5.0 out of 5 stars State of the art
I don't know which is more impressive, the hTC Rezound or Verizon's 4G LTE network. I switched from the hTC EVO 4G on Sprint to this phone and the difference couldn't possibly be more dramatic.

Display:
Physically, the phones are a similar size. These large format smartphones take some getting used to, from carrying them in your pocket to the fine art of...
Published on November 23, 2011 by Sam P

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, Bad Battery
*Once a 4.5 star review, then down to 3.5. Now this review has been rewritten with one conclusion: DON'T EVEN BOTHER!*

TESTS:
------
This review used to contain a breakdown of two test scenarios (from 100% battery down to 10%) conducted and repeated within the first 30 days of using this phone. The results were good and acceptable for most people,...
Published on December 12, 2011 by L. Mills

‹ Previous | 15 6 714 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but pretty darn good., January 9, 2012
This review is from: HTC Rezound 4G Android Phone (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I've had the Rezound for 2 weeks now and really like it. Before Christmas, I was trying to decide between the Motorola Razr and the HTC Rezound. I was having a difficult time deciding as the two phones were similarly priced. Well, when the Rezound dropped to $149.00 (for an upgrade for an individual account), that made my decision for me. So, here is my "two cents" on what I think of the phone:

Bloatware- the amount of bloatware on this phone is appalling. I'm not sure whose fault it is, Verizon?, HTC? or both? but with the amount of bloatware this phone has and all the money someone is getting from these vendors, the phone should be FREE! The worst part is that you can't delete it even if you want to. I can't wait until the phone is completely rootable so I can delete it for good. This is my biggest complaint about the phone.

Phone Call Quality- reception and voice quality is good on my end. I'm not sure how good my voice is or isn't on the other end.

Screen- despite the HD 720p resolution, the screen is not up to par with the Super AMOLED screens which have better contrast ratios and brightness. Blacks are really more of a "dark gray." That being said however, the screen still isn't bad. Netflix movies look great on it. To be honest the screen only looks sub par when it's held right next to a Super AMOLED screen.

Size- the phone fits very comfortably in my hand and in my pocket. The back is slightly curved. The corners are rounded. It has some heft to it. So yes, while the Rezound is thicker and heavier than the Razr, in my humble opinion, the Razr is too thin, too light, and just too big overall. I found the Razr to be uncomfortable and awkward to hold. In reality, the Rezound isn't that thick, it just seems like it is in comparison to the Razr.

Battery- any 4G phone you get where you keep the Bluetooth, GPS, Wireless, e-mail push, and auto-sync on with brightness at max all the time is going to have deplorable battery life. The name of the game is Power Management now, and with all the widgets that HTC Sense has, these operations are very easy to manage. With moderate call and internet usage, I find my battery will last a solid day. However, if I'm going to stream a movie through Netflix and watch it at maximum brightness, I'll be lucky if I can get through the whole movie. The other thing the Rezound has over the Razr is that it has a removable/replacable battery. Now, don't get me wrong, while the battery technically is removable, it is not an easy or convenient task to accomplish. It's not like a battery cover just slides off and you can swap out batteries just like that. Instead, the whole back cover of the phone has to come off. Once off, the back cover does seem a little fragile. Even though taking the back cover off may not be that easy, at least you have the ability. If necessary, you can swap out batteries or install an extended run battery if you want to. True, an extended run battery is thicker and heavier and it does add size and weight to the phone, at least it is an option. There is no option for the Razr.

Sound- I enjoy listening to music, and while "Dr. Dre's Beats Headphones" are probably not the first choice of headphones I would buy, they certainly are not that bad. It's nice to finally have a decent accessory included with a phone. The nice thing is they have a built-in mic too for calls.

HTC Sense- It's one of those things that you like or you don't. I came from an Original Moto Droid that I had running Launcher Pro. Launcher Pro is similar in a lot of ways so I found the transition over very easy.

Camera- Fantastic! It takes great shots with lots of options and effects. This is the first phone camera I've seen that rivals the iPhone.

Processor- the phone is quick. Boot-up time is fast and I find very little lag. Although Verizon's 4G LTE network really has nothing to do with the phone itself, the two together make for one great combination.

Overall, I am very happy with my HTC Rezound. Even though it is loaded with bloatware, I think I definitely got a bigger bang for my buck with the Rezound when compared to the Razr.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone and Fast Internet, December 29, 2011
First, I am a very particular about my phone, so I shopped around for quite some time. I finally decided to try the HTC Rezound and I am more than pleased! This phone does everything that I want a phone to do.....and more. The speed of the phone and the 4G LTE on Verizon is amazing! It is so fast that I cancelled my slow T-Mobile Internet and I now use my Rezound as a hotspot for my entire home! Amazon Wireless was also very helpful with my purchase. If you are thinking about a Rezound, buy it, you won't be sorry!

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME phone - But....., December 10, 2011
This is the BEST phone I have ever had, i truly mean it - VERY smooth processing, very fast start up, great surfing, great call clarity - BUT, the battery that came with it, onyl last about 8 hours with pretty heavy use. So, I went ahead and got the extended battery, it makes a huge difference, I get about 14 to 17 hours now with the same amount of usage.. One thing, this battery and cover DOES make the phone bigger, BUT, for me at least, that is what makes me give this a A+ rating, it is MUCH mroe comfortbale now to talk, to type, and mainly, to play games - With normal battery, phone was a bit too thin, and I accidentally hit buttons I didnt want to when typing or gaming, again, If you are thinking of this or the hyped out Razr, do yourself a favor and GET THIS PHONE, hands down, the best, I mean BEST phone you can buy!

Pros - Everything except battery - Do yourself a favor and get the bigger battery, it last double the time and has a better feel all the way around.

Cons - The battery that comes with the phone - hard to type and to game, as well, it onyl lasted 8 to 10 hours on a good day!

A++++

5.0 out of 5 stars Rezound Astounds, December 10, 2011
D. Ellis (Hendersonville, NC) - See all my reviews
I recently upgraded from the HTC Eris to the HTC Rezound and have been quite pleased so far.

I've been a fan of HTC after having dropped my Eris onto concrete or asphalt from chest height on multiple occasions (yes, I'm prone to dropping things). My Eris has some interesting scratches and gouges along the corners but this has never affected the performance; HTC phones are built well.

The best HTC tumble to date has got to be the most recent: an HTC Thunderbolt belonging to my wife that hopped down half a flight of uncarpeted stairs into 2" of water while on hold with my homeowner's insurance agent.
Mercifully, the rear door and battery sprung out during the tumble before landing in the drink, but after drying out on top the Keurig for a couple hours, the battery was placed back in and she started right up. My wife says this is why we can't have nice things but I think I just need a lanyard or something.

Granted, my experience with phones is rather limited but I'm a rather picky person (so I've been told). This phone has lived up to every demand I've made of it other than battery life.
From a full charge, my Rezound will last to about the end of a 10 hour workday with about 20% charge left. I typically check my email, fact-check BS from various co-workers on Google or play Words with Friends throughout the day, culminating in roughly 60-100 minutes.

I guess considering with the snappy 1.5Ghz dual-core processor, 720p 4.3" screen and 1GB RAM, this is not completely unreasonable. However, I have noticed I can extend run-time if I opt for WiFi when available. WiFi is actually easier on the battery than 3G (and especially 4G), so if your Rezound pesters you to run it when free access is abound, let it.

My only suggestion to anyone planning to use this phone for extended periods away from an outlet is to purchase a portable charger, such as those from New Trent.
My pocketable New Trent IMP99D cahrger (9,900 Mah) allows me to completely charge my Rezound 4 times before needing a recharge. Or for those who travel, this means at least 7 hours of NetFlix or HBO-go streaming video on 4G.

Though not the lightest or thinnest phone out there running 4G, the Rezound impresses me something fierce!

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye IPHONE HELLOOOOO HTC., December 9, 2011
I was a little worried at first because i loved my IPHONE on AT&T. I wanted a phone that had 4g speed and after reading all the good reviews i said to myself let me gives this a try. I am glad i did listen to the reviews. This phone and with the Verizon service is unbelievable. First off the Rezound is a sexy phone with everything you can imagine on it. I loved the fact that it came with the beats head phones. The screen is beautiful and very vibrant. The beats app is nothing special. My only cons are the android app store. i feel like the apple app store is far superior then the android app store. Other problem no itunes for obvious reasons. other than that i am sticking with this phone. It is an amazing quick phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone Upgrade, December 2, 2011
Jason Grimes (Williamsburg, VA) - See all my reviews
I bought this phone as an upgrade to my Droid X (over the Razr). The deciding factors for me were the size, screen and camera of the device . I actually prefer the slightly thicker (we are talking 0.5 an inch) and narrower device. The screens were not noticeably different but I found text to be more crisp on the Rezound. The cameras were both much snappier than my old X, but HTC has better embedded camera tools. I have camera 360 on my X and was assuming I would use it on the new phone but the HTC software is great. Also I was a bit concerned about the non-removable battery on the Razr -- one of my biggest gripes with Apple devices. I will say I miss some of the functions available on the Motorola and am still having to work my way around the new phone after a week of use (ex. no embedded battery indicator and strange voice dial).

The battery life is less on this device than the Droid X but not enough to matter to me. I charge overnight and usually during the day I will sync with my computer or plug into the car charger for about an hour -- I have never gotten below a 40% charge. Loving the 4G speeds and the ability to use the device easily with one hand.

I would definitely recommend this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Never again HTC, September 5, 2012
I told my wife not to get it. We went through four incredibles last go around. They were not even factory refurbs, all four were brand new. She wanted it and the salesman told us there would be no problems with this one. It worked okay for about a month and a half. Still on 2.3 but then it started freezing, battery life went down, camera would stay stuck on, browsers of all kinds would just shut down. We went to the store and they recommended a factory reset and the upgrade to 4.0. So after all the fun of reinstalling all of the apps we had, minus the "bad ones" that work fine on my Razr Maxx, and then upgrading to 4.0 we are left with a device that is more buggy than before, uses battery life quicker thanks to the removal of the cdma only option. Called Verizon and they say we have to run it in safe mode for a few days to make sure it isn't an app problem. So much headache. Do yourself a favor and steer away HTC. You will be glad you did.

1.0 out of 5 stars What A Piece of Garbage, August 10, 2012
My first Rezound was great for about two months until it started losing the data connection completely all day long and locking up every time a call came in. The only way to get it working again was to remove the battery. I returned that one for a "like new" refurbished piece of junk and had problems with the same data connection issue as well as a few new ones. My third Rezound was also buggy and had to be returned. The last one had problems with its settings. It never saved the settings as I chose them and regularly thought it was in a completely different city and state than it actually was. Do yourself a favor and avoid this piece of crap. I used to love HTC after having the Incredible for two years, but now I wouldn't buy an HTC product on a dare.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone Verizon has (yes better than the iPhone), June 15, 2012
My wife and I recently upgraded. My wife originally upgraded to the iPhone through Verizon and hated it. Yes I know, everyone loves Apple products, but I am one of Apple's biggest critics. They make beautiful devices but aren't functional unless you have iEverything. Long story short, my wife returned her iPhone 4S within 24 hours.

My wife then purchased the Motorola RAZR Maxx through Amazon Wireless. I, on the other hand, upgraded to the Droid Bionic. The original phones we were issued had large scratches on the display. Amazon promptly sent out replacement phones. After playing with the devices for a few days, we both were having tons of problems. We phoned tech support and after hard resets and trouble-shooting the errors persisted. The RAZR Maxx would drop internet connectivity constantly. The Bionic would freeze all the time. The most annoying thing for both devices was unlocking the phone. The Bionic was worse, but both phones would sometimes take 5-30 seconds to unlock. Opening apps was also troublesome as clicking the app link would again cause the phone to pause for a while.

We both then switched to the HTC Rezound after reading all the positive reviews and both love our phones. The display is beautiful and the phone is lightning fast. We've had zero issues so far.

One last note is the camera. The camera on the Rezound is amazing. It has a very fast shutter speed and takes high quality pictures even when the subject is moving. The camera on the Motorola devices was horrible. Even stationary objects would often come out blurry.

PROS:
1. Beautiful display with vibrant colors
2. Lightning fast speed
3. Very fast downloads (you would think the device wouldn't affect download speeds but strangely it does, at least between Motorola and HTC. Motorola took forever to download apps and files.)
4. Phone has some nice features.
5. Very fun phone overall.
6. Amazing camera

CONS
1. Battery life. But you have to consider that all 4G LTE phones have terrible battery life. The Rezound isn't all that bad though. I use my phone heavily and the battery lasts almost all day.
2. MINOR flaw that is easily fixed - there is no shortcut for the camcorder. Not sure why HTC didn't include one but a quick download from the Play store fixes the problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really love the phone, April 28, 2012
I got this phone when the Verizon Wireless website price was just $50! I have no idea why they dropped it so low since it was already sold out all over the place, but since then it is now up to $200, and it is well worth it in my opinion. I did a crazy amount of research into it before I decided to buy, notwithstanding the amazing price tag. It still seems too good to be true, but it has even exceeded my expectations, mostly because I was prepared for the negativities that people pointed out in their reviews. I'm a bit of a tech nerd, having built my own computer and repaired lots of electronics that most people wouldn't even consider repairing, so I kind of know my way around electronics better than most. For me, it is perfect, but I can see how it may be difficult for those that aren't so accustomed to how the latest technology works. Anyway, the screen looks amazing, it's insanely fast, and if you know how to manage your power options (turn off 4G, lower screen brightness, kill apps that aren't being used), which HTC makes it very easy with all of the widgets available, the battery life really isn't as bad as I thought it would be. It easily will last the whole day with light use. If you're heavily using it, you're probably sitting around somewhere that you can just plug it in anyway. Plus an extended battery is only like 40 bucks, and it almost doubles the life, so if it's that big of a deal to you, just get the extended battery. I really love the feel and look of the phone, and it fits perfectly in my hand and pocket. The Beats Audio headphones sound amazing! I was really blown away, so now I never use my iPod or iPad for music anymore, just my phone because the quality is so much better.

The main complaints I saw were lousy buttons, the lcd is difficult to see in the sunlight, the size, and the battery life. I've already talked about the size and battery-life, both have been fine for me. With the LCD being difficult to see in the sun, you just have to adjust the brightness, which is really easy with the brightness widget, just a couple touches, and then everything is very clear and bright. It has not been an issue for me at all. As far as the buttons go, they're very slim to the phone, so they may take some getting used to at first when you're trying to wake up the phone or adjust the volume, but they work fine for me and I really don't think they take anything away from the phone at all.
The only thing that's bugged me a very minimal amount on this phone is the phone ear speaker. Every once in a while is sounds odd, almost like a blown speaker would, but I can still hear the other person just fine, it just has a weird digital type sound to it. Difficult to explain but it's something I noticed. I actually generally just use my Beats headphones when I call people since they have a built-in mic (which is awesome), so it's generally not even an issue.

To wrap this up, I'd just like to compare the hardware of this phone with the Nexus, which is the big seller right now(my brother has one). The Rezound is generally much less expensive, but beats out the Nexus hardware in a few areas, which really surprised me when I first noticed it. It's worth pointing out though that the Nexus has Ice Cream Sandwich and the Rezound should be getting it soon, but it doesn't have it yet. Darn you Verizon.

Rezound: Dual core 1.5 ghz processor, 1 GB RAM, 32 GB memory out of the box (16 internal, 16 memory stick that comes with it), 4.3" 720p LCD display (not AMOLED sadly), 8 MP rear camera, 2 MP front camera

Nexus: Dual core 1.2 ghz processor, 1 GB RAM, 32 GB memory, 4.65" 720p AMOLED display, 5 MP rear camera, 1.3 MP front camera

So you can see that the Rezound actually has a better processor and better cameras, as well as coming with Beats Audio headphones. I'm not saying it's better than the Nexus since the Nexus has a better display, ICS, better battery life, and slimmer, lighter design, but I am saying you get quite the bang for your buck for the Rezound, especially when it was only $50. Love this phone! I'm so glad I got mine when I did.

I wanted to add also that I've used an iPod Touch and an iPad for a long time now, so I have decent experience with the Apple app market compared to the Android app market and I must say that I strongly prefer the Android market, since I don't like to pay for my apps. If you don't mind paying for most of your apps, go with Apple, but since I like free things much more, I really prefer the Android app market.

‹ Previous | 15 6 714 | Next ›