5.0 out of 5 stars State of the art
I don't know which is more impressive, the hTC Rezound or Verizon's 4G LTE network. I switched from the hTC EVO 4G on Sprint to this phone and the difference couldn't possibly be more dramatic.

Display:
Physically, the phones are a similar size. These large format smartphones take some getting used to, from carrying them in your pocket to the fine art of...
Published on November 23, 2011 by Sam P

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, Bad Battery
*Once a 4.5 star review, then down to 3.5. Now this review has been rewritten with one conclusion: DON'T EVEN BOTHER!*

TESTS:
------
This review used to contain a breakdown of two test scenarios (from 100% battery down to 10%) conducted and repeated within the first 30 days of using this phone. The results were good and acceptable for most people,...
Published on December 12, 2011 by L. Mills

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 414 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Here's my HTC Rezound Review Novel., April 17, 2012
This review is from: HTC Rezound 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
Came from Droid X

Price- $49.99 from my cell phone service provider during a recent sale. I couldn't believe my eyes how cheap it was. The cheapest here on Amazon was something like 129.99 a while ago. I had my eye on this phone from the get go. I was just waiting for the right price point to drop. I'm glad I waited for this phone instead of pulling the trigger on the Bionic. I bought this brand new as well. The Droid X I bought last year was $100 and it was certified pre owned.
Size- big 4.3 inch screen. Thick and heavy. Fits nice in the hand and fits in my jeans packet easily. It also fits in my Droid X cradle and car dock as well. Build quality seems good. The back panel is not easy to take off, but it's not difficult, either. I'm worried though that if I take off enough times, it'll wear down and become looser.
Call Quality- loud and clear. Sometimes have to move phone away from my ear it is so loud. I haven't had many phone calls. I also haven't had any dropped phone calls. Verizon is an excellent service in my area.
Data- I'm living in a 3G area but I do go to 4G areas frequently and the phone is blazing. Another kudos to Verizon's network. I think it's faster than my home's wifi connection. Couple this with a dual core processor and it's a joy to use to stream music, surf the web and download and upload files. The only hiccup I noticed was when I was at the beach, it asked if I wanted roaming data because Canada is right across from Lake Erie where I live. It said something about roaming on your trip (to another country?) I had to turn data off at that point.
GPS- locks on faster than my Droid X. I use my phone as a dedicated GPS in the car so it was important that this works flawlessly. And it does. It also appears to be more accurate. Very rarely did the Droid X lock on precisely where I was. Additionally, on the Droid X, it took a while for the GPS to turn on. On the Rezound, it's instantaneous. Initializing the navigation app on the DroidX was hit or miss. I just turned it on in my living room and the Rezound found my location precisely. The Droid X had to be outside, away from the house before it locked on. Sometimes it had to wait till I was driving away from my house.
Hardware and capacitive Buttons- No dedicated camera button which isn't a big deal, but was a nice feature on the Droid X. The power button is nearly flush with the body frame. It can be difficult to find without looking. Putting a case on the Rezound makes it a little easier to find. The volume buttons are ridiculously difficult to press down. And the case I bought for it actually makes it harder. So I decided to download an app that gives me onscreen controls to volume. This is not ideal because the screen has to be woke up and on to use the app. The 4 capacitive buttons on the bottom work well. They are very touch sensitive. Although I enjoyed using the tactile feedback of the Droid X's hard buttons, these capacitive buttons are a joy to use. The fact that you cant use the buttons until the phone is woken up from sleep may be a good thing to prevent accidental button presses.
Camera- I rarely use the video recorder but I took a video is a low light situation for about 5 minutes and it came out nicely. Sound was excellent. Some blurring as I panned back and forth. I used the 1080 HD setting. It didn't use up much battery, which I found surprising. The camera is faster than the Droid X in terms of initializing and shutter speed. It has some great settings. I especially like the Action Burst, which takes five pictures in succession to allow you to choose the best picture among the five. I'm not a camera buff so I'm not going to comment anymore. I haven't used the front camera yet, except to just try it out. It'll only work in a well lighted area because of no flash.
Music- Meh. My music is in the cloud, which uses Google's Music app, not the phone's music app. So I can't comment if the Beats make a difference. The headphones look nice. Not sure if they are worth a hundo. The external speaker is loud. Louder than the Droid X's speaker.
HTC Sense 3.5- Coming from Moto Blur, it was a minimally skinned phone on the Droid X compared to the Rezound. The only widget I liked on Blur was the contacts widget. HTC Sense is real nice. I hated using a lock screen on the Droid X but this lockscreen is actually useful! It has short cuts for phone, camera, and messages and then I put navigation on it. Really cool. I use the power settings widget, the Friend Stream Widget, which combines my twitter feed and Facebook feed, the People Widget, which loads a specific group of contacts and their latest activity from Facebook, twitter, whatever. There's a great text messaging widget that presents your latest texts in a card setup. You can flick through the cards vertically to see your latest conversations. Scrolling is smooth through home screens but not very fast. Returning to the home screen from an app doesn't hang the phone up at all, apps and widgets populate fast.
Display- Crisp and clear. Colors pop. Not easy to see in sunlight. Much better looking than the Droid Bionic. It does attract fingerprints like crazy. No Gorilla Glass means less peace of mind, but I'm not sure if it makes a difference. I'm sure all smart phones now have some sort of reinforced glass.
Battery- Not sure. I have switched among the power settings but haven't used each one consistently to determine which is best. At times the phone will last a day, other times, it'll only last the morning; it all depends on what I'm doing. The biggest drain seems to be streaming music online through tune in radio, Pandora or MLB At Bat 12. I bought a second battery on Amazon for $10 and a battery charger here for a few dollars. Don't need a cable for it, the second battery sticks right into the charger and the charger plugs into a wall outlet. So I always have another battery at hand. Fits in your pocket too. Battery seems to last longer if I stay on 3G rather than 4G.
Overall, it's a beautiful phone that does nearly everything I want it to do. It was a steal for the price I paid for it. I would recommend an extra battery.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Phone with a few problems, March 13, 2012
Mentallo (Lake Grove, New York USA) - See all my reviews
This is currently the best Verizon phone on the market. I will not list the specs again since you know them by now.
I will only list the problems you might have with the phone (just makes it easier and quicker)

CONS:

1) Battery Life is very short. Due to the powerful CPU and the amazing HD screen the battery is not adequate enough to give you a prolonged multimedia experience unless you have it hooked up to power. There is a extended battery available that helps a lot with the battery issue but also makes the phone a lot thicker. I personally do not mind the added millimeters, the phone actually cradles better in your hand but many people will find it too thick (especially women with their dainty hands :)

2) The phone runs hot. Again, the processing power of the phone generates heat in the battery and the phone runs hot when you play certain games or watch a lot movies. There have been reports of some people getting over 140 degrees which is way to hot and they exchanged their phones and have not had the issues since. My phone doesn't get hotter than 120 max and only if I play graphic intensive games for too long. But dont forget iPhones get hot also so its a side effect of smartphones at this time.

3) Red buttons are pink on some peoples phones

4) Case creaks when you hold it a certain way.

5) Camera pictures look a little yellowish when taken indoors. (This phone has a awesome camera though)

6) Some people have reported a hissing sound in the headphones. I personally didn't have this issue at all.

Thats about it. IMHO the PROS outweigh the CONS. This is a great and you will have a lot fun with it.
If you want to getting even more speed and power out of it I recommend rooting it and removing all the crapware Verizon puts on these phones. Your performance will go through the roof after doing rooting it. The Rez has a great community on XDA with a lot of great Roms to install ([...])

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone - power users should buy an extra charger, March 11, 2012
Made the switch from a Blackberry Bold to the HTC Rezound a couple weeks back. I did a ton of research and it came down to iPhone 4S or the Rezound. My wife has the iPhone 4S, so I had a strong reference of comparison before I purchased and during my 14 day trial period. I opted for the Rezound for a number of reasons and I have not been disappointed!. This phone is one incredible powerhouse. The HD screen pops, and the 4.3 inch size is perfect IMHO...bigger (and much nicer) than the iPhone screen, but not so big that you can't use one hand to do most everything. Some reviews mention that it is a thick phone, but I have compared it to the super thin Razor and the Rezound just feels perfect in your hand. Other reviews have criticized HTC's Sense overlay, but I personally love it...it is very practical, functional, and customizable. It really allows you to make the phone unique to you. The camera is unbelievable, and rivals my personal high-end camera in quality. The Beats headphones and the overall audio experience are fantastic. If you could give 4&1/2 stars, that would be my rating, as this phone isn't perfect. My only concerns are that I was able to port over most, but not all of my iTunes library (cannot if you don't have DRAM permission), and the battery drains pretty fast on this puppy if you are a power user. I was on a business trip last week, and was without the ability to recharge during the day for two days during the trip...by the end of both days, the battery was below 10% by 9 pm. Luckily there are several apps that help conserve battery life and HTC offers some settings that will help too. I also bought a cradle charger for work, so I don't expect many issues. But I hear that 4G phones all experience this kind of drain when you use the 4G network frequently. Overall, just a fantastic phone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Everything was all good until...., November 19, 2012
I've had this phone for about a couple of months now; I was excited because this was my first smartphone. At first, I did notice little bugs here or there but it was nothing major. It wasn't anything I couldn't deal with. Maybe that should have been the red flag that sent me packing: the screen freezing and the unlock patterns acting wonky. I just assumed things would get better and the problem would eventually resolve itself.

Then today, everything went wrong. I can't receive/send texts or make calls. I actually liked this phone, but I wish I would have known about all of the problems the HTC brand has. The Rezound isn't the only phone in this franchise that has had the same problems I've been faced with; I've been browsing the internet to find a fix for it and its pretty much all of the subsidiaries under this brand that have the same, exact problem only in different levels. Needless to say, this is a brand I won't becoming back to.This was my first smartphone and it has surely left a bad taste in my mouth. I will probably get a Droid next, if I get another smartphone that is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Since the Ice Cream Sandwich update it's like having a new phone!, August 7, 2012
My Rezound was starting to act sluggish and drop data a few days before the update arrived to the point I was ready to take it in for replacement, but just then it went through a major update, the new 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich operating and ow it's like having a brand new phone. Smooth. Super Fast. I love this thing again and more! I've had my Rezound since January of 2012 and the only thing I didn't like about it before was being promised the update within a couple months but not having received it until now (August). I'm over that at this point and just glad to have the new ICS operating system.

The Beats headphones are a true bonus as well. I have a set of Sennheiser headphones that were $100, but these blow them away. I run with my phone and use it to keep track of my runs and as my music player as well. The 4G keeps my online music streaming flawlessly.

Also, the camera is the best I've ever used on a phone and I've used iPhone's and multiple other Androids. This camera can not be beat.

The voice recognition is darn near perfect as well. There are only a few times it's ever not gotten the transcription to the letter. Saves a lot of time and re-typing.

Overall it's a fantastic state of the art phone and I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone: has flash support with ICS, July 24, 2012
Traded in a Razr Maxx because I lost flash video support when upgrading to ICS (Ice Cream sandwich). The Rezound is one of three or so phones that is certified to play flash videos after ICS upgrade. I am all for the conversion of flash to html5 platform, but nothing happens overnight.The phone has better picture quality and the extended battery will last as long as Razor Maxx. The 4g connection also seems to be a little more stable on the Rezound. Battery life is not great with any smartphone, but the extended battery will last me all day (5:30 am to 10:00 pm) with light to moderate use. Watching the videos will drain the battery rather quickly. I am happy that I switched to the Rezound during the 14 day exchange period. It is important to me that I can access videos from websites.

Pros

will have flash support in ics, beautiful hd screen
Cons

somewhat on the thick side-especially with extended battery

5.0 out of 5 stars Works better with ICS, June 30, 2012
This phone was a little bit dissapointing when I first picked it up, but I have since installed the new Sense 3.6/ICS 4.0.3 ROM onto it and now it is INCREDIBLE!! I absolutely love it and am more than satisfied. At first it was sluggish and laggy with poor animations....now it is snappy and beautiful! I highly recommend this device when the OTA ICS comes out (hopefully very soon, according to the sources on the internetz). Get it while it's cheap!

3.0 out of 5 stars Problematic, May 1, 2012
J. Polizo (Santa Cruz, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I've had this for about three months and I'm on the third phone. The first one went into a continuous reboot cycle where it just rebooted all the time. They sent me a replacement apparently because I had bought the "protection plan" (gee, what happened to the warranty?). The replacement was also bad (WiFi kept starting and stopping which made WiFi useless and also disabled the Mobile Hotspot). Finally got a third one and this one seems like it works better than either of the other two.

Battery life sucks completely. I paid $50 and got an "extended battery" which makes the phone much thicker and heavier. Still, the thing will drain itself in half a day easy. In fact, if I go to bed with the battery on 50%, I will wake up to a dead phone. I would imagine the "standard" battery goes dead not very long after you turn the phone on.

The display is good, the speed is good, the apps are good, and it seems like a pretty rugged phone when it hasn't fried itself. The video quality is actually surprisingly good; it's better than my camcorder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this phone!!!!!, February 16, 2012
Scott (Helena, Malta) - See all my reviews
I did my research and narrowed down my choices to LG Spectrum, Motorola RAZR MAXX, and the HTC Rezound.

I am very happy with my choice, cnet.com stated that if you're buying a phone for music that this isn't a good reason to buy the Rezound....however, the sound on this phone with the Beats headphones is phenomenal (and I'm a Bose loyalist). I use Pandora, the provided music player, Sirius/XM, Stitcher, and other audio apps and the sound is great on all of them.

Camera - Great 8MP camera and video, I have a good camera but hate carrying it. This phone allows me to take great pics of my kids on the go.

HTC Sense - I like it, not necessarily a reason to buy the phone but it has some nice features. Allows for quick use of Facebook and Twitter, upload of photos, review stocks, and view your schedule.

Battery - I play games and use my phone for everything all day, so instead of wasting time with the basic provided battery I bought the extended battery upfront (Verizon is offering it at 1/2 price through March). My phone lasts all day on one charge with heavy use (I do not have 4G where I am located and understand that this may use up more battery). At 11:30pm is when my battery is low (5% power). The big thing with the extended battery is that it adds to the size of the phone; one reason I considered the MAXX...but in the end I love the HD quality video and great audio too much to go with the MAXX just for size.

Phone calls - works great in my area and on the road, one thing I was concerned about was call quality because of other reviews but I've had no dropped calls in the month since I've bought the phone and they are very clear quality.

Case - I got the holster case when I bought the phone and the phone is big, but I love it and don't mind the size.

It's everything I wanted in a phone and more. I'm sure when I'm up for my "new every 2" there will be a great new phone with a thin, long lasting battery with all the features I want.

OVERALL - this is a great phone with a great camera, video, and audio, I love it and would recommend it, I would recommend going with the extended battery but that's just my preference.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic phone!, January 14, 2012
Switched to a Rezound from a Bionic. So far, I am mightily impressed. Even with the battery life, I'd recommend this phone to anybody.

Pros: Display is simply put, amazing. May not be AMOLED, but wow, it's still impressive. Even in sunlight, it's crystal clear and sharp.

Speed: I'm new to Sense, but I noticed no lag time flipping through the various screens. Zips right along. With a 1.5 dual-core, it better. And it does.

Call quality: No problems here. Could hear callers with no problems. And I've had not one complain about my end.

Size, feel, and design: I've read reviews where people commented about the weight of the Rezound. Said it was too big. I disagree. It feels solid in the hand, but not weighty. And I love the design. The rubberized backing is a plus, imo. Love the red and black colors.

Camera: Amazing. No shutter lag. At all. The Bionic camera was awful, even after the update. My husband has an I-phone and I was jealous at how much better that camera was. I no longer have that envy. I have sooo upgraded! Takes great pictures. Nice and crisp.

4G: Gets amazing speeds. I occasionally drop into 3G at home, but Verizon just turned on 4G near my home, so I can't complain. At work, I stay in 4G all day. Download speeds are awesome.

Beats headphones: These things are great. Comfortable in the ear and they sound great. It really didn't factor in my decision when choosing this phone, but I'm glad they came with it after trying them out.

CONS:

The power button: I find it to be too flush. I am finding myself having to actually use my fingernail to engage it.

Home button lighting: Due to the light sensor, they don't always come on. I wish HTC had an option to always have them lit and have them turn off after 30 seconds or so if not in use. Or something like that.

Battery: I guess I can't complain too much, as I get about 11-12 hours before the warning comes on, but I still wish they put a bigger battery in it. That is with decent usage (emailing, FB, Twitter, internet, downloading) Oh well, I'll probably either buy another regular battery or just get an extended one. I think you really should be able to get at least a full day on a battery.

Bloatware: Verizon's fault. I have no problem with them putting software on the phone, but I think it's ridiculous that you can't remove what you don't want. Thankfully, I hear the bootloader is unlocked to where you can make said changes. I just need to learn how to do it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 414 | Next ›