and roughly one of every twelve to fifteen syllables was lost in the transmission. If your looking for a phone with great call quality, I really can't recommend this one.
- It should be noted that the topic of the Droid Incredible's call quality has been heavily discussed online. Some users like myself experienced poor call quality, others achieved the opposite result. While I acknowledge my particular device could have been a "lemon," your probably taking a fifty/fifty chance on call quality if you purchase this one.
- The Droid Incredible exhibited Blackberry-esque signal bounce. The device gets good reception, but the cellular antenna is very sensitive. When I didn't hold the device at the top, reception would fluctuate as much as as 23db.
- An eccentric characteristic of the Droid Incredible is that it's stock signal indicator didn't seem to work. A quick download of the RealSignal app from Android Market was a painless fix to the problem, but in 2011, this shouldn't have been a problem to begin with.
- Battery life is a little below average for a smartphone. It's acceptable if you properly condition the battery during the first 5-7 days of usage; after that time, I noticed my battery life almost doubled. However, it was still slightly sub-par after conditioning.

The HTC Droid Incredible gets four stars for two reasons; Amazon won't let me give it a 3.5 rating, and the device shines where it was designed to shine. It offers a great smartphone and multimedia experience, and I recognize that many within the phone's target audience won't actually be averaging the two hours of calling per day that I do. I'd recommend the phone to those who average fewer than twenty minutes of calling per day, and who don't mind carrying around a car charger or spare charger and possibly an extra battery. Unfortunately, if your looking for a smartphone on Verizon with a screen larger than 3.2 inches but smaller than 4.3, there aren't a lot of other options available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough and powerful, March 8, 2011
Ted Sbardella (Columbia, SC USA) - See all my reviews
I would choose this over an Iphone even if I got the Iphone free. I think it has more capabilities and is more useful.

The phone is very tough. I recommended it to my gf even though she was out of her contract and could get an iphone.

Seriously.. get a google voice number and you have a very useful communication device.

cons have been some weird problems that come and go with system updates. After a year it is a much better phone and if you get one now its very mature. I am not happy with the facebook integration it sucks the battery.

I have had a chance to use Motorola phones as well as part of my job and I would take and iphone before one of those.

If this phone was not available I would use an iphone. the fact that its so cheap makes it a no-brainer.

2.0 out of 5 stars HTC Incredible - Its no iPhone 4, July 17, 2010
BrandonJS (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
Switched from iPhone 3g last week and now I'm wishing I got the iPhone 4. The Android OS is not as refined as the iOS. If you've never owned an iPhone before this is probably a huge step up but for those of you who have this feels like a step down. Many other reviews compare this to the iPhone 3g and 3gs, which are very similar to the Incredible but it doesn't quite compare to the iPhone 4.

Pros:
-Much faster than the iPhone 3g, as fast as the iPhone 3gs
-Google Maps and Turn by Turn Navigation are fantastic
-Multitasking
-Great camera
-Widgets
-Over the air syncing with Google Mail and Calendar works well
-Uses Verizon network - no more dropped calls with AT&T
-Android Market has most of the big name apps the App Store does so you won't miss too much
-Sync contacts with Facebook
-Voice to Text is amazing (just started using it after owning it for a couple of weeks)

Cons:
-Verizon includes adware that can't be removed, prompts you several times to buy! One of these apps is CityId which tells you what city & state a phone number is from. This is included with the iPhone but you must pay for it on the Incredible.
-Have to pay $3/mo for visual voicemail, its included with the iPhone
-Battery life is extremely poor, it burns through battery even when there is nothing running, so much so I think it may be defective.
-Doesn't have OLED screen, its near impossible to read in direct sunlight.
-No backup utility included, you must purchase one.
-Android apps have crashed a few times already
-No voice dialing over Bluetooth
-No external button to turn off ringer
-Can't turn off Haptic feedback (vibrates when you touch a button) when in Vibrate only mode. It would be nice to setup your own Sound/Ringer profiles.
-Facebook app has fewer features than the iPhone version
-Fewer accessories than the iPhone, but still enough to get by
-Waiting for the Android 2.2 update which has already been released but not for the HTC Incredible, current estimates are by Christmas.

Email Issues:
-Cannot fully zoom out when viewing an email, must constantly scroll left to right.
-Won't display messages sent from outlook 2003 (which is what my company uses).
-Doesn't sync with yahoo contacts and poor syncing with yahoo mail (the email app from yahoo is incomplete, there is no copy & paste). Would really not recommend this phone if using yahoo mail.

The HTC Incredible is a great phone but just isn't as nice as the iPhone 4. Would have given it 2 1/2 stars if I could. Other than the screen (which looks great but is unreadable in sunlight) all of these issues are with the software. Hopefully over the year or so there will be some updates to address them. My suggestion is either to wait and see what updates come or buy an iPhone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible How Far We've Come, December 21, 2010
I echo what so many other reviews have said about this phone - great device in so many ways, not so great battery life. The hardware is nice, great screen and good functional buttons across the bottom. But the hardware is not where this phone distinguishes itself. After spending the last two years with the BlackBerry Storm and RIM's OS 5.0, moving to Android 2.2 is so satisfying, especially since I am no longer doing battery pulls throughout the day. I finally feel like I arrived at the app party, as the BB App World just wasn't doing it for me. And while I was sad to leave BB Messenger (the strongest reason to stick with BB for your personal device needs and the only thing that is keeping RIM alive outside of corporate email), I easily found an app that essentially replaces BBM for free. The Android Marketplace is easy to navigate and includes anything you would want, and often multiple versions of it. And while it is true that Android OS makes this phone what it is, users also get the benefit of the HTC user interface. In my mind, the HTC Sense interface is why people love this phone more than anything Motorola puts out. Needless to say, I am extremely happy with my switch and there is little I would change with this phone. I have customized this phone and this will be my can't-live-without device for at least the next two years. To beat the battery issues, I have taken to bringing my charger with me to work and charging it fully before I leave for the day in addition to charging it over night. Yes it's a pain, but this is what's necessary when you must always be connected. When I think back to my first cell phone seven years ago, it is incredible how far we've come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible lives up to its name!, February 24, 2011
I have been a Blackberry user for a very long time. I have had the Incredible since January and I have to say I am impressed! I am thrilled I made the switch. Not only is my call quality much clearer, but the sound is louder as well. Having the phone on speaker works great. No muffled sounds. Internet is a great experience and blazing fast.
It is nice to have full web pages and not have to squint to see. My email comes to me just as quickly as it did with Blackberry. The camera is awesome as with video. Love listening to my CD's that I have downloaded and Pandora sounds great too. My only complaint is battery life but I have an extended battery and I have gained an additional 30% usage. I don't recommend using a task manager. It will just eat your battery more.
Android system takes care of the tasking for you. I have never used a task manager. I think if you give it a try NOT using it, you will have better battery use. Having voice navigation free and not having to pay for VZ Navigator is awesome. I use it a lot and it is a great app, very accurate. Coming from BB and having to pay for the navigation really made me happy to no longer have to pay. All in all, I am really pleased and I highly recommend the Droid Incredible. I am not an iphone fan and this device certainly beats it in my opinion.
This device will not let you down. I did upgrade the keyboard and I am loving the touch screen. I can't see myself using a full qwerty. It was an easy transition . Don't hesitate...........get this device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Android OS + HTC Sense beats iOS/iphone, February 21, 2011
1. Android + HTC Sense shows 7 home screens per scene (and multiple scenes) that are highly and easily customizable. More information displayed right on the page.
2. Use of Widgets (more information displaced on the page/icon) that are easily customizable. You can put email widget, weather widget, contact widget... on your home screens. You don't need to click on an icon to see what is in there. Information is shown right on the widget. iphone/iOS still gives you a whole bunch of icons.
3. Easy file transfer between phone and other devices (e.g., computer). No more painful itune transfer. By comparison, iphone/iOS is intentionally designed like an information blackhole -- stuff goes in (slowly) and downright difficult to get out.
4. 8 GB internal memory + removable micro SD card support.
5. When plugged into a computer, it shows up as an external drive.
6. Free Google Navigation (with voice guide).
7. Google Street View support!
8. Integration with Google Gmail, calendar, contacts, documents, etc. (if you use them)
9. Removable battery (you can buy more batteries or higher-capacity batteries to extend use time).
10. Live wallpapers (e.g., you can put maps and traffic on the wallpaper)
11. No constant and insufferable and slow itune and ios updates.
12. More...

Well, although iphone/iOS is better as a MP3 and podcast player (but not that much better), you can just get an ipod touch! When your iphone broke, your ipod would still work. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product... fast shipping, October 3, 2010
I returned the Droid II and got the incredible... I love the incredible and have no regrets. Exchanging the phone through amazone wireless was a breeze. I will likely buy my phones off amazon wireless from now on.

5.0 out of 5 stars The crack cocaine of techonogy, February 20, 2011
I bought my Droid Incredible about a month ago and now I find that without it I go through withdrawals. I thought I lost mine and went out to purchase another within hours, only to have an administrator find my original. Verizon allowed me to return the one I had just purchased minus a restocking fee ($35).

Now I use google navigation for my gps, I bought Klipsch earphones to listen to music and watch videos before I teach class to get more familiar with techniques. I teach Krav Maga and new techniques keep coming in from the IDF (Israeli Defense Forces). Yes sir, I am trapped by the comprehensive environment which the Droid puts you in. The first time I plugged it into my computer, it synced my contact list and does so periodically. My main accounts are gmail and yahoo.

The touch technology is incredible and I have "phone envy" to none, my HTC Incredible is just that, Incredible. Blackberry users drool and iPhone users wish they had the capabilities I have (multitasking). So for less money than an iPhone I got a more powerful and functional phone.

The Droid 2.2 OS so completely opens me into an unrestricted world of media and streaming. As far as media sales go, it's Amazon (non proprietary) v. Apple store and the little apple world, one full of worms. Wake up, this is an open source world, even MSFT participates with media.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best cell phone I've owned but it's a battery hog., June 1, 2010
Kenneth (United States) - See all my reviews
I won't repeat the raves that everyone else has given this phone, but it does everything my BB Storm did only better and faster. Plus I don't have to keep running my task killer to free up memory. (Wake up BB, you need to allow your apps to run on the storage card or increase your on-board memory).

I would have given this phone 5 stars except for the battery life. This would be my only complaint. I've had it four days now and have been careful to run the phone through cycles in order to build up the battery life. I finally decided to opt for the extended battery and a separate charger both from Seidio. I've read the comments re: the above battery so I don't expect to significantly increase the amount of time between charges but any improvement would be welcome.

I've heard rumors that the Froyo op sys will address the battery life but then I only believe about 1/3rd of what I read on the internet. (Present company excluded).

I was lucky enough to find this phone in a Best Buy (I know) when everyone else was sold out. I drove through was the closest thing we in Pennsylvania have to a tropical storm, four inches of water running down the street, lightning striking all around me and power outages extending for blocks, simply to get this phone.

It was worth every minute!

‹ Previous | 19 10 1120 | Next ›