on July 13, 2012
I'd been stuck with a Droid X on another big carrier for nearly 2 years and my X started acting wacky, and since the X was out of warranty my options were to buy an expensive upgrade or walk away from it. Since I had Virgin Mobile phones for my wife and kid I took the leap and walked. Happy I did.

I'd gotten my wife an Optimus Elite a few weeks before and it is definitely a nice little phone for the price, and was thinking about getting one for myself, but I was leaning towards going the power route and getting the Evo V 4G. Luckily - just in time, as they just came out - I ran across the HTC One V first. After a bit of research and weighing the options, I decided that I was tired of carrying around big, bulky phones, and that I really didn't need the extra power and capability the Evo has, so I picked up a One V. I don't talk much, use texting more, so the $35/month plan fits me perfectly, and at that price and for only $200 up front this is a steal. Now, to the phone itself...

It is a very compact phone, very light, yet does not at all feel cheap. No plastic backing, this one has a real aluminum unibody that both looks and feels great and offers much better protection than cheaper plastic units. It has Gorilla Glass on the screen as well, so right out of the box this phone is more solidly constructed than most of the competition. I dropped it my second day (my hands still being used to gripping a big-screened monstrosity) and it took quite a tumble before it hit the floor, picked it up and brushed it off, not a scratch and kept walking. It has a no frills appearance to it that I find aesthetically pleasing as well. Slides right in and out of the pocket, don't even notice it's there. I like that coming from a big phone that you have to struggle with to get out of the pocket.

The screen is nice and vibrant. Not the best out there but it is crisp and very responsive, with every indication of quality. Decent viewing angles. I find the 3.7" just small enough to still be easily usable and easy to type on, and still big enough for some gaming and video. Big screens are nice for those things, but I think they hit the sweet spot with 3.7" - big enough but not so big as to make the phone itself too big.

The ICS operating system is very smooth, noticeably more refined (and simpler, once you get used to it) than previous versions. I don't even care if this phone ever gets Jelly Bean or not, I am perfectly happy with ICS. App compatability has been very good so far - nearly every app I had loaded on the X (and every single one I use regularly) works fine on this one, which is surprising since this one is so new.

Under the hood this one has similar specs to what my Droid X had: a 1Ghz Snapdragon processor and 512MB of RAM. Higher end phones nowadays are sporting dual and even quad core processors paired with 1GB of RAM, but really, what do you need that for? Pretty much newer graphically intense gaming, which I don't really do with my phone (I have an Acer Iconia Tab A100 for that). I do light gaming on the phone, and for that this works just fine (although even this one will play many of the higher end games like Shadowgun, it's just not as smooth as the S3s of the world). As for other apps the hardware in the One V runs everything just fine with very little to no lag, so I'm not missing those extra cores and extra RAM. Note that if you intend to do serious gaming on your phone then this one is not for you, but if you are just a casual phone gamer then this works just fine.

The GPS is possibly the brightest spot on this phone - it is simply phenomenal. I toggle the GPS on, hop into GPS Status and *immediately* acquire 8 satellites - indoors. Then open maps and see that it has located me to within about 3-5 meters. I sometimes had to wait up to 5 minutes for my Droid X to get a position, this one took about 5 seconds.

The camera is not bad at all. The Droid X had an 8MP camera, this one a 5MP camera, and I can't tell the difference in quality. It does, however, have a neat little function where you can hold down the shutter button for a few seconds and it takes multiple pics rapidly, and lets you pick the one you want to keep. This is VERY handy for capturing stills of moving targets. Also, there is little to no shutter lag, which also helps.

Battery life has been pretty good so far. After about 10 hours at work doing some browsing, light gaming, some tunes, fiddling with GPS a bit, and no recharging I get home with anywhere from 20-40% remaining. That is perfectly adequate for me.

Cell reception seems to be quite good for me so far. I get decent 3G signal and download speed even when walking in an underground train tunnel and in areas where other big carrier phones don't. I had expected worse from a no-contract carrier, but am pleasantly surprised. I understand this will vary greatly depending upon location, but where I live it is very good. Call quality has also been good on both ends.

Wifi and Bluetooth work fine. I was even able to tether my tablet using FoxFi and run it off of Bluetooth... To save my data plan I turn on Wifi whenever I have access (like as soon as I get home). The 3G is for when I am out and about, and I should have no problem bumping up against VM's throttle limit of 2.5GB of data. That would only really be a problem if one was streaming lots of video or music, which I don't do.

So, in conclusion, is this a top of the line phone? No, if you want that then you will get a contract with a big carrier, and you will pay alot for it. For me, and I suspect for most users out there, this phone does what I need it to do, and it does it well. If the Galaxy S3 is top of the line, and say a Droid Razr is runner up, then this one would place third. But I am factoring the cost into my evaluation, and the cost for a One V from VM is *much* less than those types of phones, and you get a platform that does pretty much the same stuff for the vast majority of users out there. And the monthly bill is far easier to swallow. Even if you get the $55/month unlimited everything plan and add the $5 insurance (worth it IMO) it's still far less than you will be paying on any smartphone contract. As an example, our 2 smartphone contract with the old carrier with 700 minutes cost us just under $200/month, while 3 smartphones with VM with 1800 minutes total cost us $120/month. More phones + more minutes + lower monthly cost = Win every day of the week.

And one of the best things: you are not stuck with this phone. Phones become obsolete quickly, generally long before the 2 years is up on contract. About a year into the contract you're sitting there fiddling with your phone looking at the cool new stuff everyone is playing with and thinking "Oh great, I'm stuck with this thing for another year...". You have no easy ability to upgrade; you either pay a huge penalty to do so or you are just stuck with what you have, which will certainly be obsolete after the first year. With these you can just toss the phone and upgrade easily any time you want, and the new phones aren't that expensive. That is probably my favorite feature of all.

So if you are in the market for a decent no-contract phone and don't need the bells and whistles of the Evo or want it's size and bulk, this is a fantastic choice. The phone itself is not a 5 star phone, I'd give it 3.5-4 stars in today's environment - but realistically that is perfectly fine for 95% of the users out there. Most people do not actually need the uber-cool hardware of the latest release, they just need something that works, and this one does. Factoring in the cost and the flexibility of going off-contract is what gets it to 5 stars. And if you are looking at the Optimus Elite I'd recommend considering the One V; it's worth the extra $50. The OE is a nice little phone and worth its price, but this one is better; my wife is already bugging me to get her one...

Oh, and BTW - Otterbox already has a case out for these, and it is great. Amazon has them, too.

UPDATE: So, been running this phone for a few weeks now, and I am still liking it alot. A few comments:

Battery: most Android phones take a week or two to learn the user's patterns and optimize themselves, and this one is no exception. During the first week or so I had some days where it almost died on me, but now it knows me and is sipping juice. It's not abnormal for me to get home with close to 50% battery left now, which is quite good, I think. The inability to remove the battery will not be an issue, as by the time this battery goes bad (they all do eventually) this phone will be obsolete and it will be time to replace it anyway. Tough it out through those first couple of weeks and you won't be disappointed in this battery.

OS: ICS is running very smooth. I had a couple of FCs at first but as with the battery, it smoothed itself out and is running nearly to perfection now. App compatibility is still phenomenal for a relatively new phone.

Cell signal: During the first week I had 3-4 instances where the phone lost 3G signal, but I don't fault it much as I was deep within a heavy metal structure building and buried under lots of concrete. It hasn't happened since, and when it did it found the signal again within a minute, so not exactly a big deal. I have since traveled across state (TX, a big one) and found cell reception / 3G to be quite good pretty much everywhere. I never noticed any areas where I couldn't get a signal. Running on Sprint's network I didn't expect any problems in this area, and haven't really found any; they have a very well developed network and their expansion is ongoing. Also, as more people move onto 4G networks it makes 3G easier to ride.

GPS: the GPS continues to impress me. It isn't always immediate as in my first review, but it is always fairly fast (generally less than 20 seconds for multiple satellite lock). It is most definitely a real GPS, too, and not just some AGPS tomfoolery. It works fine in Airplane Mode and where there is no cell signal... Just know that you will need preloaded maps or have one downloaded via Wifi for it to be of any use if you are going out of network (there are several good apps to do this with, I personally like MapDroyd and Backcountry Navigator Pro, respectively, for their given applications).

Camera: I am still liking the camera, too. When trying to snap photos of moving objects/people just hold the shutter button down until it's passed and then select the pic you want to keep - very handy function. The quality is not great, but not bad either. Perfectly acceptable for a phone camera. The only issue I have with the camera is the zoom - not very good there. But fine for anything close up.

The wife is bugging me every day now to get her one, don't think I'll be able to hold off much longer. Taken as a whole, this phone and the plan price tag is a fantastic value, and it does everything I need it to do. Still highly recommended.

Oh, and Trident now has a nice looking case out for these. They are generally on par with Otterbox and offer another alternative. Mine will continue to wear the Otterbox for now, as I am happy with it.

UPDATE 2: After uninstalling a few apps, I am now coming home with 60% battery or so. I NEVER came close to that with the X. I took off some widget apps and just run with the stock weather/clock widget (which is actually pretty good), took off Sonic 4 Ep 1 and the Alarm Clock app, and voila! One or more of those apps was running in the background; the phone also doesn't get hot anymore unless I am REALLY pushing it... It is smooth as silk now.

I can't say enough about this phone, or the fact that it only costs me $40 a month with insurance.

UPDATE 3: After a couple of months I finally broke down and got the wife one. Ordered a Trident case for it. Like I said in the earlier review, one of the great things about these no contract phones is you can upgrade anytime you want. So the wife upgrades from the Optimus Elite to the One V, and the kid gets to upgrade from an Optimus V to an Optimus Elite. Everyone wins.

And mine is still running great. It's probably the most problem-free smartphone I've seen so far. Still highly recommend it.

UPDATE 4: Quick status update, it's New Year's, 2013, and this phone is still going strong for both me and the wife. Still a great deal, especially at the prices it's been selling at lately. I bought it for twice what it's selling at now... I'd do it all over again at the original price. That is how happy I've been with the phone.

UPDATE 5: All good things must come to an end. One of the great things about the VM line is that it's easy to upgrade whenever you want to since you're not on contract. I tried out an EVO V 4G for awhile, and it's a decent phone, but I've finally found the sweet spot with the Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE. It is using Sprint's 4G LTE and it's simply a quantum leap forward. Price point is not bad at all either, and it's on sale right now for less than I paid for my One V...

The One V was a great phone, it did everything I needed and functioned well. But the future lies in 4G LTE networks. Jump on VM's next big ship and take a ride, you won't be disappointed.
4545 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 6, 2012
The phone feels sturdy thanks to an aluminum casing. The design is minimalistic and rather industrial looking (the bottom "lip" has a brushed aluminum texture) so it won't win any cuteness awards.

Both call quality and signal reception seem adequate. The sound quality when playing music is very good (especially with BeatsAudio enabled) although I find the volume to be a bit too high even on the lowest setting especially in a quiet environment. I've informed HTC of this and they will hopefully address it. I also like to ability to control the music player from a locked screen but just wish that the album art would be displayed in a larger size (like in the HTC Wildfire S). I've bugged HTC about this as well so here's to hoping!

Battery life also seems good. After a few hours of music playing and some app/web activity it was still past half full. I'm however skeptical of the "embedded" nature of the battery. And this is the main reason for just the 4 stars rating. This means that once the battery degrades (and they all do) you'll probably have to have HTC replace it or chuck the phone. However, chances are that by then you'll probably want to upgrade anyway.

If you're coming from Android 2.3.x (as most of users are) it will take a bit to get adjusted to Android 4.x. Most things are still where you'd expect them to be but subtle changes are throughout. Most notable the Search and Settings buttons are gone and instead there's a "Recent Apps" button which also acts as Settings button for apps. To search however you'll need to touch a screen widget.

I'm upgrading from a HTC Wildfire S so here are my thoughts relative to that.

1. Improved app storage space (900MB instead of 150MB) makes it easier to install apps without having to resort to tricks: App2SD, Link2SD or rooting the phone. I'm quite irked that spec list 4GB as the storage space but really 900MB are truly available to use. Also, unlike other phones it does not come with any microSD card but you can add one up to 32GB in size and have a lot of room for songs, pictures, videos.

2. Improved screen (800x480) is crisp and with good colors

3. True FM Radio is still there but again HTC's own radio widget does not work (use Spirit FM instead)

4. Processor speed is also improved (I can now stream Netflix and use Skype over WiFi without a problem)

All in all it's a good low-to-mid level smart phone that will work quite well for most users.
1919 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 13, 2012
So if you're reading this, it means you use Virgin Mobile, so you're my mind of person--savvy. Let's see if we can help each other out.

Android 4.0.3--This is a cool operating system, in that it runs smoothly and looks sleek, but coming from 2.2.1, I have to say that though the transitions and features look cooler, you're not missing much. Moreover, you know how you used to be able to hit a button on your Android 2.x phone and settings/options would come up, no matter what app you were running? This doesn't exist anymore. You can still get to settings on most apps, but it's a lot less intuitive and I don't think app developers have fully caught up yet. Also, the phone doesn't come preloaded with Swype, you have to download it and it eats up a little RAM. That said, if you like your apps (and who doesn't?), you're going to have to come on board the Ice Cream truck because it won't be long before developers stop making them for older systems.

HTC Sense--A few weeks ago, I bought an LG Optimus Slider on Virgin Mobile and couldn't take it anymore after less than a fortnight. Don't waste your time buying an LG. The Motorola Triumph competes in this price range, but I've never used it, and it's still on Android 2.2.

5.0 Camera--You know how your friends with iPhones take pictures that make your phone's pictures look like children's sketches? The gap is smaller now, but not by a lot.

Beats Audio--Ever the cynic, I have to admit that Beats Audio is an actual thing! It's not just slapped on the phone to piggy-back off a successful line. The phone's speaker produces good audio, the volume gets loud (much louder than my LG Optimus Slider) and it actually seems to make the quality of sound coming out of my headphones better. Two thumbs up, Dr. Dre!

Battery Life--With JuiceDefender (if you don't have it, get it) enabled at the balanced profile, the phone lasts about one day, one night. Keep in mind that I don't game or use it very heavily.

RAM--The RAM was actually sort of a let down. It's advertised as 500 MB, but seems to only use around 362 MB. For me the phone was lagging a bit until I decided to quit Talkatone when I wasn't using it. Now it runs fine. But if you plan on gaming a lot, you should probably (definitely!) get a different phone.

Left-side note: Without afore-mentioned ultra-useful dedicated-settings key, there is no way for me to quit Talkatone without manually doing so through settings, a mild pain in the yash.

Right-side note: Talkatone is a program that lets you call people through a free Google voice number for free WITHOUT eating up your 300 minutes/month. It does eat up some bandwidth, but you can always run it on WIFI and save your monthly 3G quota. You should get it.

Also, the phone doesn't come with a memory card, which sort of seems like a reminder to us pre-paid phone users that we're somehow second-class citizens.

Lastly, please use this Kickback code upon activation so you and I can get 60 free minutes: EC6O4VDG. Cheers!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 22, 2012
My first cellphone company was cricket, who in my mind was an "ok" provider. I really did not want to pay 130 dollars a month for a fancy phone I don't use often so this company seemed like a good idea.
I got a new phone with cricket, my first smartphone ever, and it was awesome (again it was my first smartphone) I noticed, I only got 1 or 2 bars anywhere I went. When I called, they said I had to basically pay for a new phone... that wasn't happening. So after some researching, I found virgin mobile and their phones.
I really liked the reviews on this phone so I gave it a try.
Two months later and this is an awesome phone. It has yet to freeze up on me in the slightest way, the battery life is amazing. I'm a manager at a pizza chain, so I'm constantly making calls to drivers, customers, ect. And this phone can last the whole day.
I'm 19 so playing around on the internet is somewhat common (haha) , I can watch videos, download, upload, go on facebook in spare time, I can safely say 3G with this phone is another strong point.

Now my main problem with the other phone, reception.... I get six bars constantly with Virgin Mobile, I never have trouble calling people or sending/receiving texts.

I'm not a big camera user, but when I do take a picture the flash is a tad to bright at times. Other than that I see no issue.

Ive always had physical keyboards, so the switch to a touchscreen was difficult, but you'll get use to it after a couple days.

All in all, for $200 this cannot be beat, you get better service than other pre-paid providers, and you get a better phone than what other providers give you. Its a win-win.
on July 25, 2012
I bought and received this phone three days ago as an upgrade from an engineering version of the very first droid (running eclair) and I have to say I am very happy with my choice.

POSITIVES:
Ice Cream Sandwich is a great version of android, and it runs really nicely on this phone. There are literally no apps I've run into that I cant download, so that's a plus (coming from eclair especially!)
The phone itself is a really great design - extremely slim with nothing sticking out except the chin piece, which is actually a great addition as it allows you to have a better grip on your phone. This phone is honestly as beautiful as the iphone (I absolutely love apple products, so that's saying a lot).
The keyboard is FANTASTIC. I had such trouble with my old phone's keyboard - after 4 months of use I still was messing up letters. This one I got within the first five minutes of use!
This phone also has five customizable home screens, which is honestly the perfect amount. With any more, I think I would be overwhelmed.
I really enjoy that android has the option to put widgets on the homescreens, whereas apple does not have that feature on their iphone.
As far as price goes, this was an incredibly great phone for the money.
I'm extremely pleased!

NEGATIVES:
You can't get to the battery yourself, so that's kind of annoying. No replacing it yourself when the time comes.
I wish there was a dedicated camera button on the side of the phone, but that's not a huge deal as the lack of it adds to the overall flow of the phone design.
I also wish there was a front camera to skype with, but it's not a huge deal. If you really want that, you can pay $100 extra and get the Evo V. But the lack of that feature wasn't worth the strain on my wallet!
The one thing that I have noticed is that the screen does lag when you're opening and navigating through apps, especially when you have lots open. But that's to be expected, as its processor and RAM aren't the best on the market. With that said, you just need a little patience and you'll be fine.

CONCLUSION:
I did a lot of research before I bought this phone, especially between this phone and the HTC Evo V. For $100 less, I got a phone that I'm extremely pleased with and will definitely be keeping around!
While I would have bought the iPhone had it not been out of price range, I honestly am so pleased with this phone that even if I have the opportunity to purchase the iphone in the next couple years, I honestly don't know that i would because this phone is so great.
on August 7, 2012
I upgraded from the old LG optimus v, which was 120 dollars and this 200 dollar phones absolutely blows the optimus v out of the water. Everything on the phone flows smoothly and everything is easy to reach and fix to your liking's. The widgets, settings, apps are all so much easier to work with because of the android Ice Cream Sandwich although a few of my older apps on my optimus v keep crashing on this phone. The battery life is also almost twice as better as my old phone, and the pictures and video are just amazing. I also choose this phone over the HTC Evo and I have no regrets!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 13, 2012
Update 6/10/2013
This phone is just about useless now. It's constantly freezing up, GPS will appear turned on but none of the navigation apps recognize it for several minutes, the keyboard crashes often, apps like Skype and Tweetcaster crash all the time, it will sometimes get stuck in a sleep mode/active mode loop when I press the power button and all the same things happen to my wife's phone as well.

I installed Auto Memory Manager, removed a third of the apps I had, swapped in a new SD card and none of those seem to help the phone. I end up having to reload the thing about every 60-90 days just to get a week of decent use out of it.

The phone was fine for about a 6-9 month period, but its just about unusable now. I'm not happy that I paid $200 for a phone that didn't last a full year. I hope Virgin gets the S3 in the next few months so I can switch to something better.

Update: 11/23/2012
About two weeks ago, a software push fixed the battery indicator issue. I wanted to test it out to be sure, but the battery indicator does charge fully now and gives an accurate read.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My wife and I both bought this phone with Virgin Mobile. We had HTV Evo's before this and loved them. Obviously, the One V isn't as powerful, but we were ok with that for the money saved on the phone plan.

Pros:
-The Price
-The phone is easy to use, its a fairly standard Android set up.
-The phone calls have all been clear and everyone says they can hear me great.
-The beats audio makes for some crisp audio coming from the phone.

But there have been several issues both my wife and I experienced.

-After a few days the battery would only appear to charge to 67% and would say "Discharging" for the status. We found that we still get about a full days worth of battery life (about 7-9 hours). If you restore the phone to factory defaults, it'll work for another few days and do the same thing.I've read about this happening to other Android phones and tablets and all have been fixed with software updates.

-Apps will seemingly uninstall themselves. This usually happens after rebooting the phone. The shortcut still appears on the screen, but the application is completely gone. You have to go to the Google Play store and re-download them.

-The keyboard can be terrible. It's sluggish and will often freeze for a few seconds at a time. It also seems to be out of calibration a lot. I'm constantly having to re-calibrate.

-The predicative text is also terrible. Certain words really annoy me, like when you're trying to type "and" and mess up, the phone autocorrects to "AMD." I can't imagine more people are talking about processors than using the most used conjunction. I ended up turning this off.

-Even with Wifi enabled, browsing the internet can be a bit slow. Things like YouTube buffer every 5 or so seconds.

-The phone gets fairly hot after about 5-10 minutes of use.

Overall this is a great bargain phone and most of the issues I have can probably be fixed with software updates. I just hope that we get fixes.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 15, 2012
I was worried when I saw all the reviews about the battery and how it wouldn't fully charge. When I got it, the first day I allowed it to charge over night and I was bummed to find out that the battery didnt fully charge. But luckily just two days after recieving the phone I got an update notification that HTC had a software update so that the battery would fully charge. The next day it was 100%. As far as battery life, I think its very good. On my optimus v I would use up the battery before the end of the day but with the htc one v, I am able to get about 1.5 days out of the battery. And I am not one to use my phone lightly, I usually am texting, on apps, or on the phone. It has never frozen on me and it has never turned off suddenly. The camera is pretty amazing compared to many other prepaid phones' cameras. I'm not planning on going into detail, I just wanted to clear up about the battery problem and that the phone overall is very good. Probably one of my favorite prepaid phones.
on September 9, 2012
Just for a bit of perspective, I've owned and used nothing but an iPhone (3G, 4, 4S) for my last few contract cycles; and they were great phones... but so is the HTC One V; and for 1/3 the cost.

Chances are if you're looking into purchasing this phone (or any new cell phone), it's not because of your need to change handsets, but your need/want to change CARRIERS. I feel for you; but as this is a review of the phone itself, I'll attempt to leave any carrier/service references to a minimum.

Two things caught my attention about the One V right off the bat: 1. Unlike most other Android phones it is not a 30lb death-brick that you must lug around in your pocket (forcing you to tighten your belt just keep your pants up), and 2. for what you get, the price is very very good.

The One-Series by HTC is their current "in" thing; and the One V is basically the little brother to the other phones in that series. With that being said, it has a few surprises up its sleave. The build quality of One V is extremely good. The back of the phone and the lower portion of the phone's front are actually metal, not plastic; this creates a phone surface that is very resistant to scratches, dings, and damage all-together. And the screen, from what I've read, is that new-fangled Gorilla Glass; or something similar and just as durable. All-in-all the phone's exterior is above-average for handsets in this price range.

Internally, too, it doesn't disappoint. The on-board Android version is 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich), and the phone's processor handles it quite well. The UI that comes standard is a dialed-back version of HTC Sense; a few less fancy animations and 5 (rather than 7) Home Screens for you to customize. This version of HTC Sense may seem less flashy, but keeps the phone running smoothly without issue.

And that, actually, transitions nicely into the only significant drawback to the One V: the processor power. The One V has a rather low-key processor; something in the area of a single-core 1GHz model. It gets the job done, but noticably struggles sometimes with the more-demanding apps.

The bottom line here is that the One V is a solidly-built phone for the everyday user. It lacks some of the "bells and whistles" that some power-users may desire, but this phone was not built for insane X-Box style graphics running simultaneously with 5 open internet sessions of Facebook full-site version. It is first-and-foremost a communication, internet, and audio-centered handset (Beats Audio, IMAP and Exchange mail built-in, good reception, etc.). And paired with Virgin's Unlimited Data and Unlimited Text plans, it becomes a very powerful tool for the everyday user; a tool that, because of the hardware quality, will last that user a very long time.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've fallen in love with this phone after a couple of hours of setting it up and playing with it. I bought it for my father who is ready to get rid of his old basic flip phone. I'm very familiar with Android since I've had a Samsung Epic 4G on Sprint for 2 years, yet I can't help but like the HTC Sense interface as well as the Android 4.0 operating system, known as Ice Cream Sandwich, which is intuitive and easy to use. It's also very quick and snappy with the 1 GHz CPU. As for the physical quality, I love the aluminum unibody design. It feels sturdy and high quality. The texture isn't too slippery and I'll be trying out a couple of cases to see how they feel. The screen is nice and bright and looks very crisp.

The main gripe I have with the phone is that it was designed with a sealed battery, meaning it's not meant to be user replaceable. It is possible to replace it with a little bit of work, but if I wasn't familiar with opening electronics and soldering I'd be out of luck. It's easy enough to remove the bottom cover to access the microSD port and the speaker, though. Another gripe I have, which I know can be fixed with some hacking (rooting, custom ROM, etc) is that the battery icon does not show numbers for the percentage of battery life remaining, it only shows the battery icon "draining" as the battery life decreases.

Overall I'm very happy with the phone and I'm sure once my father adjusts to Android he will be happy with it too.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations