5.0 out of 5 stars State of the art
I don't know which is more impressive, the hTC Rezound or Verizon's 4G LTE network. I switched from the hTC EVO 4G on Sprint to this phone and the difference couldn't possibly be more dramatic.

Display:
Physically, the phones are a similar size. These large format smartphones take some getting used to, from carrying them in your pocket to the fine art of...
Published on November 23, 2011 by Sam P

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, Bad Battery
*Once a 4.5 star review, then down to 3.5. Now this review has been rewritten with one conclusion: DON'T EVEN BOTHER!*

TESTS:
------
This review used to contain a breakdown of two test scenarios (from 100% battery down to 10%) conducted and repeated within the first 30 days of using this phone. The results were good and acceptable for most people,...
Published on December 12, 2011 by L. Mills

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing phone, just needs a battery, December 6, 2011
This review is from: HTC Rezound 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
This phone is a powerful and amazing phone with few shortcomings. It's blazingly fast running applications and rarely stutters, even with the massive amount of overhead caused by HTC's skin (Sense) and Verizon's bloatware.

It's display is brilliant. A true 720p display, comparable to what you'll find on many plasma TVs and small LCD TVs. It's very bright, viewable even in sunlight.

Unfortunately, it's greatest asset appears to be the cause of its downfall. The display absolutely obliterates the battery. When reading Google Reader or using lightweight applications, the phone becomes warm in my hand after a few minutes of casual reading from the display draining the battery so fast. In five hours of moderate use (reading RSS feeds, sending a text message per hour), half the battery was gone. The biggest offender? Over half of the battery drain was from the display.

Sound quality on phone calls has been inconsistent. At times, it is crystal clear. At other times (with decent signal) it sounds as though the speaker is blown. Audio through the included headphones is distorted and a buzz comes when plugging the phone into the audio input in my car before audio starts playing.

The battery life is poor enough I am considering returning the phone. I can deal with the audio issues, but the battery is bad enough I will need to carry a spare battery to feel safe.

The amazing performance and amazing display are almost enough to tip me in favor of keeping the phone. We'll see what the Galaxy Nexus looks like on VZW...

5.0 out of 5 stars Quit looking at this and BUY IT!, November 28, 2011
Phone Rocks. PERIOD. Manage your power usage and the phone's battery will last all day. The screen is amazing (compared to ALL other phones). The camera is awesome. Sense 3.5 is visually stunning. If your scared that "HTC SENSE SLOWS DOWN YOUR PHONE"... give me a break its a 1.5Ghz Dual Core Processor. The headphones that come with it rock and have an in-line mic for "headset" applications. Love this phone. I waited for the galaxy nexus (as you probably are reading this) and I was afraid I would be disappointed. This phone is great. Love the size (other say bulky, I say perfect). They do make an extended battery for this phone if you feel it is necessary. Do the research but this phone is awesome.

The Engadget review was great (if you ask me) and helped me make my decision.

SEE HERE - [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Rezound Stuck in Boot Loop? Here's a fix, January 2, 2012
Cory McEntee (Fairfax, VA United States) - See all my reviews
The phone is great, fast, the camera is awesome. It was a huge upgrade over my DInc that I love(d).

I noticed after the 2nd day with it that I wasn't connecting to 4G, only 3G. There were a couple other oddities too (weather wasn't updating, etc) - so I decided to reboot... and it continued to reboot itself for the next 20 minutes until I took out the battery and did some research online.

It seems that the phone's internal settings for which network to connect aren't quite correct and causes a clash with the 4G SIM card. From the many posts in multiple forums it appears to be a pretty common.

Here's the steps I took to correct my phone:

Take out battery
Remove SIM card
Boot phone
From the dialer press *#*#4636#*#* to get into the phones sub menu
From there select Phone Information
Set the network to CDMAEVDO/LTE - Auto

I found this information here:
[...]

Now my phone is humming along. I could not be happier with my rezound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this phone : Ex iphone 4 user, December 29, 2011
I switched to this phone from an iphone 4. Love this phone its easy to use has great features, sound, screen ect ... Could have a bit better of battery life but if it becomes an issue for you, you can always buy and extended batter for it. I don't find this phone bulky at all it fits in your had nicely and has a great camera for a cell phone. personally I would call the raza bulky because of its wideness even though its lighter(my hubby got that phone) but both are great phones. As for Verizon we switched to them from AT&T, we haven't really had any issues with Verizon service expect when they where having 4g lte issues. call quality has been great with this phone no issues with people hearing me or me hearing them.

2.0 out of 5 stars Battery is ridiculous...., August 3, 2012
I've now had the ReZound for 6 months, after having to abruptly turn in my Thunderbolt to Verizon (long story). The store I was in didn't have any Thunderbolts but the salesman assured me that I would love the ReZound and that the battery would far exceed the OEM extended battery on the T.B. That was just a flat-out lie. I immediately purchased an OEM extended battery for the RZ and still can't get through a workday with minimal use if the LTE or WiFi are turned on. Even without using the call functions -- text messaging alone drains the battery to nothing. To make matters worse, the phone is HUGE and HEAVY with the extended battery. I could cope with this if the extended battery actually got me through the day. BTW, the extended battery on the T.B. got me almost 2 days of use, so there is no excuse for the RZ chewing through a battery like it does. I have a battery saver app installed, the brightness set at about 50%, etc.

To be honest, I'm tired of getting locked into phones for 2 years only to find that I need an extended battery and still can't use the phone to its full operating potential (I shouldn't HAVE to dim the screen or turn off LTE or disable ANYTHING in order to have the phone limp through 3/4 of a work day!). It is time for these companies to step up and provide a battery that can support the phone.

And my last comment, don't tell me to root the phone. I am not a tech geek and shouldn't have to do anything to the OS after bringing it home in order to get the phone to work like it should. That's bullsh**. The battery shouldn't drain this fast and it shouldn't overheat like this one does. Period.

I also frequently have trouble with the 4G service but that is probably a Verizon issue rather than a RZ issue.

4.0 out of 5 stars In Love, January 4, 2012
Pro : I love this phone. I had a samsung continuum which I wanted to throw at the wall every day. Even though I've only had this phone for 3 days, I haven't had any problems with it. The battery life is what I expected it to be. I do use a lot of apps, but it's held up through out the day so far. Its bigger than my samsung, but still small enough to fit into my back pocket . This phone is lightning fast compared to the continuum.

Cons: I hate that it doesn't have the option to have everything on vibrate like ringtone and notifications. It'll only vibrate for ringtone, and put everything else on silent. I also tend to take a lot of pictures and I found this phone has no side button for camera so its kinda hard and awkward to take pictures trying to just touch the screen button. Other than those 2 problems, I love it and so glad I spent the money

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but certainly not perfect..., December 9, 2011
FYI, I was up for an upgrade. I really wanted the Droid Razr, being that my last (and first) smart phone was the original Moto Droid - which i loved. However, found a great deal (one of few available to current customers!!!) on the HTC Rezound: 50 bucks at one of the big box warehouse websites.

The Bad:

1) Let's start with the inherent problems with the Rezound. First and foremost, for me, are the flush buttons on the phone itself; used to control volume and turn the phone on. The buttons are not raised hardly at all and therefore are relatively difficult to use, which is highly irritating.
2) Battery Life: I get about 6 hours out of this phone on one charge (I do use my phone for streaming of music at work), much less than I did with my Moto Droid.
3) Ringtone and notification volume seems rather low even with volume setting on max.
4) The Rezound gets really hot when playing certain games!

The Good / Acceptable:

1) Processing power: The Rezound is pretty zippy, with a 1.5 GHz dual core processor you would expect that, however it has struggled at times with `heavy' apps such as Weather Bug Elite or Google Earth. I do not know if this is because of my connection at the time or the processor itself. Compared with the Razr, I find that the Rezound is a tad slower. Using the phone's built in task manager app, it is possible to see how much of the Rezound's available 817 MB of RAM (out of 1 GB total Ram) is being used. Even with all `killable' programs stopped, the Rezound is using more than half (493 MB) of its available RAM. This is probably due to HTC's power hungry Sense skin or UI (user interface), which works on top of and in conjunction with the Android operating system.

2) Which gets me to HTC's Sense. I put this UI in the acceptable category. I am getting used to it, but overall find it gimmicky and way too flashy. Sure its pretty, but too often it gets in the way of what you're trying to do. Motorola's UI is much more efficient and to the point. HTC should realize that more than just teenage boys and girls will buy this phone, especially considering its one of the few Verizon phones that allow data usage and phone calls at the same time which can be very useful for business concerns.

3) Size and feel: I'm a big guy with big hands (can palm a basketball). I like the size and feel of the Rezound. It seems solid and substantial, although I'm sure some will think its kind of heavy. By comparison the Razr is too light and kind of oddly shaped. I think Motorola may have sacrificed a little too much to make the Razr so thin, although I find the design of the Razr to be very good if not striking for a cell phone. The Rezound is also designed well but with more of a form follows function approach (except for the ridiculous flush buttons) vs the eye-catching form factor of the Razr.

The Great:

1) These are the features that I think set the Rezound apart from many if not most other cell phones. First, the screen: It is beautiful and incredibly clear and realistic. The colors are not as vibrant, bright, or `pop' as much as with the Razr, but visuals are crisper and have far better resolution. Think plasma (Rezound) vs LED (Razr and other AMOLED devices); HD buffs will understand what I'm talking about. The Rezound uses the venerable, as in older, LCD technology screen (the 'eye' phone does as well) while the Razr and others use the newer AMOLED technology in their screens. As is the case with plasma vs LED, newer is not always better especially when accounting for realism!

2) The camera on the Rezound is fantastic! No, shutter lag - meaning instant pics with great customization settings and excellent resolution. Again, at first glance pictures might seem duller than with the Razr or `eye'-phone, but the execution is more realistic and the images are captured better. The dual LED is also great, providing excellent lighting. I do a lot of photo processing and the Rezound provides great raw material!

3) Sound is great from the Rezound! Besides the aforementioned ringtone and notification volume. The built in music player with beats audio is great and provides excellent sound quality. Another great feature of this phone is when you lay the phone down and play music or videos thru the external speaker the sound is amplified! Kind of like a mega-phone effect, which works great when multiple people want to hear the audio.

So overall I would give the HTC Rezound 3.9 stars. I am fairly impressed thus far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny!, January 30, 2012
N. Lind (Modesto, CA) - See all my reviews
First of all, I sell phones for a living and have had the chance to use all the newest phones including the Razr and Nexus. There is no perfect phone out there. There are things I would improve about every model on the market.

That being said, this is a great phone, the best I've ever owned! And I have no regrets about choosing it over its competition. Honestly, this phone doesn't really stand out in any category. Though it has a faster processor than its competition, it's not quite as snappy as the Razr or Nexus. Though it has a 720p screen it doesn't look as vibrant as the Razr or Nexus. The Beats by Dre software is a joke, though the headphones are decent enough.

But, here's the catch! The HTC may not stand out in any one catagory but when you add it all together it makes for a better phone. I have never had a dropped call. I have not had a single connection issue, battery problem, software glitch, or hardware issue since I got the phone in November! I have not had a single customer return their Rezound because of a problem. The Nexus, Razr, and Bionic, on the other hand, come back on a daily basis for a variety of weird and annoying problems. This HTC is solid all around and still a top tier performer. I would recommend it to anyone.

Pros:
Beautiful screen
HTC Sense is sooo much better than Motoblur and Touchwiz!!!
Fast, great for multi tasking
takes great photos and video
comfortable in your hand, or pocket
4G, I regularly pull speeds over 20mbs on 4g network.
Good battery life, software manages wireless signals so you dont have to.
Free headphones
RELIABLE!

Cons:
Beats by dre software sucks
Heavier and slightly bulkier than Razr and Nexus
Bluetooth signal is only solid from about 1-15 feet.
No dedicated HDMI out.

2.0 out of 5 stars Worst phone I've every owned!!!, November 30, 2012
Went from a Droid 2 to the Rezound. Droid still functioned perfectly after two years of operation, but I was forced to "upgrade" equipment in order to keep my unlimited data plan with Verizon. I've had nothing but problems, not the least of which was a total lockup during a software update. Phone was replaced under warranty. Then, it needed to be replaced again due to slow/sluggish performance and daily crashes requiring a battery removal to power cycle. HTC/Verizon does not allow ad hoc wireless (so I can't operate my AR Drone), and hotspot connectivity costs extra to enable. Battery life isn't the greatest, especially connected to 4G. 4G is only marginally faster, but I don't know if that's HTC's or Verizon's fault. Power/comm cable connection is flimsy and not a standard mini USB. I have the docking station and use(ed) the phone for clock/alarm at night. Last night, while placing the phone into the dock, the phone connector broke. I could still connect the cable directly to the phone, but the docking station would not work. Menu structure makes finding features and functions difficult. I gave it one extra star for the screen clarity, but everything else is pretty crummy on this device.

2.0 out of 5 stars This model has got problems, August 11, 2012
I really wanted to stick with the Rezound, but I'm moving away from it after a combination of poor service from HTC and some chronic problems with the hardware itself. I've had four examples of this model, starting with a new one just a month after they came out. Three rebuilt examples later, and I've really lost faith in the model, not just the specific piece of hardware.

There are software design and component problems that make this a weak, unreliable model.

I had hoped the change from the "Gingerbread" operating system to "Ice Cream Sandwich" would have fixed issues that include jamming up, high battery consumption, loss of orientation, loss of signal coordination between 3G and 4G, and mysterious, sporadic slowdowns in getting from one function to another, random among functions.

But ICS did not help.

One reason I wanted to keep the Rezound, and gave HTC four tries, was a very good camera app that permits a wide range of user inputs with settings that are remembered between sessions. WONDERFUL.

Another reason is the swappable battery. I have the factory extended case and high-capacity battery. I've learned how to conserve power consumption through various settings, such as by going to 3G/CDMA only when I don't need 4G speeds, turning off wi-fi, and not using bluetooth. At times, without rhyme nor reason, I get many times the usual battery life, under identical operating conditions as far as I can tell.

The screen is great. The resolution and brightness among the best. The glass seems to be ruggedized, like "Gorilla" glass by Corning, but I was very disappointed to find out too late that the cover over the forward facing camera lens is PLASTIC. One of them scratched, another one showed scuff marks from ordinary use. I have a sleeve and belt clip but it was not adequate protection.

I've tentatively gone over to the Motorola Razr Maxx. The video resolution is better, with bitrates in the 15,000 range rather than the 9,000 seen at best on the HTC. I don't like the Motorola's camera interface. Won't remember settings, and no touch-to-focus on video. Blunt, crude adjustment for exposure rather than the refined Rezound UI.

The Maxx's battery life is equal to the extended battery of the Rezound. I happen to like the bulk of the Rezound with extended housing, and I don't like the grip I get on the Maxx. Too thin for my hands.

The Rezound has never been promoted/marketed by Verizon to the extent of other smartphones the company offers. I think the reason for that might be the company's own lack of faith in the HTC from reliability problems I and others have reported.

Too bad. I really like the HTC when it works. I cannot have a phone that randomly craps out, at times needing a factory reset with a loss of all downloaded apps, all email accounts, all settings, and any video/images that may mistakenly have gone to the phone instead of the microSD card.

That reminds me to say I like the Maxx's covered door to remove the microSD without having to pull off a cover in the HTC. Has anyone here had their microSD fly out of the phone when you slide it out??? Uh-HA ! Me too. Keep your thumb on it as it comes out of the slot.

And I should note that the extended factory cover, which contains all the antennas, does NOT have a very firm grip on the mainframe. The outer sleeve I have is probably the only thing holding the back cover in place reliably during occasional bumps and rough handling. I've refrained from using my spare extended battery and/or removing my microSD card because I don't want to wear out the marginal tangs that sit in the mainframe groove.

The micro-USB cable is an HTC variation on micro-USB seen throughout the smartphone world. It has additional flanges that provide mechanical strength, and I hope other makers adopt the design. Contradicting another review on here, CONVENTIONAL micro-USB chargers and feed cables WILL fit and the ReZound recognizes them when connected to a freestanding control computer. Using a laptop or desktop, and having the Rezound in "disc drive" mode is how I work-around the problem of an inconvenient microSD card.

But because of the overall reliability issue, and the short time between failures, I have to conclude Too Bad, HTC, I gave you the best chance I could afford.

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›