on May 7, 2013
I bought this for the .01 cent penny price phone deal when my upgrade was available. This phone has everything I need. The camera is not as competitive as the 8 megapixel and higher versions you'll see on the iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy S IV, but this 5.0 megapixel camera does it for me. HTC's software helps to mitigate the megapixel difference too--the shutter speed is exceptionally fast for a smartphone and it has a great built in photo editing program. If you're looking to take high definition and professional quality photos then this isn't the phone for you--really if you want that then spend the money on a DSLR camera--but if you want something that takes great pictures to be uploaded and shared with your friends on social media sites or via email, then this is the phone for you.

It doesn't run the newest version of Android but it is one of the most recent versions. It is compatible with the thousands of apps on the market place and it is worth the .01 cent you'll spend on it. Not to mention it is lightning fast and I never have any hardware issues with the phone. It is quick and responsive and also has a great built in wifi adapter that is much faster than my old smartphone's wifi adapter.

I also highly recommend the OtterBox commuter for the HTC One VX (You can get it on Amazon new for $35) The phone is so light I wanted to add some weight and protection to it. The OtterBox did both.

Overall, this phone is essentially free if your upgrade is up and this phone is the best of all of the free phones. Phone plans are already expensive enough per month so I couldn't justify spending another $200 on a phone that I can spend $.01 and get the exact same results.
on February 11, 2013
best phone i have tried i had used samasung befor and and was looking at the iphone but this is a much better phone over all it beats both hands down runs all my apps never slows down and the pitchures and videos are great.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 19, 2013
I recently got this phone in the mail, and as an iphone user for years and also the owner of an android tablet, I really love this product! It is very quick, has a great feel, light, and very customizable (more than other smart phones I've seen). The screen looks great too. I haven't had it long enough to say whether or not the battery life is good or not, but I can't imagine it being too different from most smart phones in terms of usage.

Also uses a newer version of Android OS, can sync apps from android accounts, has expandable memory, and a pretty nice looking camera.
on May 2, 2013
First, let me say I have had the iPhone 4 for about a year and decided to try and Android. Between the two phones, I simply enjoy using the HTC more.

Durability: for sure, the iPhone is a more rugged phone. The one vx does not have the metal casing the iPhone uses, but that can be remedied with a case

Use: The larger screen is a plus for me. The apps and such take a bit of getting used to for an apple user, but in reality it is not that much different.

I put the phone on rapid start up and it does just that. Loads faster than it shuts down. Sending text messages has a slightly different appearance than the iPhone, but simple to do.

Software: Far from being a tech guru, I can only say that the HTC seems faster on some things than the iPhone. I really can not tell a lot of difference between IOS and Android Ice Cream systems.

Bottom Line: The HTC is fun to use, and for the price, a great little phone. If you want all the bells and whistles, then the newer Samsung Galaxy or latest iPhone may be what you are looking for.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon May 19, 2013
Is HTC on the verge a splashing comeback? HTC reminds me of Apple in mid 90s when they were struggling. People had ruled out HTC but they have come back with a bang! I upgraded one of my family phones to HTC One. I have a Galaxy Note 2, and recently used S4 for an extensive period. So at places I may compare with what I have experienced.

HTC One build is excellent, smartphone design absolutely amazing, and a delight to hold. Aluminum is used for the backplate and sides, making it an all-aluminum body. It certainly feels better than Samsung phones in some areas. The ergonomics and looks of HTC One are stunning. The screen size is certainly smaller than Note 2 and even S4.

4.7 in screen with a resolution of 1,920 by 1,080 pixels. Full HD 469 ppi (Corning Gorilla Glass 2, Gorilla Glass is the alkali-aluminosilicate sheet toughened glass manufactured by glassmaker Corning. Version 2 of Glass was introduced in 2012). The phone is thin and light. I highly recommend you to try it at a nearby store. Reading reviews do no justice to the phone; once you experience it, you will drool. I am happy there is a stiff competition between phone vendors. I don't have attachment to any one vendor. I am open to trying all vendors.

HTC One runs Jellybean Android 4.1.2, using HTC's Sense user interface, not sure if it will be upgradeable to version 5.0 "Key Lime Pie". We may see 4.2.2, or 4.3 version of JellyBean rumored for Google I/O in May 15-17 2013, just a week away as I write this review.

Key Notes:
* Quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 processor running at 1.7GHz with 2GB of RAM
* 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac support future proof for now. Note the support of "ac"
* GPS, NFC, gyro, accelerometer, proximity, ambient light
AWESOME speakers. Per HTC, stereo speakers come with amplifiers, and Beats Audio technology for deeper bass. HTC one also has 2 microphones for reducing noise.
* Camera is awesome; don't let the 4 MP fool you. It is the old photographer's adage. It is the not the megapixel, it's the sensor that matters! This camera is very light sensitive, and I was able to get great photos in low light situations.
* micro-USB port for battery charging supports MHL, so if you buy an adapter you can use HDMI. Lot of people are not aware of MHL and not widely popularized. Basically you can make your smartphone into a giant computer. Connect smartphones to HDMI monitors or HDTVs, use Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and control smartphone. Per Wikipedia "Mobile High-Definition Link (MHL) is an industry standard for a mobile audio/video interface that allows consumers to connect mobile phones, tablets and other portable consumer electronics (CE) devices to high-definition televisions (HDTVs) and audio receivers. The MHL standard supports up to 1080p/60 high-definition (HD) video and 7.1 surround sound audio while simultaneously charging the connected device." DLNA Support is also included. These are awesome features indeed, and not noted much.
* Just like the Samsung Galaxy feature, HTC One also works as an infrared sensor for controlling the consumer devices

Some cons:
* 32 GB/64 GB models , but Lack of microSD card support may come as an issue for some
* Battery cannot be removed (Li-Po 2300 mAh battery)
* microSIM card is released by punching a paper clip. Just like iphones. As battery is not removable, this design is adopted by HTC
* To Note: unlike international version, the Chinese models feature a removable back cover, featuring a Micro SD slot for storage expansion and dual SIM card slots. Dual SIMs are very popular in Asia not in US.
* Crapware/Bloatware. Why do the phone manufacturers think they are adding value by adding software like Blinkfeed which cannot be removed. HTC advertises as a feature, I view it as a nuisance. There are no alternatives except vanilla Google Nexus phones. ASUS adds its own extra software, Samsung has its own. I feel they at least make provisions to remove these crapware. Remember windows PC in late 90s loaded with all kinds of stuffs which no one ever used

I have tried following apps from my Play library and they just worked awesome.
Amazon Mobile
Android Status
Amazon Kindle (very sharp for quick reading, I use black background white text)
Androidify
Angry Birds (Space/Seasons)
Asphalt 7
Amazon App Store
Box
Car Maintenance Reminder Pro
Chrome
CNET TV
NAVIGON (from Garmin - offline maps), was AWESOME!
Google Navigation/Earth/Maps
Google Currents (nice way to read News)
Draw Something
Google Drive
Ebay
Linkedin
Google Music (I have over 10,000 songs/podcasts) and it is free!
Tapatalk (awesome forum browsing app)
OverDrive Media Console: Library eBooks & Audiobooks (public library consumption of media)
Microsoft One Note (legacy docs, skydrive of 25 GB is good)
Subsonic Music Streamer
Terminal Emulator (still need to use vi, yes this is it)
TweetCaster Pro for Android (excellent twitter client)
Twit.Tv
Google Voice
Plenty of Widgets - BatteryPro, SwitchPro

Please ask questions. I like when people ask questions as I get more chance to review and poke into! I will be glad to answer any questions.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 18, 2015
The first one I got experienced problems with the GPS, and the system crashed a few times, so I had a warranty replacement after about nine months. The second one worked very well, and even survived a drop into a swimming pool -- it came back to life after being buried for several days in a bag of rice. I would have given it six stars had it not been for the glitches of the first phone.
on July 19, 2013
this phone runs Android Ice Cream Sandwich but upgrade to jelly bean decent speed in the processor a little slow on now and then great screen resolution everything runs pretty smooth really good battery life the sense 4 from HTC kind of okay hopefully upgrade to since five soon but all around great Android phone especially considering its only 50 bucks with the contract upgrade or on Amazon for a pennyif you're wanting to give Androidtry not a bad phone start out with I've had several Android phones and I love them all Android is a great OSthe only downside to this phone is the camera is only 5 megapixels does pretty decent pictures really good video Just low light pictures are kind of grainy
on October 17, 2013
This phone was bought to replace my iPhone that I shattered. I've heard great things about HTC phones so I jumped on the droid wagon. The first problem I had with the phone was that the clock wouldn't update. At one point it was more than ten minutes behind. Restarting the phone set it back to the right time so I figured I should just restart it every now and then-- not a big deal. Then I started realizing that this phone takes AT LEAST 6 hours to full charge. I've always gotten into the habit of letting my battery get as low as I can possibly tolerate... usually once it gets into the yellow and I have at times let it completely run out. However, I've never had a phone take this long to charge! Another HUGE problem with it is the camera. I was in the pit at a concert, about 6 feet from the artist, trying to take pictures and they are unrecognizable. My roommate has a windows phone and her pictures came out perfect! The only good thing about this phone s the audio-- even though the 8gb doesn't hold nearly as many songs as the iPhone 8gb-- I had to pick and choose my songs. I would never recommend this phone and cannot wait to have an upgrade!
on October 3, 2014
works great and very nice look
on November 20, 2013
Great phone! I ordered the same phone for my mother and paid full price earlier this year. My son loved the phone, so I purchased it for $0.01 through Amazon whereas ATT was selling the same model for $100! WOW what a savings! This is a new phone and works great with the new sim card.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations