5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the iPhone 4 ?
I don't write many reviews for products that I buy, but this product deserves some recognition. In a few words: It is amazing. I love many things about this phone that I may have to list the pros and cons...I think I will actually do just that:

Pros

Large screen

The screen, measured diagonally, is about 4.3". This is very large. If you...
Published on March 3, 2011 by Brad

3.0 out of 5 stars The good, the bad and the ugly
My background: have used Blackberries for as long as I can remember, use the phone mostly to keep in touch with work email, occasional web surfingl

The good:
- screen size noticeable bigger than IPhone, though not as sharp looking
- I love the Android OS and the availability of apps on the Android market. Took a little bit of getting used...
Published on July 29, 2011 by Lazar

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone with a few limitations, July 1, 2011
This review is from: HTC Inspire 4G Android Phone, Black (AT&T) (Wireless Phone)
Let me just say I love this phone. That being said, I am coming from an iPhone 3g. This Inspire is blazing fast, the HTC interface is great, easy to use and simple to learn. Calls sound great, the touchscreen is beautiful, the browser is perfect, all around it is a great phone. But it does have a few limitations:

It is not really 4G (but then again no phone is, at least not for a long while). AT&T's current 4G model currently consists of HSPA+, an upgraded 3G platform that improves speed IF you live in an area where the HSPA+ has been given the "enhanced backhaul" (still waiting in the North VA/DC area). But the 3G speeds I get on it are very reliable. So, why does this come up as a limitation? AT&T is currently doing a lot of BIG talking about their 4G lineup and the foundation being laid for LTE, their next big step in 4G. What they don't mention is that apparently the majority of their 4G lineup of phones are NOT LTE compatible. If you buy the Inspire, you will NOT be able to take advantage of the LTE speeds when it is fully rolled out. Seems a little misleading, but I am not griping because I didn't buy the phone for the 4G. I am almost always near a wi-fi hot spot.

Second, is the battery life. But hey, most smartphones that do everything these days will eat your battery. So here are some tips, turn of radios you aren't using. Why is your wi-fi, mobile data, and GPS radios on if you are not using them? Eating up battery life. Turn off/down the sync times for your email/Facebook/etc. Do you really need a notification every 15 minutes of emails and for social apps? Eating up battery life. I set them to only sync manually (when I access the app) or to every 4 hours (during peak usage times). Also, apps like Juice Defender are great for managing your power saving abilities. Battery life on my phone (with moderate usage everyday) can last anywhere from 1.5 to 2 days before needing a charge.

Once again, great phone, great hardware, great interface. But read and learn before you buy. Don't buy and then complain later.

5.0 out of 5 stars HTC Inspire is a really big phone, February 22, 2011
Got this one yesterday, and it is really big. Too big, I do not think so but I have to say it is boarder line. I would go no bigger than this. First impressions, getting the battery cover off was a bit unnerving as the "insert finger here" spot opened that side, but the door only half opened so care had to be taken to pry the other side open. The sim card cover came open easily by grabbing the sides of the cover and sliding off, not exactly what the instructions said, but seemed way easier and safer. Nothing damaged, so that is good!

As for the phone itself, I have shown it around the office, and general consensus is that it may be a bit big for one hand operation. Do not get me wrong, it can be operated with one hand, but getting the thumb to swipe from side to side fully is a stretch. I was using 2 hands and was completely happy. The screen is wonderful, and begin the recent owner of a Droid 2, I was very worried about not having a keyboard, as other phones I tried, well typing was frustrating as it never choose the right letter. But the Inspire is better than I imagined. I have set up a bunch of stuff now, and so far mistyped only one letter if I recall correctly. Absolutely wonderful!

Android works great, customizable and all. Not sure how to rate that type of thing, as it is so customizable it will be each to his/her own. Makes sense, things seemed to be findable without too much trouble given that I had the Droid 2 as my first smartphone for all of 2 months before it died in a watery grave.

I have also played with the camera, again in comparison to the Droid 2 the Inspire blows it away! Wow! The color is very real, and the flash... the flash is not some wimpy light it enough to barely recognize a face in a dimly lit bar type of flash. It lights up the room like a real camera would, almost to the point where it seemed too much. More testing on my part is needed, but hands down Inspire blows away the Droid 2.

Will post more as I get further along, but so far it is great, 4.5 stars and the half star off is only because it may have been better to not be as big, but I guess I will have to see what the new 4 inch screens do in the coming months.

2/24 - Update: I am getting used to the size now, not as big of a deal now that the initial shock is over. I have to say I was initially really concerned. But fits in the pocket just the same, and using it more and more every day. Phone calls are clear and audible. I do not have to ram the phone to my ear to hear people. I know, sort of a secondary feature, but none-the-less it is supposed to be a "phone".

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon & HTC did beautifully...I love it, April 11, 2011
I am beyond overjoyed on owning this phone. I have always had 'dumb' phones with no data plan. I made phone calls and that was it, on a small screen. I decided it was time to take the plunge. I am so happy I did. It has the biggest screen of any Android I know and I really enjoy it being easy on my eyes. It's attractive, well thought out, and an eye-catcher. I had to get used to all the features and free apps it has and I am constantly asking myself "What CAN'T this phone do?"

The phone is svelte and not too thick, it's really great engineering. I LOVE that it isn't plastic, it's high quality aluminum. I don't mind the weight, I want my phone to feel like something, not a lightweight plastic shell of a phone. I am done with those cheap phones. I tried the iPhone in the store and was so happy with my decision to get this one!

The 8 MP camera is shockingly good. I have found I rarely use my "real" camera anymore (Panasonic DMC-ZS7); it'll probably be just for trips and rare outings. (There you saved $200-300+)! The zoom, focus, and MP are great. Video capture is great. Within seconds I can upload to Facebook or email. Shockingly easy! It recognizes bar code scans beautifully!

What I love is you can change ANYTHING about how the screens look. Don't believe those that say they "hate this and that" about the screen. There's 7 screens and they're all customizable! Hate the clock? Hold it down and drag it to the "remove" recycle bin. Choose another clock under "Personalize..Widget..clock" and scroll through the options!

The Google voice recognition app is shocking. I have it as an app on my screen, I hit the button, say what I want to look up and it's usually right.

The Market has so many free apps, I haven't paid for one app yet!

The touchscreen keyboard took about a week to get the hang of.

Plug in your headphones (not included) and you have an instant MP3 player and FM radio - you just saved $100-300!

I could not be happier!

The only negatives I can possibly think of is that the battery installation is really, really hard. I had to get my nail in the corner of the plastic and virtually break my nail to open it up. It could definitely be an easier process, but you really only do it once (hopefully). 2nd - I had all my apps setup on the screens and I went to change the theme and everything disappeared! I was so upset, I am just leaving the theme as-is now. Maybe I did something wrong?

The only other problem was after a week the wireless stopped working. I loved getting free internet in our home with our wireless setup. I almost returned the phone I was so upset. Google 'cyberphreak htc inspire' for our fix. No problems since then.

My husband loved my phone so much he got the same exact one, but instead of going through AT&T's website like I did, he bought it via Amazon and saved even more money. It was effortless, it arrived, we activated it, done. I thought it'd be way more complicated than ordering from AT&T and it wasn't! And he saved money!

Don't think of owning this phone without a case! I own the black body glove case and my husband owns a silicone case.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great screen, great camera, terrible battery life., February 26, 2011
stray (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
I had an Inspire for about 10 days before I broke down and decided to return it. Screen is beautiful, although the glass seems to give a lot of glare. 8 megapixel camera takes great (although in some circumstances slightly high contrast) pictures overall, I tried some night shots and was fairly impressed. Sense 2.0 is... well it's Sense, if you like the htc interface you'll probably be happy with it. I'm not a big fan of htc's full page widgets, but I was able to switch to Android widgets instead fairly easily. The absolute killer for me was the battery life. With moderate use I felt like I needed to put it on the charger at every opportunity; I thought it might have been a bad battery but a little research showed htc put a tiny 1230 mAh battery in it, and that battery life concerns were a pretty common complaint for it and it's European namesake, the Desire HD. Charging twice a day or so seems to be about normal. Some things I tried did seem to help the battery situation, but I can't recommend the Inspire to anyone unless they are a very light user, or don't mind being tethered.

5.0 out of 5 stars exactly what you should expect from a premium smartphone, June 3, 2011
I was extremely aprehensive about buying this phone after reading the negative reviews. I am new to the smartphone experience but knew that I didn't want to pad Jobs' pockets any more than they already are so I wanted an Android device. I know battery life is said to be an issue with all smart phones, but most reviews say that this phone is particularly horrible. I would have to disagree, if you are a moderate user like me. I get more than a full day's use from a charge and I surf for approx. an hour or two a day and use apps/play games for another 1-2 hours. If battery life is the only reason you are not considering buying this phone and you do not plan on using it as your primary business computer you should purchase this phone.

I have been using the device for a couple weeks and could not be happier. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a functional and aesthetically pleasing phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars First phone I've actually liked since my Razr, May 11, 2011
I made the move to a smart phone as part of the AT&T buy out of Alltel. Apparently it's no longer possible to buy a regular phone that's designed for adults, not tweens. I was completely prepared to buy an iPhone 4 (I'm an avid iPod Touch user) when I made the trip into the store. I saw this phone while standing in line and was very impressed by the size and clarity of the screen. Many times with my iPod Touch I'm scrambling for my reading glasses, which is a real inconvenience, especially while driving (spare me the hands-free device lecture, that's my next project). With this phone I can see the screen clearly, navigate and type on the on-screen keyboard easily.

I love all the apps and features. It's easy to customize and by turning mobile data off and using wi-fi at home and work, I've only used around 14mb of my 200mb plan, eighteen days into the billing cycle. This may increase as I find more mobile apps that I want to use while driving, but you do not need to have mobile data enabled in order to use Google maps; only to do things like check email or surf the web.

On the advice of several people I downloaded a Task Killer app. Similar to a pc, there is a lot of stuff running in the background which can be shut off in order to speed things up and reduce battery drain (not that I would ever describe this phone as slow). I charge all my devices every night so I have no issues with battery life.

My only complaint is that the speaker-phone sucks. Callers on the other end can't hear me and even in a quiet room they report excessive background noise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth The Wait!, April 15, 2011
Eddie (Harker Heights) - See all my reviews
I switched to this phone from the Samsung Captivate, which I was very happy with. Even though I have had the Inspire for less than a full day, I am already happier with it than I was with the Captivate. Although the display is not Super AMOLED, it is slightly bigger than the Captivate's and plenty clear. I love the design of this phone, the 8-megapixel camera with dual LED flash, Android 2.2 is significantly faster than 2.1, and I am anxious to see how useful HTC Sense is. After getting used to Swype on the Captivate, not having it is a minor issue compared to all of the other features on this phone. I would highly recommend this phone to anyone and I'll update this review after using it for a longer period of time. But for now, I love it! By the way, as far as the battery life is concerned, any smartphone will have issues with battery life if you're a heavy internet browser, video streamer, game player, or multimedia message sender.

1.0 out of 5 stars Be careful when ordering from Amazon Wireless..., May 2, 2012
This phone has been OK -- I agree with most of the other reviewers' comments and have found the HTC interface and the phone overall very easy to use despite its size and weight (which is not a huge problem for me since I usually have it in my purse). It is also much more durable than expected -- I've dropped it several times on various surfaces and the screen is still intact...the battery life is not great but I don't notice it too much as I have chargers at home, at work, and in my car.

The camera is OK -- kind of blurry at times and not as naturally warm toned as the iPhone but gets the job done. Voice calls (which I don't do very often) have been good -- as clear as a normal non-cell phone. I've had this phone for almost a year and am mostly satisfied with it. However, it had been having a lot of software problems lately, so I took it to an AT&T Device Support Center in the middle of nowhere...it had been almost a year since I had ordered it, but since I still had about a week left until it would be exactly a year, I thought it should still be covered under a one-year warranty.

However, at the Device Support Center, I learned that they would do a hard restart of my phone (erasing everything) but that if that didn't solve my problems, there was no way they could replace my phone for free because the one year warranty had expired. Thinking that I had bought a brand new phone off of Amazon Wireless, it was an unpleasant surprise to hear that the phone had gone off warranty about a month before because that was when the serial number that corresponded to it had been activated. Amazon Wireless has simply said that it cannot offer any additional insight or action after I asked them why they sold me someone else's used phone as new, so my only advice to others is buyer beware!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone I've ever owned!, April 10, 2011
After realizing I was due for an upgrade, I read the reviews about this phone and decided to go shopping. I started at the AT&T store so I could actually try a functional phone. It looked and felt great. This phone is loaded with apps and has lots of options. I decided that this would be my next phone, but not from AT&T for $100.00. I eventually found it at Costco for $19.99...SOLD!!! I was even able to grandfather in my unlimited data plan.

I initially had the same "short battery life" experience that some complained about, but after doing some research and downloading a battery tender app I have greatly extended the battery life. I'm still learning about this phone and enjoying everything I discover about it.

Anyone who has this phone should go to this forum to discover answers to any questions or problems: [...]. It has lots of good info about this phone that makes it an even better experience. The App Market is full of lots of free and paid apps to do just about anything you can think of. I haven't found anything about this phone that I don't like so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great looking device. Case Accessories and Battery issue stop from giving it full Star Rating, June 2, 2011
Paracelsus (Jersey City, New Jersey) - See all my reviews
I recently purchased the Inspire 4G - and its a beauty to behold. This is a powerful phone with great pre-loaded applications. The phone itself is extremely lightweight and feels robust at the same time.
The massive 4.3 inch screen satisfies and it has excellent outer covering aesthetics.

The phone gives support for replacing batteries (just pop open a removal hatch at the back, replace your batter and you're good to go!). This is a huge step up from the stuck-with-one-battery with the iphone.

However, there are a few annoyances that stop from giving a terrific rating.
The single biggest issue is with the battery. The battery performance is quite poor - forcing you to recharge every other day. I use the phone leniently - yet the battery discharges extremely quickly - even with bluetooth, GPS , Wifi switched off!!

Another difficulty I faced is with finding appropriate accessories!! The biggest problem is finding a carrying belt pouch - that conforms to the phone design. If you're like me- and like to keep the phone protected by covering it with a silica gel or plastic covering - good luck in trying to find a suitable belt case that will accommodate the casing!! Iphone cases and pouches have no issues accommodating "covered" iphones!!
Another troubling thing is - none of the cases I see have a slot for the earphone jack. The only option is for you to find a belt pouch that has an open top so you can insert the phone upside down just to get access to the jack!!!

Other than these few gripes - the phone itself is a marvel!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›