on December 27, 2011
I decided to go with a Windows Phone about a month ago, so I purchased the Radar 4G. I have to say I'm really impressed with the phone, the interface is smooth and super responsive, and I have found that I can do anything I want to do with this as with my previous phones (I had a Blackberry and an iPhone).

The Radar has become my main phone now and I don't regret anything about it. The MS Office integration is excellent with a great functionality. Also the marketplace has lots of apps and is rapidly growing.

I have to say that the Windows Phone interface is really great! Try it and you'll love it. The integration of the social features in one single hub is excellent and I was already bored of the iOS look (which looks the same as the Android). It's really easy to get used to it and you'll find you can do a lot without having to install any single app.

Now about the Radar 4G. The 1Ghz processor gives you a great and smooth experience that has nothing to envy to the iPhone (it happened to me with Android phones that weren't very responsive). The camera takes really nice pictures even in low light situations but it's still not a camera replacement (for that look into the HTC Titan or the Nokia Lumia). Reception is very good and battery lasts for more than a day on HEAVY use.

Give it a go, you won't regret it. I believe that right now this is the BEST phone you can get for that price out there.
on February 2, 2012
I don't need to get into the ins and outs of Windows Phone 7.5. Everyone has their opinion of the OS. To me, the OS is great. I am a Windows Phone 7.5 fanatic.

Most reviews from the major tech website generally praise the Radar 4G for durable construction, the feel of quality materials and generally good battery life. The screen is acceptable too. It is a generally fantastic phone.

However, having used the phone heavily for the last few weeks, I have found some negatives about this phone that were not mentioned in any of the numerous tech and user reviews I have read. These are absolutely horrible sound quality through the headphone jack at higher volume levels and poor wi-fi connectivity range.

NOTE: I have updated this review, and have removed my complaints of poor sound quality. If you are having problems with popping noises, or distortion, go to settings->sound enhancer-> and disable the sound enhancements. The default settings boost volume and bass that cause weird issues with powered speakers/headphones.

The other negative about this phone, is how poor the wireless network range is. My home network is through a Actionec Q1000 802.11n router. The HTC Radar 4G struggles to maintain signal beyond 15 feet. By 15 feet, I am struggling to maintain 1 signal bar of strength. Very disappointing.
on June 13, 2012
I love this little phone! It's just about perfect. I've had it since December, so six months.

Pros:
-Amazing and responsive screen
-Great interface
-Easy to learn, understand, and use
-Good sound quality on phone calls and music
-I like the Windows Phone experience
-It's very pretty! (hey, that's important!)
-The available apps are well-designed and useful (I recommend mixtapes, Speed, Photosynth and Stop the Music)
-The phone has held up very well to many drops and bumps. (Dent in the top corner, bent the metal frame, lots of scratches and smaller dents. NOT because the phone is delicate, but because I frequently drop it on pavement, tile and cement. The glass has not cracked or chipped at all.)
-Camera is pretty good, good enough for day-to-day use.

Cons:
-The metal case is SLIPPERY. I frequently drop mine, though I'm a klutz already. I'm about to buy a gel case on Amazon to help it bounce back a little. I love this phone too much to break it yet!
-Microsoft is verrrry far behind in the app department. I really, really wish there were more apps.

All in all I say it is a great alternative to an Android phone, and a "good enough" competitor to an iphone. The *only* difference in my mind between this phone and an iphone is the app selection.
on April 18, 2012
I love this little guy. It is an amazing phone, fast and easy to use. The lack of Apps can be a downside at times. But they still have a healthy amount to offer and their marketplace keeps growing. I cant wait for new Apollo update and get skype integration to put the front facing camera in use
on February 16, 2012
I was rather forced to purchase this phone after my beloved HTC HD7 gave up on me, and I simply can't be without a phone period. I'm a college student, work part time and need GPS living in Miami. Since my HD7 was also WP 7, I already knew my way around. I was slightly disappointed on the slightly smaller screen and no kick-stand like the HD7, but no biggie. 8GB of memory is enough for me, since I only use it during my workout. The Gorilla Glass is FANTASTIC and unreal. I also prefer that the battery is non replaceable, I find it annoying when I have to get to my SIM card and the battery is in my way. Front-facing camera is pretty legit, but useless until Skype comes out for WP7. Only other gripe is the charger connects to the side as opposed to the bottom. Not a big deal, just slightly annoying. All in all, a solid phone and Windows OS will only get better.
on December 29, 2011
Very stable phone. Have never had to reboot in the two months I have owned the phone. Fun to use and very responsive. Feels sturdy. 4g is very fast compared to my old 3g phone. Downloads and web browsing are quick. Love the OS and still discovering new features every day. The phone only has 4Gb of storage which is adequate for me but it also includes free Skydrive cloud storage if you find yourself needing more. There is no digital compass if that is important to you. Otherwise I give it 5 stars and highly recommend giving it a try.
on September 14, 2012
The manual makes no mention of custom ringtones, so let me first provide this most useful info:

This process works for me - I'm sure there are other methods that work, but the write-ups I found on the net are absurdly long and absurdly convoluted.

requirements for an audio file to be a ringtone:

Format must be mp3 or wma
Size must be under 1 mg
Playing time must be under 40 seconds
Genre must be "ringtone"

Instructions:

1) You'll need to have on your computer a program or programs which allows you to shorten an audio file and change its bitrate. There are many programs that do this, and many are free. I use "Power Audio Cutter."

2) If this is your first time making ringtones, create a folder called "Ringtones" inside your Zune synch folder.

3) Identify an mp3 or wma on your computer that you wish to convert into a ringtone.

4) Create a version of that file which is 39 seconds long. You might also need to reduce bitrate, which might be needed to make the ringtone file under 1 mg. You might have to experiment with bitrates, in order to get as close to 1 mg as possible without going over.

5) Save/move the created file into your ringtones folder.

6) Right-click on the file, properties, then click on "Details" tab. Change genre to Ringtone. With Windows 7, just start typing ringtone, and that genre pops up automatically.

7) Sync to your phone.

8) Go to ringtones on your phone, and you'll see that your custom ringtones are at the top of the list.
Select your new ringtone, and that's it!

This phone is:

fast
intuitive
elegant interface
elegant on the outside too

I previously had a Motorola (android), and this is SO much better! The sleek interface is light years beyond any other phone I've ever used, including iphone!

Only negative so far, is that there's no quick/simple way to designate a song to be a ringtone. But see my instructions above for creating custom ringtones. Also note that the phone's memory is only 8gb, which is fine for me, but might not be enough for some folks.

Regarding apps, I'm not much into apps, so there's more than enough for me. Certainly all basic apps are available. How many apps does a person need? Personally, I don't have time for games. If you're concerned about app availability, look at the website for Windows Phone Store before purchasing.

Copying existing music and pictures from a computer onto this phone is easy.

I'm really shocked at how great this phone is, and also shocked that Windows Phones aren't more popular.
on September 4, 2012
I've had this phone for almost a year now. I bought it to replace a much higher-powered Android phone (the T-Mobile G2x).

Maybe I'm just too used to Apple's way of doing things, but Android seemed a bit too pieced-together and Linux-like for me. I wanted something that was well-designed and actually felt like a piece of art. Surprisingly enough, Microsoft seems to have gotten this right and has been doing a better job of designing an OS that is meant to be dead simple yet very fluid and elegant.

Enter the Radar 4G. This phone is actually pretty cool. I bought this phone with high hopes, and it hasn't disappointed. Let me go through some of the key points:

1) It's not too big, it's not too small, and it has gentle curves that just make it look elegant. Furthermore, there aren't any huge buttons, and the few buttons it does have are well-placed. I also like the capacitative Windows, back, and search buttons-- it makes it look almost like they're just part of the casing.

2) The battery is very long-lasting. I can run this thing for upwards of over two days before it dies. Plus, it doesn't take long to charge, maybe two hours from dead to full charge.

3) It has dual cameras, which are good, but not great. They give about the same quality of photos that you would expect from a cell phone. Don't expect this to replace a dedicated digital camera.

4) The biggest point-- it runs one of the most beautiful, well-designed mobile operating systems around today! I honestly have shown my phone to iPhone 4S users who thought my phone seemed pretty cool. The live tiles make it have automatic updates like an Android phone, but without the lag and bugginess of Android. Plus, it's smooth and has amazing art/photos in the password screen and search screen. It just looks cool! The biggest downside, though-- not nearly enough apps. Windows Marketplace doesn't even have a tenth of the apps that Android or iPhone has, which can be a big downer, but it does have most of the important apps I use anyway. But if you want to know more about Windows Phone 7, take a look at YouTube and watch some of the demonstration videos-- you'll be impressed!

So, I give this phone great marks. The only problem with buying this phone today is that Windows Phone 8 is about to come out, and from what I've heard, it won't be compatible with the Radar. So, if you're thinking about buying this phone, decide now if you're willing to wait on getting a Windows 8 phone. If so, then buy it! You won't regret it!
on July 2, 2012
To start, I love this phone so much that I didn't even buy it off of amazon. First off, amazingly fast, both with internet and the phone itself. I have so many different accounts that I just bound together with this phone, phone contacts were linked to xbox live and facebook, and calendars sync very efficiently. I also was able to take music from my computer fairly easily. The only two problems that I have with the phone are that games and apps, although they are reliable and exceptional, there are not a lot of them, also to put music on it, you need to download zune, a free program from microsoft, but after that, it is easy to sync music, videos, and photos.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 17, 2012
This is by far the best Phone I've had. Recently went through 3 Samsung Galaxy S II's, which constantly had issues. No issues with the Windows Radar phone, and just a way better overall user experience.

Legally obligated to tell you I do work for Microsoft, but it doesn't matter here. This is flat out a great phone. Try it yourself.

See 1 answered question