5.0 out of 5 stars State of the art
I don't know which is more impressive, the hTC Rezound or Verizon's 4G LTE network. I switched from the hTC EVO 4G on Sprint to this phone and the difference couldn't possibly be more dramatic.

Display:
Physically, the phones are a similar size. These large format smartphones take some getting used to, from carrying them in your pocket to the fine art of...
Published on November 23, 2011 by Sam P

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, Bad Battery
*Once a 4.5 star review, then down to 3.5. Now this review has been rewritten with one conclusion: DON'T EVEN BOTHER!*

TESTS:
------
This review used to contain a breakdown of two test scenarios (from 100% battery down to 10%) conducted and repeated within the first 30 days of using this phone. The results were good and acceptable for most people,...
Published on December 12, 2011 by L. Mills

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 514 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Verizon 4G phone available, December 30, 2011
This review is from: HTC Rezound 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I got this phone after doing a lot of research about the best one to get: the Rezound, the Galaxy Nexus, or the Razr? After having the Rezound for a while, I'm very happy with my choice. It's not an absolutely perfect phone- if I could give it 4.5 stars, I would- but I'd recommend the Rezound over its Android competitors in a heartbeat.

Here are its advantages:

+ The best screen. This phone simply has a much better screen than the Nexus or the Razr. It's much sharper and better looking. Go to the Verizon store, and load up a webpage with small text, zoomed out (the one I use for this test is the New York Times non-mobile homepage). The Rezound is just much sharper. The Razr is downright ugly, and the Nexus is pretty good, but not as good as the Rezound. I'd say this phone has a better screen than any other phone I've seen- it's just like the iPhone's, except much bigger. And that's exactly what I wanted.

+ HTC Sense. I really like all the features and customizations this has. I played a bit with the Nexus, and didn't like its look and feel nearly as much.

+ Very fast. No noticeable lag when I do anything. I just love how fast this phone is.

+ Good battery life. It's a 4g smartphone, so it's not going to last days and days. But I can get through a day of light use on the standard battery, and that's all I expect. I also like that the extended battery is so much bigger. I can almost get through two days on that. The Nexus's extended battery is much smaller, so it fits in the normal phone back and doesn't require a special backplate, but it doesn't actually extend battery life by much. The Razr doesn't even let you switch batteries.

+ The shape and feel. I love how this phone feels in my hand. It's just the right weight, shape, size, and texture. I know it's thicker than the Nexus and Razr, but I think they're too thin, especially the Razr. I don't even mind the thickness when the extended battery is on. The phone also feels very solid and well-built.

+ Call quality. I haven't compared this to the other two phones. But the call quality is great, and better than my last smartphone. I'm very happy with it.

+ The camera is great.

+ The headphones and Beats sound great. But I didn't buy this phone for the music, and haven't used the music features much. I really think HTC should have focused its promotions on its screen, which is better than any other phone that's been released.

+ The 4G signal is always very fast, and the GPS is always very accurate and locks on instantly. I tested the 4G, and compared the speed to wifi on my cable modem. The 4G is about as fast as my cable internet.

+ No bugs so far. I know this is a lack of a negative, but it's worth mentioning. No crashes, weird occurrences, or other problems.

Now for the negatives:

- The buttons are kind of hard to press. HTC should have made them stick out more. I've gotten used to it, but I still wish they stuck out more.

- It's not going to get the same operating system updates that the Nexus will. I know it will get an Android 4.0 update sometime next year, but I doubt it will get later updates. I personally prefer Android 2.3 + HTC Sense to the Nexus's pure Android 4.0. But I'd really like to see what Sense + Android 4.0, and 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3 will look like. I hope HTC exceeds my expectations and releases regular and rapid updates.

- The case situation. Since the extended battery requires a much larger backplate, it can't fit in a regular Otterbox case. I wish I could use the same case for the phone regardless of which battery is in, but I can't. I haven't bought any cases yet because I'm not sure what to do. If you know for sure that you want to buy a case, it might make more sense for you to just buy a second regular battery. I also wish HTC had found a way to make the extended battery in a different, more irregular shape, so that the extended battery's backplate could stick out a lot less.

- The phone has a lot of Verizon bloatware. I knew before I bought the phone that it would come with a lot of Verizon software pre-installed that I wouldn't be able to remove. What I didn't know is that some of that software would run automatically, all the time, and that if I tried to quit the programs with Advanced Task Manager, the programs would just start up again. This means that some of my phone's memory and performance is being wasted and there's nothing I can do to stop it. I know I said the phone has no lag, but I'd still like to have every bit of power I can, and not have any wasted on software like Slacker Radio that I can't remove. (I also know some people root their Android phones to remove this stuff. I'd rather not have to do so.)

- I know I said I didn't buy this phone for the music. But when I do use my phone to listen to music, it's usually through Pandora. The Beats Audio optimizations only work when you're listening through the phone's Music app, which only plays music you store on the phone. So if you're listening to music through Pandora, or Google Music, or the un-removable Slacker Radio app, you can't use Beats. Since HTC chose to promote the Beats feature as the phone's number 1 advantage (which I think was a mistake), they should have taken the effort to get this feature right.

Overall, I'd very highly recommend this phone to anyone who's considering a Verizon smartphone. It's not perfect, but I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected!, December 7, 2011
Amazon Customer (New York, United States) - See all my reviews
I'll be short and to the point: I purchased a Rezound when it became more than clear that Verizon was not going to release the Galaxy Nexus/Nexus Prime in late November. I cancelled my At&t line and opened a Verizon account so I could get the Rezound for $0.01 during the Penny Saver sale. Great decision.

Pros:
Screen is amazing. Viewing angles are mediocre but color accuracy, brightness, pixel density, and refresh rate are all better than I had hoped.

Faster than I expected - this is in part due to the fact that I was coming from a Samsung Galaxy S Captivate that was stuck with an install of pre-release Gingerbread, but everything I throw at the phone runs perfectly well and very smoothly. 720p Youtube videos are amazing to watch at a full 30fps and such clarity. Games run like butter (although the market still restricts you from purchasing games that it would clearly be able to run.

Call quality is very good for me in Nassau County, Long Island, NY.

LTE signal is strong and consistently fast for me. 65-80 ms ping (to NY, NY server) and between 20-22 Mbps down. Max upload was 6 Mbps or so.

Sense 3.5 is better than I expected. I love vanilla 2.3's launcher, but the Sense UI has come a long way and, aside from the Verizon and HTC related bloatware, is quite fast and unobtrusive for now.

I didn't get the phone for the iBeats headphones or the Beats audio enhancement but the headset (while somewhat meek and flimsy feeling) produces very good sound. A bit heavy on the bass as expected, but the highs and mids are not too shabby. Can it compare to my Etymotic hf2's? No, but it's a nice inclusion.

Cons:

Battery life - I cannot provide data to support this claim, but I can say that if you use your phone more than a moderate amount during the day with LTE on you may not make it through an 8-9 hour day. That being said I have had my phone on without charging during a good amount of use and on through the night (while at home on WiFi - set to turn off after 15 mins w/o use) get to 18 hours before dying. That includes texting (50-75 messages), internet browsing, a couple of youtube videos, brief game playing and 30 mins to 1 hour of voice. Draw your own conclusions about battery and if you are coming from an older LTE device you'll probably be pleased with the Rezound's battery performance anyhow.

Heat - the phone gets warm during: gaming (worse during 3D, but anything that keeps the screen on for a while whilst displaying a moving image will make it warm), videos, extensive web browsing on LTE, calls made while on LTE.

Development/Openness - Currently S-Off (bootloader locked) and only temporary root. Not unlocking, customs ROMS, root requiring apps (unless you never reboot) until HTC and Verizon allow us to unlock it on HTCdev.com

Bloat - This is mainly Verizon's fault and every phone you get from them will be plagued by this. There are apps installed that one cannot get rid of, processes it forces the phone to run, etc. This makes for 500 Megs of mem usage even AFTER killing all processes. Note - this is not usually an issue and rarely will interfere with your use of the device.

Randoms issues/complaints/things of note:

- I have had two random occasions when the phone turned off in the middle of the night and did not reset itself (missed my alarm). This is pure, stupid speculation, but the windows happened to be open both nights and the temperature happened to fall dramatically during the course of the evening.
- Light bleeds around the bezel and under the LEDs near the backlight for the screen.
- Generally holds onto an LTE signal very well, but it may transition to CDMA while on the train or in the car (at least for portions of the trip, but this is probably just due to Verizon LTE dead zones in Queens, NY.-
- Doesn't have ICS (although it will be getting it). When is it being updated is the question. I posted on the HTC USA Facebook page and they did respond to my statement regarding this:

[...]
- Some apps designed for devices in the 800x400 or 960x540 resolution range either 1) look interpolated and unclear/pixelated or 2) stay in their native resolution and do not fill up the screen. This is more of a complaint about Android fragmentation and those developing for it without taking advantage of multiple DPI support.
- Some apps designed for phones do not format well to the resolution/Some apps designed for tablet resolution don't work or format well either. Example of this: AMC's app for Phones and Tablets.

Conclusion:

I love this phone. It's speed, reliability, looks, feel, etc. all make up for the few qualms I have about it. If you are considering getting the phone (especially if there's a special deal for it less than $200 US) then rest assured that you'll be happy. When this gets ICS I am confident that even with whatever version/variant of Sense UI that is built into it that the phone will be even faster, smoother and more impressive.

5.0 out of 5 stars When You Turn On Your Phone, Does It Return The Favor?, May 18, 2012
Features: 5 Stars

Design: 5 Stars

Performance: 5 Stars

Overall: The HTC Rezound is music lover's dream Android device. It does many things well with very few issues. My detailed usage based review follows.

Background: I upgraded from my Droid X, and I am experienced with Android. I also consider myself to be advanced when it comes to using high tech devices - although I have never rooted an Android device.

Setup: I bought mine at a local store, and the rep did everything up to where I entered my Google account. If you are doing this yourself (and it is your first 4g phone), the new thing you will have to deal with is the SIM card. It didn't look complicated, but then nothing does when someone else is doing it. Even though they are the same size, I did *not* transfer over my micro-SD card from my Droid X. I advise you against doing this because of the extraneous data that apps place on your SD card. This can cause problems on your new device.

Call Quality: This probably sounds strange, but making calls is pretty far down the list of things that I do with my phone. I do find the sound to be better than average on my end, and I have no complaints from folks on the other end. This includes normal usage and with a Bluetooth headset.

CPU: One of the things that I noticed immediately with the Rezound was how much more responsive apps are compared to the Droid X. I have the "Dominoes" app from Amazon, and the computer turns are almost too fast (I know, a good problem to have, right?). Switching between screens and scrolling through contacts and music are as smooth as can be. This is to be expected going from a 1 GHz single core to a 1.5 GHz dual core processor. I don't play a lot of fast paced or action games, and I expect the performance to be more than sufficient for my needs.

Data: Keeping with the "it's faster" theme let's talk about 4G. I'm not going to whip you with numbers, but the difference is striking over 3G on my Droid X. I had a number of pre-installed apps that needed updates in addition to adding some that I had on my Droid X. On smaller apps I thought the download failed because it was so fast. However closer inspection showed that they were there. One of my primary uses is to keep up with my Twitter feed. Using the Twitter for Android app I clicked through a few web links, and the page loads that were painful (take Fox Sports for example) loaded in a reasonable time - long enough to take a sip of coffee.

User Interface: This is my first HTC phone and therefore my first experience with the "Sense" overlay that they place on top of standard Android. I like the general look and feel of Sense much better than Motoblur. I had a friend who had the original HTC Hero on Sprint, and I always thought it had a good interface. On the Rezound it is highly customizable, and you have access the tweak it right from the home screen with the "Personalize" button. HTC's wallpaper selection is better than Motorola's in my opinion. The one thing I would change is the unlock swipe. I liked the left to right motion much better than the Sense bottom to top. Left to right is much easier to do one handed. Actually I don't think the bottom to top can be done one handed (at least by me). Flipping between screens is quite snappy courtesy of the generous CPU mentioned above. The HTC widgets for calendar and contacts are also great. Overall, give me HTC Sense 10 out of 10 times over Motoblur.

Music: You may have heard the phrase, "Those who know can't explain. Those who don't will never understand." I have experienced few things that fit this better than the combination of Beats Audio on the Rezound along with the supplied Beats Headphones. I used WMP to transfer music over from my laptop. It syncs like any other mp3 player. The playback is just amazing. It stands up to Alternative (Garbage "Push It"), Heavy Metal (Megadeth "Public Enemy Number One"), and Rap K'Naan ("ABCs"). I have been gradually stepping up the quality of device and headphones that I've been using over the last two years. With each step up I find that I am aware of more and more detail in the music. On "Public Enemy Number One" I heard the guitarist's fingers sliding down the fretboard. While the sound is bass heavy, I don't mind it. The detail across the spectrum is just something that you have to experience. If you are a music lover, this is your Android phone.

E-mail: If you were an early adopter of the Droid X, you most likely bought an additional e-mail client for syncing with Exchange. I don't know if Motorola ever fixed this on the X, but once I bought another client there was no reason to look back. I am happy to report that the default client on the Rezound syncs with my Exchange server at work with no issue. The UI is pretty good too. The one reason that I may switch to Moxier (what I used on the Droid X) is that with Moxier it is the only thing protected with the PIN rather than the entire device. This is not just a convenience issue. If you exceed your incorrect PIN entries using Moxier, it is the only thing wiped out. If you do that with the stock client, it wipes the entire device. I see this as a larger Android issue because all devices are like this (in my experience) regardless of manufacturer.

Battery Life: Perhaps you've heard that battery life on 4G devices is in a word awful. Like many other things your mileage will vary. If you are doing a lot of streaming media that also uses the display, count on needing to charge your device more than once a day. The 4G radio is a battery pig. Perhaps the next generation of devices will address this, but in the end you don't get something for nothing. As for my usage profile I don't make a ton of calls - maybe one or two brief calls a day. I do a moderate amount of e-mail, and I check my twitter feed throughout the day. I probably also listen to music off the SD card a minimum of 1-2 hours a day. A change will get me from 5:30 a.m. to the end of the work day, but I sometimes need a boost to get through the rest of the day. This is good enough for me as I have a charger in my car, at my desk, and next to my recliner. If you need sunup to sundown on a single charge, I would either suggest getting the extended battery or looking at the Droid Razr Maxx.

Multimedia: Honestly I would not suggest any phone as a good device for watching videos given the ubiquity of tablets, netbooks, and laptops that boast larger screens that will make the experience more enjoyable and immersive. That being said I was curious how video would look on the Rezound given its 720p capabilities. I installed Netflix and fired up an episode of Mad Men which to me is a very visual show in addition to being a great drama. The colors that I enjoy so much while watching Draper and Co. on TV are faithfully reproduced on the Rezound. This is one of the few devices that actually has a higher pixel density that the iPhone 4s (no, that is not a typo). Playback is buttery smooth with 4g speeds. I can hardly imagine the video experience being much better on a phone, but it is still a 4.3" screen. As far as output goes the Rezound lacks a micro-HDMI port but rather relies on an MHL adaptor that connects to the micro-USB port. This accessory is sold separately. This matters little to me personally, but others may find it important.

Conclusion: This is easily my favorite phone that I have ever owned. Ask anyone who knows me, and you will find that music is a *big* deal to me. I now have no need to lug around a separate mp3 player. If you are like me then you should run (don't walk) to get your hands on one of these. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd actually give it 4.5 stars, May 17, 2012
I had a Droid Incredible for 2 years and held out on buying a new phone. I waited for new options to come out as the Incredible was at the top of the line for awhile.

When I started looking at new phones it was between the Rezound, Galaxy Nexus, and the Droid RAZR.

I settled on the Rezound for a few reasons, it was the first true HD display, it's processor was faster, I was already used to HTC sense, and the battery was replacable and so was the memory.

Overall I am happy with the phone, thought it does tend to glitch on me from time to time (randomly soft reboots, phone doesnt actually turn off). I really like HTC's Sense UI and just felt the RAZR with MotoBlur was clunky, and the GNEX was nice, but felt limited.

Speed of this phone is great so no complaints there, only real complaint I have is the thickness, but it is bareable.

Overall 4.5 stars and can't wait for HTC to push Ice Cream Sandwhich to the Rezound!

2.0 out of 5 stars UI is Flawed, May 10, 2012
Jason "NOT A TECHIE!!" (Orange County, CA USA) - See all my reviews
If it worked, I would have very nice things to say about this phone. Unfortunately, it is clear that this product was released before the User Interface was ready. Here is a list of the issues I dealt with (and I know from my on-line research others have faced as well).

Mail client does not sync with my gmail account. I can get new emails on the phone for example, but what I delete will not delete on my gmail. Suddenly I can get text messages, but none I write will go out. When a caller hangs up, my screen goes dark, but I can't get it to light back up--yet it is still on. I try turning it on and off, nothing. Sometimes it will come back on after a few minutes, sometimes I have to open the back and pull out the battery and restart. Data network cannot be accessed, or is stuck in 1g or 3g. I have to reboot to fix. I lose all service. Then I turn off to fix. Then the phone power cycles, turning off and on over and over endlessly. The first time the only way to fix this was to do a hard reset and I lost everything. The next time I insisted on a new phone, but since have had all the other problems listed above.

In addition, the phone makes having a 4g network a joke. I mean, no exaggeration, the battery is good for about 2 hours using 4g... so what is the point?! this is the first 4g phone I have had, so I don't know if other phones are better at handling it. The 4g was never very snappy either. In fact, I often had problems getting consistent data connections, even when I knew I was in a good coverage area. So whether that is the phone or Verizon I cannot say. I can say I could care less about 4g based on my experience.

You can read other critiques of the phone in general reviews. I noticed a lot of Verizon sales guys were buying this phone. The stats on it read great, but in practice, this was a disappointment. The headphones are great though. Either Verizon is going to now give me a new phone or I will cancel with Verizon and go to Sprint.

2.0 out of 5 stars I was SO ready to love this phone.., January 1, 2012
I love technology! And I was really looking forward to recieving this phone which is why I am taking a second to compose a review. I did a lot of research and saw only good/glowing reviews of this phone so I was looking forward to a long and happy romance with it.
It was quickly shipped by Amazon at a great price-149.00. Unfortunately, out of the box the 4G sim card was defective so it wouldn't activate. I took it in to Verizon corporate store (after a few phone calls to Amazon and conferenced in with Verizon tech support-both very helpful)and that allowed the phone to begin working. Even the best relationships can start off with a few bumps right?
After using it about 45 min it became noticably hot to the touch. And not because I was feeling so passionately about the camera(which I loved). Of course this was after I left the store (30 miles from my home). I also had issues with it dropping from 3G to 1G service when my husband's "dumb phone" had a steady 4 bars. This continued at home with the phone on the dresser not moving-what?? Never had service issues with my previous Droid and Droid 2 at home or around town. After digging around on Rezound formats I discovered the overheating and service drop outs are being reported by others.
With just the wireless running I could see it's lovely, crips, screen in action but it blanked out to a white screen a few times and lost wireless signal too.
This is also a known problem.
Coincidentally I also have my mother's phone (also ordered from Amazon)having the same issues with 3G to 1G or just no G service.
Amazon folks were very helpful but it's time to part company with both phones. The bloom is off the rose. I am now skeptical of the build quality and felt others might want to be on the look out for problems. After 14 days you no longer get a new phone, so dont dismiss problems. Just my thoughts as I reflect on what might have been....

5.0 out of 5 stars maybe the best phone out right now, January 10, 2012
There are a lot of phones with a lot of hype out right now. This phone lives up to all of that hype...

First off, the screen is absolutely amazing. For those who believe those amoled screens are the best out there, you are wrong. Hold this screen up to an amoled screen, and tell me amoled screens are better. And as for the size, I owned an iphone 3g before this one. I was skeptical at first about toting around a 4.3" phone. After owning the rezound, I will never go back to a small screen. The huge screen with the 720p res is absolutely incredible (not to mention higher ppi than the retina display on the new iphones.)

Can't write a review on the rezound without mentioning the beats audio integration. The beats equalizer thats built into the phone: it's nice a addition, but really is a gimmick. You could make the same effect with an eq app. The real gem is the ibeats headphones that it comes with (retail $100.) They produce great bass response, lively mids, and crisp highs. They arent as saturated with bass as other beats headphones are. The combo of audio and headphones are not tuned for just hip-hop music. I am a huge Beatles fan, and it is a treat to listen to them on these headphones.

The hardware inside is pretty impressive: dual core 1.5 Ghz snapdragon processor and 1 gig of ram. What is a little discerning is the slight amount of lag on the interface. Sense 3.5 is very clock heavy, and seems is to be slowing down the phone a tad, the 720p screen probably has something to do with this as well (sense 3.5 is sweet btw.) One thing that is very annoying is that when you switch music tracks, there is a slight skip in the audio. This should not be happening on a phone that emphasizes audio and has a huge dual core processor. The hardware and software is not as integrated as you would find on an iphone or probably galaxy nexus. Maybe when android 4 comes out for this phone, these lag issues will be fixed. I guess the lag is only really noticable if you look for it. Just don't look for it. Forget I ever said this.

The battery is the one thing people keep complaining about on this phone. These are the people that have no friends and all they do is play on their phone all day and stream video and music over the ridiculously fast LTE connection (25 Mbps in some places.) Use this phone like a normal, non-loser human being, and you will end the day on a "green" battery. Another thing people complain about is that it is too thick. Go to a verizon store and hold a razr in your hand, hold this phone in your hand, and tell me that the razr feels better. The razr is for losers who want a gimmick in the form of a cell phone.

I somehow managed to get this phone for one cent on Amazon. I would spend the $300 if I had to, and I am not rich by any means. This is a boss of a phone. Incredible screen, blazing fast, great headphones, and good battery life. HTC is marketing this phone towards teen hipsters, but I guarantee the biggest tech nerds will be more than happy with this superpowerful phone. Buy this ish.

2.0 out of 5 stars Worst phone I've owned, bar none!, May 2, 2013
This phone has been an absolute pain to use. The internet is slower than my home computer 10 years ago. Battery life is abysmal. Randomly shuts off at least once a week, sometimes several times in a day. Freezes up. And I've only had it 6 months or so. My old android incredible was waaay better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Terrible Phone, Slow, Buggy, and Almost Unusuable, March 29, 2013
It actually came out of the box and the phone function itself didn't work, it wasn't until it got a software update that it actually worked. Right now it's unbearably slow. It takes it 60+ seconds to load up IM+ after it has been dumped out of RAM. I usually press and app and just walk away and come back when it's loaded. I've tried formating the thing 4 times, tried different Android builds, flushing the flash, and even kernel hacks. Nothing will make this thing any faster. Also the battery is terrible, even with the extended battery. Using it all day, it will end up dead before the night, and that's with the extended battery that makes it thicker than any smart phone on the market now. Bleh, I ranted about it so long on Facebook I'm all ranted out now, the thing just sucks.

2.0 out of 5 stars HTC Rezound, March 18, 2013
I've had the HTC Rezound for 1 year now. It's a good "device" but a poor phone.

CONS:
The call quality when receiving a call is terrible because the speaker "buzzes" when people speak fast or loudly on the other end. This is the 2nd Rezound I've had and the first one had the same issue. The phone's microphone is very sensitive and picks up background noises and magnifies them and makes it difficult for the people I call to hear me as well. If you make a lot of phone calls I can not recommend this phone.

Phone has "Beats Audio". I didn't notice a significant difference in audio quality over my iphone 3GS.

PROS:
This was one of the few phones I found that had zoom plus "wrap around text" built into the web browser. Much easier to read text than on other phones where you can only see part of a page and have to scroll back and forth. The phone is a very good size and easy to hold, display is very good as well.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 514 | Next ›